Author Topic: STG Thread 12  (Read 69698 times)

Re: STG Thread 12
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2012, 12:07:32 AM »
Well yes. Let's also be honest here. I don't think that Daifukkatsu is a bad game. In fact, it's actually very good. I just got a hump that I need to get over and I don't know when that'll happen but I want to at least get a Omote 2-ALL on it one day just to get some closure on it and perhabs even start to appreciate it some more.

I have my gripes with it but I just gotta get over that I guess. I still think DOJ has more solid gameplay though.

« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2012, 04:53:30 PM »
First problem is those annoying laser wheels. They suck up my resources like nothing else and practicing them is quite a pain too because of how long the stage is.

You could try the practice mode.
"First of all, for those who've cleared the game, please try playing for more points." - ZUN

« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2012, 05:00:53 PM »
Sure but the closest I can get is pre-midboss and that's still quite a way off. Yeah i know, horrible excuse.  :V I'll do it eventually.

« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2012, 08:59:29 PM »
Tried to get into Ura loop a few times. Didn't get in at all. At least my stages 1-4 are mostly down.

1 of the runs even had 30 billion after ending 1-4, which is about the max I can get with my current strategies with B-Strong, then I screwed up the backwards scroll part so didn't even beat my 61 billion. I'm not sure what exactly my score would be if I got everything right up until stage 5 midboss 2. After that it seems impossible for me to keep it without Hypers.

Of course, I should probably practice Ura before making attempts at it.

Edit: Are there any good B-Strong vids? From what I've tried in Ura in practice mode, it just feels impossible to dodge for me. And then I can't exactly look at the leaderboards for good replays to see how to dodge stuff cause the EU leaderboards suck.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 04:56:03 AM by Chaotic Phoenixma »

« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2012, 08:32:56 PM »
One of the DVD runs is B-S. This is not very helpful though since I have no idea where to find those anymore.

Edit: Wait, that one is actually in Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egEZVfB5EuA
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 08:36:40 PM by Erppo »
"First of all, for those who've cleared the game, please try playing for more points." - ZUN

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2012, 04:44:23 AM »
Fuck year I just 1cc'd Mushihimesama Futari 1.5 Original 4 hours ago, my first Cave 1cc.

Fuck no I just did my first clear in Normal Play meaning I have to do it again to have someone record it, likely Zengeku.
My profile picture is whimsy until I feel like adding something else.

Enjoy.

« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2012, 11:00:23 AM »
I don't have the means to record things from consoles yet so I wouldn't have been able to help you out with that in any case. But congratulations with clearing the game. Now please move on to Maniac mode.

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2012, 02:03:41 PM »
I don't have the means to record things from consoles yet so I wouldn't have been able to help you out with that in any case. But congratulations with clearing the game. Now please move on to Maniac mode.

No

I will play Original until I don't suck and THEN start playing Maniac.

Enjoy.

« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2012, 02:07:16 PM »
You'd also have to get a high enough score to get into one of the top spots to submit a replay. Unless I've been doing something wrong all the time to not let me upload.

And go to Black Label Original for scoring or Black Label God Mode.

As for the replay, it'd definitely be nice to see how the first loop went as that's where I can dodge stuff somewhat easily, so I know I could improve it a lot if I knew strats. I also wasn't expecting him to bomb a lot to lower rank, which seems like something I shouldn't do as I would need all the resources I can have, so I wouldn't want to waste them. I'm sure the better scores don't do that. I also didn't know you could bomb during the transition to a boss and keep the chain, but then why would you ever do that outside of lowering rank?

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2012, 02:09:39 PM »
You'd also have to get a high enough score to get into one of the top spots to submit a replay. Unless I've been doing something wrong all the time to not let me upload.

And go to Black Label Original for scoring or Black Label God Mode.

As for the replay, it'd definitely be nice to see how the first loop went as that's where I can dodge stuff somewhat easily, so I know I could improve it a lot if I knew strats. I also wasn't expecting him to bomb a lot to lower rank, which seems like something I shouldn't do as I would need all the resources I can have, so I wouldn't want to waste them. I'm sure the better scores don't do that. I also didn't know you could bomb during the transition to a boss and keep the chain, but then why would you ever do that outside of lowering rank?

You're allowed to submit replays regardless IIRC and anyone on your friends' list can go to it by searching a game mode and specify friends.

Enjoy.

« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2012, 03:02:04 PM »
No

I will play Original until I don't suck and THEN start playing Maniac.

I don't see you stopping at the sucking of Original. I simply don't. But if you want to stick with the mode then sure, I won't stop you. Just do me a favor by ignoring Enigma and not playing God mode please? I need you on my side on this.

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2012, 03:28:30 PM »
Been playing a bit of TWilight INSantiy.

The TWINS series of shmups is pretty great, although it seems to be tragically obscure.
What is striking for me is that all these games have online leaderboards.  What's more is that the game also has a shitton of content with 3 separate routes through the game and it having 32 endings among other things. One of them being an Extra stage that also has a goddamn TLB.  :*
The final stage is fantastic by the way.
The story is not half bad either, it being more involved than your usual shmup plot. The first two games also recently got an English patch so it's definitely worth checking out.

More doujin shmups seriously need online leaderboards, it makes scoring way more fun.

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2012, 04:44:34 PM »
I don't see you stopping at the sucking of Original. I simply don't. But if you want to stick with the mode then sure, I won't stop you. Just do me a favor by ignoring Enigma and not playing God mode please? I need you on my side on this.

Okay fuck god mode :V

DoDonPachi Resurrection arrived in the mail today and came surprisingly quickly. Anyway, made it to Stage 1-5 so far and I'll probably wait until tomorrow to finish because I have quite a bit of homework OTL
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 10:34:13 PM by Ace »

Enjoy.

« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2012, 10:47:23 PM »
What's wrong with God Mode? It's not like it's Ultra.

DoDonPachi Resurrection is pretty good once you get more into it.

Still don't get 2-4. There's just 1 type of enemy in that stage that really causes way too much trouble for me, sometimes even when not combined with the other stuff.. It's definitely not an easy stage at all. I'm getting a little better at the first part of 2-5 in training but still screwing things up. Would probably screw them up in a full run too. 2-3 seems mostly easy to survive in, but I just suck at it. And I can't seem to do the extend part right without Hyper. Still sucking at 2-2. I really do want to get the Ura 2-All.

Also would love to see a good first loop for B-Strong. Just for knowing where to recharge hypers and stuff. Even without the better recharge ability of Power Style, I know that 10 billion end of stage 3/start of stage 4 probably isn't all that good. Same for 30 billion after 1-4, which I've only done once by full chaining the first 4 stages. I don't exactly plan to perfect any of the chains, but I still want at least a decent first loop in an Ura All.

« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2012, 12:09:12 AM »
What's wrong with God Mode? It's not like it's Ultra.

It's not as dumb as Ultra, that's definitely true.

I'll be fair and say it's actually a perfectly solid mode. I just have a personal vendetta against it because it in terms of survival play isn't very good imo. Stages are either jokes or very memo-heavy compared to 1.5 Maniac where they were just jokes outside of Stage 4's final section. Then there are the bosses. Stage 3 and 4 had some pretty cool boss fights in 1.5 Maniac but they are so lame in God mode.

Only thing I like about God mode is the Larsa fight but it's not enough to play through a half-memo half-boring game for. Again, it's probably all good and stuff if you're playing for score but I only care about the dodging so it's not interesting to me.

Not to forget that the game moves so goddamn slow that you'd think it's rewinding itself as you're playing. God damn that slow-down is tedious. For some reason it's not a problem for me in 1.5 but maybe it's because it's not there all the time making things take forever.

« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2012, 12:38:14 AM »
I need to spend more time on God Mode and actually 1cc it sometime. Probably next year I'll start putting in the effort. I'd like to defeat 2 different Cave TLBs sometime next year, or 1 if I get Hibachi this one, and those are DFK Hibachi and Spiritual Larsa.

« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2012, 01:16:41 AM »
Good luck with that. Spiritual Larsa is kinda underwhelming though. Insta-perfect when you unlock her.

« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2012, 02:15:40 AM »
Unless you have 3 or more bombs when you get to her, you'd want to suicide during the fight.

Considering clear bonus would be 10 million * lives * bombs then double that if you got TLB. There's some things that can go wrong with getting and staying in the safespot, especially if you're using Palm. Though I'm not sure which character I'd actually go with. I do like playing both in BL unlike 1.5 where I prefer Palm.

But the requirement is very hard, and it'd take a lot of practice. I don't know if I'd actually be able to pull that one off. But DFK Ura 2-All seems doable if I practice.

« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2012, 05:14:00 PM »
Stage 1-5 works almost same with all styles so you can just see a Power replay (which are plentiful) to see how to do that. 1-4 and 1-3 differ somewhat in the beginning since the Power strats for those rely on the boost recharge. The best Strong 1-4 I know is a bit tricky and involves charging by auraing the big ships and you obviously need to be careful not to kill them.  Nereid has a good B-S 1-4 vid.

I don't really remember much about Strong 1-3. Possible recharge spots are the tanks coming from the top at the beginning and auraing the first yellow ship as you activate a hyper there. Can't really remember anything good in Youtube.

1-2 is not worth much with any ship but that works pretty much the same with Power and Strong too.

For reference, that DVD first loop has a bit over 170 billion entering 1-5 and contains no boss milking. With C-P, I normally have around 180 billion at that point so the difference in potentials is not that huge.

I also wasn't expecting him to bomb a lot to lower rank, which seems like something I shouldn't do as I would need all the resources I can have, so I wouldn't want to waste them. I'm sure the better scores don't do that. I also didn't know you could bomb during the transition to a boss and keep the chain, but then why would you ever do that outside of lowering rank?

Why would it need some other reason? The end game bonus for spare resources is minimal, so why not get something useful out of the bombs?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 05:26:50 PM by Erppo »

« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2012, 12:16:33 AM »
Way too many ND3B 45 bee loop 1 runs. Have not managed 2 or less bombs even once yet.

It's even more annoying whenever these end up with max resources or 2 bombs in stock anyway.

« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2012, 09:02:40 PM »
Been playing some DFK of my own today. I figured it was time to do something about my shortcomings on this game and uhh... news report:

I still suck major dick at it but I've improved my strategies. I've sucked it up and worked on Stage 5 and found pretty reliable paths to do the laser wheels. I'm not gonna call myself consistent at it yet but I'll say that my chances of survival has drastically improved.

Stage 3 and 4 have been practiced a bit as well but I'm still a bit annoyed with how I can't seem to consistently do them without getting hit. I'm not using hypers in practice though so I don't know if I really do have problems with these stages. It's not more than a hit here and there anyway so it should be surviveable if all I want to do is Omote.

And then for laughs I decided to NMNBNH the 2-4 Ura boss. I'm told that this boss is pretty easy but I still got hit pretty frequently by both first attack and the final attack. I guess I was being silly by getting hit by the first attack so much but i must insist that the final is pretty hard. Please don't laugh at me.

« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2012, 06:02:48 PM »
Okay. With a bit of practice, i have now been able to get 54 oku from Stage 1-2. Could be considerably improved sure but I don't understand how people manage to raise their hit count to like 10000 on that midboss. I'm usually only at 2500 on that part. :(

Still, 54 oku is half the second extend so it's good progress.

« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2012, 07:14:58 PM »
That's better than what I'm at when I leave Stage 2. But then I don't even try the laser ball trick. The only reason my score's where it's at is chaining most of the laser wheels in stage 5, though I suck at some of it.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 07:17:54 PM by Chaotic Phoenixma »

« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2012, 08:46:19 PM »
Well I did try a full run just now. I did die once because A; my Stage 5 path wasn't fully developed and B: I lost the URA route in Stage 3 so Stage 5 got some harder segments compared to the Ura route version. I also only got a pretty mediocre 30 oku or something from Stage 2 because I ended up being a coward and hypered during the final bit of Stage 2 (for god knows what reason, there's even a ship to refill the bomb in case i get hit so might as well try anything no matter how risky it is)

Can definitely do better. A bit disappointed I didn't loop because I had read that one death was allowed for Omote but apparently that's only as Power Ships or something. I'll just have to memorize the rest of the bee item locations then. Just to be sure even though I expect to be able to no-miss the first loop with a bit more practice sunk into Stage 5.

Also. Why did I lose the Ura route in Stage 3? I didn't die before at the very end of the laser wheels, so i don't get what caused me to lose it. Do you perhabs have to pick up all bee items to stay in it?

« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2012, 11:44:40 PM »
Double post because hey, i finally got somewhere.

Got a run entering the loop (somehow dying 2 times during the first loop. Stage 3 just went completely to hell) and almost made it to the cannon in 2-5 with no practice on the loop at all.

« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2012, 01:01:24 AM »
Hey I cleared Garegga.

It's funny, last time I played this was two or so years ago when I worked to get a letter score with Gain. Back then I never thought I would actually be able to clear the game. Now it just took two days, a rough strategy, bit of focused practice and a handful of run attempts. Yay for learning.

chum

« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2012, 01:57:58 AM »
Hey I cleared Garegga.

It's funny, last time I played this was two or so years ago when I worked to get a letter score with Gain. Back then I never thought I would actually be able to clear the game. Now it just took two days, a rough strategy, bit of focused practice and a handful of run attempts. Yay for learning.

Miyamoto is great, I really have no idea why I read so much nonsense about him being hard to use. I haven't played Garegga that much (will get on it at some point, fantastic game and all) but even I managed to get to glowsquid as Miyamoto, with hardly any strategies, experience or skills. I can't help but feel like the supposed difficulty of clearing it is a bit overstated.

jc_foster

• Learning the ways of the bomb
  • Specializing in idiotic deaths since 2009
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2012, 05:30:32 AM »
For no other reason than sheer craziness, I figured I take a few stabs at Futari BL God Mode. I'm amazed it took only 10-15 attempts to get out of the first stage; my best run got up to the stage 2 midboss. I can probably reach stage 3 before much longer once I get smarter about stage 1 (getting hit in stupid places hurts -.-).

I might upload that run, just because I liked how the first part of stage 2 went .... not sure yet.

« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2012, 09:35:36 AM »
For no other reason than sheer craziness, I figured I take a few stabs at Futari BL God Mode. I'm amazed it took only 10-15 attempts to get out of the first stage; my best run got up to the stage 2 midboss. I can probably reach stage 3 before much longer once I get smarter about stage 1 (getting hit in stupid places hurts -.-).

Stage 1 is probably the toughest survival challenge in the game before the final bit of Stage 3 so I'm sure you'll start seeing some good progress once you get that down.

jc_foster

• Learning the ways of the bomb
  • Specializing in idiotic deaths since 2009
« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2012, 08:52:57 PM »
Stage 1 is probably the toughest survival challenge in the game before the final bit of Stage 3 so I'm sure you'll start seeing some good progress once you get that down.

Yes, what I saw of stage 2 did seem a bit more forgiving than stage 1.

Also, did a quick novice maniac run and came out with 442m -- will definitely upload that one sometime over the weekend. Currently 28th on the leaderboard (120m off the top score).