Author Topic: 東方幻想魔録 ~ Devil of Decline Translation  (Read 240444 times)

Re: 東方幻想魔録 ~ Devil of Decline Translation
« Reply #330 on: April 07, 2014, 09:56:05 AM »
Ah, I see. Well is there a current translation patch made or at least translation notes?

Nope, we have only few links of translated parts in this topic.

I guess in 35+ days we will have a translated gameplay with the weekend patch and then the full english traduction.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #331 on: April 07, 2014, 08:59:52 PM »
I guess in 35+ days we will have a translated gameplay with the weekend patch and then the full english traduction.
Whilst I'd love that to be true (and admittedly I don't actually know how much the current translator(s) are working) , I think that estimate is probably very generous on how soon a gameplay patch would be ready.
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #332 on: April 07, 2014, 10:09:21 PM »
Even if a gameplay patch gets ready sooner, I'll still wait for the full patch before playing it since I also want to understand the plot, dialogues and stuff...

Sweetness and love~ ♥

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #333 on: April 08, 2014, 02:34:37 AM »
Whilst I'd love that to be true (and admittedly I don't actually know how much the current translator(s) are working) , I think that estimate is probably very generous on how soon a gameplay patch would be ready.

35 days? lawl.. ok Serela, you're in charge! get it done! chop chop, all failure will be blamed on you! =P.

« Reply #334 on: April 08, 2014, 01:07:58 PM »
I told 35 days because it's the date of the release of Weekend's version :)

I guess i will not have major update in game's folder, so -maybe- no more work to do with this incoming patch ;) 

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #335 on: April 08, 2014, 02:27:55 PM »
You know, when Banquet is released, it will most likely change around the addresses of many of the strings and such. While this doesn't really affect the translation in and of itself, it means that when it comes to inserting the translated text, it's all going to have to be redone according to the new addresses, once the process gets to the point. In other words, hoping for an English patch as soon as Banquet comes out? Yeaaahh... that's NOT going to happen at all.
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

« Reply #336 on: April 08, 2014, 02:36:20 PM »
You know, when Banquet is released, it will most likely change around the addresses of many of the strings and such. While this doesn't really affect the translation in and of itself, it means that when it comes to inserting the translated text, it's all going to have to be redone according to the new addresses, once the process gets to the point. In other words, hoping for an English patch as soon as Banquet comes out? Yeaaahh... that's NOT going to happen at all.

So we should we wait a other month, it's still better than have nothing :)

Alcoraiden

• Do not go gentle into that good night
« Reply #337 on: April 09, 2014, 04:22:10 AM »
I think it's not the worst idea to all get the feasibility assessed here, build our resources, and be ready to rumble when the patch comes out at Reitaisai. So keep the chat going, and let's get our army together!

« Reply #338 on: April 09, 2014, 07:49:56 AM »
it's now using NoR capture system, where monsters have forced capture rates after a certain number of defeats (but may randomly be catched earlier via rng).

Oh, thank God for that.

« Reply #339 on: April 09, 2014, 08:42:47 AM »
I compiled mauve's tools, and I did some scripts to help you to use them. Here is all this : http://www.mediafire.com/download/q1o9kjq7929zvie/DoD_tools.zip
I made a readme, also. It might be useful to read it.

My scripts can extract and repack .pak files. They still doesn't handle srsdb files, I'll implement that later.

« Reply #340 on: April 09, 2014, 04:37:15 PM »
I look at all the posts in this topic, and I want to ask something.

Have you all the translated files ? From what I understood there are only history (until Reimu's most part) and shikigami.csv to do.

I will start to take a close look at NoR, i know the engine.dll seems don't work anymore on v1.0.5/v1.0.6 , but i maybe have something else to try (since it's not the main topic i will no longer talk about it here)

TwilightsCall

• 名探偵ヱリカ参上!
  • あなたの応手を拝見しましょう
« Reply #341 on: April 09, 2014, 05:57:38 PM »
item.csv  (all the item descriptions and skills) and the globalreadout also need to be translated, which is what I currently have at the moment.

If anyone out there that is capable of inserting stuff into the game wants to be super helpful, a breakdown of Character Limits for item names, item descriptions, and skill names and descriptions would be fantastic.  I think TNG had planned on investigating this, but he is understandably swamped at the moment, so if anyone else can look into it, it'll save a lot of time later.  I don't know if the update is going to change the look/function of the interface at all, but...we can cross that bridge when we get to it lol.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #342 on: April 09, 2014, 06:49:52 PM »
I don't know if the update is going to change the look/function of the interface at all, but...we can cross that bridge when we get to it lol.
Probably not; we thankfully have precedence from them doing the same thing with GoS. They'll probably only do things like adjust drop rates, exp curve, shikigami recruit rates, etc. Also add in chests for the special shikigami that are being implemented as normal game content.

I don't know what text even looks like when inserted into the game, though, so I can't help you there.

edit:Actually, the font used may change in the weekend version. That would affect the amount of space available. It's probably best to just translate things fully for now and worry about shortening it to fit later.
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

« Reply #343 on: April 09, 2014, 07:11:22 PM »
If anyone out there that is capable of inserting stuff into the game wants to be super helpful, a breakdown of Character Limits for item names, item descriptions, and skill names and descriptions would be fantastic.  I think TNG had planned on investigating this, but he is understandably swamped at the moment, so if anyone else can look into it, it'll save a lot of time later.  I don't know if the update is going to change the look/function of the interface at all, but...we can cross that bridge when we get to it lol.

I don't know but I can tell something about it. I look at gameplay videos so I guess the character limits (since it's similar to a database I guess it's binary)

Skill name :  16
Skill description : 32 per line (seen from a battle screen for both name and description) First line seems to be the description, the second maybe effects ? Nothing i seen on the 3rd and MP usage and more for the 4th.

Item name : Seems to be 16 too, seen from player's equipment, no more than 16 slots.
Item description: 32 per line, 4 lines.

Possible reference : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ni9PMki2kI (it show almost all interfaces) / Seems we have only 8 characters for names  :wat:

But as just said Serela it can change, but i don't expect too much about it unless it wasn't the numbes i guess from interface's space.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 07:51:21 PM by Gadsu »

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #344 on: April 09, 2014, 08:20:53 PM »
If the game doesn't use the same amount of space per symbol, then the amount of japanese symbols does not necessarily mean the amount of english letters.

« Reply #345 on: April 09, 2014, 10:05:06 PM »
I began to search if I find something about the size limitations. So I looked the list of pak files, the one that should contains this is probably game.pak, according to its name. So I extract it, I go to the data folder, and
WHAT ?? style.css ??
Ok.
So, after doing some tests, it seems changing the font name doesn't works, but we can easily change the font size.
(edit : it may not be obvious for someone normal, but style.css is the file, in a web page, that contains everything concerning the design, including font size)

I continued my tests. The main one was to find if there really is a character limit, or if it's only an overflow problem.
So I tried to change an equip name : my 1st contact with srsdb files.
I spent 1 hour to find how mauve's tools works for that. There's something illogical that I could understood only by looking mauve's source code. I'd like to insult him because of this, but I can't. Firstly, he said his tools aren't intend to be reused. And secondly, after all, he did these tools, and even if there is some things strange with them, it's really better than having nothing.
So, as I said, I did some tests to see how is managed the character limit. And it seems the character limit doesn't exists. As long as we ask the game to write some text, it writes this text, even if it overflows.
Example (random letters, font size 8 ) : http://www.noelshack.com/2014-15-1397080005-ss-mrk0020.jpeg

I don't know which entry in the style.css file corresponds to the screenshot, as I changed everything to font size 8 (this kind of method makes tests easier).

BTW, I'll do some scripts for the srsdb files soon, as now I know how to use mauve's tools for them.

Edit : I forgot a tip, that may not be obvious for someone normal : to make a text displays on more than 1 line, places a \n between the lines.
For example, in the screenshot I gave, the equip name is "御幣abcpoeizofcjzeiojcfozejkfcozejifciozejdioejfuirhejif\njerifjeriufjeruirufjerifciojefocefjkpekfioerjfioerjfer"
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 10:16:04 PM by brliron »

TwilightsCall

• 名探偵ヱリカ参上!
  • あなたの応手を拝見しましょう
« Reply #346 on: April 09, 2014, 10:49:49 PM »
On the one hand, adjustable font sizes makes it cool, but I somewhat doubt that the font size is adjustable on a per-item basis...

Which means I think it would be beneficial to have a base font size that looks nice, and then use that to gauge the character limit.  As far as things are laid out in the files I received, it looks like there are supposed to be two sets of 4 lines (one for description, one for a list of effects that the item has).  I don't know how difficult it would be, but if you could mess around and find a nice-looking font size that can fit four lines of text in for the description, that would be super great.

« Reply #347 on: April 10, 2014, 07:39:04 AM »
On the one hand, adjustable font sizes makes it cool, but I somewhat doubt that the font size is adjustable on a per-item basis...
Yes, we won't use font 4 everywhere only because an equip name needs it...
And looking at the files, I don't think it's possible to adjust the font for a specific item.

In the style.css, f16p corresponds to an equip name, and f12p corresponds to an equip descriptions.
After finding this, I restored the original font sizes, I tested, and I think the default one is fine : http://www.noelshack.com/2014-15-1397115179-ss-mrk0021.jpeg
You need a 5th line, or more space somewhere else ?

TwilightsCall

• 名探偵ヱリカ参上!
  • あなたの応手を拝見しましょう
« Reply #348 on: April 10, 2014, 07:48:09 AM »
It's less an issue of needing more, as much as wanting to know what kind of limits I can reach without causing problems later.  I believe in the philosophy that it's easier for the translator to deal with making the description fit within character/space limits than it is to have me push it on to someone else to do.  I sure don't want to have to fix 1700 lines worth of spacing issues, so I doubt anyone else wants to.

But judging by that last screenshot you posted, it looks like I have about...somewhere between 50% and 200% more space than I expected to have lol.  That should make fitting things in much easier than I had expected it to be.

Thanks for investigating for me!

« Reply #349 on: April 12, 2014, 05:29:15 PM »
I had this on my computer since some days, but I was too lazy to update the readme. It is done, now, so I can upload it.
My scripts now handle srsdb files.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/q1o9kjq7929zvie/DoD_tools.zip

Koog

• I live to protect those dear to me,
  • as a good friend would.
« Reply #350 on: April 26, 2014, 11:42:42 PM »
I know this isn't the right thread but...

This is what Cheat Engine can do... I haven't started postgame stuff yet.
Mwahahahahha!

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #351 on: May 04, 2014, 05:09:07 AM »
K Serela, you're 10 days away from your promised release date, you should have something to show for us by now! chop chop! =P

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #352 on: May 04, 2014, 07:48:04 AM »
Considering Banquet coming out, though, it's not like anyone can really say they'll have something definite. Seeing as it's going to be released next week, we're going to just have to wait. :V

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #353 on: May 04, 2014, 12:29:58 PM »
K Serela, you're 10 days away from your promised release date, you should have something to show for us by now! chop chop! =P
Hey, I'm the one who was pointing out that date as incredibly unrealistic ;_; Although when I first noticed the message and read the first half of the sentence I was like "Wait are they talking about my birthday"

Although yeah, Banquet will be cool.

Alcoraiden

« Reply #354 on: May 07, 2014, 12:30:24 AM »
Yeah, we're waiting on Banquet. Sunday! (Although I expect people will be busy with ISC for a while :P )

Alcoraiden

« Reply #355 on: May 20, 2014, 03:44:39 AM »
All right, it's been a week, and ACen is over for those who went.

Also, I took a look at Strawberry Bose's site (here: http://www.gensoukyou.org/bose16/). From this, my understanding of Banquet now is that it's an expansion, not a revamping? From what the site says (crappily translated):

"This work is not an update disc. It is playable in the "Banquet" specification "Fantasy Maroku" + "Festival" by itself."

What this says to me, is that we should go ahead and translate Festival as is. Banquet seems to be an extra section added on or some such. Apparently Festival made a bunch of changes, but it seems like Banquet just tweaked a few things (http://www.gensoukyou.org/bose16/ ) and added more content.

What do you guys thing? Weigh in here. Let's not stop now.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #356 on: May 20, 2014, 04:08:13 AM »
I'm not part of the group actually working here so I don't really think it's fair to decide, but I will say that whatever the case is any work is appreciated over here.

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #357 on: May 20, 2014, 04:31:46 AM »
I'm not on translating myself, but the only problem I foresee with translating Festival as is is that we don't know if the .srsdb files will be changed within the .paks. If they are changed due to Banquet, then the work on the old files will have be redone on the new files. I think we can still have the translations of stuff that's in Festival, but we probably won't be able to use the files in Banquet, just the translations themselves.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #358 on: May 20, 2014, 11:52:45 PM »
What this says to me, is that we should go ahead and translate Festival as is. Banquet seems to be an extra section added on or some such.
You misinterpreted; what they meant is that "Banquet is not an update disk, it is an entire standalone game." For example, you cannot play DoD's expansion Festival/Matsuri by itself; you have to have the base game DoD and apply the expansion to it for it to work. (They did offer packages including both games, of course, though) Banquet is more or less a "final mix" version with some minor rebalancing and small feature additions like the ability to see what levels shikigami learn their future skills at. There's probably no actual new content; it's the same thing they did in GoS Weekend.

tl;dr They just meant it's standalone and you don't need to already possess the original version of DoD and/or it's expansion.

The vast majority of the text should be identical (Some skills were tweaked, however) but the files themselves might've changed some. I don't know what implications this has for translators, but translating the text will probably still be fine (They just can't be inserted to the expansion as-is, meaning a lot of non-translation work to do to port it over), and I'm under the impression there are already tools to easily pinpoint what text has actually changed.

It'd probably be better for people currently translating to move to working with the latest files rather than the old ones, but I don't know anywhere near enough about the state of the project or the specifics of this kind of situation.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 11:56:05 PM by Serela »

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #359 on: May 21, 2014, 02:32:51 AM »
Lemme see if I got this straight. So Banquet has all of the features from Festival/Matsuri as well, like the post-game stuff?

So, all I need is Banquet and I can ignore all of the previous releases of the game?

Sweetness and love~ ♥