Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 6)  (Read 45895 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 6)
« Reply #960 on: December 27, 2011, 08:36:49 PM »
>Twitch. INTERRUPTIONSinterruptions....
>"Naturally."
>Assuming she lets us NOW, focus on that sensation.

>You twitch a little despite yourself. Could she interrupt you more times in a row if she tried? ...please don't answer that.
>But you give a nonchalant reply. Murasa gives you a little nod and walks back onto the deck, closing the door to the cabin behind her. Blissfully, she does so without further comment.
>Now to get back to work. You take a moment to regather yourself, then raise your dowsing rods again and attempt to find that curious faint sensation. You feel the other traces of magic in the ship come into focus again as you slowly sweep your rods across the room. Now... where was it....?
>You frown slightly and your brow creases. Is it... gone? You redouble your efforts, tracing the ship with painstaking slowness and paying attention to every minute resonance that your senses can differentiate. For a moment, you think you may have had something, but then you lose it again among the background noise. Your attempt to relocate it is without success; if it even was anything other than proverbial static, it was too little to be of any use.
>You keep this up for a few more minutes, but eventually are forced to grudgingly admit that you're simply not finding whatever it was you caught the first time; whether it's gone or was only a phantom in the first place, you can't be sure.

« Reply #961 on: December 28, 2011, 05:19:27 AM »
In retrospect, I really should have seen that coming.

>Swear.
>Leave the room.
>Track as we go, though. Just in case this wasn't a complete waste of time, or a figment of our diseased imagination.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #962 on: December 28, 2011, 05:24:17 AM »
>Do we know of any thing that could blip out of existence like that after been found?

« Reply #963 on: December 28, 2011, 06:37:35 AM »
>Swear.
>Leave the room.
>Track as we go, though. Just in case this wasn't a complete waste of time, or a figment of our diseased imagination.

>You let loose some heartfelt invective. After all that?!
>The level of focus required to find something as vague as this is more than you can maintain while usefully moving from one location to another. For one thing, it would be hard to open the door. You could keep a casual scan while exiting, but you doubt that would pick up on whatever that was. If it was even anything at all.

>Do we know of any thing that could blip out of existence like that after been found?

>The sensation was very faint in the first place, so it's hard to say for certain that it blinked out of existence; it may not have been more than background noise. But assuming it was a legitimate magical resonance, there are a number of ways that it might have been there one minute and gone the next. A resonance from an active spell would no longer be detectable once the spell had faded. Objects containing magical energy of one form or another could either expend their charge or go dormant; dormant magical items are sometimes still detectable, but other times not - this depends on the nature of the magic and the object's construction. The source of the resonance might have become masked by some other material or perhaps lost in interference from a stronger source nearby, or possibly moved outside your effective detection range entirely (which would probably be quite short for a signal this slight). There might be other ways this could happen that aren't immediately coming to mind.

« Reply #964 on: December 28, 2011, 06:42:14 AM »
Would we know if it was coming from Murasa or something on her person?
I have...a terrible need...shall I say the word?...of religion. Then I go out at night and paint the stars.

« Reply #965 on: December 28, 2011, 06:52:23 AM »
>Or any other member of her crew?

« Reply #966 on: December 28, 2011, 07:07:24 AM »
>Would we know if it was coming from Murasa or something on her person?
>Or any other member of her crew?

>You hadn't gotten a specific positional fix on the signal, but you feel fairly sure it was near to you. You figure this would probably rule out most of crew (unless someone was lurking in the inner room here, perhaps, or immediately below you), but you suppose it's possible it was coming from Murasa somehow. Given that you aren't sure what it was, it's hard to say how plausible this is.

« Reply #967 on: December 28, 2011, 07:52:24 AM »
>Open the door with our tail, and step outside.
>Try scanning again.

« Reply #968 on: December 28, 2011, 07:58:46 AM »
>Open the door with our tail, and step outside.
>Try scanning again.

>You open the door with your tail and step outside. As you do, you note that the redhead from earlier has apparently shifted from lounging by the gangway to lounging next to the cabin door, just slightly in the way of the walkway up to the main deck.
>She cocks her head towards you and gives you a look that's rather hard to read. "Goin' somewhere?"

« Reply #969 on: December 28, 2011, 08:24:34 AM »
>"Trying to help you folks on your way, if I can. I had a lead for a sec, but I lost it. 'f I can get it back, might get us airborne before suppertime."

« Reply #970 on: December 28, 2011, 08:30:36 AM »
>"Trying to help you folks on your way, if I can. I had a lead for a sec, but I lost it. 'f I can get it back, might get us airborne before suppertime."

>"You just stay put 'til the cap'n gets back," she says, a neutral expression on her face.

« Reply #971 on: December 28, 2011, 08:41:23 AM »
>Look her up and down.
>"Problem?"

« Reply #972 on: December 28, 2011, 10:14:31 PM »
>Look her up and down.
>"Problem?"

>You give the redhead a once-over. Her build is lithe, but powerful looking, with leanly muscled arms framed by a white tank top. There is a large tattoo in a tribal design stretching from her right shoulder down to her elbow; a wing and propellor motif is prominently featured near its top. She is reclining in a casual pose, with one arm propped against a long wooden pole. The corner of her mouth stretches into a grin as you look her over; there is an almost feral character to it that reminds you distinctly of an oni.
>"Not if you don't start one, there ain't," she responds. Her expression makes you wonder if she'd actually rather you try.

« Reply #973 on: December 28, 2011, 10:59:16 PM »
>"Hey, I'm just tryin' to help here. You folks got somewhere to be, and you've got a problem, and captain Murasa contracted me to help solve it."
>Are we getting any sort of reaction from our extrasensory perception from this one?

« Reply #974 on: December 29, 2011, 11:39:07 PM »
>"Hey, I'm just tryin' to help here. You folks got somewhere to be, and you've got a problem, and captain Murasa contracted me to help solve it."
>Are we getting any sort of reaction from our extrasensory perception from this one?

>"And you can keep your ass here 'til she gets back, yeah?"
>As best you can tell at the moment, not in the slightest.

« Reply #975 on: December 30, 2011, 03:18:42 AM »
>Keep our tone neutral. Not like we haven't dealt with uppidy folks before.
>"You treat every one that tries to help you with such class, or just the Seekers?"

« Reply #976 on: December 30, 2011, 03:22:54 AM »
>Keep our tone neutral. Not like we haven't dealt with uppidy folks before.
>"You treat every one that tries to help you with such class, or just the Seekers?"

>She shrugs. "Hey, I'm just followin' orders."

« Reply #977 on: December 30, 2011, 03:28:31 AM »
>"Ah, lemme guess. 'Make sure she doesn't make off with a cabinet or two'?"
>Can we douse for truth in peoples words?

« Reply #978 on: December 30, 2011, 03:38:48 AM »
>"Ah, lemme guess. 'Make sure she doesn't make off with a cabinet or two'?"
>Can we douse for truth in peoples words?

>"Close enough," she says with a hint of that grin again.
>Unfortunately not - metaphoric concepts are flat-out. Reading tells and other body language is something they try to teach apprentice Seekers, and you're pretty good at it, but mundane methods are all you have to work with at the moment. If this woman is lying, she's doing it quite casually - to be honest, though, she doesn't strike you as especially subtle.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #979 on: December 30, 2011, 03:46:53 AM »
>"Well then you can come with me and watch. Because I might just have a trace on something weird and I don't want to lose it."

« Reply #980 on: December 30, 2011, 04:01:35 AM »
>"Well then you can come with me and watch. Because I might just have a trace on something weird and I don't want to lose it."

>She shakes her head. "Already told ya - either you stay put 'til the cap'n gets back or we're gonna have a problem."

« Reply #981 on: December 30, 2011, 04:18:04 AM »
>"Weigh it against losing a lead on our bigger problem."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #982 on: December 30, 2011, 04:19:31 AM »
I think it would be in character for someone weeks from death to start some shit if she refuses. Shall we start some shit?

« Reply #983 on: December 30, 2011, 04:25:15 AM »
I think it would be in character for someone weeks from death to start some shit if she refuses. Shall we start some shit?

On the one hand, I see Nazrin as rather pragmatic, the kind of person who doesn't waste time brawling with oafs, even if they're a-wantin' a-whupin'. On the other hand, taking into consideration everything she's been through the past couple days, she's gonna pop sooner or later.
My concern is, how do we think Murasa would take us beating up one of her crewers? Especially if said crewer was working on her orders. And would Nazrin want to jeopardize her ride in this manner? Especially since neither she nor us have any idea what that sensation even was.

« Reply #984 on: December 30, 2011, 04:34:13 AM »
>"Weigh it against losing a lead on our bigger problem."

>She lets out a wry chuckle. "You don't get it, do ya? If the cap'n says to make sure you stay put, then yer stayin' put if I gotta crack ya upside the head to do it."
>She straightens up against the wall and casually flexes her grip on the pole. "If ya want a splittin' headache to go with the wait, it's no sweat off my back, but you're keepin' your ass where it is."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #985 on: December 30, 2011, 04:37:43 AM »
Pragmatism goes right out the window for most folks when someone is telling you to sit there and die for their convenience. Trust me, I've wrestled with US Hospitals when needing life-saving surgery I couldn't afford. You tend not to have a longterm plan outside "X is an obstacle asking me to die. I will reciprocate."

>"Yeah, because I'm going to do all kinds of damage with my scary, scary dowsing rods."
>Wave them in her general direction.
>"WoooOoooOOooo....doooowsing rods..."

« Reply #986 on: December 30, 2011, 05:08:41 AM »
>"Yeah, because I'm going to do all kinds of damage with my scary, scary dowsing rods."
>Wave them in her general direction.
>"WoooOoooOOooo....doooowsing rods..."

>This draws an actual laugh from her; you don't think it was derisive, but her general attitude makes it a little hard to tell.
>"I don't care whether they're weather vanes or feather dusters you got there," she says with a broad grin. "No one goes wanderin' around the ship without the cap'n's say-so and she ain't said so. You got someplace to be so bad, you can take it up with her."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #987 on: December 30, 2011, 05:10:57 AM »
>"Well, she'll be taking it up with you if this lead get lost and the cargo rots more because you wouldn't use your head. What do you think she wants more? Me kept here or that damn pass back? Besides, why would I steal anything? I'm trying to get passage here!"

« Reply #988 on: December 30, 2011, 05:18:03 AM »
>"Wouldn't just keeping an eye on me satisfy Murasa's orders? I'm not after the secrets of your ship- I don't even know if this ship HAS secrets- I just wanna get to the bottom of this... This... Whatever it is. Which I can't do in this room."

« Reply #989 on: December 30, 2011, 05:25:37 AM »
>"Well, she'll be taking it up with you if this lead get lost and the cargo rots more because you wouldn't use your head. What do you think she wants more? Me kept here or that damn pass back? Besides, why would I steal anything? I'm trying to get passage here!"

>"Hey, I don't know," she says with a shrug, "and frankly it ain't my job to care. I told ya how things are, and that's all there is to it."

>"Wouldn't just keeping an eye on me satisfy Murasa's orders? I'm not after the secrets of your ship- I don't even know if this ship HAS secrets- I just wanna get to the bottom of this... This... Whatever it is. Which I can't do in this room."

>"Why such a rush, hey? Got somethin' that can't wait for her to get back?" There is a feral glint in her eye.