Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 6)  (Read 45896 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 6)
« Reply #870 on: December 21, 2011, 07:11:38 AM »
>Glance sideways at the sailor woman.
>"Bureaucracy got ya stuck?"

« Reply #871 on: December 21, 2011, 07:17:41 AM »
>Glance sideways at the sailor woman.
>"Bureaucracy got ya stuck?"

>Murasa throws you a look that practically shouts 'What now?'
>"It can go stick itself for all I care," she replies sharply.

« Reply #872 on: December 21, 2011, 07:24:56 AM »
>"Yeah, I hear ya. Thing's never as simple as they oughta be."

« Reply #873 on: December 21, 2011, 07:30:31 AM »
>"Yeah, I hear ya. Thing's never as simple as they oughta be."

>She turns further towards you and seems to size you up briefly. "There somethin' you want from me?"

« Reply #874 on: December 21, 2011, 07:41:56 AM »
>"Well, now, that depends. I couldn't help but overhear some of the conversation you were having with that other woman. She called you 'captain', I believe?"

« Reply #875 on: December 21, 2011, 07:44:05 AM »
>"Well, now, that depends. I couldn't help but overhear some of the conversation you were having with that other woman. She called you 'captain', I believe?"

>She gives you a vaguely dubious look. "Yeah, what's it to ya?"

« Reply #876 on: December 21, 2011, 07:47:53 AM »
>"I happen to be in the market for a fast ship. I need to get to Val Razua in a rather big hurry. Must faster than the usual transports. And if you've a fast ship, then I have some business to discuss. Might even help you get around your own problem, whatever issue you were having with... Well, whoever that was. I assume she's one of the bosses around here?"

« Reply #877 on: December 21, 2011, 08:00:54 AM »
>"I happen to be in the market for a fast ship. I need to get to Val Razua in a rather big hurry. Must faster than the usual transports. And if you've a fast ship, then I have some business to discuss. Might even help you get around your own problem, whatever issue you were having with... Well, whoever that was. I assume she's one of the bosses around here?"

>"She runs customs," Murasa says. "And it sounds like you and me got the same problem. I'd be in Val Razua right now if it weren't for this... this..." She scowls again. "This bullshit."

« Reply #878 on: December 21, 2011, 08:09:50 AM »
>"Lemme guess, someone forgot to cross all the 't's' on some form, or something?"

« Reply #879 on: December 21, 2011, 08:18:46 AM »
>"Lemme guess, someone forgot to cross all the 't's' on some form, or something?"

>She pauses a moment and gives you another appraising look. "Someone stole our damn export license."

« Reply #880 on: December 21, 2011, 08:20:11 AM »
>Do we know what an export liscence is? If not, ask.

« Reply #881 on: December 21, 2011, 08:25:21 AM »
>Do we know what an export liscence is? If not, ask.

>You're fairly certain this is just formal authorization to ship certain kinds of goods out of Braston, and probably involves a complex web of goods classifications and export tariffs to which you are not fully privy. Either way, you're pretty sure commercial traffic can't legally operate without having the proper ones.

« Reply #882 on: December 21, 2011, 08:34:07 AM »
Well, at least my instincts were right about SOMETHING. I'd been thinking "If by some miracle we manage to find ship, we'll have a fetchquest before getting it?" Because that's how it always works, in my experience. Although I was expecting an engine part, or a kidnapped crewmember. A stolen liscense, that's new.
Of course, this could just be another job, if missy here doesn't have a fast ship. If she DOES have a fast ship, then we may be in business.

>"Ahhh, so you're stuck here until it turns up."
>"What if you were making a passenger run, rather than a cargo one? Would that circumvent the problem?"

« Reply #883 on: December 21, 2011, 08:53:36 AM »
>"Ahhh, so you're stuck here until it turns up."
>"What if you were making a passenger run, rather than a cargo one? Would that circumvent the problem?"

>"Not holding my breath on that one," she says. "Miss rod-up-her-ass wants us to file for a new one when she knows full-well we'd already done it before; we've shipped stuff through here more times than I can count. It'll take weeks to get all the paperwork done and we don't have weeks to sit around waiting for it."
>"Not without dumping the cargo, which is kinda why we're still stuck here."

« Reply #884 on: December 21, 2011, 08:57:14 AM »
>"Then it seems to me, what you need is a Seeker."

« Reply #885 on: December 21, 2011, 09:05:47 AM »
>"Then it seems to me, what you need is a Seeker."

>"Figured that was coming," she says, looking at you dryly. "But if you can get us out of here, I'm not about to complain about you tagging along for the ride."

« Reply #886 on: December 21, 2011, 09:07:36 AM »
>"Well, that's the other part of the equation. I kinda need to be in Val Razua yesterday, if you catch my drift. How fast does your ship go?"

« Reply #887 on: December 21, 2011, 09:18:06 AM »
>"Well, that's the other part of the equation. I kinda need to be in Val Razua yesterday, if you catch my drift. How fast does your ship go?"

>This actually draws a hint of a grin from her. "She's the fastest thing in the harbor, no question. Can't do yesterday, but we'll be gunning it once we can actually get out of this damn place, let me tell you."

« Reply #888 on: December 21, 2011, 09:20:59 AM »
>Fastest thing in the harbor, eh...
>Point to the racy-looking ship with the white and blue paint job with our tail.
>"That wouldn't be your ship there, would it?"

« Reply #889 on: December 21, 2011, 09:27:09 AM »
>Fastest thing in the harbor, eh...
>Point to the racy-looking ship with the white and blue paint job with our tail.
>"That wouldn't be your ship there, would it?"

>With your tail, you point at the ship that caught your attention earlier. Murasa follows the gesture with a raised eyebrow, then smiles once she realizes that you're actually trying to point at something with it.
>"That's her," she says. "Pretty nice, isn't she?"

« Reply #890 on: December 21, 2011, 09:36:17 AM »
>Nod. "Never seen one like her before."
>"What do you call her?|

« Reply #891 on: December 21, 2011, 09:42:39 AM »
>Nod. "Never seen one like her before."
>"What do you call her?|

>"She got a lot of custom work on her," Murasa says, her tone distinctly lighter than a few moments earlier. "Won't find some of the stuff in her anywhere else, I don't figure."
>Murasa smiles. "The Blue Maiden."

« Reply #892 on: December 21, 2011, 09:49:26 AM »
>Nod approvingly. "Good name for a fine lookin' ship."
>"Come to think of it, I never got your name yet."
>Turn to her and extend our hand. "Name's Nazrin."

« Reply #893 on: December 21, 2011, 09:54:43 AM »
>Nod approvingly. "Good name for a fine lookin' ship."
>"Come to think of it, I never got your name yet."
>Turn to her and extend our hand. "Name's Nazrin."

>"Murasa," she says, grasping your hand in a firm handshake. You note her give you another quick look up and down in the process.

« Reply #894 on: December 21, 2011, 10:02:04 AM »
>"But seriously, I am looking for some numbers here, just to put my mind at ease, if nothing else. About how long does it usually take your Maiden here to make Val R, on a good day? 3 days? 4?"

« Reply #895 on: December 21, 2011, 10:16:05 AM »
>"But seriously, I am looking for some numbers here, just to put my mind at ease, if nothing else. About how long does it usually take your Maiden here to make Val R, on a good day? 3 days? 4?"

>"Depends on how loaded down we are," she says. "At the moment, I think we can probably make the trip in a bit under 3."

« Reply #896 on: December 21, 2011, 10:26:19 AM »
>Smile.
>"That's one of the first bits of good news I've had in days."
>"Now, tell me a bit about this liscence of yours. The sooner I get started, the sooner we can be on our way."

« Reply #897 on: December 21, 2011, 07:54:36 PM »
>Smile.
>"That's one of the first bits of good news I've had in days."
>"Now, tell me a bit about this liscence of yours. The sooner I get started, the sooner we can be on our way."

>"Just a piece of paper with the right stamps on it," she says. "Good luck findin' something like that in a place this size. But hey, maybe you can surprise me?"
>She bends down and picks her hat up off the ground, dusting it a little with her other hand.
>"I keep it onboard, with the rest of the permits and junk. Noticed it missing the night before last, when we tried to leave. Grilled the crew about it, but no one saw anyone but us onboard that whole time, and we didn't exactly leave her deserted, neither."
>She flips the hat back onto her head. "But the damnedest thing is the record of issuing us one has up and vanished from the customs office, too. Hell, if I know how that happened. So missy red tape back there wants us to apply like we're new to all this. She didn't even try to deny that she remembers us, but hell if that matters to her; if it ain't in her little book, it doesn't exist." She lets out an irritated sigh.

« Reply #898 on: December 22, 2011, 04:32:24 AM »
>There goes the fairy theory.
>"Have you contacted the Watch about this? This is obviously more than someone just absconding with a piece of paper."

« Reply #899 on: December 22, 2011, 04:42:10 AM »
>There goes the fairy theory.
>"Have you contacted the Watch about this? This is obviously more than someone just absconding with a piece of paper."

>This does seem far too coordinated to be a random act of whimsy.
>She shakes her head. "They'd probably try to keep us here for the whole investigation, and I don't need anyone else on my back about that. I just want to scram as soon as possible."