Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 6)  (Read 45907 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 6)
« Reply #840 on: December 16, 2011, 01:28:09 PM »
>Progress is progress. Little though it may be.
>"Well, then I suppose I'll have to find a fast boat."
>Keep a chuckle to ourselves. Little pencilneck got way more than he bargined for here. "This your first time out in the field?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #841 on: December 16, 2011, 01:47:47 PM »
>Keep a chuckle to ourselves. Little pencilneck got way more than he bargined for here. "This your first time out in the field?"

>Not just yet.

Is Nazrin really going to take being told "Wait here and die?" so well? Given she's helped them and such, and the closest thing to a response she's getting is "Um, maybe. Please let us waste your time while we dick around even though you just gave us more help than anyone else ever has." I mean, it's not like she has the days to waste that this would take.

I think it's drawing close to time to collect fingers.

« Reply #842 on: December 16, 2011, 02:08:22 PM »
You cannot be serious.
What more do you expect from this guy? He's just a student, barely a flunky. And besides, what do you think Keine will do to us if we have to threaten one of her students to see her, let alone actually hurt him? She'll take OUR fingers, among other things.
Obviously, Naz wouldn't be altogether happy about things, but she's smart enough not to waste time arguing with small fries. She IS, however, canny enough to charge Keine more than she would have if and when we see her later, for the location of that torii gate in the spider hole.
Harassing this guy has reached the end of whatever usefulness it may have had. It's time to move on.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #843 on: December 16, 2011, 02:32:09 PM »
He definitely has more to tell us, he's even said as much. He could tell us who takes them there, and give us a note saying we're good people. He can most certainly share that much. Instead, he's literally saying we should lay down and die so they can have their secrets. How would anyone take this sitting down?

« Reply #844 on: December 18, 2011, 12:32:19 AM »

>"No," he replies, then frowns. "Well, yes and no. I've done a little work out near Rokugou before, but nothing like this."

« Reply #845 on: December 18, 2011, 01:47:35 AM »
>Is that a name we know?
>Dryly, "Bet things haven't gone quite as you'd expected, have they."

« Reply #846 on: December 18, 2011, 02:22:55 AM »
>Is that a name we know?
>Dryly, "Bet things haven't gone quite as you'd expected, have they."

>It doesn't really ring a bell.
>Hideki looks at you blankly for a moment. "You... could say that."

« Reply #847 on: December 18, 2011, 12:51:55 PM »
>"Trust me, I can relate. This problem I got here? Happened to me when I was looking for a couple missing cows."
>"Which reminds me, there's something I discussed with Sasha when she was in, not sure if she mentioned it to your boss. When you're in contact with Kamishirasawa next, mention to her that there's something else I'd like to discuss with her, outside of this disease thing. Something she might find almost as interesting as those old... Well, whatever you folks found up there."
>"Of course, given her current indisposition, this'll probably be for after I find a cure for myself, but- assuming, by some miracle, I can come up with SOME luck- I'm still willing to make plans that far down the road."

« Reply #848 on: December 18, 2011, 04:22:55 PM »
>"Trust me, I can relate. This problem I got here? Happened to me when I was looking for a couple missing cows."
>"Which reminds me, there's something I discussed with Sasha when she was in, not sure if she mentioned it to your boss. When you're in contact with Kamishirasawa next, mention to her that there's something else I'd like to discuss with her, outside of this disease thing. Something she might find almost as interesting as those old... Well, whatever you folks found up there."
>"Of course, given her current indisposition, this'll probably be for after I find a cure for myself, but- assuming, by some miracle, I can come up with SOME luck- I'm still willing to make plans that far down the road."

>He frowns slightly. "Is that... about where you found that sword?"

« Reply #849 on: December 18, 2011, 04:23:49 PM »
>"Ah, she did mention that, then."

« Reply #850 on: December 18, 2011, 04:30:38 PM »

« Reply #851 on: December 18, 2011, 04:53:12 PM »
>Small grin, "Well, good, then, means I don't have to say it twice."
>"Did she seem interested?"

« Reply #852 on: December 18, 2011, 05:00:19 PM »
>Small grin, "Well, good, then, means I don't have to say it twice."
>"Did she seem interested?"

>"I'm pretty sure," he says. "Things have been real busy here for a while, and are probably going to say that way for a long time yet, but you just can't hear of something like this without taking an interest in it. If there's even a few more artifacts in this kind of condition... It could be big."

« Reply #853 on: December 18, 2011, 05:06:52 PM »
>"Good. Then I have at least two stops to make now, once I'm better. Always good to have plans."
>"At least, I assume you folks'll be here for a couple weeks, at least?"

« Reply #854 on: December 18, 2011, 05:13:28 PM »
>"Good. Then I have at least two stops to make now, once I'm better. Always good to have plans."
>"At least, I assume you folks'll be here for a couple weeks, at least?"

>"We'll be here longer than that," he says. "Well, some of us will. I... hope I'm back home by then, to be honest, but the professor will probably still be here. Or at least someone will be in charge on-site."

« Reply #855 on: December 18, 2011, 06:03:04 PM »
>Have we sheathed our sword yet? If not, do so. And stand if we are seated.
>Home... Kind of a nice word.
>"Well, I suppose I'd best be on my way. Have to see if I can find a boat that can get between here and the big city in less than a week. If I can't... Well, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it."
>Does Val Razua have a nickname that we know of? The Big Orange, perhaps?
>What's the name of the continent Val Razua lies on, if it has a name at all?

« Reply #856 on: December 18, 2011, 08:57:19 PM »
>Have we sheathed our sword yet? If not, do so. And stand if we are seated.
>Home... Kind of a nice word.
>"Well, I suppose I'd best be on my way. Have to see if I can find a boat that can get between here and the big city in less than a week. If I can't... Well, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it."
>Does Val Razua have a nickname that we know of? The Big Orange, perhaps?
>What's the name of the continent Val Razua lies on, if it has a name at all?

>You sheathe Kumokirimaru and stand up again.
>The sentiment rings a little deeply at the moment. Going home implies that you'll still be around to go anywhere when the time comes...
>Hideki gives you a tentative nod.
>You've sometimes heard it called the 'jewel of Gensokyo', but typically it's just referred to by its name.
>The primary landmasses occupied by the central nations are generally referred to collectively as Inner Gensokyo. The region on which the city of Val Razua itself is located may have a more specific name, but you do not know it.

« Reply #857 on: December 19, 2011, 01:48:42 AM »
>Return the little nerd's nod, then depart.
>Upon leaving the building, look around for an appropriate wall to punch. Hard. Then do so.
>Take a few minutes to let the bile and ire from the frustration of yet another dead end settle down.
>Make for the harbour, see what boats look the fastest.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #858 on: December 19, 2011, 01:58:18 AM »
We're just leaving? I thought you were trying to guilt the guy.

« Reply #859 on: December 19, 2011, 09:55:27 AM »
>Return the little nerd's nod, then depart.
>Upon leaving the building, look around for an appropriate wall to punch. Hard. Then do so.
>Take a few minutes to let the bile and ire from the frustration of yet another dead end settle down.
>Make for the harbour, see what boats look the fastest.

>You give a nod back to the nervous student, then turn and exit the room. Your face is calmly neutral as you make your way out of the inn, betraying nothing of your inner state following that meeting. You stride briskly past the people milling around the nearby storefronts and turn down a small side street. The featureless and unadorned walls lining this section suggests it runs along the rear of some of the adjoining businesses, but at the moment you frankly do not care - it is empty.
>You turn and slam your fist into the nearest stonework hard enough to draw a wince from you at any other time. But you do not react to it; your expression is flat save for the frustration seething darkly behind your eyes. Dammit! You'd pinned your hopes on this! You'd waited, and all you'd gotten out of it is the promise of more waiting. You don't have time to wait! You don't have time...
>You stay like that a moment, letting your resentment churn and eventually play itself out. You let out an irritated sigh; nothing for it now but to keep going and hope that something goes your way. No one ever said that finding a cure for an ancient disease would be easy, even for you; it just damn well better be possible. You head westward towards the harbor.

>As the most important mining center for the Outer Freelands and indeed Val Razua itself, much of the traffic out of Braston is industrial and the tone of the port district reflects this; the docks are ringed with blocks of warehouses and offices of shipping concerns, crammed together in a seemingly haphazard fashion, and the bustle of workers moving goods in and out is near-constant. Oni are a common sight here, as they are in many professions where muscle is a major qualification, and their raucous chatter rises above the general clamor - spirited in whatever they do. You cut smoothly through the activity and make your way to the docks proper.
>There is a token organization to the harborfront, with berths grouped roughly by size and type of cargo, but like most of the rest of the town, the growth of the harbor was organic and often hasty; concessions to necessity or simply impatience have resulted in an odd hodgepodge of industrial and passenger docks staggered in among each other in a rough semicircle along the island's edge. In the open sky beyond, you can see the faint iridescent shimmer of the aether stream in the bright afternoon sun.

>As usual, the docks are dominated by thick and stolid vessels designed to move maximum goods in minimum comfort. While there are a range of sizes and styles in evidence at the moment, they are all alike in their unabashedly utilitarian designs, their hulls flanked by the bulky turbines needed to lift such heavy loads and often emblazoned with the emblem of one shipping company or another. While they are undeniably powerful vessels, most are also not particularly speedy. In among these, you also see a couple vessels of slighter build, positively dwarfed by some of the larger freighters; these would mostly be passenger ferries connecting Braston with other islands in the Outer Freelands, with perhaps the occasional short-range cargo ship in among them. You don't actually see any of the larger passenger vessels docked at the moment - those which could safely make the crossing to Val Razua. This is moderately unusual, though you suppose it doesn't matter; it's not like any of them would keep a fast enough timetable for your current situation. You see no Tengu ships docked at the moment either, though this is hardly surprising; visits from Tengu are a rarity, and while their vessels are famously swift and agile, it's not like they'd be willing to let you hitch a ride anyway - their isolationism, and frankly their imperiousness, runs deep indeed.
>One vessel among all these does catch your eye, however; it is moderately-sized and broad-hulled enough to suggest a cargo transport, yet there is a certain sleekness to its appearance. Rather than the fat barrel-like hulls of the industrial fleet, many of the features of this ship are streamlined, with a narrow tapered prow and swept tail. At first glance it appears to be a standard twin-rotor engine design, but you also notice a bank of smaller turbines running along the sides of the vessel. It still has the air of a working ship, but it looks like there's some real power and maneuverability in it for its size. It is painted deep blue with white accents, and doesn't seem to bear any company insignia that you recognize.

« Reply #860 on: December 19, 2011, 05:08:04 PM »
Guilt him? Never occured to me.
Besides, him feeling guilty wouldn't have done us mch good. He'd already said he wasn't prepared to risk his career for us.
Mind you, I'm not simply forgetting about him either. I'm thinking that he, peripherally, might still be an avenue for us if we don't find anything here at the docks. Which wouldn't surprise me in the LEAST, but that's a whole 'nother quentil of fish.
If we can't find our millenium falcon here, that leaves Keine still, but threatening and bullying her students isn't the way to go about it. Subtletly is. We can shadow him, follow Hideki around, see this skimmer they use to move back and forth. If we're lucky, we can stowaway aboard it and get taken to the site directly. We'll have to do some fast talking when we get there, but she'll be more receptive to our presence that way, than if we'd cracked her boy's head. If we can't stowaway, we could still be able to learn the skimmer's route, and either follow it ourselves on foot, or hire our own transport to take us there, once we know where we're going.

That said, however, we do seem to have at least one obvious lead here, so, let's see where it goes, if anywhere.

>Approach this blue and white ship.
>Check it for name plates and obvious signs of activity aboard and around.
>Does it appear to be obviously armed?
>Are there any fairies about here? *chuckle* Or would the oni all scare em away?
>Do Oni or Kappa have their own ships, like Tengu do? If we know, would we recognize them if we saw one?
>Be on guard for pickpockets.

« Reply #861 on: December 19, 2011, 10:33:17 PM »
>Approach this blue and white ship.
>Check it for name plates and obvious signs of activity aboard and around.
>Does it appear to be obviously armed?
>Be on guard for pickpockets.

>You head towards the ship for a closer look. You don't see any obvious sign of weapons at this distance, but this isn't unusual for a transport vessel. You keep a mild guard for pickpockets as you go, but it's frankly a rather painful profession to be practicing with so many Oni about; most are not shy about breaking a bone or two even if they catch you stealing from someone else.
>As you draw closer to the ship, you note two people nearby having a spirited argument. Or, perhaps more accurately, one person having a spirited argument while the other listens coolly and interjects with the occasional remark that apparently serves only to rile her counterpart further.

>Are there any fairies about here? *chuckle* Or would the oni all scare em away?

>There are a few fairies about, though not many at the moment. While heavy lifting is most certainly outside their domain, there are some other jobs in the district that employ them, or they might simply be wandering through for a stroll and a look at the harbor. Fairies are notoriously difficult to scare off in the long-term. While you have no doubt that an Oni could quickly send one packing, their notoriously shaky memories and abject lack of considering the consequences of their actions could easily bring them round again. They aren't seen much in the north end of town, where the Oni are thickest, but you think this is more because of the noise and harsh smells of industry; there are simply other places they'd rather hang out, where there are more cookies and pies and less smelting and grime.

>Do Oni or Kappa have their own ships, like Tengu do? If we know, would we recognize them if we saw one?

>While the Oni are not a particularly skyfaring race, most of the ships in the harbor would have their engines either built by Kappa or based upon their designs. The reason Tengu ships are distinct is more a matter of their isolationism and national identity than each race flying their own particular ships. Kappa and Oni live among the other races, while the Tengu are a separate distinct nation. You could certainly recognize some differences in the design of a ship hailing from Hanashibara and one from Braston, but you would hardly call them a Kappa or Oni ship, respectively.

« Reply #862 on: December 20, 2011, 02:03:22 AM »
>Walking around Oni gives an odd sense of security and nervousness.
>Slow our walk and open an ear for the arguing pair. Visual appraisal of both.

« Reply #863 on: December 20, 2011, 02:48:23 AM »
>Walking around Oni gives an odd sense of security and nervousness.
>Slow our walk and open an ear for the arguing pair. Visual appraisal of both.

>They won't sneak up on you, but that doesn't mean they mightn't barrel through you.
>You slow down a little and turn your ears towards their conversation. At this distance you can't see them very clearly, but you can hear them well enough if you pay attention.

>"...fail to see the problem," comes the composed voice. It seems to belong to a woman in a white sun hat, currently back-on to you. She is wearing a purple shawl over a short-sleeved white dress.
>"The whole cargo's gonna rot by then and you know it!" a shorter dark-haired woman counters angrily. She is wearing what looks to be a white sailor suit trimmed in teal, with loose-fitting shorts, and is practically in the other woman's face, though this seems to be having no effect on her opponent's composure.
>"Those are the rules." There is an air of quiet imperiousness to the other's words.
>"Then get better rules!"

« Reply #864 on: December 20, 2011, 12:14:09 PM »
>Do we recognize either of these women?
>Casually, stroll roughly in their direction. Keep ears open.

« Reply #865 on: December 20, 2011, 06:57:21 PM »
>Do we recognize either of these women?
>Casually, stroll roughly in their direction. Keep ears open.

>You do not.
>You casually stroll in their general direction while continuing to listen to their conversation.

>"Your opinion is noted," the sun-hatted woman says calmly.
>"Nice way of saying 'ignored'," the other grumbles bitterly.
>"I have an entire harbor to maintain, Miss Murasa. I do not make exceptions for loud people." A note of distaste seeps subtly through her poise at this epithet.
>Murasa chuckles darkly. "Want me to whisper it in your ear, then?"
>"I'm afraid one of us, at least, has better things to do. If you wish to salvage your shipment, I suggest you apply yourself to something more productive."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #866 on: December 20, 2011, 11:02:46 PM »
>Have we ever gone sailing before? Or had to arrange for passage on a ship? If so, how does one do this?
>Related to that, is there any kind of registry for ships to publically declare their destinations.

« Reply #867 on: December 20, 2011, 11:21:57 PM »
>Have we ever gone sailing before? Or had to arrange for passage on a ship? If so, how does one do this?
>Related to that, is there any kind of registry for ships to publically declare their destinations.

>Yes, but not often. During your apprenticeship, there were a few jobs you went along on which took you to nearby islands in the Outer Freelands, though you've never been outside of them; the trip to Val Razua would be substantially longer and cross rougher skies. You weren't actually the one to arrange passage in those cases, either, but you know the regular ferry services have offices near the docks where you can purchase tickets. Passage on less conventional transports would probably require dealing with either their owner or captain.
>The ferries follow regular routes which you could easily check at the same place you'd buy tickets. For the other ships, you imagine they have manifests which are registered with the customs office, at least.

« Reply #868 on: December 21, 2011, 04:59:36 AM »
>Does Braston cater to more traditional ships as well as airships, or is it exclusively airship based?
>Now that we're close enough, keep our ears on their conversation.

« Reply #869 on: December 21, 2011, 07:02:42 AM »
>Does Braston cater to more traditional ships as well as airships, or is it exclusively airship based?
>Now that we're close enough, keep our ears on their conversation.

>Airships are plenty traditional, but in terms of waterfaring vessels, Estval lacks any major waterways that are used for transportation and the port is not near water at all. Many of the vessels here are amphibious, though, as Hanashibara in particular has numerous waterways, and quite a few airship ports there are accessible only via an amphibious approach.
>You continue to listen in:

>"I'd be doing somethin' more productive if you'd just quit bein' a rule-spewing zombie for five minutes and let us do our job. You know this is bullshit."
>"You have my answer, captain," the other woman replies coldly. "Good day."
>And with that, she turns her back to Murasa and calmly walks away. Murasa grimaces fiercely, then hurls her hat onto the ground in frustration.