Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 6)  (Read 45901 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 6)
« Reply #810 on: December 13, 2011, 07:43:13 AM »
>Nod slowly.
>"Something to think about, then. Gotta assess my options here."
>Wait for him to finish his photo shoot.

>You nod slowly and let Takeshi finish up. After several more photographs - you certainly can't fault the man for his thoroughness - he pauses, takes another look at the camera, and then lowers it.
>"I think that should be good," he says. "Well, at least given the circumstances. And, um... thank you." The tone of his last words comes out sounding almost more like a question than a statement; he still looks quite uncomfortable.

« Reply #811 on: December 13, 2011, 07:52:43 AM »
>"Would you mind taking a couple extra pictures for me, while you're here?"

« Reply #812 on: December 13, 2011, 07:59:54 AM »
>"Would you mind taking a couple extra pictures for me, while you're here?"

>"Uh, of the sword?" he asks, frowning slightly.

« Reply #813 on: December 13, 2011, 08:21:35 AM »
>"Of those black patches. I've been told this particular disease hasn't been seen in a very long time. Professor Kamishirasawa may know something about it that my last source didn't. And if she doesn't, well, call it evidence of an ancient disease."

« Reply #814 on: December 13, 2011, 08:31:13 AM »
>"Of those black patches. I've been told this particular disease hasn't been seen in a very long time. Professor Kamishirasawa may know something about it that my last source didn't. And if she doesn't, well, call it evidence of an ancient disease."

>His frown twists with nervous distaste. "Uh, I don't know...."

« Reply #815 on: December 13, 2011, 09:12:01 AM »
>"Yeah, I know, they're ugly. And it's probably a longshot. But I'm trying to cover every base I can think of. I'm only trying to save my life after all."
>"Which reminds me. I know you folks have sealed your dig site, and that your boss doesn't really want to spend time talking to some Seeker. But are you sure she wouldn't be willing to see me? I'm not looking for a score, or any kind of inside scoop, that's your turf. I'm just trying to beat this thing, before it beats me."

« Reply #816 on: December 13, 2011, 09:36:15 AM »
>"Yeah, I know, they're ugly. And it's probably a longshot. But I'm trying to cover every base I can think of. I'm only trying to save my life after all."
>"Which reminds me. I know you folks have sealed your dig site, and that your boss doesn't really want to spend time talking to some Seeker. But are you sure she wouldn't be willing to see me? I'm not looking for a score, or any kind of inside scoop, that's your turf. I'm just trying to beat this thing, before it beats me."

>"I... still don't see why you think we can help you," he says, frowning. "We're archaeologists, not... doctors or priests or whatever."

« Reply #817 on: December 13, 2011, 09:44:33 AM »
>"History. Minoriko told me that whatever this disease is, it comes from a time long ago, used by a people that barely exist anymore. In order to beat a disease, any disease, you have to know it. I need to know as much as I can about the time period involved, and any historical records pertaining to it, or them."

« Reply #818 on: December 13, 2011, 10:00:21 AM »
>"History. Minoriko told me that whatever this disease is, it comes from a time long ago, used by a people that barely exist anymore. In order to beat a disease, any disease, you have to know it. I need to know as much as I can about the time period involved, and any historical records pertaining to it, or them."

>"And you think this was... related to the Freelands Archaic culture, somehow?"

« Reply #819 on: December 13, 2011, 10:15:02 AM »
>"Am I certain? No. But the timeframe probably matches up. The sword has Archaic script on it, and according to Minoriko, the disease has its origins in the era when Archaic would have been the common tongue."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #820 on: December 13, 2011, 10:28:01 AM »
>"In short, that's about all I have to grab onto outside of some other longshot hopes."

« Reply #821 on: December 13, 2011, 07:12:49 PM »
>"Am I certain? No. But the timeframe probably matches up. The sword has Archaic script on it, and according to Minoriko, the disease has its origins in the era when Archaic would have been the common tongue."
>"In short, that's about all I have to grab onto outside of some other longshot hopes."

>His eyes narrow. "Wait... common tongue? I don't think we even know if it ever was. I mean, we don't know who lived out here during this period, but I don't think there's any evidence that connects them to us. Well, I mean there's inscriptions from Old Higan that are probably just as old, and the scripts aren't even similar. Did... she really say that?"

« Reply #822 on: December 14, 2011, 01:15:41 AM »
Oh, lord, I've just had a thought. I've been operating under the assumption that the spider youkai of ages past made this disease, unleashed it upon their enemies. What if that's not the case? What if the plague simply existed when the arachnids were prevalent, and our would-be killer was simply using something she'd been told of from years past? If it IS Yamame, then she would have that power.

>Take a moment to think back to our meeting with Minoriko after we awoke plagued.
>"Well, she mentioned the disease was old. Real old. I think we're talking around a millenia here, but I can't be sure, she wouldn't give me a time frame. And the sword itself is plenty old as well, obviously. As near as we can determine, the sword was designed to combat... Well, not the disease, specifically, but the one that used it against me..."
>Have a seat. "There's a lot I don't know. Too much. Every answer I found before just led me to another question, sometimes two more questions. And I don't even really know where to start to try and find answers. You folks and your professor were the best lead I had."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #823 on: December 14, 2011, 02:58:48 PM »
That's actually what I was assuming.  But I figure that using it would involve more than spider youkai just knowing the name, she'd have to have some pertinent information to use it. Not to mention that if a weapon was specifically crafted to deal with them and there was some near genocidal conflict, then likely they were causing trouble in some respect.

Narouge

• Narry the Corruptor
« Reply #824 on: December 14, 2011, 08:07:12 PM »
bloody hell, get into a grove at work get ready to post and such before work start up every day and what happens? computer fries. well now i am all caught up again and work no longer feels quite so tiring.

now onto the matter at hand. we basically left with two options to cure are selves that i can see. The dig, or the grand academy. because it take to long to get to both. this is for standard tie frames we been given. however we still need to see if we can't find a fast ship, maybe tengu if where lucky, i i remember reading them having faster boats right. hell might get someone willing to treat us as guards for their shipment if where lucky.

however we really are at a loss for information. i like the grand academy, if only because it provides a wide variety of options. the few others in the same field, mighty magicians, people who might know more about that which is effecting us specifically, probably more churches there since it s bigger city, *chuckles* better chance to find vampire if we go with purvis idea.

where as the dig. yes it has a link, but we don't know if the sword men to battle disease in general, spider made things, or if as said before. if are disease has anything to do with the spiders, i mean the race of spider people might not have had the same powers are are 'friend'.

the dig gives us one good shot, and the big city gives us a number of fair shots. in this case i rather attack are problem with a shot gun.
"there is a Fine line between genius and insanity. I see it every day running screaming past it with scissors."
-8-bit theater, Red Mage, taken as personal saying.

« Reply #825 on: December 14, 2011, 08:24:48 PM »
>Take a moment to think back to our meeting with Minoriko after we awoke plagued.
>"Well, she mentioned the disease was old. Real old. I think we're talking around a millenia here, but I can't be sure, she wouldn't give me a time frame. And the sword itself is plenty old as well, obviously. As near as we can determine, the sword was designed to combat... Well, not the disease, specifically, but the one that used it against me..."
>Have a seat. "There's a lot I don't know. Too much. Every answer I found before just led me to another question, sometimes two more questions. And I don't even really know where to start to try and find answers. You folks and your professor were the best lead I had."

>A twinge of sympathy works its way into his frown, though he still rather reminds you of someone staring down an unstable explosive.
>"Well... I suppose I can see that. She is the best; I just..." He hesitates a moment, then shakes his head. "I don't know. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm not sure even she can translate all of this. Yet. The dig we're at is really promising, and I'm sure we're going to learn more about the language before we're done here. Maybe a lot more. It's the biggest find in the history of work on this culture. But it's going to take a while; this sort of stuff always takes more time and work and guessing than people think it does, and for all anyone knows this inscription could just be a list of hereditary titles of whoever forged the sword or something like that. You'd be surprised how often that sort of thing happens."
>He hesitates a moment. "I can ask her if she knows about any diseases being mentioned in the texts we've found so far. I honestly don't think there is, but like I said, it's not my specialty. I'm... not sure there's anything else I can do for you."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #826 on: December 14, 2011, 08:28:08 PM »
>"You could take me there. It's not like I have a surplus of time of my hands to deal with this."

« Reply #827 on: December 14, 2011, 08:30:57 PM »
>"You could take me there. It's not like I have a surplus of time of my hands to deal with this."

>His frown deepens, then he shakes his head. "I... don't have the authority to do that. Besides, I don't go back for another week, anyway."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #828 on: December 14, 2011, 09:12:36 PM »
>"Then you could tell me where she is, and I'll go find her."

« Reply #829 on: December 14, 2011, 09:55:51 PM »
>"Then you could tell me where she is, and I'll go find her."

>He tenses a little. "I don't have the charts for the route. Uh, even if I was allowed to share them. Which I'm not..."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #830 on: December 14, 2011, 10:02:00 PM »
>Frown.
>"Who does have them?"

« Reply #831 on: December 14, 2011, 10:26:50 PM »
>Frown.
>"Who does have them?"

>There is a pronounced pause. "I'm... probably not supposed to say."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #832 on: December 15, 2011, 12:58:12 AM »
>Flat tone.
>"You realize I'm dying, right? in fact, you realize I'm dying and I went out of my way to spend what precious time I have to show you guys this sword, right? Is this really how I'm going to be treated?"
>Where are we in relation to this guy and the door? What other ways out are there?

« Reply #833 on: December 15, 2011, 02:51:46 AM »
>Flat tone.
>"You realize I'm dying, right? in fact, you realize I'm dying and I went out of my way to spend what precious time I have to show you guys this sword, right? Is this really how I'm going to be treated?"

>The man's discomfiture grows acute. "I- I don't know what to say. I'm not a doctor, I don't know anything about diseases, I don't know what I'm supposed to do. I can't get in touch with the professor immediately, and even if I could, she can't translate it just like that, and I'm sure how that's supposed to help you, even if she could."

>Where are we in relation to this guy and the door? What other ways out are there?

>You are currently sitting down in a chair near the desk on which the photos were taken. Hideki is a couple feet away from you, on the other end of the desk. The door back to the hallway is some feet distant, on the other side of the room; it's slightly closer to you than him, although not by much. Otherwise, there is a window near you, just to the left of the desk, and another door against a third wall; given the lack of a bed in the current room, you suspect that is where it probably leads.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #834 on: December 15, 2011, 11:27:45 AM »
>"I'll  help you figure what you're supposed to do. You help me get in touch with this Kamashirasawa, because she's one of the few people who might know anything about these disease, because there sure as hell haven't been anyone in the medical profession who has. Tell me who knows how to get to her, give me a little signed note that says I'm alright, and then you've done what you can, right?"
>Roll up our sleeve again and move the blight toward him. "Look at this. Does this look like I'm kidding or like I'm trying to scam you? Go on, take a close look if you want. Do you think I'm joking about this?"

« Reply #835 on: December 15, 2011, 01:25:18 PM »
Medical profession.... I hadn't considered that. I'd been so focused on the historical/mystical side of this disease, I'd forgotten that it is still a disease. Maybe we should try that angle, as a big city like Val Razua's gotta have better medical resources available than Braston here. To say nothing of better historical records, and better experts on religion, and of course, more mages, if that route proves viable.
The more I think about it, the more that seems our best option.

EDIT: Assuming of course, like I, and Nary, said before, we can find a faster ship than the normal 'week-long' affair, that's time we can't afford to waste. I don't know if we'll find tengu or not (and personally I hope not, because that probably means Aya, and I cannot stand Aya.  Hatate and Momiji? Sure, no problems there. Aya, I'd be tempted to pitch her over the railing once we get over open water), but hopefully there's SOMETHING here we can use.
But on the other hand, a tengu SHIP, now, that's a different story. That, we can steal. That'd be kinda neat, actually.

>"On the other hand, I'm prepared to accept that your boss may not be able to help me. I don't LIKE it, but it would be in keeping with my track record so far. Now, you seem a decent enough fella, and you know what's at stake. You're not certain Kamishirasawa can help me, and you probably wouldn't keep saying that if you thought there was any chance. So tell me about the medical services of Val Razua."
>Hold up a hand. "I know, I know, that's not your field of expertise. But from what you've seen, the city's gotta have more resources in that field than Braston, right?"
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 03:17:13 PM by Sourfang, the Falling Star »

« Reply #836 on: December 15, 2011, 06:07:33 PM »
>"I'll  help you figure what you're supposed to do. You help me get in touch with this Kamashirasawa, because she's one of the few people who might know anything about these disease, because there sure as hell haven't been anyone in the medical profession who has. Tell me who knows how to get to her, give me a little signed note that says I'm alright, and then you've done what you can, right?"
>Roll up our sleeve again and move the blight toward him. "Look at this. Does this look like I'm kidding or like I'm trying to scam you? Go on, take a close look if you want. Do you think I'm joking about this?"

>"I could get thrown out of school for that," he says, growing yet more agitated. "And even if I told you, they probably wouldn't take you there, either. Not without the professor's permission. They're on retainer and I know they're not allowed to spread word either. And even if you had permission, they're probably not ready to set out again today. I'll write her a letter, but that's all I can do. Really!"
>You roll up your sleeve and thrust the blighted mark towards Hideki again. He practically recoils from it, eyes glancing at it nervously, but mostly trying to keep from looking at it at all.
>"I- I didn't say you were lying!" he protests. "But there isn't anything else I can do!"

>"On the other hand, I'm prepared to accept that your boss may not be able to help me. I don't LIKE it, but it would be in keeping with my track record so far. Now, you seem a decent enough fella, and you know what's at stake. You're not certain Kamishirasawa can help me, and you probably wouldn't keep saying that if you thought there was any chance. So tell me about the medical services of Val Razua."
>Hold up a hand. "I know, I know, that's not your field of expertise. But from what you've seen, the city's gotta have more resources in that field than Braston, right?"

>Your sudden change in tact seems to catch the flustered student off-guard, though he seems visibly relieved by it after a few moments.
>"Of course," he says hastily. "I mean, you're right, I don't know much about medicine, but... Val Razua is the intellectual capital of Gensokyo. The Academy has the world's largest collection of books on hundreds of topics, and I know there's plenty on herbology and medicinal alchemy and stuff like that. I mean, I haven't read any of them, but I know they're there. I'm sure the city has better physicians than you can find here, or at least they'd have access to more resources. Braston's kind of rural in comparison."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #837 on: December 16, 2011, 01:15:07 AM »
>"Leave the people running the ship to me, if it comes to that.  You just tell me what you can, and you'll have my word it won't go no farther. If it did, it'd just put me in a worse position to ask for help if I did let it slip, after all."

« Reply #838 on: December 16, 2011, 01:59:23 AM »
I think it might be time to stop badgering this guy. He's just a flunky after all. He's made it clear he's said as much as he can. Pressing him isn't gonna get us anywhere.

>Withdraw our arm, and roll our sleeve back down.
>Offer him a nod and a small grin. "See, now, that's what I was hoping to hear. Ain't much of a bookie, myself, but at this point, I can make an exception or two."
>"Although... do I need to bring sweets or something to bribe the library staff to let me in, or look around? I've had a bit of a bad run with folks in power, too, so I've learned the value of a little warning."

« Reply #839 on: December 16, 2011, 02:38:28 AM »
>"Leave the people running the ship to me, if it comes to that.  You just tell me what you can, and you'll have my word it won't go no farther. If it did, it'd just put me in a worse position to ask for help if I did let it slip, after all."

>There is an awkward silence, as Hideki seems to have trouble deciding whether he should be looking at you or the floor.
>"I... I can't say," he eventually squeaks out. "I just can't. I promise I'll get in touch with the professor as soon as I can, but that's all I can do."

>Withdraw our arm, and roll our sleeve back down.
>Offer him a nod and a small grin. "See, now, that's what I was hoping to hear. Ain't much of a bookie, myself, but at this point, I can make an exception or two."
>"Although... do I need to bring sweets or something to bribe the library staff to let me in, or look around? I've had a bit of a bad run with folks in power, too, so I've learned the value of a little warning."

>You pull your arm away from him and pull your sleeve back down. Hideki seems visible relieved by this gesture.
>"No, the library's open to the public," he says. "Well, most of it. There are archives and rare books sections that you need special permission for, but the head librarian would probably give you the stare of death if you tried to bribe her. It shouldn't be hard to find someone there who'll help you find whatever you're looking for, though."