Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 6)  (Read 45894 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 6)
« Reply #720 on: December 07, 2011, 07:47:44 AM »
>"It's actually pretty simple. You can't sell them as unopened and premium anymore, so don't think of them like that anymore. Think of them like all the other stuff you sell. Now, obviously they're higher quality, so you already have a hook in offering higher quality drinks to people. But you do that anyways, so what you have to do is make it more appealing. Such as "Buy two normal drinks, get a fine drink at half price." Appeal to people who would be interested, but are normally put off by the price by making it cheaper via encouraging to get things they would normal already get, you see? It's actually a pretty good opportunity to see if you could becoming a place known for that. Not to mention that once people get a taste for finer stuff, they're more likely to get it normally despite the usual price. You see?"

>"Is that it?" she asks impassively.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #721 on: December 07, 2011, 08:07:09 AM »
Edit: HOLD IT!

>Hold our hand out for payment.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 08:10:34 AM by Robo-Purvis BZT »

« Reply #722 on: December 07, 2011, 08:22:28 AM »
>Hold our hand out for payment.

>You hold your hand out for payment. The woman is still for a moment, and then without further expressiveness unlocks a drawer in her desk and retrieves a small strongbox from which she counts out your fee. She hands it to you with little comment.
>"Your pay," she says flatly.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #723 on: December 07, 2011, 08:42:20 AM »
>"Thank you, now I can finish."
>"You're also a horrible, bullying monster to work with who directly tried to intimidate and scam Miss Momoka and lied to our faces around it. The fact you've managed to run a business at all with such a sour outlook is amazing, so I can only assume you inherited it and are presently driving it into the ground like a stake with a sledgehammer."
>Stand up. "Your prices must be excellent, because no one is coming here for your sunny personality or a friendly atmosphere. I cannot think of a more deserving person to be robbed."
>Start to leave. "Please take some of the money I've managed to save you from this whole debacle and use it to hire yourself a whore. You need it desperately."
>Exit office!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 09:24:28 AM by Robo-Purvis BZT »

« Reply #724 on: December 07, 2011, 08:52:55 AM »
>Stand up. "Your prices must be excellent, because no one is coming here for your sunny personality or a friendly atmosphere. I cannot think of a more deserving person to be robbed."
>Start to leave. "Please take some of the money I've managed to save you from this whole debacle and use it to hire yourself a whore. You need it desperately."
>Exit office!

As much as I love the sentiment (especially the last part, that's EXCELLENT.) there's something else I wanna say before all this is said and done. I'd hate to end an otherwise enjoyable sidequest on an especially sour note.

>Instead of that, say this.
>"But even with all that, at the end of the day, I'm still not upset I took this job. Doing business with you obviously wasn't a pleasure for either one of us, but I did get to meet Momoka here. And that was a pleasant surprise."
>Turn to Momoka, and extend our hand. "I'm sorry things got as... ugly, as they did. Didn't work out quite as I'd hoped. But I am glad that I met you, and just as pleased that we settled things here amicably on your behalf. And if you ever have any more trouble, with fairys or otherwise, I'd be perfectly willing to help you again."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #725 on: December 07, 2011, 09:24:06 AM »
You never let me have any fun ;_;

But okay.

« Reply #726 on: December 07, 2011, 09:41:59 AM »
>"Thank you, now I can finish."
>"You're also a horrible, bullying monster to work with who directly tried to intimidate and scam Miss Momoka and lied to our faces around it. The fact you've managed to run a business at all with such a sour outlook is amazing, so I can only assume you inherited and are presently driving it into the ground like a stake with a sledgehammer."

>Your fortunately former client's expression predictably darkens as you deliver your parting remarks, though she mostly masks it beneath a veneer of professional detachment.

>"But even with all that, at the end of the day, I'm still not upset I took this job. Doing business with you obviously wasn't a pleasure for either one of us, but I did get to meet Momoka here. And that was a pleasant surprise."
>Turn to Momoka, and extend our hand. "I'm sorry things got as... ugly, as they did. Didn't work out quite as I'd hoped. But I am glad that I met you, and just as pleased that we settled things here amicably on your behalf. And if you ever have any more trouble, with fairys or otherwise, I'd be perfectly willing to help you again."

>Then you turn to Momoka and extend both your hand and an offer of help in the future. The mole youkai looks a little caught off-guard by this, but gives you a tentative smile in return.
>"Um, thank you," she says, looking a little sheepish. With a trace of hesitation, she extends a hand towards yours; frankly, she looks just a little unsure of how she's supposed to react to this. You hear the owner let out a tight, quiet breath, almost a sigh.

« Reply #727 on: December 07, 2011, 09:56:11 AM »
>Nice surprises we've had so far almost balance out the bad surprise we got at the end of our last adventure...
>Shake the moles hand. "You take care, now." Keep her in mind in case we get anymore underground jobs here in and around town.
>Depart.

And because you got me curious, P,

>What's the going rate for a whore nowadays, anyway?

« Reply #728 on: December 07, 2011, 10:15:27 AM »
>Nice surprises we've had so far almost balance out the bad surprise we got at the end of our last adventure...
>Shake the moles hand. "You take care, now." Keep her in mind in case we get anymore underground jobs here in and around town.
>Depart.

>You think it's going to take a hell of a lot of nice surprises to balance that one out. Maybe starting with a cure...
>You shake Momoka's hand; she has a surprisingly firm grip once actual contact is made.
>"I- I'll try," she says, looking a little more comfortable now. "It was nice to meet you, too."
>Having said your farewells, you turn and exit the office.
>"Good luck finding that book!" Momoka calls out to you as you leave.
>The sounds of the mole being ushered towards the cellar fade away behind you as you quickly make your way out of the Wild Rose and back onto the streets. You believe it's somewhere around 2 in the afternoon, and the market is as busy as usual.

>What's the going rate for a whore nowadays, anyway?

>As you've never had occasion to price such services, you'd find it difficult to say.

« Reply #729 on: December 07, 2011, 11:06:59 AM »
>Note to learn that for after we cure ourselves.
>Current net worth.

« Reply #730 on: December 07, 2011, 11:45:21 AM »
>Note to learn that for after we cure ourselves.
>Current net worth.

>You make a mental note.
>Your net worth is perhaps not so easily tallied with some of the items in your possession, but you currently have 365 guilders.

« Reply #731 on: December 07, 2011, 11:54:54 AM »
>Approximately how long have we spent on this mission?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 12:02:01 PM by Sourfang, the Falling Star »

« Reply #732 on: December 07, 2011, 12:08:50 PM »
>Approximately how long have we spent on this mission?

>It's probably in the area of two hours or so since you left the guildhall, which is actually pretty good time for the pay, unpleasant client notwithstanding.

« Reply #733 on: December 07, 2011, 12:38:10 PM »
>Stretch.
>Mental chuckle at the poor hungover Dandelion. Sure hope she learned her lesson. We'd be quite cross if she puts another hole in Momoka's roof.
>Back to the guildhall, check our messages.

« Reply #734 on: December 08, 2011, 01:01:43 AM »
>Stretch.
>Mental chuckle at the poor hungover Dandelion. Sure hope she learned her lesson. We'd be quite cross if she puts another hole in Momoka's roof.
>Back to the guildhall, check our messages.

>You stretch and have a little chuckle at Dandelion's plight, then you make your way back to the guildhall and check in with Sashiko again.

>"Got something for you this time," she says, pulling an envelope out of one of the mail trays and handing it to you. "Young guy came by about a half hour ago, looking for you; said he was with the archeologists. Left this here when I told him you weren't around."

« Reply #735 on: December 08, 2011, 03:12:27 AM »
>Now we're in business.
>"Just what I was hoping to hear."
>Open and read.

« Reply #736 on: December 08, 2011, 04:34:54 AM »
>Now we're in business.
>"Just what I was hoping to hear."
>Open and read.

>You open the envelope and extract a short letter, written on good quality stationary. The penmanship is top-notch, each character flowing yet precise. It reads:

>Dear Nazrin,

>Sasha has informed me of the artifact you have uncovered and your desire to learn more about it and have its inscription translated. I've seen the copies she made of the rubbings, and they do seem broadly consistent with Freelands Archaic although some characters are unattested in previous inscriptions. Assuming it is authentic, this is an extremely significant find. Very few artifacts of the Freelands Archaic culture survive, and virtually none approach the condition I am told yours is in. Its archeological significance cannot be understated, particularly if it may imply the existence of a site similarly preserved.

>Unfortunately, while I am very interested in examining this artifact in person and would be more than happy to discuss it with you, I am afraid this will not be possible right now. Matters at the dig have been very busy lately, and require my continued presence here. The dig itself is closed the general public for reasons I hope you can appreciate; the archeological value of this site is much too great to run any risk of it being pilfered by people hoping for some quick cash. I am certainly not suggesting you are such a person, but it is a matter of policy to keep our specific location undisclosed to people outside of my own team. I hope you can understand.

>In lieu of a face-to-face meeting, I have sent one of our cameras in with Hideki Sato, the graduate student currently posted in Braston (You should be able to find him at the same place you found Sasha yesterday). I hope you will permit him to photograph the sword in detail for our records, and I promise I will devote time to examining the photos once he returns with the next supply shipment in a week's time.

>I cannot promise that an accurate translation of it will be possible, given how fragmentary our understanding of Freelands Archaic still is, but I will give it the best that we're currently capable of. Understand that this will take some time, however. That being said, I still hope to be able to meet with you in future, once things here are better organized, and ask that you continue to be in contact with us on this matter.

>Professor Keine Kamishirasawa
>Department of Archeology
>Grand Academy of Val Razua

« Reply #737 on: December 08, 2011, 05:35:31 AM »
Fuck.

Okay, Sour needs to rethink his plans.

EDIT: So, to sum up, my plan of 'Meeting Keine and getting a direction on curing ourselves' just went straight down the shitter. Anybody got anything else?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 06:09:39 AM by Sourfang, the Falling Star »

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #738 on: December 08, 2011, 06:14:33 AM »
I got nothing.
What about you Purvmeister?
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #739 on: December 08, 2011, 06:45:22 AM »
Well, there's a couple options we have.

-One is to go back and oversee the events in the farming town whose name I have forgotten, and get those ruins cleared up for investigation. This has the advantage of not being at all direct, but helping to clean up our own mess. ANd possibly beating the source with a rock until she tells us everything we need to know.
-Another is to meet cameraman and threaten to slit his throat if he doesn't tell us how to get to that dig site and deal with Keine about this directly.  Not as though we have much to lose. This has the advantage of getting us to a profession quickly, but also not but real promise of a cure.
-A third is to say to hell with all of it and go check out that Grand Academy. This has the advantage of being a wildcard.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #740 on: December 08, 2011, 07:10:52 AM »
Ah yeah! That's right!
Since this spider-lady who hexed us in the first place is implied to be Yamame(Just as I suspected), maybe she can fix the blight!
Because canonically, she's implied to be a healer as often as she is a hurter, being said to be the Underground's Incident-Solver.
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

« Reply #741 on: December 08, 2011, 07:37:48 AM »
Except she won't. If you'll recall, she hates us. She wants us dead. Getting beaten up by Marisa isn't likely to improve her disposition, and there's not enough time that's passed to let Ichirin work her magic on her. Whether the spider youkai is Yamame or not, she won't help us. I'd lay good odds on her trying to finish the job if she sees us again, and would only undermine what little progress Ichirin may have made. To say nothing of taking more time off our death clock.

However, we should see the cameraman. If nothing else, as a professional courtesy. If he can get us in to see Keine, that'd be excellent. If he can't, then that leaves us with option three. The Grand Academy of Val Razua. Keine may not be there atm, but surely she can't be the only historical expert in the city, though she may be the best. And even if that avenue isn't an option, there's still the faith/magic side we can attack from.
However, even this option is only viable, in my opinion, if we can find a fast ship. If normal flight takes a week, then we're not much better off that way. I think, after we see the cameraman, if that doesn't pan out, then we check out the docks, and see if we can find this worlds' equivilent of Han Solo.

>Twitch.
>Mutter, "Fine, then."
>Glance at Sashiko. "Ever have one of those days where you think some higher power's got it in for ya?"

« Reply #742 on: December 08, 2011, 07:52:20 AM »
>Twitch.
>Mutter, "Fine, then."
>Glance at Sashiko. "Ever have one of those days where you think some higher power's got it in for ya?"

>She gives you a wry little grin. "All the time. You know how it is on this side of the desk some days."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #743 on: December 08, 2011, 08:02:46 AM »
I think we can make Yamame talk. It won't be a pleasant process and there would be a whole lot of spider corpses to dispose of afterward, but we can most definitely make her talk.

>How does one appropriately blacklist a a shitty client?

« Reply #744 on: December 08, 2011, 08:18:34 AM »
>How does one appropriately blacklist a a shitty client?

>You'd need to register an official complaint and explain the situation and your reason for requesting a blacklisting, then it would be reviewed (probably by Rinnosuke himself) and possibly investigated further if he felt this was warranted. The paperwork would be going through Sashiko at the moment,  and you know that the appropriate forms are filed on the other side of this counter here.

« Reply #745 on: December 08, 2011, 09:02:54 AM »
Bitch though she may have been, I'm not certain an outright blacklist is warranted, not from our first experience. That said, however, a word of caution to the guild is definately warranted.

>Is there a 'Seeker take care when working for this person' list?

« Reply #746 on: December 08, 2011, 09:22:43 AM »
>Is there a 'Seeker take care when working for this person' list?

>They're essentially a very similar thing, just with differing degrees of emphasis, though something subjective that doesn't involve outright deception, putting Seekers at unnecessary risk, or failing to provide adequate payment is unlikely to be listed in any official capacity, though word does get around...

« Reply #747 on: December 08, 2011, 09:43:50 AM »
>"I'd almost take it over this last job."
>Put away the letter.
>"Just wrapped up a job for the owner of the Wild Rose, and she's gotta be one of the most unpleasant women to work for in town. Never mind about her attitude, which is one shade up from an ornery bear, or the fact that she may have shortchanged me a bit, she tried to exploit the youkai I met during the job, tried to clean her out AND get free labor out of the woman, and she's about as harmless as a newborn kitten. Shed've run roughshod over Momoka, if I hadn't been there to stand up for her."

« Reply #748 on: December 08, 2011, 09:59:24 AM »
>"I'd almost take it over this last job."
>Put away the letter.
>"Just wrapped up a job for the owner of the Wild Rose, and she's gotta be one of the most unpleasant women to work for in town. Never mind about her attitude, which is one shade up from an ornery bear, or the fact that she may have shortchanged me a bit, she tried to exploit the youkai I met during the job, tried to clean her out AND get free labor out of the woman, and she's about as harmless as a newborn kitten. Shed've run roughshod over Momoka, if I hadn't been there to stand up for her."

>You pocket the letter and explain a little of your experience with your last client.
>"Sounds fun," Sashiko says dryly.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #749 on: December 08, 2011, 10:08:17 AM »
>"Yeah, she was a real class act. Gave me shit while I was investigating, gave me shit when I recovered the goods that still existed, like it was somehow my fault they got used up, then this poor little mole youkai, she straight up tried to bully due to being an unwitting accomplice, and this is after she offered to fix the damage for free. You'll probably get an eyeful of her soon, because she's threatened to come here and complain. Probably because toward the end I got sick of her treating Momoka, that's the mole Youkai, like trash, and gave her a piece of my mind."