Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 6)  (Read 45891 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 6)
« Reply #660 on: December 04, 2011, 09:33:19 AM »
>"You're making a claim to breech of property, yes? Then knowing where the properly lines lay is very important."

>She gives you an irritated look. "I'm pretty sure the walls are my own property."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #661 on: December 04, 2011, 09:38:32 AM »
>"So, you are claiming that the property line doesn't extend beyond your walls?"

« Reply #662 on: December 04, 2011, 09:40:59 AM »
>"So, you are claiming that the property line doesn't extend beyond your walls?"

>"Of course it does," she replies, "but what does it matter? She admitted she broke through the wall, which is clearly my property no matter how you try to put it."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #663 on: December 04, 2011, 09:49:39 AM »
>"And she repaired it well enough that you didn't even know anything has happened. And was sturdy enough that it held up without any problems since then. until someone actively tried to dig through it. She did this free of charge, and did not bother the running of your establishment or even your peace of mind in the slightest. She is offering to do so, again, in response to a transgression that was not even her own. Again, if someone came off the street and robbed you, would you hold suit against the person who laid the street? The only real claim you have would be if she not fill in the length of tunnel throughout your property. So, where does the property line lay?"

« Reply #664 on: December 04, 2011, 10:02:06 AM »
>"And she repaired it well enough that you didn't even know anything has happened. And was sturdy enough that it held up without any problems since then. until someone actively tried to dig through it. She did this free of charge, and did not bother the running of your establishment or even your peace of mind in the slightest. She is offering to do so, again, in response to a transgression that was not even her own. Again, if someone came off the street and robbed you, would you hold suit against the person who laid the street? The only real claim you have would be if she not fill in the length of tunnel throughout your property. So, where does the property line lay?"

>The woman is silent for a few moments, though her expression softens little; she seems to be searching for a proper response to this and not finding one as quickly as she would like. Eventually she speaks again, her voice cool and measured.
>"I don't believe someone is cleared of trespassing simply if they're considerate enough to cover their tracks well."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #665 on: December 04, 2011, 10:12:56 AM »
>"I would think the free and completely non-obtrusive repairs move than covers for it. given time and labor. It was not just 'covering tracks'. You got proper repair work of quality that you did not notice it was done to begin with. Nor, I should note, did you take any pains to establish that there were subterranean property claims to begin with. How was Miss Momoka to know? She can't magically read dirt and determine that it's claimed."
>"As it stands, she is offering you a more comprehensive service to help prevent this from happening again, in repayment for a crime where she had no personal role. I think it would be wise of you to accept her offer and be grateful. If refused, I do not want to think how many guilders it would cost you to have the tunnel filled by yourself, let alone the time lost due to having workers carrying dirt into your basement."

« Reply #666 on: December 05, 2011, 12:38:31 AM »
>"I would think the free and completely non-obtrusive repairs move than covers for it. given time and labor. It was not just 'covering tracks'. You got proper repair work of quality that you did not notice it was done to begin with. Nor, I should note, did you take any pains to establish that there were subterranean property claims to begin with. How was Miss Momoka to know? She can't magically read dirt and determine that it's claimed."
>"As it stands, she is offering you a more comprehensive service to help prevent this from happening again, in repayment for a crime where she had no personal role. I think it would be wise of you to accept her offer and be grateful. If refused, I do not want to think how many guilders it would cost you to have the tunnel filled by yourself, let alone the time lost due to having workers carrying dirt into your basement."

>"She's liable for the damage in either case," the woman replies. "So whether she wants to fix it herself or pay someone else to do it is her business."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #667 on: December 05, 2011, 01:24:15 AM »
>"She fixed the wall, to the point that you failed to notice it. Someone else broke it again. She is not liable this time, the faerie is. However, she is offering to fix it out of the kindness of her heart, free of charge. Are you saying you do not want this? Would you rather ask for money to pay for the repairs, and hire slower, lesser quality workmen who will be repairing during your business hours? I'm not sure how you expect to remain open while they're carting down hundreds of pounds of dirt. But if that makes you happy, I suppose..."

« Reply #668 on: December 05, 2011, 01:35:39 AM »
>"She fixed the wall, to the point that you failed to notice it. Someone else broke it again. She is not liable this time, the faerie is. However, she is offering to fix it out of the kindness of her heart, free of charge. Are you saying you do not want this? Would you rather ask for money to pay for the repairs, and hire slower, lesser quality workmen who will be repairing during your business hours? I'm not sure how you expect to remain open while they're carting down hundreds of pounds of dirt. But if that makes you happy, I suppose..."

>She gives you a silent adversarial stare while apparently mulling over the reality you point out, as much as she clearly does not like it. Then she turns to Momoka again.
>"You understand that I'm out hundreds of guilders because of you, right?"
>Momoka frowns nervously. "I- I'm really sorry. Honestly, I am. I wish there was something more I could do...." She looks down at the floor.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #669 on: December 05, 2011, 01:59:16 AM »
So, it seems she is trying to change tactics to bullying Momoka. Shall we keep on the aggressive (pointing out that losing money to a faerie is like losing money to a lightning strike)? Or try to bring it to a quick end and likely weaken our position if she demands more?

« Reply #670 on: December 05, 2011, 03:10:45 AM »
From the sound of things, I'm betting she's a selfish little bitch that, since she can't get anything out of a fairy, she's trying to squeeze Momoka. I don't think she's been listening to you, frankly. You explained, fairly well I think, that Momoka already did everything she could have done, and yet missy's still saying 'you owe me.'
Matter of fact, I'm tempted to actually say words to that effect. Something like "Haven't you been listening? Or are you just trying to exploit this situation as much as you can."
Although your first listed approach of keeping blame on Dandelion is a good approach, too. Don't let her shift the blame off where it belongs.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #671 on: December 05, 2011, 03:14:50 AM »
Sort of. We've definitely taken some wind out of her sails, from the reactions we've gotten. Definitely aiming for a mean parting shot.

>"Actually, you're out of hundreds of guilders due to a faerie. Which is rather like saying you're out of hundreds of guilders due an ice storm. Now, if you would like to try to do something about this faerie, I would be happy to show you where she lives. Though I wouldn't be surprised if she tried to bite you. But as it stands, I think Miss Momoka's offer is quite generous. Will you accept it?"

« Reply #672 on: December 05, 2011, 03:24:33 AM »
>"Actually, you're out of hundreds of guilders due to a faerie. Which is rather like saying you're out of hundreds of guilders due an ice storm. Now, if you would like to try to do something about this faerie, I would be happy to show you where she lives. Though I wouldn't be surprised if she tried to bite you. But as it stands, I think Miss Momoka's offer is quite generous. Will you accept it?"

>She stares stone-faced at you for a few more moments; her eyes betray the resentment lurking beneath her determined visage, though there is less confidence in her gaze than when she started. A small victory, perhaps. It is with great deliberateness that she eventually replies.
>"I want the whole tunnel filled in," she says. "All of it. And a signed statement promising never to dig anywhere near here again."
>"It... it's rather long," Momoka says weakly.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #673 on: December 05, 2011, 03:44:43 AM »
>"And what gives you the right to dictate what roads she can and cannot travel on? As well, what say do you have over the property that is not your own. Miss Momoka will repair your wall and fill in the tunnel to your property line. Anything extra will come from the goodness of her heart, so I would recommend asking her nicely."

« Reply #674 on: December 05, 2011, 03:54:39 AM »
>"And what gives you the right to dictate what roads she can and cannot travel on? As well, what say do you have over the property that is not your own. Miss Momoka will repair your wall and fill in the tunnel to your property line. Anything extra will come from the goodness of her heart, so I would recommend asking her nicely."

>"I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd take issue with her digging through their property," she replies. "Shall I go ask them?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #675 on: December 05, 2011, 04:00:40 AM »
>"Go right ahead. Then we can take it to court, and you can find out it's about as silly as saying she can't breath air near your property. And then we can find out how you expect people to stay off your property when you didn't even mark it down there. Would they uphold such a claim when you didn't put up and fences aboveground? Not bloody likely. And if you'd like to spend the money in court fees and retaining a barrister, and if you'd like to spend weeks and months pursuing it, only to have it shut down in your face, be my guest. Or, you could try to work nicely with Miss Momoka, save a lot of time and money, and give the top quality work we talked about earlier rather than having to shut down your establishment for easily up to a week. But if you want to take the long and expensive way for less profit out of spite, well...have a nice life, I suppose?"

« Reply #676 on: December 05, 2011, 05:06:32 AM »
>"Go right ahead. Then we can take it to court, and you can find out it's about as silly as saying she can't breath air near your property. And then we can find out how you expect people to stay off your property when you didn't even mark it down there. Would they uphold such a claim when you didn't put up and fences aboveground? Not bloody likely. And if you'd like to spend the money in court fees and retaining a barrister, and if you'd like to spend weeks and months pursuing it, only to have it shut down in your face, be my guest. Or, you could try to work nicely with Miss Momoka, save a lot of time and money, and give the top quality work we talked about earlier rather than having to shut down your establishment for easily up to a week. But if you want to take the long and expensive way for less profit out of spite, well...have a nice life, I suppose?"

>She regards you sourly; you see her lips twitch slightly, as though she were having trouble bringing herself to respond to this.
>"Fine," she says curtly, a sheen of professionalism wrapped around ice. "But I want it in writing."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #677 on: December 05, 2011, 05:23:30 AM »
>"What do you do you think about that, Miss Momoka?"
>Glance back toward shopkeeper, "And what are we talking about when we say near?"

« Reply #678 on: December 05, 2011, 05:37:26 AM »
>"What do you do you think about that, Miss Momoka?"
>Glance back toward shopkeeper, "And what are we talking about when we say near?"

>"It's ok," the youkai replies tentatively, then raises her eyes to the owner and sketches a meek smile. "I don't want you to feel uncomfortable about anyone stealing from you again, after all this... really...."
>She considers this briefly, and then responds with "100 feet." There is a trace of a sigh mingled with her words.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #679 on: December 05, 2011, 05:38:36 AM »
>Look to Momoka. "Do you think that is reasonable?"
>Not as though she's going to know if anyone got within ten feet, now that we think on it...

« Reply #680 on: December 05, 2011, 05:43:27 AM »
>Look to Momoka. "Do you think that is reasonable?"
>Not as though she's going to know if anyone got within ten feet, now that we think on it...

>"I'll be sure to stay away from your property," she replies to the owner. "I promise."
>Almost certainly not, unless she kept her ears permanently stuck to the cellar walls for any faint sounds of digging.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #681 on: December 05, 2011, 05:50:27 AM »
>"Then we have an agreement! Momoka, do you have anything to write down that statement on?"
>What sort of payment was promised for this job?

« Reply #682 on: December 05, 2011, 05:55:45 AM »
>"Then we have an agreement! Momoka, do you have anything to write down that statement on?"

>"Er, um... well..."
>"I'll do it," the proprietor replies, deftly fetching pen and paper from her desk. She begins swiftly drafting the statement in brusk, angular handwriting.

>What sort of payment was promised for this job?

>The job posting was non-specific and you neglected to work out the financial details before you undertook the job.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #683 on: December 05, 2011, 06:00:06 AM »
>Oh goodie, we get to rub it in her face how much shit we saved her~
>Be sure to have a look at that document before Momoka signs it.

« Reply #684 on: December 05, 2011, 06:18:21 AM »
>Oh goodie, we get to rub it in her face how much shit we saved her~
>Be sure to have a look at that document before Momoka signs it.

>You're certainly in no mood to be either charitable or modest to her at the moment.
>The woman finishes writing and bruskly flips the document around on the table towards Momoka. The mole leans in almost humorously close to it and adjusts her glasses with one hand while her head moves along the text. You lean over and take a look at it yourself. Fortunately, it appears to be nothing more than a few simple and very specific statements regarding Momoka pledging to repair the damage, fill in the part of the tunnel that falls within the Wild Rose's property, and not dig within 100 feet of it in future. You don't notice any ambiguous statements, trick clauses, or loopholes.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #685 on: December 05, 2011, 06:22:44 AM »
>"That looks good to me."

« Reply #686 on: December 05, 2011, 06:29:20 AM »
>"That looks good to me."

>You catch a thinly irritated glance the woman discretely throws you as you say this, but she does not otherwise respond. Momoka picks up the pen and signs her name to the document. The woman flips it back around, gives it an appraising look, then deposits it inside a desk drawer.
>"I trust you'll start work soon?" she says to the mole.
>"Um, I can... take a look at it now, if you'd like," Momoka replies.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #687 on: December 05, 2011, 06:44:37 AM »
>"That might be a good idea. I have a bit of business to discuss, yet."

« Reply #688 on: December 05, 2011, 06:46:28 AM »
>"That might be a good idea. I have a bit of business to discuss, yet."

>The owner gives you a look. "Your payment, I assume?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #689 on: December 05, 2011, 06:53:24 AM »
>Nod.