Author Topic: Let's Discuss Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Happiest Anime Ever  (Read 104935 times)

Re: Let's Discuss Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Happiest Anime Ever
« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2011, 07:24:10 AM »
Now that I understand the full ramifications of the "deconstruction" bit, I think I just might be able to get into Madoka. From a distance, though, I don't think I could actually watch it.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2011, 12:03:09 PM »
To be honest, I would scroll past the OP every time. I just thought it was a wholly forgettable, generic anime opening.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

lumber_of_the_beast

« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2011, 04:26:01 PM »
So, I think I'm actually going to get around to watching it now.

Which fansub group do you guys like? I was gonna go with yesy, but they've yet to release subs of episodes 11 and 12, so... :V

Tengukami

« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2011, 04:41:27 PM »
I went with Chihiro and gg myself.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

JT

« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2011, 04:49:10 PM »
I actually just started downloading the first few episodes of this. I never really paid any attention to it while it was airing. I figured it was just some generic pedo magical girl thing like Nanoha, but one of my friends was like "NO SERIOUSLY BRO DUDE IT'S COOL WATCH IT SERIOUSLY BRO IT'S GOOD" and now I've finally caved. So... I guess we'll see what happens.

OK, so I just watched the first 3 episodes. Here's how it went:

"Am I really about to sit here and watch a fucking magical girl show? [Friend] is probably trolling the shit out of me."
(OP starts up)
"baaaarrrf"

3 episodes later:

Spoiler:
"MAMI'S DEAD??? BUT SHE WAS MY FAVORITE! ALL SHE WANTED WAS A FRIEND. OH GOD WHY ;__; "

So yeah, my preconceived notions about this show were pretty wrong. If my friend WAS trolling me, then the joke's on him because I'm actually enjoying it. I especially like the trippy witch barrier sequences.

Tengukami

« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2011, 04:52:03 PM »
I was totally the same way. I watched the first episode and was like, "Pfft, dropped. Right after I get some insulin." But then after much convincing, I marathoned the series and was completely turned around.

lumber_of_the_beast

ふとくていなねこじょおう

• Cirno Kisaragi
  • When Ice Cars completely miss the intended target
« Reply #67 on: April 30, 2011, 05:41:44 PM »
Madoka is a trap, really. But the best trap you've ever fallen for, in my opinion.  :3
"I'm not sure about this anymore...Are you sure this is safe?"

"Absolutely! This is 100% safe! ...Not."

ふとくていなねこじょおう

• Cirno Kisaragi

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #70 on: April 30, 2011, 10:53:43 PM »
hah hah, oh wow
Hope there was a guaranteed contract of taste with these!

This was hilarious. My interest in Madoka just jumped up a bit more.
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

Firestorm29

• Lily White Mage
  • Spring Time is Healing Time~
« Reply #71 on: May 01, 2011, 12:15:43 PM »
I got done watching this a few days ago. I'm just outright shocked how it went, it just kept on making twists I never saw coming.

ふとくていなねこじょおう

• Cirno Kisaragi
« Reply #72 on: May 01, 2011, 12:58:28 PM »
That, my friend, is the essence of Madoka. Plot twists that leave you upside down and backwards.

JT

« Reply #73 on: May 01, 2011, 05:08:45 PM »

"...What the hell are you watching?"
"Oh this? It's a cartoon for psychotic pedophiles. Want to watch it with me?"
"OK."

So yeah, just finished this last night. Some impressions:

Spoiler:
Faust much? I was also getting a pretty strong Lovecraftian vibe, though I guess that makes sense given who wrote it. And trite as it might sound, Madoka herself strikes me as kind of a Christ figure. I guess. I don't know, I could probably bullshit an essay about it.

Spoiler:
Anne Frank was a Magical Girl? Wat? What did she wish for? Was her overall impact on the fate of the human race really that huge? Her powers must have sucked.

Spoiler:
Mami is supposed to be like 13, but I find her irresistibly hot, so fuck me I guess. It's no fair dude! How am I supposed to feel when every artist everywhere draws her as a voluptuous adult woman? And I mean, seriously, a corset and thigh highs on a fucking middle schooler? Really? Knock that shit off, Japan. Oh well, I guess I'm a pedophile now.

Spoiler:
Kyubey is an evil little prick, and the true antagonist of the story. I don't really understand how people can see any kind of moral ambiguity in his character. Yeah, he's not an egotistical maniac, and he offers justification for his actions, but his sociopathic indifference to the girls' suffering makes him just as cruel and fucked up as any other villain. His analogy about cattle is fallacious because cows aren't self-aware, we try to minimize their suffering rather than amplify it, and they're killed swiftly, mercifully, and late into their lifespans (at least compared to Magical Girls). He says that his people feel no emotion, but they must feel something, because why else would they care about preserving themselves? He says that he has no concept of deceit and repeatedly blames the girls for everything, yet he willfully withheld information from them because he knew it would influence their decisions. We also have no reason to believe that he wasn't mistaken or outright lying about the Incubators' influence on human progress -- it's not as if he has no motivation for doing so. That little fucker.

Spoiler:
Actually, is it just me, or is Kyubey basically the Anti-Spiral? Only the protagonists just kind of reluctantly go along for the ride with him instead of just being like "FUCK YEAH WE'RE GONNA KICK YOUR ASS SUCKA"

Spoiler:
Overall, this show was one of the most bizarre, depressing works of fiction I've experienced in a long time. This show bummed me out more than The Road. Really! Because while both Madoka and The Road are ultimately about keeping hope alive even when everything goes to absolute shit, Madoka's ending didn't really convince me. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems pretty clear that Urobuchi had to really strain himself to come up with one where everyone doesn't die horrible meaningless deaths. He even wrote in the afterword to volume 1 of Fate/zero about how he kinda sucks at that.

ふとくていなねこじょおう

• Cirno Kisaragi
« Reply #74 on: May 01, 2011, 05:17:51 PM »
Spoiler:
About Anne Frank being a Puella, remember that she was still in hiding when D-Day happened. Her wish may have been granted with the coming of the allies into Nazi territory. It's not her fault that she and her family were discovered shortly afterwards.

Besides, her power might not have been great enough to wish for an end to such a large-scale war.

Moerin

• What's punk? It's an explosion of suppressed dissatisfaction.
  • It's the roar of the soul!
« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2011, 05:27:55 PM »
Spoiler:
Actually, is it just me, or is Kyubey basically the Anti-Spiral? Only the protagonists just kind of reluctantly go along for the ride with him instead of just being like "FUCK YEAH WE'RE GONNA KICK YOUR ASS SUCKA"
Oh thank god I'm not the only one who sees it.  From the moment
Spoiler:
he first revealed what the Incubators were doing
I thought the two were basically the same thing.

...Also Mami is older than Madoka, and Madoka is apparently 14, so... Probably doesn't make it that much better, but still. >.>
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 05:29:27 PM by Kriemhild Gretchrin »
The solution to all of life's problems!

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #76 on: May 01, 2011, 05:46:41 PM »
I think you told it to me best, JT.

If I drew a picture of a hot anime girl and told you she was a chicken, does that mean you're into chickens?

Don't worry about finding characters attractive for whatever reason. I like Mami a lot too.

JT

« Reply #77 on: May 01, 2011, 06:27:30 PM »
Thanks. I know, I just like to kid. :derp:

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #78 on: May 01, 2011, 06:35:24 PM »
Spoiler:
Faust much?
You have no idea.
Spoiler:
Throughout the series, there lie, scattered in the backgrounds as writings on paper or graffity on walls, pieces of German text. They are excerpts from Goethe's Faust.

Spoiler:
Kyubey is an evil little prick, and the true antagonist of the story. I don't really understand how people can see any kind of moral ambiguity in his character.
Spoiler:
For one, if he cannot experience emotions, he cannot understand the suffering the girls go through and thus would not see it as anything too bad. Also, heat death of the universe would be pretty bad for anyone, so preventing that is, on the cosmic scale, a good thing.
He is the villain, but he is not evil, no matter how much I want to punch the little fucker.
:V

I guess I'm a pedophile now.
I do not think you know what that word means.  :derp:
Since you are attracted to her because of the things about her that are not childlike, your statement is the opposite of true.  :]
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 06:37:49 PM by Iryan »
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

ふとくていなねこじょおう

• Cirno Kisaragi
« Reply #79 on: May 01, 2011, 06:38:14 PM »
Anyone notice that
Spoiler:
The first girl Madoka saves is Orinko, from the prequel manga Orinko Magica?

Read about it in some other forum.  :derp:

JT

« Reply #80 on: May 01, 2011, 07:01:15 PM »
Spoiler:
For one, if he cannot experience emotions, he cannot understand the suffering the girls go through and thus would not see it as anything too bad. Also, heat death of the universe would be pretty bad for anyone, so preventing that is, on the cosmic scale, a good thing.
He is the villain, but he is not evil, no matter how much I want to punch the little fucker.

It's like I said, though. He must have some concept of fear and suffering, because he resists death. Besides, by that logic, couldn't we just as easily say Jame Gumb isn't evil, since he's a psychopath who doesn't think of his victims as people?

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #81 on: May 01, 2011, 07:12:15 PM »
Animals can feel pain and pleasure and know to avoid death, but I wouldn't say that they're capable of real emotions the way humans are. I definitely see your point though.

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
« Reply #82 on: May 01, 2011, 07:17:21 PM »
It's like I said, though. He must have some concept of fear and suffering, because he resists death. Besides, by that logic, couldn't we just as easily say Jame Gumb isn't evil, since he's a psychopath who doesn't think of his victims as people?
We can get into a semantic argument about the precise definition of "evil", but I don't think this is what you intend.

Besides, the main point still stands. It is one of the classic moral dilemmas.
Spoiler:
Suffering of the few innocent vs death for the masses.

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

JT

« Reply #83 on: May 01, 2011, 08:01:44 PM »
We can get into a semantic argument about the precise definition of "evil", but I don't think this is what you intend.
Semantic? All I'm suggesting is that a lack of a capacity for guilt doesn't necessarily absolve someone of accountability for their actions. I don't really see where semantics comes into that.

Besides, the main point still stands. It is one of the classic moral dilemmas.
Spoiler:
Suffering of the few innocent vs death for the masses.
Even then, though, I can't sympathize with his actions because it's a false dichotomy.
Spoiler:
Is the threat of heat death really so imminent that they must resort to such an inhumane solution immediately? Why not wait and search for an alternative? We know for a fact that there's a shitzillion years left until energy really starts getting scarce. What's the big rush?

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
« Reply #84 on: May 01, 2011, 08:19:56 PM »
Semantic? All I'm suggesting is that a lack of a capacity for guilt doesn't necessarily absolve someone of accountability for their actions. I don't really see where semantics comes into that.
Is it "evil" if you do something that you perceive as good even if it is bad? If you think you save somebodie's life but instead you kill somebody, was that act evil?
And it is not the lack for a capability of guilt, it is the lack for a capability to see what is wrong with your action.
Spoiler:
Considering how far his mind seems to be distant from that of a human, if he were a human, he actually would not be legally accountable for those actions. He would be locked up in a mental institution, not a prison.

You do not see how it is semantics? Whether or not
Spoiler:
Kyuubey is "evil" is nothing but semantics, because it hinges completely on the precise definition of evil.
Some definitions would fit, some would not.

Even then, though, I can't sympathize with his actions because it's a false dichotomy.
Spoiler:
Is the threat of heat death really so imminent that they must resort to such an inhumane solution immediately? Why not wait and search for an alternative? We know for a fact that there's a shitzillion years left until energy really starts getting scarce. What's the big rush?
He supposedly knows alot more than we know, and the perceived distance of the event might be because of his actions in the first place. Not to mention that how close real life science applies to the setting of the anime is questionable, considering
Spoiler:
kyuubey's not really scientific explanation of entropy in the first place
as well as, you know, the existence of magic.  :derp:

Drake

« Reply #85 on: May 01, 2011, 09:58:56 PM »
Anyone notice that
Spoiler:
The first girl Madoka saves is Orinko, from the prequel manga Orinko Magica?

Read about it in some other forum.  :derp:
It isn't Oriko. They just went "lol green hair = IT'S ORIKO" but no it isn't. You can compare the two yourself.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

ふとくていなねこじょおう

• Cirno Kisaragi
« Reply #86 on: May 02, 2011, 12:22:41 AM »
It isn't Oriko. They just went "lol green hair = IT'S ORIKO" but no it isn't. You can compare the two yourself.

Oh, you're right.

Lexicat

• Cat in a Rage
  • Who am I again?
« Reply #87 on: May 02, 2011, 01:19:10 AM »
being meguca is suffering.

Wisp

• Oh?
  • Asuka, asuka, asuka...
They think I'll think that they'll do (A) so they'll do (B) because I wouldn't think they'd think of that but then because they might think I know what they're thinking they'll do (A) after all because I wouldn't think they'd think that way.

ふとくていなねこじょおう

• Cirno Kisaragi
« Reply #89 on: May 02, 2011, 01:31:44 AM »
Madoka + Inception <3

...Now I actually want to see Inception.  :derp: