Author Topic: Let's Discuss Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Happiest Anime Ever  (Read 104945 times)

Berzul

• (*7(*7(*7(*7(*7
  • Round face... z( ⌣ω⌣)z
Re: Let's Discuss Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Happiest Anime Ever
« Reply #480 on: December 18, 2011, 02:24:43 AM »
Is Kyubey voiced by a female.. or a male? can't tell... Anyways... Is you treasure the life you currently live, well have a good laugh at it :P

Why is that anime voice actors of English must have that... "anime" voice instead of just a normal voice of an "normal" actor you can hear in any other movie or so?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 02:28:25 AM by Berzul »

UncertainJakutten

• Then you should get out of the way when I tell you
  • Do you not trust my aim?
« Reply #481 on: December 18, 2011, 03:01:36 AM »
Is Kyubey voiced by a female.. or a male? can't tell... Anyways... Is you treasure the life you currently live, well have a good laugh at it :P

Why is that anime voice actors of English must have that... "anime" voice instead of just a normal voice of an "normal" actor you can hear in any other movie or so?

A female! Hilarious, huh?

« Reply #482 on: December 18, 2011, 05:32:51 AM »
I read somewhere that the localization-studio (of ... I forget what show) were forcing the dub-actors to imitate terrible line-readings instead of acting. This doesn't explain the studio's reasoning, though ...

If I had to guess, though, I'd blame the otakus who insist on leaving in "-chan" and "-sempai" unlocalized because they want an "'authentic' 'Japanese' experience."
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 05:34:24 AM by KimikoMuffin »

Drake

« Reply #483 on: December 18, 2011, 06:08:07 AM »
the voices are pretty disgusting i hope this is a troll by urobochi

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
« Reply #484 on: December 18, 2011, 04:42:16 PM »
I can see how the Madoka voice could work, in the latter part of the clip she actually sounded like an uncertain young teenager.
Not so much on some of the others.

A shame but English dubs are really hit or miss, and the ones that are standouts tend not to have mostly teenage girls.  And they all have that English Dub Anime Girlvoice which sounds the same no matter who is actually voicing it  :derp:

Prody

• (*'v'*) Creation
  • 『てめえら全員、ぶっ飛ばす!!』
    • Prody's other youtube channel
Prody's anime list! - Prody's favourite MADs on NicoDouga! - Me when steam trading
I wonder if anyone knows the true meaning of the last song in Nanairo?
the economy the economy the economy the economy

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #486 on: December 18, 2011, 09:44:12 PM »
I read somewhere that the localization-studio (of ... I forget what show) were forcing the dub-actors to imitate terrible line-readings instead of acting. This doesn't explain the studio's reasoning, though ...

If I had to guess, though, I'd blame the otakus who insist on leaving in "-chan" and "-sempai" unlocalized because they want an "'authentic' 'Japanese' experience."

Maybe it's because they want you to listen to the Japanese version, but are adding half-assed dubs to appease the people who only watch anime dubbed.

Paper Conan

• Productivity, all day 'erry day
  • NOPE, just kidding~
« Reply #487 on: December 18, 2011, 10:44:12 PM »
I can see how the Madoka voice could work, in the latter part of the clip she actually sounded like an uncertain young teenager.
Not so much on some of the others.

A shame but English dubs are really hit or miss, and the ones that are standouts tend not to have mostly teenage girls.  And they all have that English Dub Anime Girlvoice which sounds the same no matter who is actually voicing it  :derp:
As long as it does not include Tohru MOTHERFUCKING Honda's voice (which is everywhere), it'll be fine.
0u0

Seventh Holy Scripture

• Err... d'ya need somethin' from me?
« Reply #488 on: December 18, 2011, 11:04:17 PM »

In my knowledge there are two reasons why dubs tend to be awful:

1) Anime publishers won't pay SAG union rates to voice actors, thus they can employ only newbies who haven't joined the union or those who are willing to secretly do some work on the side. The latter usually get credited under creative pseudonyms like "Dick Smallberries Jr."

2) Everything is recorded in a single take as quickly and cheaply as possible. In the case of the Madoka video, the quality's awful enough I have to wonder if they had the actresses record those lines themselves using computer microphones, rather than getting them together in a sound booth.  ???

Of course, those both stem from the same root cause- anime publishers are really cheap. If you look at voice acting gigs with a budget, like video games, Disney's Ghibli releases or any 3D kids' film, most at least aren't embarrassingly bad. Like Matsuri suggested, maybe anime dubs are just being done to appease the devoted fans at this point. (On the flip side, I'm sure there are plenty of people who won't watch dubs no matter how good they are, so really... why bother?)

I don't know why one would deliberately tell voice actors not to act, but I do know the consideration of matching audio to lip movements can result in some pretty stilted English dialogue. I have doubts the typical dub bothers with even that much in the way of direction, though.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #489 on: December 18, 2011, 11:11:57 PM »
Like Matsuri suggested, maybe anime dubs are just being done to appease the devoted fans at this point. (On the flip side, I'm sure there are plenty of people who won't watch dubs no matter how good they are, so really... why bother?)

My theory is that it's done for the sake of sales-- the more people they can draw to it, the more they can sell, after all! If dub-watchers see that it's sub-only, they're going to be turned off, but if they see that it's got English dubs along with the Japanese original, it is more likely to sell for them. Of course, those who don't watch dubs still get the Japanese original, so basically everyone wins.

Except for people who actually like good dubs, at least. BV

ふとくていなねこじょおう

• Cirno Kisaragi
  • When Ice Cars completely miss the intended target
« Reply #490 on: December 19, 2011, 12:11:12 AM »
So I just found out that Homura's voice seiyuu is the same that does Taokaka's voice in Blazblue.  :derp:
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 12:31:43 AM by ふとくていなねこじょおう »
"I'm not sure about this anymore...Are you sure this is safe?"

"Absolutely! This is 100% safe! ...Not."

Prody

• (*'v'*) Creation
  • 『てめえら全員、ぶっ飛ばす!!』
    • Prody's other youtube channel
« Reply #491 on: December 19, 2011, 10:41:49 AM »
So I just found out that Homura's voice seiyuu is the same that does Taokaka's voice in Blazblue.  :derp:

On topic, I myself don't mind watching dubs at all. Whether they're good or bad, it's interesting to hear something different.
Prody's anime list! - Prody's favourite MADs on NicoDouga! - Me when steam trading
I wonder if anyone knows the true meaning of the last song in Nanairo?
the economy the economy the economy the economy

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #492 on: December 19, 2011, 07:53:19 PM »

That trailer was practically screaming for a parody.

CS

• Undying hunger
  • Om nom nom
« Reply #493 on: December 20, 2011, 03:29:05 AM »
Spoiler:
So... Hitomi's the main character, Madoka's a black man, Sayaka's her worst enemy, Junko sounds like Gollum (from LoTR), Homura's the transfer dawg, Mami's big boooooooooooooooobs, Kyubey's a magical rapist, Kyouko's an aggressive lesbian and it's directed by Mr. DRUUUUUUUGS...
seems legit.

Spoiler:
At 0:56... oo so this series would be seen through Fuminori's eyes, I see...
Madness?

Drake

« Reply #494 on: December 20, 2011, 03:46:13 AM »
these guys sound like a high school anime club

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -