Author Topic: Keep reading the news!  (Read 64840 times)

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Re: Keep reading the news!
« Reply #150 on: January 10, 2011, 05:48:17 PM »
About time someone said it.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #151 on: January 10, 2011, 09:22:30 PM »
He's also criminally retarded if he thinks that'll pass.  Arguably the most important function of the first amendment is the ability to criticize the government without repercussion.  Having to watch your damn back every time you offhandedly say something like "God, I wish (insert politician here) would get hit by a train"... no thank you.
What, the Sedition Act was a perfectly fine piece of--okay, I can't bring myself to finish that sentence.

While the intent to block people who have ever been checked into a mental health institution is noble, it's clearly missing that not everyone who is criminally insane has been institutionalized (and not all mass murderers are criminally insane).  Moreover, institutionalizing everyone who could possibly be criminally insane is infeasible, exploitable, and abjectly insulting.

Also, is it just me or is Hillary Clinton much more palatable now than she was years ago?

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #152 on: January 10, 2011, 09:43:55 PM »
Also, is it just me or is Hillary Clinton much more palatable now than she was years ago?

Too much bad tea does that to a person.

Tengukami

« Reply #153 on: January 10, 2011, 09:48:36 PM »
While the intent to block people who have ever been checked into a mental health institution is noble, it's clearly missing that not everyone who is criminally insane has been institutionalized (and not all mass murderers are criminally insane).

Be that as it may, we do have a record of who has been institutionalized, and federal law allows us to prevent those people from purchasing firearms. Unfortunately, some states are less rigorous than others, legislatively, on what this means.

Moreover, institutionalizing everyone who could possibly be criminally insane is infeasible, exploitable, and abjectly insulting.

Fortunately no one is suggesting this.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #154 on: January 11, 2011, 12:32:49 AM »
Heh heh.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE7092G220110110

Looks like you got your wish, Amat.
Jack49 wrote:

H. Clinton says we should reject radical ideologies. So, who decides what a radical ideology is? But we can know that Clinton?s emotional reaction was from the sentiment that murder is wrong. And I agree that murder is wrong. However, if Clinton were honest and thinking, she would have to extend her logic to include in her definition of murder as a radical ideology, the Democrat agenda of abortion on damand. I for one think that the Democrat idiology of freedome for all women to murder their unborn child merely for their convenience is a radical idiology. And the child who is torn to pieces right in his mother?s womb would think so too.
And of course someone had to bring something like that up.

Quad City QBs

• tumblr, tumblr, in the attic,
  • who is the most problematic?
    • maullarmaullar @ Tumblr
« Reply #155 on: January 11, 2011, 01:19:06 AM »
Tea Party Express Fundraises Off Giffords Shooting: 'Tea Party Won't Be Silenced'

It is quite clear that liberals are trying to exploit this shooting for their own political benefit, and they used deception and dishonesty to try and smear all of us and our beliefs.

We ask you to please stand with the Tea Party Express and show your support for our efforts.

You can make a contribution online right now to the Tea Party Express - CLICK HERE TO CONTRIBUTE.

liberals are trying to exploit this shooting for their own political benefit

You can make a contribution online right now to the Tea Party Express - CLICK HERE TO CONTRIBUTE.

exploit this shooting for their own political benefit

CLICK HERE TO CONTRIBUTE.

Nothing in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor as creating an attorney-client relationship, nor as an advertisement for legal or law-related services.
Art Thread | Writing Thread | Tumblr NSFWAsk.fm

« Reply #156 on: January 11, 2011, 01:22:34 AM »
Hey, those other guys are money grubbing bastards! Give your money to us, and we'll make sure it's in safe hands!

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #157 on: January 11, 2011, 01:31:37 AM »
After a celebrity death, it's always morbidly amusing to see how low various organizations will go to try to capitalize on it.

The thing is, not only do they expect that kind of, ah, "bold" ploy to work, it probably will.

Silent Harmony

• Everybody needs the Pharmarcy
  • Justice never dies!
« Reply #158 on: January 11, 2011, 01:58:27 AM »
In lighter news, Sega installs "Toylet" games around Tokyo. I don't know if this is to alleviate boredom or help old people aim or what.

Here are the games.

1CC List (all shmups)
League of Legends / Battle.net: Harmony11(#1694)

MayKissingDoveWyks

• I can't stop being a perv!
« Reply #159 on: January 11, 2011, 02:08:44 AM »

Here are the games.

I'm really thinking about why the 3rd and fourth games are enjoyable on the toilet, let alone any of these games...

But eh... It's japan. They have everything.

Quad City QBs

« Reply #160 on: January 11, 2011, 02:38:03 AM »
Seriously, the least you could do--if you were in any way a legitimate political actor--would be to lay out some boilerplate about how civilized, rational debate is now more important than ever for all sides, and ask people to contribute to the conversation, or whatever.  It'd still be cynical, transparent, mercenary money-grubbing, but at least it'd be better than this dreck:

If Jared Loughner does have a definable political ideology it is that of a far Left anarchist. Loughner is a mentally disturbed young man who sought his ideological fulfillment from the Communist Manifesto - hardly the Bible of the Tea Party movement. He posted videos of flag burning on his YouTube channel - again, antics more consistent with Blame America First liberals, not the tea party movement.

Nothing in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor as creating an attorney-client relationship, nor as an advertisement for legal or law-related services.

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #161 on: January 11, 2011, 02:45:33 AM »
Hey, those other guys are money grubbing bastards! Give your money to us, and we'll make sure it's in safe hands!

And while you're at it, buy gold!

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #162 on: January 11, 2011, 03:00:18 AM »
If Jared Loughner does have a definable political ideology it is that of a far Left anarchist. Loughner is a mentally disturbed young man who sought his ideological fulfillment from the Communist Manifesto - hardly the Bible of the Tea Party movement. He posted videos of flag burning on his YouTube channel - again, antics more consistent with Blame America First liberals, not the tea party movement.
The real tragedy is that this is the only report of the issue some people will see, and they'll buy it.  Especially since I'm p r e t t y sure his ideology was more closely aligned with the Tea Party (plus the congresswoman was a Dem who had just defeated a TP-backed candidate, probably not a far Left anarchist's ideal target BUT etc.).

« Reply #163 on: January 11, 2011, 03:20:12 AM »
The real tragedy is that this is the only report of the issue some people will see, and they'll buy it.  Especially since I'm p r e t t y sure his ideology was more closely aligned with the Tea Party (plus the congresswoman was a Dem who had just defeated a TP-backed candidate, probably not a far Left anarchist's ideal target BUT etc.).
Well it certainly was no less rediculous than the tea party's :smug: :smug: :smug:

Quad City QBs

« Reply #164 on: January 11, 2011, 05:10:02 AM »
Heavy Ink Comics Retailer Applauds the Shooting of Gabrielle Giffords

On his blog, this winner further expounds on how it is "morally legitimate to kill pro-regulation senators and pro-regulation judges, if it can be done without harming innocents."  Oh, but it's all in the name of Constitutionalism, of the poor gays and prisoners oppressed by the government every day.

In my rejoinder, I refute th'ol' 'but you leftists want bush to die too :O!!' canard, while pointing out his lack of a principled and neutral schema for political murder.  I cannot believe I just typed that sentence.
But I bring up the example of Posner and Easterbrook mainly to pose a question to the OP?just how hostile to ?regulation? are you asking people to be? Moreso than the man who has advocated replacing government-regulated adoption with a free market in babies? Where do we set the ?you must be at least this libertarian not to get shot in the fucking face? bar?

Tengukami

« Reply #165 on: January 11, 2011, 05:48:52 AM »
It's also pretty amazing when rightists counter genuine concerns about far-right terrorism by pointing to groups like Earth First, who as far as I know set SUVs on fire at their very worst. There's a word for this rhetorical trick in Icelandic, "smj?rklippa", loosely meaning "to put butter in a cat's fur." You divert attention away from a problem by making people focus on less serious, often unrelated problems (the metaphor being that the cat is too busy trying to lick the butter out of its fur to bother you anymore).

And that's what really bothers me about this. The GOP has been reluctant to condemn these extremists, because they're their base. So instead of having them call for reasoned and rational discussion of the issues, or just condemning extremism, you have them going on the defensive when someone murders an obstetrician with some "well, what goes around comes around" bullshit, and jumping through hoops of logic to defend bringing loaded guns to political rallies. The party is lost to these idiots, and has been for a long time now. When Mike Steele feels compelled to apologize to Rush Limbaugh, something's very wrong with who's running the show there.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 05:46:37 PM by Amaterasu »

Quad City QBs

« Reply #166 on: January 11, 2011, 06:26:06 AM »
Can I also say that it's perverse to the level of self-parody that someone who openly advocates the murder of insufficiently anti-regulatory politicians should play the 'lol looks like liberals aren't so tolerant after all' card

« Reply #167 on: January 11, 2011, 09:46:30 AM »

Reverie

• International Nue month
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 12:12:54 PM by Gungdir »

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #169 on: January 11, 2011, 01:13:17 PM »
Heavy Ink Comics Retailer Applauds the Shooting of Gabrielle Giffords

On his blog, this winner further expounds on how it is "morally legitimate to kill pro-regulation senators and pro-regulation judges, if it can be done without harming innocents."
WELL I think I can stop reading here.

Also Ama just taught me the best thing I'm going to learn today.

JT

« Reply #170 on: January 11, 2011, 04:12:49 PM »
When Mike Steele feels compelled to apologize to Rush Limbaugh, something's very wrong with who's running the show there.

I totally hear you, although Steele is pretty laughable in his own right.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #172 on: January 11, 2011, 05:47:23 PM »
It's old news but we only just heard about it now when telling Herasy to stop being a drunk :V.

Dragan was able to swim to the shore and told his friends he had twisted his ankle, telling them the water was not that soft.  The water is soft buddy, you just landed on a shark.

The ⑨th Zentillion

• The impeaches were delicious...
  • Now hungry for conviction!
    • Zentillion's Tumblr
Did you bring a light?
...No...

Smash the Fash; The far right belongs in the TRASH.

Tengukami

« Reply #175 on: January 11, 2011, 06:00:38 PM »
Wow. Someone literally jumped the shark.

The ⑨th Zentillion

• The impeaches were delicious...
  • Now hungry for conviction!
    • Zentillion's Tumblr
« Reply #176 on: January 11, 2011, 06:04:19 PM »

I was wondering if/when someone was going to make that pun. BV
Did you bring a light?
...No...

Smash the Fash; The far right belongs in the TRASH.

« Reply #177 on: January 11, 2011, 09:28:37 PM »

« Reply #178 on: January 11, 2011, 11:06:52 PM »
Oh god my sides dammit Ammy

E-Nazrin

• .... what're you looking at?
  • fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #179 on: January 12, 2011, 03:14:03 AM »
It's also pretty amazing when rightists counter genuine concerns about far-right terrorism by pointing to groups like Earth First, who as far as I know set SUVs on fire at their very worst. There's a word for this rhetorical trick in Icelandic, "smj?rklippa", loosely meaning "to put butter in a cat's fur." You divert attention away from a problem by making people focus on less serious, often unrelated problems (the metaphor being that the cat is too busy trying to lick the butter out of its fur to bother you anymore).

And that's what really bothers me about this. The GOP has been reluctant to condemn these extremists, because they're their base. So instead of having them call for reasoned and rational discussion of the issues, or just condemning extremism, you have them going on the defensive when someone murders an obstetrician with some "well, what goes around comes around" bullshit, and jumping through hoops of logic to defend bringing loaded guns to political rallies. The party is lost to these idiots, and has been for a long time now. When Mike Steele feels compelled to apologize to Rush Limbaugh, something's very wrong with who's running the show there.

This is a great post, both because it gives me a great idea to bother our cats with, and because I have some interesting reading related to it thanks to Purvis.
There was something here once. Wonder what...