Author Topic: So, what exactly is the Touhou Fan-dumb, touhoufags, etc.  (Read 61548 times)

Re: Fandumb
« Reply #150 on: July 28, 2010, 01:57:24 AM »
That would require everyone to acknowledge that each might themselves be the cancer that is killing Touhou. I'd raise my hand immediately because it's not SRS BSNS to me, but I don't see this mindset spreading to the whole fandumb.

Then again, if nothing Toehoe was SRS BSNS we'd be at peace anyway, So Yeah.

I find the touhou canon to sometimes be more ridiculous than the fandom.
Even when touhous fight they're barely ever serious. Idk seems like there's this happy factor coinciding with all the danger.

---------> TOUHOU ONLINE DATING SERVICE Find your man/woman that plays Lunatic in your area

Fund it.

Re: So, what exactly is the Touhou Fan-dumb, touhoufags, etc.
« Reply #151 on: July 28, 2010, 02:06:39 AM »
tawhaw is an anime based on the BAD APPLE! music video which was made of paper cutouts i herd it on CNN

« Reply #152 on: July 28, 2010, 02:12:33 AM »
tawhaw is an anime based on the BAD APPLE! music video which was made of paper cutouts i herd it on CNN

Is that the Bill o' Reilly news report?

"Touhou and how the Japanese are forwarding the gay agenda in America."

Alice★f

• That uncanny smile...
  • Kuroya Shinobu strikes again
    • TsundereWorks' Mo? Blog
« Reply #153 on: July 28, 2010, 02:56:49 AM »
Responding with Banamatic's words on Youtube:
Quote from: Bananamatic
and today on CNN, how to piss off 200,000 weeaboos in 1 minute and 7 seconds
Highest rated comment on that goddamn video. Congratulations.

--------> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeEIteQmpHE

DeviantArtPixivTsundere WorksYoutubeNEW! Liz Triangle's S4U
日本語勉強中 | Touhou Hard Modo Gamer

Firestorm29

• Lily White Mage
  • Spring Time is Healing Time~
« Reply #154 on: July 28, 2010, 05:21:21 AM »
Responding with Banamatic's words on Youtube:Highest rated comment on that goddamn video. Congratulations.

--------> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeEIteQmpHE
So, does this mean CNN counts as fandumb?

I can see the same thing happening no matter what fanbase it was. I mean, you have a "reputable" new sources telling the public screwed up info about a series and fanworls. It's much worse than was a troll could do.

Alice★f

• That uncanny smile...
« Reply #155 on: July 28, 2010, 05:36:02 AM »
So, does this mean CNN counts as fandumb?

I can see the same thing happening no matter what fanbase it was. I mean, you have a "reputable" new sources telling the public screwed up info about a series and fanworls. It's much worse than was a troll could do.
1. CNN doesn't even know what Touhou is. Obviously they don't count.

It was a mistake that any human being could do. CNN wasn't made for this. CNN is better at reporting news about politics than reporting Touhou. It was just a slow day. =/

People failing to recognize this and bitching about it nonstop counts as FANDUMB, though.

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #156 on: July 28, 2010, 06:37:46 AM »
surprisingly, it was at work here that I found out my colleague's little brother is a Touhoufag.

he likes it so much he visits 4chan and talk about it.

problem: he spews memes

now, I know it is wrong to hate people like that but sometimes, just sometimes I can't help but wanting to ask him to shut the fuck up noob.
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
« Reply #157 on: July 28, 2010, 07:03:05 AM »
he likes it so much he visits 4chan
Try to save the kid before it's too late, will ya?

« Reply #158 on: July 28, 2010, 12:54:15 PM »
Sure, idiots are annoying, but I still don't understand why so many people get butthurt about it.

I agree wholeheartedly. Ours is a shared confusion.

I have been in many fandoms previously in my life, and so far, while Touhou is perhaps not the least conflicted one, it is by far most enjoyable fandom I've ever experienced.

I honestly have nothing to seriously complain about; maybe I am just good at ignoring the things I don't like, but that's the truth.

I love Touhou, and I want my time in the fandom to be enjoyable. I try my best to contribute the best I can, and leave it at that; it's the only thing I can do. I'm sure most fans try to do the same, but everyone does it in their own way. In this case, "fandumb" is entirely objective.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #159 on: July 28, 2010, 09:28:59 PM »
CNN is better at reporting news about politics than reporting Touhou. It was just a slow day. =/

No sir, no sir they are not.

Well, maybe CNN International. Maybe.

« Reply #160 on: July 28, 2010, 10:21:27 PM »
Should have gotten Anderson Cooper on that scoop.   :V

Bananamatic

« Reply #161 on: July 28, 2010, 10:38:11 PM »
surprisingly, it was at work here that I found out my colleague's little brother is a Touhoufag.

he likes it so much he visits 4chan and talk about it.

problem: he spews memes

now, I know it is wrong to hate people like that but sometimes, just sometimes I can't help but wanting to ask him to shut the fuck up noob.
you have to grow up out of memespouting
3 years ago, I was also like that

Marin The Magus

• The magician of dimensional dreams
  • Energetic Satorin~ Shougorori~
« Reply #162 on: August 23, 2010, 04:09:22 AM »
Okay, it's 1 AM in the morning in my country, I could only read the first 2 pages. And then, of course, I gave up on reading the same thing over and over again...
What I think you are saying is that, because touhou fans say memes of touhou that are repeated uncountable times, you rage at them? Can't you all control your rage a little? Please, I thought the human kind was dumb before, now I know it is pathetic. Look at what we are arguing over! Okay, so some people say some memes, IGNORE IT. You can't? Your fault. People will keep writting these things. So, the ones who can't stand them, just ignore them.

We've all said them ONCE in our lives, haven't we?

And, anyway, what's so wrong with them? At first, they just made me laugh. And some of them still do. I admit I don't like having to go to the bottom of the page just because someone wanted to say "CHEN" with unlimited E's, but it's just A LITTLE THING OF LIFE AND NO ONE SHOULD BE PAYING ATTENTION. Get over it.
You don't like IOSYS? Don't listen.
You don't like nine jokes? Don't read.
You don't like that touhou has almost no male? IT'S ONE OF THE THINGS THAT MAKES TOUHOU SPECIAL.
And, something else, CIRNO WAS JUST A STAGE 2 BOSS. And from EoSD. If it wasn't because of fandom, would she be remembered so easily? I don't think that ZUN picked her randomly. And, look at that, a coincidence, that character that didn't appear for years suddenly appear in hisoutensoku and the great fairy wars! WOULD IT BE BECAUSE OF FANDOM? And, it's not like she standed out from anyone else in the game, he could have picked Rumia, but he didn't. He picked Cirno.

« Reply #163 on: August 23, 2010, 04:27:44 AM »
Stuff

I personally have to agree entirely with you. It's not that big of a deal, and the fandom produces much more good things than bad.

I must say, though, it does get tiring whenever I see the apparently obligatory pad joke on almost literally anything related to Sakuya. But still, not a big deal.
All lies and all sin, all dreams and all majesty, Everything rots in this ruined hell

[The Perfect, Elegant Maid] [Pathos of the Hated People] [Music, Projects, and Art]

Forte Blackadder

• 雲龍九現
  • Thi?n Giả L?ng Y?u
    • FaceBook
« Reply #164 on: August 23, 2010, 05:01:03 AM »
Well IMO fag is another word for "fan", nothing serious.
We have Touhoufags, Narutards, Nanohafags, Haruhibullsists,... and so on, the insulting part was washed away before the meme even started.

Alice★f

• That uncanny smile...
« Reply #165 on: August 23, 2010, 05:18:55 AM »
Okay, it's 1 AM in the morning in my country, I could only read the first 2 pages. And then, of course, I gave up on reading the same thing over and over again...
What I think you are saying is that, because touhou fans say memes of touhou that are repeated uncountable times, you rage at them? Can't you all control your rage a little? Please, I thought the human kind was dumb before, now I know it is pathetic. Look at what we are arguing over! Okay, so some people say some memes, IGNORE IT. You can't? Your fault. People will keep writting these things. So, the ones who can't stand them, just ignore them.

We've all said them ONCE in our lives, haven't we?

And, anyway, what's so wrong with them? At first, they just made me laugh. And some of them still do. I admit I don't like having to go to the bottom of the page just because someone wanted to say "CHEN" with unlimited E's, but it's just A LITTLE THING OF LIFE AND NO ONE SHOULD BE PAYING ATTENTION. Get over it.
You don't like IOSYS? Don't listen.
You don't like nine jokes? Don't read.
You don't like that touhou has almost no male? IT'S ONE OF THE THINGS THAT MAKES TOUHOU SPECIAL.
And, something else, CIRNO WAS JUST A STAGE 2 BOSS. And from EoSD. If it wasn't because of fandom, would she be remembered so easily? I don't think that ZUN picked her randomly. And, look at that, a coincidence, that character that didn't appear for years suddenly appear in hisoutensoku and the great fairy wars! WOULD IT BE BECAUSE OF FANDOM? And, it's not like she standed out from anyone else in the game, he could have picked Rumia, but he didn't. He picked Cirno.
Good, so you have intelligence and you show signs of understanding cause and effect from part of the fanbase and from part of Zun.

For me, memes are best described as harmless. It really doesn't do much. =/

Besides, you can't do much about any particular aspect of the Touhou fandom you don't like. The most you can do is change how you react to it. It doesn't sound like much, but it really makes a difference. It opens your eyes to other parts in the fandom that are more important, and overall, you enjoy Touhou more.

All this talk about memes is bullshit.

In short, I agree with everything you have said.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #166 on: August 23, 2010, 05:40:56 AM »
Well IMO fag is another word for "fan", nothing serious.
We have Touhoufags, Narutards, Nanohafags, Haruhibullsists,... and so on, the insulting part was washed away before the meme even started.

Narutard is most definitely an insult. Just some narutards don't realize it.

Drake

« Reply #167 on: August 23, 2010, 05:43:20 AM »
You are an alcohol connoisseur. You really enjoy alcohol, are very knowledgeable about the subject and you're well-versed in how you enjoy it. Of course you drink regularly, and you have many friends that share your interest. You do have people that share your interests but delve into alcohol in a different manner, and do not quite agree with many of your opinions. You bicker, but it yields nothing and at the end of the day you just separate from each other and leave each other alone. You do run into them every so often, and the meetings can result in a good and bad outcome all the same.
You also have many various acquaintances, relatives, friends of friends that binge drink. Their favorite booze is Jagerbomb, they drink purely to get totally wasted and have "no respect" for how alcohol "should be treated", among other such terribleness. They talk to you regularly and flaunt themselves at you, and everywhere you look there are more of them. You feel ashamed to even know them, and many people agree with you.
However, many argue that "how alcohol should be treated" isn't decided by the people who know the most about the subject, i.e. you. You can tell them precisely why certain things are inexcusable, but it changes nothing. You kind of sound like an elitist to other people, but it's your respect for the drink that brings you to this level, not a holier-than-thou attitude (which you may or may not possess). Many also argue that they should just be ignored, but pretty much anyone aside from them can tell it's simply impossible to let them roam around spewing around such crappery. Of course the arguments result in nothing, but you have to get out there and attempt to put them in their place anyways.

I might be able to go further with this but it's hard to find specific things.

I like how you tell people to ignore these kinds of things and throw a comment like this out there yourself.

No, the thread is not directed towards raging at people who spout memes 24/7. Memes can be nice. Meme-spouting itself is just an annoyance. Of course some topics were repeated, but it isn't like this thread was designed for anything but demonstrating what people think of the fandom. I know it's 1AM, but the way you post all that really makes you sound like an egotistic prude. You're ignoring every argument in the entire thread and summing up everything discussed as something that can be easily handwaved away. I don't see how you can just waltz in, declare your almighty answer to everything (nothing) and just leave it at that, as if you actually contributed to any discussion at all. Using phrases such as "pathetic", "I thought the human kind was dumb before" and "your fault" without addressing a single thing in particular, it exudes a giant wave of self-righteousness and I don't particularly like it.

You could have taken your own advice and ignored this entire thread. Is there a reason for that, or did you just want to proclaim yourself as right? Is there any difference between you posting now, and us posting about the fandom?
I could have very well taken your advice and ignored you as well, but I would rather not.

(I do however agree with your comment on Cirno.)

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Ayuka

• Pursuer of cute things
  • Not obsessive in the slightest.
    • Neko Arrange
« Reply #168 on: August 23, 2010, 05:59:23 AM »
Really? I thought we were done with this.

Alright, I'll say it again, but I think the biggest problem is simply people assuming that there is a 'right way' to enjoy what you enjoy. Sure, people doing things that annoy you and that you consider base or inappropriate is terrible, but in the end it's their right and who are you to tell them that they can't? You don't have to like them, you don't have to agree with them, but you also don't have to rage at them or defame them. Sure they may seep into what you like as well and may express that they enjoy doing what they do in that inappropriate or annoying way, but by raging at them all your doing is breeding rage. You will not change their mind. They will not change your mind. The only way to break this cycle is to agree to disagree and not be angered when you see someone enjoying themselves simply because you see it as the wrong way of doing it.

That being said, as you pointed out Mary the Magician, after two pages you felt like you were reading the same thing over and over and to be perfectly honest you have only posted more of what has been posted here already. We can rage about who's right, who's wrong, who should ignore who and who has it coming ad nauseum or we can all agree that we all like Touhou, it's a pretty neat game, and all MotK is a pretty neat community.

Drake

« Reply #169 on: August 23, 2010, 06:51:53 AM »
Yeah, I thought so too. Resurrecting a cautious debate thread with nothing fulfilling to say probably wasn't a great idea. Then again, neither is continuing it.

I respect your opinion in that it's pretty much neutral through-and-through. However, even if it's people's rights to do whatever they do, that doesn't deter people from actively disagreeing with them, and it doesn't magically block people against criticism and down-putting comments. It's also someone's right to fight against what they find is 'wrong' and it's a double standard to say that people can like whatever they like and be left totally alone without anyone else disagreeing. Who is anyone to tell anyone else to not tell someone else they can't do something (Ha ha, old chap!)? People are people. Whether arguing begets more rage is a different matter. People's minds can be changed, it's how we learn. Without other people telling us what to/not to do, we don't get any better. It's less of a "right way to enjoy something" as "how you enjoy something doesn't really affect me much but it pisses me off anyways".

You eat a meal daintily. I eat a meal by slamming my face into my food and shoveling into my mouth with my hands. You get angry. Same thing? Not quite, but close.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #170 on: August 23, 2010, 10:37:08 AM »
I know it's 1AM, but the way you post all that really makes you sound like an egotistic prude. You're ignoring every argument in the entire thread and summing up everything discussed as something that can be easily handwaved away. I don't see how you can just waltz in, declare your almighty answer to everything (nothing) and just leave it at that, as if you actually contributed to any discussion at all. Using phrases such as "pathetic", "I thought the human kind was dumb before" and "your fault" without addressing a single thing in particular, it exudes a giant wave of self-righteousness and I don't particularly like it.

You could have taken your own advice and ignored this entire thread. Is there a reason for that, or did you just want to proclaim yourself as right? Is there any difference between you posting now, and us posting about the fandom?
I could have very well taken your advice and ignored you as well, but I would rather not.

(I do however agree with your comment on Cirno.)

Was this really necessary? Really? Mary's new here, she read up a bit on this thread, and expressed an opinion - just like everyone else in this thread has done. She did not deserve the type of vitriol you threw at her with this statement, and you'd do well to apologize to her. I seriously have no idea how you even arrive at half the shit you've said about her here.

YOU could have stopped writing after your alcohol analogy. YOU were the one who decided to go on and blast Mary for ... I still don't understand why. For bumping the thread? For having an opinion? Who knows. Whatever your reasons, you were totally out of line here and not very coherent.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Firestorm29

• Lily White Mage
  • Spring Time is Healing Time~
« Reply #171 on: August 23, 2010, 11:42:23 AM »
Ya know, I have to agree with the whole debate about having a "right way" of doing things, but if I may, what about those times when it gets really disruptive?

Kinda like that abusive PAD spam in a chat, I can understand some people can like that, but when it gets to the point that you can't get around it...

Tengukami

« Reply #172 on: August 23, 2010, 11:54:38 AM »
Ya know, I have to agree with the whole debate about having a "right way" of doing things, but if I may, what about those times when it gets really disruptive?

Kinda like that abusive PAD spam in a chat, I can understand some people can like that, but when it gets to the point that you can't get around it...

Making people drink from a firehose is always a bad idea, no matter the content. If you keep hammering on one idea, one concept, one website, or even, yes, one meme, over and over again, people are bound to get tired of it. Especially from the same person. I don't think that's necessarily a judgement call on Touhou fandom itself, but on spamming the hell out of people in general.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #173 on: August 23, 2010, 12:18:06 PM »
Was this really necessary? Really? Mary's new here, she read up a bit on this thread, and expressed an opinion - just like everyone else in this thread has done. She did not deserve the type of vitriol you threw at her with this statement, and you'd do well to apologize to her. I seriously have no idea how you even arrive at half the shit you've said about her here.

YOU could have stopped writing after your alcohol analogy. YOU were the one who decided to go on and blast Mary for ... I still don't understand why. For bumping the thread? For having an opinion? Who knows. Whatever your reasons, you were totally out of line here and not very coherent.

Vitriol? Are we reading the same words here? >>; Sorry, I don't quite follow.
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #174 on: August 23, 2010, 12:29:52 PM »
I don't agree on any of this cause almost a one month old thread got bumped for no reason. Repeating same words what has being said over a discussion that was suppose to end a month ago is not really necessary imo.

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #175 on: August 23, 2010, 12:40:03 PM »
<snip>
While I think that Drake's tone was quite amiss, I agree with him on several points. It is quite rude to bag together all posts in the thread and calling them "dumb" and "pathetic", especially after admitting that you did not read more than the first two pages.

Most importantly, it was a bump to an old thread that had already died, and your post was not really necessary anyways as you only brought forth argumemnts that had already be discussed sufficiently. You berated people for the inability to ignore stuff and let it die, yet you yourself revived a dead thread to complain about something. At the very least, this should show you how the people you called "dumb" and "pathetic" feel.

On the actual topic itself, I will tell you to read a post I made long ago on the discussion of "Fanon vs Canon (Alice)". I linked it earlier in the thread, but as you said yourself, you didn't get that far.  :derp:
>>Click Here<<

And now, as everything should be clarified, I am looking forward for this thread to die.

Again.
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Tengukami

« Reply #176 on: August 23, 2010, 01:02:05 PM »
Vitriol? Are we reading the same words here? >>;

I don't know, are we?

I know it's 1AM, but the way you post all that really makes you sound like an egotistic prude. ... I don't see how you can just waltz in, declare your almighty answer to everything (nothing) and just leave it at that, as if you actually contributed to any discussion at all. ... it exudes a giant wave of self-righteousness and I don't particularly like it.

If it's totally cool to talk like this to a new person who's expressed an opinion no "better" or "worse" than anyone else in this thread, then that's news to me.

The thread bump was probably unnecessary, but Mary was making an effort here to join in this discussion in good faith. I don't feel she deserved being called "an egotistical prude" for having the opinion she did which, as others have pointed out, wasn't exactly anything new to this thread.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 01:04:49 PM by Tengukami »

Alice Fact

• Kingdom Hearts
  • let's play shintopuncher
« Reply #177 on: August 23, 2010, 01:14:49 PM »
oh would you just shut up the user's been here for weeks

I'm locking this, I really don't think I need to explain why, maybe someone else wants it unlocked but I sure don't
Regarding score threads: For the time being, I'm not going to be online much; I would suggest that you simply do as you normally do, because I will come back and I will want those threads when I do.

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #178 on: August 23, 2010, 01:17:31 PM »
I don't know, are we?

If it's totally cool to talk like this to a new person who's expressed an opinion no "better" or "worse" than anyone else in this thread, then that's news to me.

The thread bump was probably unnecessary, but Mary was making an effort here to join in this discussion in good faith. I don't feel she deserved being called "an egotistical prude" for having the opinion she did which, as others have pointed out, wasn't exactly anything new to this thread.

"Can't you all control your rage a little? Please, I thought the human kind was dumb before, now I know it is pathetic. Look at what we are arguing over! Okay, so some people say some memes, IGNORE IT. You can't? Your fault."

I realize we all have our own definition of what is and isn't in good faith, but it blows my mind that you gloss over what Mary says yet seem to have a problem with what Drake says. And you keep emphasizing 'new person' but that really should be irrelevant here. I don't care if you've been here one week or one hundred weeks, you should be held to the same standards as everyone else.

Either way, locking thread. I'm not trying to hush things up (well I AM, but not in the "no more talky I AM THE LAW" way), but this can be taken to PM.

NO YOU DON'T LGB-NINJA I call dibs on the lock >:<
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

Alice Fact

• Kingdom Hearts
  • let's play shintopuncher
« Reply #179 on: August 23, 2010, 01:22:40 PM »
am fastaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

(for the record, "egotistical prude" sounds more silly than anything)
Regarding score threads: For the time being, I'm not going to be online much; I would suggest that you simply do as you normally do, because I will come back and I will want those threads when I do.