Author Topic: Japanese Language Pack: doesn't work...  (Read 11845 times)

Japanese Language Pack: doesn't work...
« on: October 22, 2009, 11:28:09 PM »
So I figured I was tired of looking at small squares instead of Japanese characters and decided I would format my computer.  A few hours later I am back on windows and I have done everything I can figure to get the little dumb squares to show up as Japanese characters but I am still just seeing squares.  Does anyone here have any clue what may be causing this issue?  Part of the main reason for the format was explicitly to have East Asian language support work properly...

Drake

Re: Japanese Language Pack: doesn't work...
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 11:48:12 PM »
Maybe the problem is a corruption in the install disc.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ve0ojgdvnji
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?m0trgte5gm2
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?mtmbgzomn2t

Uninstall asian languages, then try using the files from this. Don't actually replace your i386 folder, though.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 02:28:10 AM »
With those three files unrared it still asked me for the Win XP disc, even after directing it to the folder of which I extracted the files too.

I even used a different windows XP disc.  A friend of mine's disc which is in practically mint condition.  I still only see squares.

I figured I had some sort of software error before that was preventing this but the fact I actually FORMATTED my computer and went with a fresh install of windows to get East Asian language support and it STILL refuses to work properly is pretty depressing. :/

Thank you for trying though, Drake.  'preciate it.

*edit*

Argh!  The damndest thing is that I can add and apply chinese character sets or korean, but not Japanese at all.  I can't use AppLocale because I can't get Japanese support and I can't install Japanese properly for WHATEVER reason.  It's very frustrating and there is almost no help for the situation I am having online at all.  Wargh!

And Microsoft is INFURIATING.  If I want technical support from THEM I have to pay through the nose (Minimum of 49.99 per hour it seems).  Of course, their automated help is a load of complete BS.  I typed in the error I am getting and it links me to "These which may be what you're looking for" Including such similar topics as "Lost product keys" or other inane crap.  Gah!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 05:59:49 AM by Tinari »

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 02:05:03 AM »
I even used a different windows XP disc.  A friend of mine's disc which is in practically mint condition.  I still only see squares.

Very odd.  You sure you don't have a hardware problem, or something funky with Windows?  Installing East Asian Text Support completes successfully, but the Japanese is still shown as blocks, ne?

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 06:01:45 AM »
Very odd.  You sure you don't have a hardware problem, or something funky with Windows?  Installing East Asian Text Support completes successfully, but the Japanese is still shown as blocks, ne?

You're absolutely right and honestly as far as I am concerned it may very well be a hardware issue since it's the same thing BEFORE formatting my system and AFTER formatting my system though logic tells me that's impossible.

What you described is pretty much correct.

Alice Fact

• Kingdom Hearts
  • let's play shintopuncher
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 05:24:48 PM »
With those three files unrared it still asked me for the Win XP disc, even after directing it to the folder of which I extracted the files too.
it'll ask you where the files are about 3 or 4 times, just keep pointing it to that folder
Regarding score threads: For the time being, I'm not going to be online much; I would suggest that you simply do as you normally do, because I will come back and I will want those threads when I do.

Drake

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 05:47:11 PM »
Yeah there's more than one file it uses. It only asks you multiple times when you don't have your CD.

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2009, 09:35:31 PM »
I cannot install it with the files downloaded.  It keeps asking for a file, a specific file and ONLY that file regardless of how many times I keep hitting OK.  It does this until I hit cancel and then fails installing.  It doesn't ask for any different files regardless.

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 12:10:54 AM »
I am happy to report that I got this to work.  I finally broke down and went and downloaded individually every file it asked for one at a time until it worked.  I downloaded the following files from any site I could:

kbd103.dll
kbd101c.dll
kbd101b.dll
kbdkor.dll
kbdjpn.dll

I then proceeded to use your files you shared with me Drake and when it "could not find file X" I used another east asian language "installer" I found as well.  Between the two of those and manually downloading random DLLS (because that's safe for your computer...) I managed to get it.

Thank you once more for your help.

Touhou Fan

• SNOWBALLED
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 12:15:22 AM »
I use something called AppLocale for running games with Japanese text. I practically broke down laughing at the thought of someone completely reformatting their computer just to play a Japanese game. :V
The feeling was so good that I ejaculated immediately within 5 seconds of starting the rape starting.

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 12:16:25 AM »
I use something called AppLocale for running games with Japanese text.

... which doesn't work when Japanese locale won't install for AppLocale to reference in the first place.

Drake

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2009, 12:17:03 AM »
You need to install asian languages to even use AppLocale, which is what he was doing, silly.

also hooray

Touhou Fan

• SNOWBALLED
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2009, 12:23:17 AM »
... which doesn't work when Japanese locale won't install for AppLocale to reference in the first place.

I didn't have to install a Windows Language Pack (something that comes on a disk sold separate from the Windows disk) for Japanese to get it to work. I just used my Windows disk to install East Asian language support (not a "language pack") straight from my Win XP disk. No reinstall of Windows was needed. The language support is a feature that can install onto an existing Windows installation, even if it wasn't enabled at the time of the installation of Windows. Reinstalling Windows is not a good idea. Think of all the files and games and software that you lost from formatting the drive.
The feeling was so good that I ejaculated immediately within 5 seconds of starting the rape starting.

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2009, 12:32:17 AM »
Considering I am on a network with a gigabit ethernet and capable computers, the 28.7GB of backups I had only took approximately 50 minutes to backup and copy back hen I was done formatting.

And believe me, if it the obvious and most easy solution to the problem (what you're suggesting here) actually worked, I wouldn't have went through all of this trouble.  However, clicking on the check for "East Asian Language Support" in the Regional settings did NOT work.

Setting up a Japanese character IME would NOT work.

Downloading an independent archive of the i386 files for East Asian Language support did NOT work.

NO ONE I have EVER asked (Forums, chat rooms via IRC, Windows "tech support") has been able to fix or solve this issue.  So please do not be condescending in your comments about it, Mr. Touhou Fan.

Considering I am OCD and format my computer every 9-12 months anyway, it wasn't exactly a large step for me to format earlier than usual.

Touhou Fan

• SNOWBALLED
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2009, 12:41:52 AM »
However, clicking on the check for "East Asian Language Support" in the Regional settings did NOT work.

Worked for me. That's how I use Applocale whenever I play IaMP or any other Japanese game that requires it (doesn't use Unicode text). You must be "doin' it wrong". Or else your computer had some "fail" in it.

mechasan

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2010, 02:46:54 PM »
hi everyone,

i appologise if resurrecting this topic offends anyone but it seemed a better idea than starting from tabula rasa.

tinari, could you please let me and any other troubled japanese pack installers know what 'other installer' you used.. i DL'd drakes i386 UL (thanks Drake!) but needed files are not there (such as kbdjpn etc, according to the windows file search of the directory).

i'm currently looking for the kbdjpn.dll file online and the other 4 you listed Tinary.. but i have no idea what other installer you used.

i hope you can help.

thanks all!