Author Topic: Final Fantasy V Four Job Fiesta 2019 FROM OUTTA NOWHERE edition  (Read 18528 times)

Smashy

• :V tank
  • ᕦ(? Д?)ᕤ
(this may or may not have been 95% lifted from two-year-ago's thread, including this line itself)

(try here for last year)

FOUR JOB FIESTA TIME

Q: What is this?
A: A month-and-a-half long charity marathon benefiting Child's Play.  Play Final Fantasy V, on whatever platform you want (SNES, PS1, GBA, phone, Steam, emulator) with the jobs given to you by the custom RNG bot and benevolent overlord, Gilgabot!

Q: When does it start?
The fiesta begins on on June  17th or the completion of ~*~the run~*~ (which is currently running as of when this topic was made  :getdown: )(details on the main site)
Registration is LIVE!
It runs through the end of August, so there's plenty of time and no rush (except for #BERSERKERRISK).  You can even register once the fiesta has begun, register for another run after you finish so no worries if you check this topic out later.

Q: What do I need to sign up?
A: A twitter account.  That's it.  You can totally make a throwaway twitter account for this; just make sure you will be able to remember the password.  It's used to tweet at Gilgabot for commands, such as signing up, revealing jobs, and reporting victories.  If you have a private account, you'll need to either unlock it when you send the command tweets or send a message to get added to Gilgabot's friend list (I can give instructions if needed)
Also too you can log-in on the website based on your Twitter account and see all your runs from years gone by!

Q: How does the four job thing work?
A: This depends on the ruleset you choose.  You can also read them all on the website
In Standard, once you get your first crystal and reveal your first job, your entire party will be locked into that job.  As you get the new jobs, you need to have one representative of each available job at all times (excluding when you have insufficient party members to do so, in those cases just make sure everyone has a different job).  You can swap jobs as often as you want within that limitation, and mix and match the abilities you learn freely.  This is what you will sign up for by default.
In Natural Only, each character is locked to Freelancer until you get their respective crystal - at which point the character is locked forever into whatever job you got for that crystal.  No mixing and matching jobs.  This is the tougher one by a significant margin! 
Upgrade is sort of a mix between the two modes.  Your entire party will start out all the same job just as a standard run.  However, once the next set of jobs is available you can choose when to ~upgrade~ your full team to your next assigned job. You can keep using any skills you learned previously and equip them on your new jobs, so have fun grinding  and hope Gilgabot has mercy on you for your endgame job  :V
Fifth Job will overwrite your prior Earth Crystal roll with a new job (following whatever run type you are on) when Krile joins your team.  You can't use any skills from your prior final roll, so a sort of do-over but only for the 4th job.

Q: Which run choice do I pick?
A: There's several sets of runs that affect what classes you can obtain:
Regular is the original mode, you will receive one random Wind, Water, Fire, and Earth job at each crystal.  This is what I'd recommend for a first timer.
Random will open up additional jobs for each crystal - any job that you haven't obtained yet that is also up for grabs.  For instance, the Water crystal may also unlock a new Wind job instead, and the Earth could hand you any job in the game.  You're more likely to receive jobs from the first crystals as a result, and less likely to see an Earth crystal job.
Chaos Mode is similar to Random, except that any job is up for grabs for each crystal.  This means you have a pretty decent chance of not getting a job from the Wind crystal and needing to No Job Siesta a bit longer.  This mode also enables the possibility of rolling the same job for multiple crystals!
Popular Mode is similar to Chaos Mode, but it's weighted towards jobs that were voted for on Twitter last year which is skewed towards mages IIRC.  Chaos mode for people who are afraid of getting 3 Geomancers and a Dragoon, basically.
Pure Chaos Mode is if you want Chaos but don't want dupes.  As a bonus Mime and Freelancer are also up for grabs!
Advance Mode adds the bonus dungeon jobs to the Earth crystal pool.
Team 750 and Team No 750 is a modifier that divides the classes in half in the general theme of Magic vs Physical (or close enough to allow an even divide) named after the cost of an elemental rod, as using/breaking one in battle to cast a powerful spell is a common tactic for mages.  The breakdowns are:
  • Team 750:  Wind - White Mage/Black Mage/Blue Mage       Water - Time Mage/Summoner/Red Mage     Fire -  Geomancer/Bard    Earth -  Chemist/Dancer
  • Team No 750: Wind - Thief/Monk/Knight     Water - Mystic Knight/Berserker     Fire - Ninja/Beastmaster/Ranger     Earth - Dragoon/Samurai
Classic will assign you one of the six original FF1 classes at each job, and can assign you multiples of the same job.  This is automatically under Natural Only rules, as above.  Could be potentially hellish (four white mages is a legit risk)
Forbidden causes you to lose a job to THE VOID upon entering the final dungeon.
Winner Mode... as of right now, it is a mystery.

Q: Berserker Risk?
A: Based on the amount of donations received before preregistration ends vs the number of players who signed up for this, those players will be guaranteed to receive at least one Berserker and maybe more depending on job mode!  You can only sign up for Berserker Risk before the Fiesta begins so choose wisely.  They're quite a challenging class to work with due to really being entirely out of your control, but that doesn't mean they're bad.  Just brace yourself!

To clarify, adding #BERSERKKERRISK to a Regular run will lock you into getting a 'zerker for your Water crystal job and that's it (they will always hit the bare minimum of donations)  Adding it to a Random run opens up the possibility of your Fire and/or Earth crystal jobs getting overridden by THE RISK.  And Chaos Mode?  Hope you're ready for the chance of FOUR BERSERKERS  :o 
In my opinion/experience, having just one isn't much of a liability outside of a few battles and for some teams it'd be a great source of damage throughout the game - let me tell you about the year I had Team Tickle Kitten Berserker Babysitters Club.  If you really want a risk, make sure to sign up for Chaos or Random!

Q: I don't know Final Fantasy V that well...
A: What a great time to come play the best one!  Our buddy Garlyle is some sort of FF5 Wizard and wrote a handbook (it's written using SNES terms, but a number of us in here can translate so don't be hesitate to ask for clarification!) specifically oriented towards the FJF that covers more or less everything you'd ever want to know to make the most of the game's mechanics, the classes you've drawn, to help you figure out boss strategies, etc.  Also, MotK has several veterans of this challenge, and we'll always be available to offer a helping hand if you stumble or just run face first into a brick wall.
And yes, this is totally a great excuse to play FFV for the first time!

FOR NEW PLAYERS: I recommend doing a Normal run for your first playthrough.  Even the "worst" combo you can get still has some tricks up your sleeve.

Q: Is there any way I can watch someone miss on Byblos 6 times in a row and laugh at her misfortune?
A: A few of us will be streaming our runs!  Come check us out, subscribe to keep on top of stream times and post if you got a link I missed!

Garlyle
triangles
Arashi (maybe??)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 03:46:27 PM by Smashy »

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
Re: Final Fantasy V Four Job Fiesta 2019 FROM OUTTA NOWHERE edition
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 03:27:44 PM »
2018 thread here in case any of you all want or need it (the OP link is to the 2017 thread)
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Smashy

• :V tank
  • ᕦ(? Д?)ᕤ
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 03:47:47 PM »
whups, too busy going "wait there's no thread and The Run is already happening", fixed now.

Doing WINNER RISK to start, going to see if I can actually get two runs in this year.

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 12:24:06 AM »
oh hey maybe I'll actually finish this year since I'm in a new job that shouldn't be giving me crazy hours all summer  :V

As for my run type....

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 12:55:35 AM »
Oh boy, year 6 go!

For some more reference, here's Enkibot, the quickie FF5 FJF run buddy if anyone could use it.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Monarda

• Tactician that has a soft spot for cuteness.
  • Art by Amibazh
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2019, 11:12:44 AM »
Well, been a long while, but i can't miss this time.

>Blue Mage

Ho boi

(Yeah maybe i should have thrown more something into the mix as well, but i just didn't feel confident enough.)

The ⑨th Zentillion

• The impeaches were delicious...
  • Now hungry for conviction!
    • Zentillion's Tumblr
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2019, 05:50:35 AM »
[attach=1]

A very interesting first run for this year: This particular setup meant I was a freelancer up til Fire.

Highlights so far:

- Breaking one ice rod in the Liquid Flame fight and then trying to mow it down with physicals ended in a wipe. Used two the next time around.
- Getting to the Ancient Library with all but Faris' (14) levels at 15. She eventually leveled up, ending in a wipe to a Page 64. Ran more the second time to prevent.

Did you bring a light?
...No...

Smash the Fash; The far right belongs in the TRASH.

Monarda

• Art by Amibazh
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2019, 12:03:22 PM »
So far the run is going reasonably well i suppose, had some mishaps, but could be a lot worse.

Some of my own highlights would be:

-A Double Elixir drop on Ship Graveyard.
-Wiping 4 times at Byblos before remembering he was not heavy and i could just Death Claw.
-Getting a first try Death Scythe.

Reddyne

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2019, 10:09:32 PM »
I had an 11% chance to roll all repeats and it happened! Knight, zerker, ninja, and samurai. Not as much synergy I was hoping for from Team No750 but eh. I am reminded how simple these classes make the game. Tear through everything! No time to heal! It's a bit dry but it'll be fun to test this team's limit the further into the game I go.
Some of my own highlights would be:

-A Double Elixir drop on Ship Graveyard.
-Wiping 4 times at Byblos before remembering he was not heavy and i could just Death Claw.
-Getting a first try Death Scythe.
Those are some pretty legit highlights, too. Non-heavy shenanigans at Byblos has gotten me over that hump a number of times in the past.

The ⑨th Zentillion

• Zentillion's Tumblr
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2019, 10:35:09 AM »
Earth netted me White mage. I love the healing it grants!

...Sure gonna miss it after Moore happens. Red Mage or Chemist are still possibilities after, of course but chances are I'll probably get another non-750 to join samurai lol.

Update edit: ...or Blue Mage. I have this in the bag.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 05:41:53 AM by The ⑨th Zentillion »
Did you bring a light?
...No...

triangles

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2019, 11:11:57 AM »
Dragoon / Zerk / Dancer / Ranger

ALL FITE ALL NITE is up to the pyramid and boy howdy am I glad #risk only saddled me with the one zerker because Dragoon/ BER/ZER/KER would have been probably one of the worst teams.

Monarda

• Art by Amibazh
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2019, 04:26:48 PM »
I vanished for a while but here i am.

Anyways, i finally unlocked me Earthy Jobby, i wonder what sort of job i wi-

...oh, well i heard about this job, i wonder how it is like ?

.........oh........

Well hot diggity dang.

The ⑨th Zentillion

• Zentillion's Tumblr
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2019, 08:20:20 AM »
GG, Mon, because that is one potent party to have a Chemist in, even with only one mage.
Did you bring a light?
...No...

Reddyne

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2019, 01:15:57 AM »

GG already. My party was a physical powerhouse with little in the way of tricks beyond some extra AoE damage. It led to a lot of skipping over old standbys. No pianos, no blue magic spells, no monster catching. Nope, just weapons and money and call it a day. I powered my way through everything but the final few areas, and even then it took some real trouble to kick me out of holding down the fast-forward button. Oh well. Lesson learned. 5/7 still a grand time. All of the classes I had were great, but it was the money spam at the end that won the day. Ending is super depressing with Bartz as the only survivor by the way.

Unfortunately, Nintendo's releasing all the cool JRPG stuff in the second half of the year, so I dunno if I really care to do a round 2. Still great to always come back to this though.

The ⑨th Zentillion

• Zentillion's Tumblr
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2019, 12:50:33 PM »
^Ouch. Well, good work, regardless! What were the other three classes?

Meanwhile:

Pretty dang easy. I almost wiped to a bad Grand Cross roll, but otherwise my party was pretty much kitted to tear through NED with little hassle.

This party should be able to take down Shinryu, I've got the Wonder Rod set on Berserk and got Coral Rings mostly through drops, so it'll all be about Masamune hasting, Golem, and Mighty Guard once I go back through the Rift to the chest.

Omega, on the other hand, while plausible, is going to take a little bit of grinding and setup finaglery. Also will need to grab Bahamut, who I skipped. I grabbed Phoenix for certain tower enemy drops/steals, and did Istory Falls for the free Aegis Shield but skipped fighting Leviathan because w/o Chemist there's no point.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 12:52:08 PM by The ⑨th Zentillion »
Did you bring a light?
...No...

Reddyne

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2019, 03:37:10 PM »
^Ouch. Well, good work, regardless! What were the other three classes?
Samurai, ninja, knight, and zerker. A messy first attempt with no real healing, just gunning it to the end to see if I needed to change anything up. Definitely could have gone better but eh the NED kill was what it was all about anyhow.

triangles

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2019, 03:23:32 PM »

Well that was a ride.  Had to get to the high 30s to have enough HP for one controllable character survive Almagest.  Faris was an item bot trying to keep everyone alive as Krile just zerkercutied her way plink plink plink.

MVP goes to !Equip Ribbons because at least I didn't have to worry about Grand Cross for anyone (other than Lenna sry you needed Rapidfire pew pews)

Next year I'm doing 750 I wanna have some magic after this FITE FITE ALL NITE fest.