Author Topic: NieR:Automata - Gameplay, discussion, help  (Read 20109 times)

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
NieR:Automata - Gameplay, discussion, help
« on: October 01, 2017, 04:47:13 PM »
I am not familiar with the games before NieR:Automata nor their combined plots. I know I got educated on IRC by several people. However, I feel too dumb to say something sensible about the plot. What I can say is that NieR:Automata captured my heart (and mind) fully. It has been seriously a long time ago I've played a game which I fully enjoyed and try to beat until the very last quest or completion %.

Genre: Action RPG
Series: Drakengard
Platforms: Microsoft Windows (Steam store) & Playstation 4
Mode: Single Player

About the game
In the year 11945 AD alien invaders attack planet earth with their forces. They create fierce machines, programmed to do one thing: defeat the enemy. Humans have no choice and are forced to abandon their planet by fleeing to the moon. From there they create highly intelligent and capable battle androids to counter the alien invader's machine forces. A large human-made station near the moon, called "The Bunker" is used to launch missions. The war further escalates, causing the planet to become a dangerous place to live. The humans, desperate to claim back their planet, do not intend to give up at all. With the android forces they created, they fight and fight. All for the Glory of Mankind.

You take the role as one of the female battle androids, codenamed YoRHa No. 2 Model B (or simply 2B). Along with your supportive male sidekick, YoRHa No. 9 Model S (simplified 9S), you set out on various missions to weaken the enemy forces and reclaim back what was once a beautiful planet. NieR:Automata takes you through a well thought out story line, where excitement, happiness, anger and sadness are mixed and emotions dance around like leaves in the wind.

Game play
One of the typical things for most Action RPGs is the hack and slash element and character leveling. While playing the story line, you encounter NPCs or enemies granting you experience and resources to further upgrade your combat abilities. At first, NieR:Automata might come over as overwhelming, especially the many menus and possibilities, but they are well written and explained. Gradually you will understand and learn all the details of the game and thus becoming more skilled.

The game knows four difficulties: Easy, Normal, Hard and Very Hard. The Easy mode has supportive features which makes the game quite newbie friendly, such as auto-evasion, assistance in weapon usage and so on. The difficulty can be tweaked while playing and if you're really uncomfortable with Action RPGs, then starting with Easy mode might not be a bad idea. Normal mode pretty much has the best balance for enjoying both the story and combat. If you're looking for slightly more challenge, you can opt in for Hard mode. The major difference between Hard and Normal is that "target locking" is unavailable and forces the player to manually target things. This can be a little challenging in the beginning if you're not used to the controls. Additionally enemies are slightly tougher and your character will suffer more damage than usual. Finally, for the true hardcore players there is a Very Hard mode. In this mode, practically any thing will instant kill you. No matter what hit you, or how it hit you: You die. So if you're a person who tosses their controller or abuses the keyboard/mouse, then consider sticking with Hard or lower. Otherwise, feel free to try out.

During game play, you will notice a small floating robot with arms near 2B and 9S. These are tactical support units called Pod and provide intelligence, advise, weapon fire and special abilities. Without spoiling too much, the relationship between an Android and its Pod is quite special and during the game you will enjoy this.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 09:07:33 PM by Helepolis »

Leon゠Helsing

• 0 - The Fool
  • Pave your own path
Re: NieR:Automata - Gameplay, discussion, help (spoilers should be marked)
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 04:52:54 PM »
I'll just drop this here then.
(For context, that's not a bug, that's when Emil has some rare items and is buying your items for x1.5 of the usual value.)

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 04:56:09 PM »
Help requested. My current progress is at 17/26 endings and 57/60 quests. Also lots of missing fish, weapons, skills and such, but those aren't my focus yet. My current focus is on completing all quests so I can worry about the remaining endings. My current progress: https://twitter.com/HelepolisH/status/914391727452147712

I am wondering if anybody has completed all quests. If yes, please read the following spoiler and answer me "Yea, you're on the right track" or "No, that/those have nothing to do".

Warning Warning Warning - Below contains major spoilers for pretty much "end game". Do not read if you're nowhere near the same quest progress
Spoiler:
The last three quests for me are marked for 9S for the last four chapters: Meat Box, Soul Box, God Box and The Tower. So it is certain I need to play as 9S. However, I have absolutely no idea about these three quests. Here is what I found so far:
- Guessing that one of those three quests is actually completing 4s, by finding all enemies for him.
- There is a sleeping resistance member near the crates area at City Ruins Centre. Roof top. The fat dude who was trapped in "Sorting Trouble 3 mission". He is sleeping near the crate. Could be a quest?
- If I enter the giant tower (God Box) and exit again, suddenly a Zombie Clown is standing outside. He isn't there at first. I did some fishing near him but nothing special happened.
- I found 2B's flight vessel near the Soul Box (which is at Flooded City Ruins. Though don't think this has anything to do with the quests.

The above are clear "leads" I found. But I also know that:
- There are those Apologising Machines blocking Elevators. I found all three of them, though I have no clue about these. Guessing they have nothing to do with the three quests.
- I am unfortunately spoiled by the fact that those giant stone Emil heads in the Desert is a battle I yet have to trigger. I've been trying to talk to Emil at different occasions, but nothing changes yet.
- I did complete Emil's Memories so I have access to his "home" deep underground

Finally some minor thoughts, unrelated to the quests (Guess):
- I've fully explored (I think) the factory. It was very dark and found the locked doors which 9S needs to hack (with 2B you pass these on the first play). Was unable to grab 1 chest which is being blocked by a broken staircase. Tried many things like double/jumping under through and even using Pod: Missile.
- I've explored the Copied City as 9S, the Adam fight location has endless machines. Just like Adam's fight location in Desert Housing Complex. Don't think anything interesting is here aside farming for items/money.

I am not in need for guides, Google or Wiki. I prefer the above to be verified with "true/false" or similar but without actually spoiling me.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 05:06:57 PM by Helepolis »

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 05:18:39 PM »
There's only 1 achievement in the game that matters and I will be disappointed if you don't get it.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 05:25:11 PM »
There's only 1 achievement in the game that matters and I will be disappointed if you don't get it.
Spoiler:
If you mean peeking up 2B's skirt. I already have that one.

Ionasal kkll Solciel

• Girl from beyond the 7th Dimension
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 01:35:43 AM »
Help requested. My current progress is at 17/26 endings and 57/60 quests. Also lots of missing fish, weapons, skills and such, but those aren't my focus yet. My current focus is on completing all quests so I can worry about the remaining endings. My current progress: https://twitter.com/HelepolisH/status/914391727452147712

I am wondering if anybody has completed all quests. If yes, please read the following spoiler and answer me "Yea, you're on the right track" or "No, that/those have nothing to do".

For quests:
- Yes.
- Yes.
- No.
- No.

Leads:
- No.
- Yes.
- Yes.

Thoughts:
- If that's the chest I'm thinking of, Yes.
- No.
Let's Play: BIT.TRIP FLUX | Let's Play: Malicious | Skyward Sword: Shieldless Final Boss | Skyward Sword: Boss Rush! | Ace Combat Infinity: Campaign in the X-02 Wyvern

Move eternally forward,
So that we may always be at your side.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
Re: NieR:Automata - Gameplay, discussion, help
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 07:45:55 AM »
Thanks for the help Solciel. Then I guess I am on the right track for 2 of the 3 missing quests. I'll be trying harder tonight.

Regarding one of the quests:
Spoiler:
I am guessing also that I will never be able to complete 4S' quest without encountering the giant Emil heads as they will technically count as an enemy. Boy, this game is sure hard

Ionasal kkll Solciel

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 02:30:00 AM »
Now, I know you said you don't want hints, but check out the Chapter Select when you have time. It'll let you know who you need to play as in order to get certain quests active, and when you can access them. I know I missed a couple of 2B only quests on my first run.
Let's Play: BIT.TRIP FLUX | Let's Play: Malicious | Skyward Sword: Shieldless Final Boss | Skyward Sword: Boss Rush! | Ace Combat Infinity: Campaign in the X-02 Wyvern

Move eternally forward,

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 11:46:58 AM »
That is exactly what I am doing. For example, I got to Chapter Select and if I select "Meat Box". It says I am missing one quest. Upon unfolding the paragraphs, I keep scrolling down until the quest counter for the characters shows 4/5. The first paragraph in that chapter shows 4/4 for 9S and then for the next one it shows 4/5. I assume this is the moment to play the chapter and seek out the quest, right?

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2017, 08:36:11 PM »
After struggling for for 3 weeks almost,  I have completed all side quests. However, it was entirely achieved by my self. I decided to discuss my progress with a RL person I know (who was at same progress) and looked up 1 hint. This is what happened (MEGA SPOILER WARNING, do not read unless you have at least all main endings, even then it is still a major spoiler because getting all 60 quests is quite fun:

Spoiler:
Discussing the case with that person gave me some viable information on reading the Chapter Select statistics. I was reading it wrong the whole time. The last two chapters were showing 1/2 for 9S, making me thing there was a quest on each chapter. But this isn't true. Those numbers are duplicates. The actual quest that I was following and had to complete was 4S' quest and Emil.

@ Ionasal kkll Solcie
Spoiler:
Not entirely as an excuse on my side, but saying 'Yes' to the sleeping NPC at the crates me really think it was a quest. But it wasn't. He has nothing to do with it past Sorting Trouble 3. This I discovered after checking my quest status with that RL person, as he had 58/60 and I had 57/60.

Back to what happened:
Spoiler:
After learning how to read and interpret the Quest counter, I jumped back a few chapters. The quest I was missing was "Lost Equipment" which the Commander had assigned me to find at the Abandoned Factory. I did pick up that, but forgot to give it at the Bunker to her. FML maximum! So that was quest 57!

Remaining the last two quests which one is surely Emil and other is surely 4S. And I had a feeling that you needed Emil first to complete 4S' quest. And it was true. However, I tried and tried to find Emil's quest. Struggling for days, revisiting almost every single place and corner of the world I couldn't find it. I decided to look up a hint to see what happens past "Emil's Memory"

The spoiler hint was talking about a specific area I would've honestly never ever guess. Not at this point of the game, because I was so lost and frustrated. I remember at some point I was thinking of attempting that one place. Anyway, without spoiling too much within spoilers: I manage to get the final two quests and completed 60/60. It was quite thrilling.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 08:37:58 PM by Helepolis »

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2017, 09:35:36 AM »
Sorry for bumping this thread, but I just got Nier: Automata for Christmas and I've been looking forward to it for ages. I'm in the Desert area now, but I got an in-game email saying I could backtrack to the factory and retrieve my original body. Is this a good idea, or should I be at a higher level before doing so?

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2017, 01:49:51 PM »
Sorry for bumping this thread, but I just got Nier: Automata for Christmas and I've been looking forward to it for ages. I'm in the Desert area now, but I got an in-game email saying I could backtrack to the factory and retrieve my original body. Is this a good idea, or should I be at a higher level before doing so?
Your choice. Don't be afraid to try out things. NieR Automata in the beginning isn't punishing or difficult. The game has a good learning curve and progressive difficulty (imo).

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2017, 07:42:57 AM »
Yes, you should do this. You get a good reward and there?s no worry of being in an area too powerful for you. Though, it?s not urgent, and you should finish what you?re in the desert for first.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2017, 09:09:39 AM »
Yes, you should do this. You get a good reward and there?s no worry of being in an area too powerful for you. Though, it?s not urgent, and you should finish what you?re in the desert for first.
Too bad, I went ahead and did it. ^^;; Wasn't that long of a walk (or dash, in my case).

Also can I say the City Ruins music is beautifully melancholic? Like wow, I wasn't expecting that in the first zone.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2018, 07:34:15 PM »
You're going to enjoy every bit of the BGM in this game wherever you go.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2018, 08:22:48 PM »
You're going to enjoy every bit of the BGM in this game wherever you go.
So far, that is very true. I'm not like, bubbling up with emotion or anything, but the soundtrack so far does evoke thoughts of introspection and "why am I here again?"

Speaking of going there and back again, I went to the very back of the factory level, to the spot where that wheel digger's corpse lay. I look behind the wheel and all I find is a chest with some random materials in it. You'd think there'd be something significant back here, but the only other areas I can think of to backtrack to are a locked chest midway through the level (just before a shortcut bridge), and a locked door with a red light. Am I supposed to come back here further in the story, or is there something else I can get here now?

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2018, 08:41:23 PM »
So far, that is very true. I'm not like, bubbling up with emotion or anything, but the soundtrack so far does evoke thoughts of introspection and "why am I here again?"

Speaking of going there and back again, I went to the very back of the factory level, to the spot where that wheel digger's corpse lay. I look behind the wheel and all I find is a chest with some random materials in it. You'd think there'd be something significant back here, but the only other areas I can think of to backtrack to are a locked chest midway through the level (just before a shortcut bridge), and a locked door with a red light. Am I supposed to come back here further in the story, or is there something else I can get here now?
You do come back later
Spoiler:
Become as Gods.Become as Gods. Become as Gods. Become as Gods. Become as Gods.
The pier out the front has your gear from the first boss fight at the end, for now that's it.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2018, 09:30:42 PM »
Third Eye Lem, pro tip: (pure my advice) if you want to avoid any spoilers: You shouldn't ask whether you will or will not revisit a specific place in the future. Answering these questions, which Rifle just did, is in my opinion spoilers.

Reporting your progress is no problem. But I won't answer any of your findings or questions unless you're really really stuck. (Which is in my opinion impossible in the beginning).

But if you don't mind any of this or don't see them as spoilers then I will be happy to answer them.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2018, 11:13:41 PM »
Third Eye Lem, pro tip: (pure my advice) if you want to avoid any spoilers: You shouldn't ask whether you will or will not revisit a specific place in the future. Answering these questions, which Rifle just did, is in my opinion spoilers.

Reporting your progress is no problem. But I won't answer any of your findings or questions unless you're really really stuck. (Which is in my opinion impossible in the beginning).

But if you don't mind any of this or don't see them as spoilers then I will be happy to answer them.
The spoiler itself was kind of cryptic anyways, so it's not a huge deal, but I will keep that in mind. ;)

That said, I did progress a little bit, but I'm having a bit of a hard time reaching a possible quest...
Spoiler:
Machine Examination 1. Am I supposed to shoot or knock the head off? I don't see an O button prompt any time I get close to it.

Ionasal kkll Solciel

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2018, 02:28:17 AM »
The spoiler itself was kind of cryptic anyways, so it's not a huge deal, but I will keep that in mind. ;)

That said, I did progress a little bit, but I'm having a bit of a hard time reaching a possible quest...
Spoiler:
Machine Examination 1. Am I supposed to shoot or knock the head off? I don't see an O button prompt any time I get close to it.
Spoiler:
You'll need to be on ground level to talk to it. Look for a large rock in front.

Move eternally forward,

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2018, 09:08:50 AM »
This isn't a spoiler but more like game mechanic thing: Interacting with NPC/objects often requires no enemies to be nearby.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2018, 08:25:32 AM »
This isn't a spoiler but more like game mechanic thing: Interacting with NPC/objects often requires no enemies to be nearby.
Makes sense.

Also, I progressed a bit more and unlocked Fast Travel. Why does this have to be locked at the start ;w; I'm afraid I'll miss out on sidequests if I just make a beeline right for it in the next playthrough...

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2018, 09:59:02 AM »
Story wise it makes sense that Fast Travel was not available.  :V

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2018, 07:24:36 PM »
Now I remember something I wanted to ask: has anyone here Fused Chips? How should I get the most out of them? I know there's a guide on GameFAQs but I'm having a little bit of trouble trying to understand it.

Your Everyday NEET

• Part time Researcher & Let's Player, full time NEET, also an eel
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2018, 05:35:45 AM »
You combine 2 chips with the same type and level to upgrade them. The slot for the combined chip would be approximately 1st chip cost + 2nd chip cost divided by 2. Gold rarity chip usually is very cost efficient. Combine those instead.

Chips normally goes up to +6. A certain legendary chip master can get it to +8. I don't know where it is though.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2018, 04:01:20 AM »
Thanks for the info. I'm still trying to feel out what works for me. I really like regaining health from hitting things and the auto-regen during downtime, though I also like having auto-item just out of sheer laziness...What I could use is a bit more attack power, so the Offensive Heal can be more effective. Guess I'll need to do some chip grinding at some point.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2018, 03:50:03 PM »
Been playing this a bit over the last week. I'm
Spoiler:
about to fight Eve after that weird robot cult factory cul de sac

Am I supposed to know who that bizarre severed head guy is? Is that something from the first game?
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Ionasal kkll Solciel

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2018, 02:59:32 AM »
Severed head guy is, in fact, a returnee from the original NieR. You don't particularly need to know anything about him, but later he'll set up shop around the City Ruins with three different store lists depending on where you stop him.

Move eternally forward,

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2018, 01:40:34 AM »
So I finished my first playthrough and didn't really like it. There's plenty of neat stuff in the game but it's badly padded out by filler, the difficulty curve is bizarre, the color palette is ugly to look at most of the time, and I found the ending to be really unsatisfying.

That said
Spoiler:
I'm enjoying the second go-around as 9S much more than I thought I would. It should be heinous that a game with this much backtracking is making me do everything AGAIN but the extra little details are really interesting, 9S' playstyle is different enough, and I'm moving through things MUCH faster this time. Just beat the opera singer robot in the amusement park and all the extra backstory was neat.
For all of the stuff I don't like about the game, and there is quite a lot of it, I definitely want to keep playing it so it must be doing more stuff right than it's doing wrong.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2018, 02:27:07 PM »
So I finished my first playthrough and didn't really like it. There's plenty of neat stuff in the game but it's badly padded out by filler, the difficulty curve is bizarre, the color palette is ugly to look at most of the time, and I found the ending to be really unsatisfying.
Everything being washed out colour wise is a style decision from the original NieR.
The game definitely wants you to question yourself. Quests making you feel "why did I waste my time doing this" is often their intent. NieR was very much
Spoiler:
"doing side-quests will make you feel worse"