Author Topic: What anime(s) and/or manga(s) are you watching/reading right now?  (Read 213694 times)

commandercool

• alter cool
Re: What anime(s) and/or manga(s) are you watching/reading right now?
« Reply #90 on: August 17, 2014, 08:10:39 PM »
I abandoned Suisei No Gargantia. Not good enough, not really worth my time.

Next stop on the Urobuchi train is Phantom: Requiem For The Phantom (apparently this train goes in no particular order). It's about a Japanese tourist who witnesses a mob hit and gets brainwashed to become a hitman. Based on a visual novel, possibly suffers a little from visual novel harem syndrome but it's not too bad. I like it a lot up so far. It's the only anime I've ever seen that's set entirely in the United States so far, which is an interesting change of pace. Based on the arc of the story so far the fact that it's 26 episodes is a little worrying since that leaves a lot of room to go off the rails. We'll see.

Also caught up on Terror In Resonance. I do not like it at all. The first episode rubbed me the wrong way for a few reasons, but my roommate's been enjoying it so he convinced me to catch up. Unless it gets a lot smarter, more interesting, and less repetitive soon then it's clear I should have trusted my first reaction. Maybe all of the things I don't like about it will turn out to have been setup for something cool, but if that's the case it waited too long to pull the trigger.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #91 on: August 17, 2014, 08:15:57 PM »
It's the only anime I've ever seen that's set entirely in the United States so far, which is an interesting change of pace.
You haven't watched Baccano? Go watch Baccano.

Also caught up on Terror In Resonance. I do not like it at all. The first episode rubbed me the wrong way for a few reasons, but my roommate's been enjoying it so he convinced me to catch up. Unless it gets a lot smarter, more interesting, and less repetitive soon then it's clear I should have trusted my first reaction. Maybe all of the things I don't like about it will turn out to have been setup for something cool, but if that's the case it waited too long to pull the trigger.
Nothing groundbreaking has happened, sure, but it's a good production with good directing, which makes it interesting enough for me. There were some nice scenes along the way. The climax better be good, though!

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #92 on: August 18, 2014, 12:58:41 AM »
You haven't watched Baccano? Go watch Baccano.

Nope. I haven't seen most anime, and that one is no exception.

Looking at the summary though, it's like someone was thinking "How can I engineer a show specifically to interest commandercool?", so that's a good sign it's going to get watched some time very soon.

aranicar

• The Expressive Poker Face
  • Wasting time again
« Reply #93 on: August 20, 2014, 03:27:54 PM »
SAO II: Lol Kirito.

SAO II...............

I'm sorry, I gave this one a shot after the brain-numbing first season (I feel as though I lost an important part of myself after watching it).  Maybe this one would be better, seriously that new girl;  she has so much potential.  She hates him to so no adding on to harem right?  I'm going to get nice action right?  It's going to be great... right...?

I am disappointed, more-so on myself for putting so much anticipation into what is obviously an SAO sequel.  I should have expected this.  After the sixth episode I just dropped it (what kind of action sequence was that?!?  That's not action, that's just angst.).  No use continuing.  If somebody can convince me it gets better later on I might continue it, but I highly doubt it.

Oh well, I don't need action, good comedy is enough for me :D.                            \/\/\/
                                                                                                                                   Monthly Girls? Nozaki-kun

They still haven't changed the Canada flag to US.

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #94 on: August 20, 2014, 03:37:48 PM »
Guys

Zai x 10

Read it.

It's fucking hilarious.

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #95 on: August 20, 2014, 03:45:11 PM »
Guys

Zai x 10

Read it.

It's fucking hilarious.
Oh, okay, it's by the same guys who did High School Boys. No wonder the art is the same.

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
« Reply #96 on: August 21, 2014, 11:00:02 PM »
She hates him to so no adding on to harem right?
Wait SAO is a harem show?
I guess I shouldn't be surprised considering its light novel origins but I'm kind of disgusted. In fact, the single reason I've heard why people liked season one was because of how differently they handled the 'romance'. As I expected, 'marriage' is a bit of a novel way to introduce some new ideas, but it's very hard to keep dragging in new sources of tension and plot. As is my opinion with shows like this, you kill the show if you make one girl too prominent/canon. No resolution until the end, and only ship teases here and there are what keep stuff like this floating. In which case SAO was dead to begin with, I suppose.
So it seemed kind of obvious, but I'm still a little disappointed. The author could have at least used a new MC or something.
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

« Reply #97 on: August 22, 2014, 01:53:32 AM »
Nichijou and Fooly Cooly. I May start KLK/Kill la kill sometime.

aranicar

• Wasting time again
« Reply #98 on: August 23, 2014, 09:41:29 PM »
Wait SAO is a harem show?

Considering that every single girl  has feelings for Kirito, I consider it a harem.  There is one canon pairing (Kirito and Asuna), but *ha* she's basically a background character now.  Asuna started out pretty decent too, strong, adaptive, independent... now reduced to 'obligatory romance partner' *sigh in frustration*.

The new girl could have been a very interesting and fresh new main, but so far it doesn't seem to be happening.  Then again, I stopped on the sixth episode, so I could be wrong.  Given the show's track record; however, I highly doubt anything worth watching would happen.

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
« Reply #99 on: August 23, 2014, 10:37:36 PM »
ah yes lets marry off our protagonist in the first arc and then spend every arc after adding to his harem despite the fact we married him off
yes
good idea.
Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra

Drake

« Reply #100 on: August 23, 2014, 11:03:16 PM »
sao is godawful for so many reasons

and yet i'm still watching it

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #101 on: August 24, 2014, 05:29:02 PM »
There's this trend lately. What's KyoAni doing next? Oh, something boobies. Trigger? Generic LN awesomeness. Ikuhara? Yuri bears? Did I miss a "challenge accepted" somewhere?

« Reply #102 on: August 25, 2014, 03:05:11 AM »
Finally caught up on HxH.
What. a. ride. Damn shame that it's ending, though. I should work on the manga - haven't touched it since Togashi went on hiatus (again).

Also picking up the Mushoku Tensei LNs, all the threads on /a/ got me interested.
Looking forward to a nice fantasy work. The Machine TL drama concerns me, though.

Normal 1ccs - EOSD, PCB, SA
Extra 1ccs - PCB

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #103 on: August 25, 2014, 12:55:46 PM »
Just finished Phantom: Requiem For The Phantom. It's great. Why don't people talk about it more? Given how popular Urobuchi is I would think it would come up more. It's a little rough around the edges, the budget seems a little lower than I'm used to, and there are summary episodes that also contain plot, but mostly it's great. I think I liked it slightly more than Psycho Pass, and I liked Psycho Pass a lot.

aranicar

• Wasting time again
« Reply #104 on: August 25, 2014, 11:50:52 PM »
Guys

Zai x 10

Read it.

It's fucking hilarious.

I don't know what I'm reading.  But it's awesome.  Can't wait for more :D.

I personally like the robbery arc, that woman really reminds me of Homura lol.

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #105 on: August 26, 2014, 10:01:55 AM »
Read the first volume of D-Frag at a nearby Barnes & Nobles
I'd have to say it's pretty interesting. Good comedy, good characters.
Premise: A guy gets forced into his high-school's game dev club. Said club is comprised entirely of girls. Seems pretty standard setup? If it is, the 'story' movement seemed fun enough to warrant it. I hope it doesn't go harem route. Also, there's another game dev club in the school that challenges this game dev club to a devvy showdown. And the girls have different elemental alignments/powers, in a practical sort of way. Like tasers, matches, and water bottles practical.
Also, there's an Alice-y character in this one too. I'm starting to notice a trend in my manga choices

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #106 on: August 26, 2014, 12:49:21 PM »
Started Fate Zero last night. Watching the first episode was a chore in a way that I don't think I've ever experienced watching TV before. Ugh. This better pick up fast.

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #107 on: August 26, 2014, 01:18:45 PM »
I'll revise my earlier post's opinion.
D-Frag is golden. It's diamondized hilarity. By all means, try it out.
(the manga though, apparently there's an anime which I will try out as soon as I get through the manga)

edit: caught up with the manga. Aaaaugh, every girl is best girl. And every minor character is best minor characteeeerr.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 04:48:03 PM by Mea »

« Reply #108 on: August 26, 2014, 09:47:16 PM »
Recently saw Paprika, and was quite entertained.  Somehow the library has the (non-comic) book on it, which will hopefully explain more of the dream stuff.
I've lots of people comparing Paprika to an acid trip, but the craziest LSD trip, Not Safe For Mind is Yume Tsukai.

« Reply #109 on: August 26, 2014, 10:30:15 PM »
Started Fate Zero last night. Watching the first episode was a chore in a way that I don't think I've ever experienced watching TV before. Ugh. This better pick up fast.
1st ep. was largely to infodump the Grail War for people who haven't read/watched f/sn. Do hold out, it gets much better.

Normal 1ccs - EOSD, PCB, SA
Extra 1ccs - PCB

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #110 on: August 26, 2014, 11:33:00 PM »
1st ep. was largely to infodump the Grail War for people who haven't read/watched f/sn. Do hold out, it gets much better.

Watched the second one on my lunch break earlier, and I liked it more. It still seemed like mostly exposition though, which doesn't really feel necessary given that this basic structure isn't that uncommon in anime. I'll keep watching unless it can somehow keep up this rate of exposition for even longer, and I don't imagine that will be the case. Something has to start happening soon, and when it does I'm sure it will be fine.

« Reply #111 on: August 27, 2014, 02:01:18 AM »
do vn's count? If so I just started higurashi after watching some of the anime(wow it's amazingly better than the anime so far) and uh reading tsukhime and just kohaku's route left to finish.
Touhou games 1cced(sadly on easy mode) MOF,DDC,IN,TD,POFV,UFO,EOSD,SA

« Reply #112 on: August 28, 2014, 02:42:29 AM »
Outside of a few stuff that is currently airing right now, I'm kind of on and off watching Fist of the North Star. Started watching it to see some of the influences Jojo's Bizarre Adventure took in. Currently finished the first season.

Mеа

• catnapping

Massaca

• すやぁ...
« Reply #114 on: September 05, 2014, 11:05:15 AM »
Hanayamata might be wavering, I've yet to watch the latest ep though
Locodol is still enjoyable
Fate/Kaleid Zwei is still great
RWBY vol.2 is going well so far.

On Fate/Stay Night, I haven't seen it or read the VN so i was going to watch the TV Reproduction version (the condensed movie type, however they're reffered to) but the two reviews on MAL were like lolno so now i'm a little torn since I really don't feel like watching 25 episodes and heard it wasn't that great (maybe just compared to the VN? Iunno) but then if the condensed version is that poorly done... I'd probably have trouble sticking with the 25 eps either way but it would be harder going back after the condensed ver.
Think I should just say "**** it" and just watch the condensed ver not caring to take in the story too much before going on to UBW or try to watch the 25 eps?
I've done like no research to avoid spoils other than a quick glance at the MAL reviews.

A couple weeks ago I started reading Girl Friends at work when it was quiet. Got it for christmas but hadn't felt like starting it until then.
http://i.imgur.com/YtSWHq7.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/18RaHor.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/gBLeoAF.jpg

Read about a third of the fist half of the it (1st half ends half way through volume 3) that day but never got back to it until today when I read the rest of the first half.
I'd really liked it up until that point but the way the first half ended was like a brick to the heart, my stomache just dropped. Why Mari, how could you be so ****ing stupid ;_; big spoils
Spoiler:
she had sex with her boyfriend (whom she doesn't love and is just going out with partially out of pity and to escape her feelings for her best friend, Akko, after having kissed her) just to be "just like" Akko, that she's truly in love with but she (Akko) never actually did so... And the look on Mari's face is like she's a bit in shock, like she realised how stupid of a mistake it was. I'm hoping so much that she's lying. Edit from the 5 hours later: oh my thank goodness she was. Damn that got to me.
What's worse is that it will be a couple hours before I get home to continue it on the second half, too much time to dwell on it.

**5 hours later**

So I never hit the post button... anyway...

Well as soon as I got home I got stuck into the other half and didn't stop until I'd finished reading it. A bit too much drama for my liking (don't like much at all) but in the end I really enjoyed it
Spoiler:
and I'm so glad it ended nicely
. And it got to me emotionally quite a bit, I can feel it and know this is gunna hit me later tonight and all tomorrow :/

Also got "Kisses, Sighs and Cherry Blossom Pink" and "Strawberry Panic" to get to in the future sometime (also got for christmas) though I'm not sure I'll like Strawberry Panic now so I'm really hesitent about reading it (and it lacks pictures >_>; ). The other I have no idea.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 11:29:07 AM by Massaca »

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #115 on: September 05, 2014, 06:07:21 PM »
okay I don't think I've ever mentioned what I'm watching this season atm.

Hanayamata - Cute girls doing blushing things. Also yasakoi I guess. Typical subtext yuri anime of the season, but it's really cute at times. Especially Hana. Actually all of them are cute in general.

Fate/Kaleid Zwei - watched this after watching the first season and caught up with this one and oh my god, this show is glorious. Watching this during my Fate binge atm. But this is great. Excellent comedy, great action on top, and maybe a little bit of fan-service here and there but it doesn't pull away from how great this show is. It's so intentionally cliche as a mahou shoujo anime, but it also has all the Fate feel to it still.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #116 on: September 05, 2014, 07:22:38 PM »
Speaking of Fate, I finished Fate Zero a few days ago. I have many thoughts, but I didn't like it much. It's an interesting piece of the "look at everything Urobuchi has ever touched" puzzle. Worth watching, parts of it were great, but the whole is less than the sum of its parts. And I'm realizing gradually that I just don't like Type Moon very much.

On a related note, people are watching Aldnoah.Zero, right? I know I mentioned it before, but I'm mentioning it again. It is great.

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #117 on: September 05, 2014, 07:30:50 PM »
On a related note, people are watching Aldnoah.Zero, right? I know I mentioned it before, but I'm mentioning it again. It is great.
It's great when it remembers to tap into that amazing setting it has. Otherwise, enjoy that SAO-tier screenplay.

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #118 on: September 05, 2014, 08:46:21 PM »
Funny I'm also watching Fate/Zero atm though slowly because I'm also currently watching Log Horizon and the Idolm@ster (the latter probably whenever I remember to watch it rofl).

It satisfies my Fate needs though I really didn't appreciate that one scene in Episode 2 that introduced Ryuunosuke. Sure it's gruesome and all but a bit too much for my liking that I had to skip ahead.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #119 on: September 05, 2014, 08:58:30 PM »
Funny I'm also watching Fate/Zero atm though slowly because I'm also currently watching Log Horizon and the Idolm@ster (the latter probably whenever I remember to watch it rofl).

It satisfies my Fate needs though I really didn't appreciate that one scene in Episode 2 that introduced Ryuunosuke. Sure it's gruesome and all but a bit too much for my liking that I had to skip ahead.

Yeah, I know what you mean.

Spoiler:
All of the child murder stuff seemed pretty gratuitous, but what really turned my stomach was all of the implied bug rape/near-tentacle rape stuff. Not necessary, just exploitative and gross.

At any rate, let me know what you think of it when you're done. As someone who likes and knows Fate I'd be interested to hear how your experience relates to mine.