Author Topic: Why do people eat potatoes? Find out in the ATTACK ON TITAN thread  (Read 98315 times)

Quad City QBs

• tumblr, tumblr, in the attic,
  • who is the most problematic?
    • maullarmaullar @ Tumblr

From Production I.G., featuring the directorial talents of Tetsurou Araki (Death Note, High School of the Dead, Guilty Crown, Black Lagoon), comes an adaptation of one of the hottest new manga in Japan: 進撃の巨人, Attack on Titan. Don't be fooled by the doofy name and cool gear and dynamic high-flying acrobatics, because this is no shounen. No, this is war, this is hopelessness, this is the fragility of human resolve laid bare. Every action scene is nauseatingly tense in the knowledge that the protagonists are at every disadvantage, that important characters can and do die messily. And every triumph is thrilling despite being ultimately insignificant and brutally temporary. There are no hackneyed devices, walking cliches, or sappy messages about friendship to be found here--only raw humanity at its best and its bravest, its weakest and its most cowardly and selfish.

And the production values are amazing, too. Bold outlines, high framerates, and dynamic camera work bring the action to eye-popping life. Detailed backgrounds and a well-used score put you right in the midst of the horror. You'll clench your fingers involuntarily as
Spoiler:
Eren and Mikasa struggle in vain to dig Eren's mom out of the rubble before the titans come to eat them.
And when
Spoiler:
Mikasa--slung over Hannes's back as he runs for all his drunk but justifiably terrified ass is worth--looks away from the carnage, you'll want to look away too.

Watch the trailer here or catch the stream over at FUNimation or Crunchyroll.

See you on the other side of the walls.

------

THE TITAN-SIZED LIST OF PARODIES/MADS

Attack on Achiga
Attack on Alucard
Attack on Anpanman
Attack on Automatic Turnstile
Attack on Barkley
Attack on Blackhawk
Attack on Chuuni
Attack on Coke
Attack on Dark Souls
Attack on Digimon
Attack on EVA
Attack on Eye Exam
Attack on Grail
Attack on Haruhi
Attack on Heidi
Attack on HEYYEYAAEYAAAAEYAAA
Attack on Idol
Attack on Indian (part 1)
Attack on Indian (part 2)
Attack on Indomie
Attack on JAPAN
Attack on Jojo
Attack on Madoka (part 1)
Attack on Madoka (part 2)
Attack on Mickey Mouse
Attack on Minecraft
Attack on MMD
Attack on Neuroi
Attack on Nichijou (part 1)
Attack on Nichijou (part 2)
Attack on Okarin
Attack on Panzer
Attack on Pingu
Attack on Precure
Attack on Republic
Attack on Rotoscope
Attack on Rugrats
Attack on SAO
Attack on School Days
Attack on Simon
Attack on Snuggle
Attack on Teatime
Attack on Teletubbies
Attack on Thomas
Attack on tofu
Attack on Touhou
Attack on UtaPrince
Attack on Valvrave
Attack on Zombies
Shingeki no Anon
Shingeki no Kyojin-kun
Work on Satan
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 06:03:04 AM by Quad City QBs »

Nothing in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor as creating an attorney-client relationship, nor as an advertisement for legal or law-related services.
Art Thread | Writing Thread | Tumblr NSFWAsk.fm

Drake

Re: Shingeki no Kyojin/Attack on Titan: A show about fine dining.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 04:45:29 AM »
That moment when
Spoiler:
Hannes valiantly rushes towards the Titan, talking as if he were willing to go all the way no matter what, then stops dead in his tracks and books it when it looks at him.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 03:43:57 PM »
I went into this knowing there'd be Mirai Nikki levels of violence.

I wasn't exactly expecting those levels to be exceeded in the first episode though.

Either way, the first episode was great and I can't wait to see more of this.

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 04:43:29 PM »
I always thought it was wrong to call it ON TITAN. these people are not on the Titan (moon) or (the space vessel Titan) and the japanese title clearly say The Attack of The Titans. So why the fuck is it called ATTACK ON TITAN? Are alien vessels attacking the Titan moon...?

rant aside.

There are two shows about eating fresh this season that I am watching
one of those is this, but to be fair episode 1 is all kinds of edgy, feels like I am eating Linkin Park for breakfast over here. But that said 700mb an episode holy fuck, high frame rates oh hello there. Love the animation, love the overall production values.

on a more subtle note its competitor IRL also started airing (about eating peoples) - Hannibal the TV series.

This, while not a fair competition against the TV show or should not be compared at all, puts all my eggs into a basket of bad anticipation. I am not sure how well this will pan out but given the street cred from someone who has done Guilty Crown, I hope this adaptation stays faithful and at the same time break some molds. Should still tone the overall edgy down..
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 04:45:32 PM by ♛ 真・天夢音 - Shin Amamune-ryuu »
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Quad City QBs

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 05:04:21 PM »
I always thought it was wrong to call it ON TITAN. these people are not on the Titan (moon) or (the space vessel Titan) and the japanese title clearly say The Attack of The Titans. So why the fuck is it called ATTACK ON TITAN? Are alien vessels attacking the Titan moon...?

How do you know they aren't  :o

to be fair episode 1 is all kinds of edgy, feels like I am eating Linkin Park for breakfast over here.

Artifact of the director's style. If you look at the original manga, the art is much more subdued and feels rather sketchy and incomplete in places. I'd compare it to the Haganai manga, really.

So long as he sticks to the story and world-building and overall feel of the manga, though, a little hamminess shouldn't hurt anything. One really awesome thing about the manga is that everything, everything is foreshadowed in subtle ways. Seemingly innocuous character scenes turn out to be significant later in ways you never expected, but really should have. There's a lot of room for a creative and observant director to have fun with the writing.

Nothing in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor as creating an attorney-client relationship, nor as an advertisement for legal or law-related services.

Messiah

• The Devil on The Sky~
  • In seek for the lost DotS
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 06:08:35 PM »
Is that the world from where the BETA from Muv-luv come from?:V
Steam Profile                 Myanimelist Profile

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 08:34:01 PM »
Oh god, I already love this.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 09:15:34 PM »
Man those monsters are genuinely terrifying. Gonna be following this closely.

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 09:37:41 PM »
Is that the world from where the BETA from Muv-luv come from?:V

Titan is the sixth ellipsoidal moon from Saturn. Frequently described as a planet-like moon, Titan has a diameter roughly 50% larger than Earth's moon and is 80% more massive. It is the second-largest moon in the Solar System, after Jupiter's moon Ganymede
- seems unlikely.
I mean, the BETA are HUEG, I would imagine given the size and bone density - logic suggest they come from at least a planet the size of Saturn. but I digress.

Finer points of episode 1 - emotion.
Lots of it, it is this gripping emotion that I feel when I see the people struggling. Everywhere is panic, and everywhere is chaos. You can feel the characters crumble beneath the situation. This anime has that and bang, it is worth my time. Lets see how it goes I guess.
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 10:38:57 PM »
Clearly we must develop a naming system for the recurring titans. "Shifty" and "Gus" probly won't cut it.
One really awesome thing about the manga is that everything, everything is foreshadowed in subtle ways. Seemingly innocuous character scenes turn out to be significant later in ways you never expected, but really should have.
Y'mean like how some viewers knew Hannes would flake out on going gung-ho on the titan and retreat with the kids before actually doing so? It's pretty clear he sees his job as a decent way to make a paycheck and isn't absolutely in love with it. To his credit, tackling one directly wouldn't have done much good. And admittedly, it wasn't that subtle. There's a bunch of other things foreshadowed in the first ep, too, I wager.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Quad City QBs

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 11:18:12 PM »
Y'mean like how some viewers knew Hannes would flake out on going gung-ho on the titan and retreat with the kids before actually doing so? It's pretty clear he sees his job as a decent way to make a paycheck and isn't absolutely in love with it. To his credit, tackling one directly wouldn't have done much good. And admittedly, it wasn't that subtle. There's a bunch of other things foreshadowed in the first ep, too, I wager.

No, I'm talking about major twists in the story. At first you'll be totally shocked and taken aback, then it'll come to you--bygone scenes half-remembered, that you dismissed as insignificant a few episodes ago--connections springing into place, the realization that you've been completely played by the author. Everything that happens is meticulously planned out, and every scene is there for a reason. Enjoy your speculation.

And the great thing is that the characters are going through the exact same thought process with you. One interesting thing this manga does is, there are no exposition scenes where the villains chat among themselves. At any given time, you know no more about what's going on than the protagonists do. So when they get a surprise kick in the ass, you genuinely share in the surprise.

By the way, the manga is like 50 chapters in and we're not really any closer to knowing what the deal is with these titans, or how humanity was reduced to these few walls. I'm not sure how the anime plans to address all these mysteries, or if it's going to do so at all.

Drake

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2013, 12:33:06 AM »
anyone who really cares that the title was translated "officially" to attack on titan can go grab commie subs and relish in the obviously better naming of THE EOTENA ONSLAUGHT

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Merp

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2013, 01:01:02 AM »
i can't wait for all dat Misaka ass
Assemblage of egregious drama queens

Pixiv  Deviantart  Livestream  Art Thread

Messiah

• The Devil on The Sky~
  • In seek for the lost DotS
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2013, 03:13:33 AM »
things.

That's some nice information, you have my thanks.
Spoiler:
Not sure if the VN actually explains it since I dropped because I was to sissy for the gore.
Steam Profile                 Myanimelist Profile

Quad City QBs

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2013, 03:21:43 AM »
i can't wait for all dat Misaka ass

I would draw Mikasa in bondage but she would find a way to kill me in real life because she's just that badass

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2013, 03:29:36 AM »
it was a training mishap.
Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2013, 03:37:38 AM »
I would draw Mikasa in bondage but she would find a way to kill me in real life because she's just that badass
On the subject of Mikasa, I'm essentially going into the anime blind but I had the feeling that she'd achieve badass-tier eventually.

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

Zirene

• Resident Planeswalker
  • Want some?
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2013, 05:55:12 AM »
I can't remember the last time I double watched anything, much less the first episode of an anime series I know nothing about. Even on the second watch I was tensing up. I have really high hopes for this one thanks Maullar. I'm no writer, far from it in fact, but I feel like exposition is cheating sometimes so I think this is right up my alley.

Is it just me or do the titans look kind of baked? Maybe that is why they are so hungry.

Quad City QBs

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2013, 07:29:12 AM »
[nsfw]http://danbooru.donmai.us/posts?commit=Go&page=1&tags=namaniku_atk+shingeki_no_kyojin&utf8=%E2%9C%93[/nsfw]

...you know, I'm okay with this

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2013, 09:48:13 AM »
[nsfw]http://danbooru.donmai.us/posts?commit=Go&page=1&tags=namaniku_atk+shingeki_no_kyojin&utf8=%E2%9C%93[/nsfw]

...you know, I'm okay with this

Dear god all that delicious Mikasa

Man would you check that out? How round and tight can it go man

I am not even gonna say much

[nsfw]http://i.imgur.com/l58mFEN.jpg[/nsfw]
Anyway, quick drawing of Mikasa's hot as hell tightly wound ass

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=559196290778685&set=a.331973316834318.82451.212748588756792&type=1&permPage=1 I would watch this
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 06:49:38 PM by ♛ 真・天夢音 - Shin Amamune-ryuu »

Quad City QBs

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2013, 05:44:08 AM »
Both FUNi and Crunchyroll will be streaming this show. NO EXCUSES

Quad City QBs

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2013, 05:16:57 AM »
Also, episode 2 is out! Mostly just setting up for the meat of the story, if you'll excuse the expression.

Spoiler:
Dat food shortage, dat culling 'expedition'
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 05:19:15 AM by Quad City QBs »

Zirene

• Resident Planeswalker
  • Want some?
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2013, 11:43:07 PM »
Does anyone know how many episodes we get to enjoy?

Spoiler:
Dat food shortage, dat culling 'expedition'
Spoiler:
That scene really solidified the "this is fucking war" feeling for me.  Also how we keep referring to ourselves as "livestock".

Early prediction for how we beat the titans:
Spoiler:
SSJ Mikasa

This is fun. What are y'alls prediction for how we survive?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 12:52:36 AM by Zirene »

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2013, 12:04:08 AM »
Does anyone know how many episodes we get to enjoy?
26 I hear. Or thereabouts.
Spoiler:
SSJ Mikasa
Spoiler:
AT-AT walker style: Trip them up and nail them in the spine.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Quad City QBs

Piranha

• Hungry Ghost
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2013, 09:34:09 AM »
Quote from: ANN
The official website for the Attack on Titan television anime listed the series as 25 episodes long on its page for the Blu-ray/DVD volumes on Monday. The series will be released on nine volumes, with the first two containing two episodes each and the last seven containing three episodes each.

The first pressing of the first volume will include a 65-page, previously unpublished "Volume 0" comic by Attack on Titan manga creator Hajime Isayama. Other bonuses will include a 12-page special full-color booklet, ending illustration card, and packaging with an exclusive illustration by character designer Kyoji Asano. All copies of the first volume will have Attack on Titan Chimi Chara Gekijō "Tondeke! Kunren Heidan" (a mini short with Yu-pon's signature super-deformed characters, similar to those featured in Psycho-Pass and other anime)

The first Blu-ray volume will hit store shelves on July 17 for 6,300 (about US$65) yen. The DVD edition retails for 5,250 yen (US$54).

Link: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-04-08/attack-on-titan-listed-with-25-episodes

So until the Anime catches up, we should have enough material to cover in the 25 episodes. But the problem is, where are they planning to make a cut? (assuming the manga doesn't end around chapter 50)
Normal 1cc: EoSD (All), PCB (All), IN (All teams), PoFV (Reimu), MoF (All), SA (ReimuA/ReimuB)
Extra stages cleared: EoSD (ReimuB), PCB (ReimuB)
StB: Level 6-X left
My Replays

Quad City QBs

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2013, 04:34:48 PM »
Ahahaha. The manga is currently at 44 chapters and I don't see it ending any time soon. I would say the manga needs at least 100 chapters, probably around 160 to have any kind of satisfying resolution.

I'm really not sure where the anime plans to cut off. The manga's given us no real good jumping-off point so far. No convenient timeskip or major coup by the humans.

Have some videos, though.

Prody

• (*'v'*) Creation
  • 『てめえら全員、ぶっ飛ばす!!』
    • Prody's other youtube channel
Prody's anime list! - Prody's favourite MADs on NicoDouga! - Me when steam trading
I wonder if anyone knows the true meaning of the last song in Nanairo?
the economy the economy the economy the economy

Zirene

• Resident Planeswalker
  • Want some?
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2013, 03:35:47 PM »
Have some videos, though.
I use this song for my alarm when I have a test or I go exercise in the morning. I just gets me FUCKING PUMPED! On that note, why are anime OPs so catchy/badass?

Quad City QBs

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2013, 04:25:19 PM »
Spoiler:
That scene really solidified the "this is fucking war" feeling for me.  Also how we keep referring to ourselves as "livestock".

Prey/livestock imagery is a huge motif in this series. From the lyrics of the OP:

Quote from: Guren no Yumiya
They are the prey and we are the hunters!

Without knowing the name of the trampled flower
The fallen bird awaits the wind
Prayer won't change anything
What you need now is the resolve to fight

The pigs that laugh in the shadows
At the will to move forward
Are no more than peace-fuddled livestock
In a world of false prosperity
That stifle the freedom of the hunter!

The humiliation of captivity
Serves as the signal for rebellion
As he moves to slaughter his prey
That waits beyond those walls
Hunter!

He lets his body burn in the fire
Of his raging desires
And lights a flame in the twilight
He is the Crimson Hunter!