Author Topic: [Minecraft] MotK Minecraft Server (PREPARE FOR WORLD MOVE!)  (Read 289285 times)

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
Re: [Minecraft] MotK Minecraft Server (CURRENTLY CLOSED)
« Reply #270 on: July 28, 2011, 07:32:20 PM »
As for a new server host, LethalDrive (run by BroHoster's previous owner) may be a good option if we're willing to wait a bit. Plus the pre-order also gives a 25% off forever deal, which cheapens operations costs.

I don't mind not having a MotK MC server until 1.8. I was starting to lost motivation for projects, and moreover I have a backlog of music and Touhou GTA stuff to do.

This lapse would also be a good time to determine the mods question as well as others.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 07:34:05 PM by PARU Magnificent Breweries GmbH »
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #271 on: July 28, 2011, 07:49:04 PM »
Sorry guys. I should've taken the warnings about Brohoster changing hands more seriously.

And no, I don't have a backup of the world files...I went to make one during last week but the FTP downloads were horribly slow and kept getting canceled. The server needed to be down to do it, so I put it off for too long :[

I'm pretty annoyed with the whole thing, I feel like taking a break from Minecraft for a bit so I'll be fresh for 1.8. Also, if we start with 1.8 we can generate a world with the new features and have access to the new mod API, so we won't have to worry about any big version transitions.

Dinosaur

• Property of PX
  • Minecraft slut.
« Reply #272 on: July 28, 2011, 08:08:54 PM »
 :V

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #273 on: July 28, 2011, 08:15:46 PM »
Sorry guys. I should've taken the warnings about Brohoster changing hands more seriously.

And no, I don't have a backup of the world files...I went to make one during last week but the FTP downloads were horribly slow and kept getting canceled. The server needed to be down to do it, so I put it off for too long :[

I'm pretty annoyed with the whole thing, I feel like taking a break from Minecraft for a bit so I'll be fresh for 1.8. Also, if we start with 1.8 we can generate a world with the new features and have access to the new mod API, so we won't have to worry about any big version transitions.
;_;
We can always start over again, I guess. And hopefully our spawn this time will be on decent terrain! (Or we can force ourselves to work there for starts to add on to the challenge)

I guess a rest from MC will be good for me as well.

:V
Why the :V?
(offtopic) Also, upgrade to Lion. ^^
Bad command or file name

« Reply #274 on: July 28, 2011, 09:04:31 PM »
Well, damn it. Yet another reason that I should have done a backup after completing the Sigma.

I should have looked into the complaints regarding BroHoster a little more before deciding to go with them. I guess I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt. I am also glad that we only paid for one month, since we were really just testing their services. I guess we know what to do now.

I'm torn on the decision to wait until 1.8 before playing again. On one hand, it will be useful to start fresh in the new version. On the other, I don't want to take a forced break until Notch releases the patch. Not to mention that it will probably take a couple of smaller patch to fix the Notch bugs that will arise from 1.8 coming into play. I could use a break from Minecraft since I've been going nuts on it for nearly 2 months straight, but I'm not sure if I really want to. I just want my creations back. So much time lost  :ohdear:

All this said, I'd like to take the time to ask the users for a little feedback on their experience with our server. Aside from the occasional lag issues, what did you think?

Stuffman and I tried to keep the experience as vanilla as possible. (nevermind the freebie chests at spawn) Both of us kept the OP powers to a minimum, as to keep things fair for everyone. No use of God mode, or blatant abuse of /item. Stuffman took the approach to play the game like a regular player, and I followed suit. It was much more enjoyable and rewarding (
Spoiler:
AND NOW FRUSTRATING
) this way.  When/if we ever get around to discussing Moderators, I would like them to play the game as we do. But that's getting ahead of the current discussion.  :V

Simply put, it's been just over 2 weeks since this server arose. Would you guys like Stuffman and I to launch a new server together? If so, what (reasonable) changes would you like us to implement? Do you guys have any issues with the way that we have been running things?

I have thoroughly enjoyed my time with you folks both on this server and DDR's server. I think we are becoming a strong (albeit small) community in Minecraftia. I would like to do my part to help extend this experience to you all once again. Please let me know what you think.

Ace the Fighter

• fighting master
« Reply #275 on: July 28, 2011, 09:21:29 PM »
Stuffman, i will laugh so hard if MC upgrades to 1.8 tomorrow XD (not likely but possible)

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #276 on: July 28, 2011, 09:31:04 PM »
All this said, I'd like to take the time to ask the users for a little feedback on their experience with our server. Aside from the occasional lag issues, what did you think?

Stuffman and I tried to keep the experience as vanilla as possible. (nevermind the freebie chests at spawn) Both of us kept the OP powers to a minimum, as to keep things fair for everyone. No use of God mode, or blatant abuse of /item. Stuffman took the approach to play the game like a regular player, and I followed suit. It was much more enjoyable and rewarding (
Spoiler:
AND NOW FRUSTRATING
) this way.  When/if we ever get around to discussing Moderators, I would like them to play the game as we do. But that's getting ahead of the current discussion.  :V
Great! Had even less lag than on DDR's, to answer the lag issues. 97.5% vanilla play was great.

As for the Moderators playing 97.5% vanilla as well, that is a great idea. Keeps things from getting far too easy to build *looks at subway system, Puella Magi sprites on old server* and retains the classic MC way of doing things. IMO the only time where using OP powers for building is somewhat understandable is for massive community-exclusive projects (subway, community houses/bases, maybe Anarchy Land borders) that involve much ground work.
WE Warp compass...well, that is another thing entirely. :V

Simply put, it's been just over 2 weeks since this server arose. Would you guys like Stuffman and I to launch a new server together? If so, what (reasonable) changes would you like us to implement? Do you guys have any issues with the way that we have been running things?
Certainly! No issues with how things were run..though I have some suggestions for the new one:
 - Don't give free resources so soon. Wait until there's an established village or two before adding 'free clay/slime/cocoa/other resource' chests.
 - I'd like to put down free sandstone as well. It's not terribly common....
 - Rails (all types) given for free are good too, but after people start spreading out.
 - The server is opened to public at an arranged date and time so that we get the full effect of a fresh start. Ops and Mods can come in earlier, but just for testing/scouting and not to, say, build a safe place for the spawn just yet (that makes it too easy).
 - Speaking of spawn, if we do end up getting a crappy spawn point like we did on this server I'd suggest not moving out but using the area instead to build a village. Adds to the challenge.
 - Including mods, even puppet ones whose powers aren't defined precisely (if at all) yet, seem to be a good idea. How they are chosen, I'll leave that up to you two.

Stuffman, i will laugh so hard if MC upgrades to 1.8 tomorrow XD (not likely but possible)
No, it will be 1.7.3_01. :V
Changelog: (not real)

+ Removed sand duplication bug with pistons
 + Added Herobrine again (upon popular request)
 + Fixed a bug in the Mac version where 8-bit depth was used all the time
 + Sheep now drop mutton too
 + Re-enabled an SMP bug where monster spawners can be taken and harvested
 + Made obsidian mining take 5 seconds instead of 15
 - Removed Herobrine again
 - Removed giant zombies
 * Added Lunatic difficu ~ :colonveeplusalpha:
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 09:47:19 PM by PARU Magnificent Breweries GmbH »
Bad command or file name

Ace the Fighter

• fighting master
« Reply #277 on: July 28, 2011, 09:33:52 PM »
No, it will be 1.73_01. :V

riiiight... okay nevermind then  :ohdear:

« Reply #278 on: July 28, 2011, 09:43:32 PM »

Bout time.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #279 on: July 28, 2011, 09:45:27 PM »

Bout time.
I REALLY wish. Or at most the time it takes for redstone with iron pickaxe.
But that was a joke changelog :V
Bad command or file name

« Reply #280 on: July 28, 2011, 09:46:26 PM »
Rapscallion

Anyways the server worked well. Chunks loaded nice. Lag was minimum.
The nether was pretty poorly set up though, but I guess that just has to do with the random generation.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 09:48:13 PM by Cadmas »

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #281 on: July 28, 2011, 09:46:58 PM »
I'm torn on the decision to wait until 1.8 before playing again. On one hand, it will be useful to start fresh in the new version. On the other, I don't want to take a forced break until Notch releases the patch. Not to mention that it will probably take a couple of smaller patch to fix the Notch bugs that will arise from 1.8 coming into play.

Yeah the trouble is we don't actually know when 1.8 will be out. However, I suspect Mojang has been forced to go into speedy development to meet their release date later this year and are actually working hard for once; we're seeing screenshots of a lot more new content than there's been in the last few updates put together.

Either way I think I'll wait about two weeks before looking into starting the server again, I have some other stuff on my plate at the moment.

Dinosaur

• Property of PX
  • Minecraft slut.
« Reply #282 on: July 28, 2011, 11:09:44 PM »
Why the :V?
(offtopic) Also, upgrade to Lion. ^^

I want to kill myself because I cannot play MC  :3 I will miss you guys

And as for Lion ... I am getting there >_<

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #283 on: July 28, 2011, 11:13:05 PM »
I want to kill myself because I cannot play MC  :3 I will miss you guys

And as for Lion ... I am getting there >_<
Keep checking back regularly for updates!
As for Lion, well, only reason to hold back is if you use any PowerPC apps often or if you want to wait for Apple to release it on USB sticks (for over twice the price of the App Store version - coming next month).
Bad command or file name

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #284 on: July 28, 2011, 11:53:00 PM »
Oh wow so obviously I stay away for a few days and when I'm back everything's blown to shit :colonveeplusalpha:

Well, balls.

As for suggestions, I don't like EP's :V
Too much free stuff. I liked the free clay deal, since it gave people something to build with that wasn't cobble, and didn't really make the start easier anyways, because you still needed the coal to turn that clay into bricks. And gave the village a very nice look, like I said, no cobble/dirt stuff everywhere.
The only other thing I could see being good to hand out for free is sand(not sandstone, because you can make sandstone from sand), for the same reason we had the sand duper. Grabbing sand from the map always results in horribly torn and ruined deserts and beaches.
I don't like the idea of giving out rails of any type either, would make spreading out too easy and take out all the fun and challenge of setting up a rail system.
Though I really like this bit
- Speaking of spawn, if we do end up getting a crappy spawn point like we did on this server I'd suggest not moving out but using the area instead to build a village. Adds to the challenge.
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

« Reply #285 on: July 28, 2011, 11:55:36 PM »
oh wait what there was a sand duper,  i just took it from random spots :V

« Reply #286 on: July 29, 2011, 12:01:04 AM »
AWw, there goes the best kitchen and farm i've ever made :o....

Aniwaiz.. for suggestions/feedback

With Optimine+optifog on my crappier than Eraiya Laptop i've experienced hardly ANY lag unless i face south >_< ... no idea why, i like the free brick/clay, it looks much nicer than cobble and is more athetic than cobble eyesoreness...I I dont mind giving out free things but i think it should be limited by asking mods for some, because some people can be greedy (like me kekekekke) and take the entire chest full of clay/brick/w.e.... ( ionly took 3 stacks tbh)

ummm i was about to start minecrafting again and taking a break from maple but i guess i can wait more :D .... cant wait for the new server. :3

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
« Reply #287 on: July 29, 2011, 12:05:42 AM »
oh wait what there was a sand duper,  i just took it from random spots :V
:fail:
                                                                                   .

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #288 on: July 29, 2011, 12:50:38 AM »
As for suggestions, I don't like EP's :V
Too much free stuff. I liked the free clay deal, since it gave people something to build with that wasn't cobble, and didn't really make the start easier anyways, because you still needed the coal to turn that clay into bricks. And gave the village a very nice look, like I said, no cobble/dirt stuff everywhere.
The only other thing I could see being good to hand out for free is sand(not sandstone, because you can make sandstone from sand), for the same reason we had the sand duper. Grabbing sand from the map always results in horribly torn and ruined deserts and beaches.
I don't like the idea of giving out rails of any type either, would make spreading out too easy and take out all the fun and challenge of setting up a rail system.
Thanks for the feedback!
OK, maybe we can keep the free clay blocks and add sand as well (never knew sand could be turned to sandstone :fail:) should Notch-ism fix that useful bug. As for rails, good point. I guess it'll be left for the community systems and those who are building them (namely myself).

Aniwaiz.. for suggestions/feedback

With Optimine+optifog on my crappier than Eraiya Laptop i've experienced hardly ANY lag unless i face south >_< ... no idea why, i like the free brick/clay, it looks much nicer than cobble and is more athetic than cobble eyesoreness...I I dont mind giving out free things but i think it should be limited by asking mods for some, because some people can be greedy (like me kekekekke) and take the entire chest full of clay/brick/w.e.... ( ionly took 3 stacks tbh)

ummm i was about to start minecrafting again and taking a break from maple but i guess i can wait more :D .... cant wait for the new server. :3
Remember to update Optimine+Optifog regularly! Especially for those of you using the MT (multi-thread) version, which I recommend for those of you with dual-core or better CPUs. Worked better for me on my x201.

Asking mods for free items would be a bit too demanding.
Bad command or file name

« Reply #289 on: July 29, 2011, 03:04:03 AM »
i also disapprove of the hunger bar in 1.8 .. i'm one of the people who forget to feed their players .... *had a sim faint from hunger on sims 3 DS * ><

Eraiya

« Reply #290 on: July 29, 2011, 06:43:40 AM »
Strafe & Stuff - Don't be so hard on yourself! As the saying goes, "Hindsight's 20/20." It may be easy to blame yourself for not taking action against a potential problem that may or may not have ever arisen, but just because that problem did happen to pop up, that doesn't mean you should blame yourself for inaction retrospectively! No one can blame you for not being psychic and predicting this would happen. As far as a new server goes, I can't remember if I've asked this already or not, but can either of you handle hosting the server on your computer? If not, does anyone here have a computer strong enough to host a server? If anyone does, one amazing upside of doing so is having access to adding any plugin to your server that you see fit, at any time you want!

Edit: Also, good news on the Brohoster thing! "It has been confirmed, they are shutting down, however customers will get refunds and backups will be made available to download." So it's only a matter of time until you're able to retrieve the map or specific bits of it, if you'd like!

Strafe - I know I'm the minority here and have probably mentioned it before, but I'll throw it out again anyway: one thing I'd like to see is less vanilla gameplay. At the very least, less vanilla terrain, if nothing else! On one hand, I'd like to continue playing this game. On the other, after a year of playing on 90-100% vanilla servers with friends, it's gotten very repetitive and boring. Building new things, but with different textured blocks, essentially. There are many plugins out there that could help change this!

With Optimine+optifog on my crappier than Eraiya Laptop i've-

What?! H-How...

... Remind me to donate assorted items to you the next time we meet on a server, be it on Minecraft or another game, for all your trouble! ;-;
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 06:45:34 AM by Eraiya »

CadrinHaverit

« Reply #291 on: July 29, 2011, 06:51:08 AM »
Eh, shame you don't have any backups but like Eraiya said, no one expected you guys to know how stable our hosting service provider is. Well I would not. Let it be a lesson to us to check it next time and perhaps schedule downtimes to try and get some backups every now and then with frequency depending on the perceived stability of the provider.

Not sure how to evaluate my time on this server. Pretty good I guess. Haven't thought about that yet. Instead, I got myself plans of what to build on the next server and you are going to like these things more than the abandoned-style, plants-infested lame lighthouse (hopefully)...

Is there really no chance to retrieve the world files from the servers? No way whatsoever?

Agent of the BSoD

• Takeminakata Invocation
  • Never forget
« Reply #292 on: July 29, 2011, 06:56:06 AM »
Edit: Also, good news on the Brohoster thing! "It has been confirmed, they are shutting down, however customers will get refunds and backups will be made available to download." So it's only a matter of time until you're able to retrieve the map or specific bits of it, if you'd like!
That would be nice. Hopefully, it will have it all saved (or at least a good chunk of it, including EES cause that's just plain awesome) I'll have my diamond back too! At least I hope. We'll see what happens. :ohdear:
I figured out how to play midi in games with a different device on Win7 ^^
TF2 Backpack
Embodiment of Scarlet Hair English Patch is almost completed.
^ I didn't forget about this. I don't know what you're talking about. >_>

CadrinHaverit

« Reply #293 on: July 29, 2011, 07:02:09 AM »
(uhhh, I kind of missed that new edit)
A NEW HOPE!
And you know what that means? We can have the lame lighthouse AND the new projects I came up with earlier today!...

...no, wait, I won't have enough space near the lighthouse, people have built around it too densely...

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-
 :colonveeplusalpha:

I am still optimistic about the message Eraiya delivered us, though.

« Reply #294 on: July 29, 2011, 07:08:56 AM »
Regarding backups.. I'm not sure if we ever made any. I never got around to making them, and I don't know if Stuffman did either. I'm still kicking myself on not backing up the server after completing the Sigma... Events unfold like this:

Complete Sigma -> Post photos -> plan to do backup when I wake up -> wake up and investigate theft and griefing at Cadmas's place -> Work -> bullshit with BSoD after work -> sleep -> Brohoster implodes.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback, everyone . Please wait warmly while the my reply brick of text is being smelted. :V

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #295 on: July 29, 2011, 07:13:52 AM »

While this is the claim that has been made, the Brohoster website is completely gone, and it disappeared with zero warning. You'll also note that the message claims "4-6 weeks" which is too long to get a refund via paypal. It's almost assuredly bullshit. Former employees are saying the CEO (who forcefully replaced the original founder of the company) basically just took the money and ran. However, the map data is apparently still on SoftLayer's servers, so they are trying to recover that.

We're the lucky ones here; I only signed on for one month and didn't take any of the extended plans, so after about half a month of service me and Strafe are only out about $10 each. There are people that had annual plans with a full year in advance paid, and they'll likely never get that money back!

As far as a new server goes, I can't remember if I've asked this already or not, but can either of you handle hosting the server on your computer? If not, does anyone here have a computer strong enough to host a server? If anyone does, one amazing upside of doing so is having access to adding any plugin to your server that you see fit, at any time you want!
I'm sure my computer can handle it both in terms of hardware and internet connection, but we're talking about a home computer here; uptime would be wildly inconsistent. And I kinda need to use my computer for other things :V

Also geez chill out I promise our next server will be able to handle things like Phoenix, I was surprised when I found out Brohoster couldn't :colbert:

Eraiya

« Reply #296 on: July 29, 2011, 07:26:59 AM »
While this is the claim that has been made, the Brohoster website is completely gone, and it disappeared with zero warning. You'll also note that the message claims "4-6 weeks" which is too long to get a refund via paypal. It's almost assuredly bullshit. Former employees are saying the CEO (who forcefully replaced the original founder of the company) basically just took the money and ran. There are people that had annual plans with a full year in advance paid, and they'll likely never get that money back!

Damn. Here's to hoping he faces some legal action for this.

Also geez chill out I promise our next server will be able to handle things like Phoenix, I was surprised when I found out Brohoster couldn't :colbert:

Heh, sorry, I'm just dying to play on a server with some plugins like that one for the first time in months!

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
« Reply #297 on: July 29, 2011, 07:32:24 AM »
On that note, can't we simply have more than one dimension, like in DDR's, so both those who want more and less vanilla have their little space?

Server load aside, I'm afraid this would split the group apart, but it's an idea
                                                                                   .

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #298 on: July 29, 2011, 08:10:21 AM »
Brohoster is not BRO :ohdear:

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #299 on: July 29, 2011, 08:29:07 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JivOG7aNTw
We need a blockey arena, and league matches.