Author Topic: Miscellaneous Questions 7 - To Misc or not to Misc  (Read 136739 times)

Re: Miscellaneous Questions 7 - To Misc or not to Misc
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2017, 12:40:13 AM »
I also feel like the stage fairies popping up everywhere might not be canon...
Spoiler:
in HSiFS Okina and everyone seems pretty surprised the cirno, a simple fairy, could somehow make it to the world of back doors....

Despite the fact that stage ex has plenty of them, and stage 6 has one of its 2 enemy types be giant fairies.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 01:16:23 AM by TresserT »
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.
I've cleared every touhou game on Lunatic, and beaten every extra except SoEW.
NMNB: MoF Hard, SA Extra, UFO Extra

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
  • Spin like there's no tomorrow
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2017, 12:53:39 AM »
Huh, you know, that IS a pretty big oversight on Zun's part, considering that he went through the trouble of not having fairies as enemies in the Moon Capital during stage 4 of LoLK.

Well, it's Zun we're talking about so :V
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs
Despite the name, it's mostly 3D models.

My fanfics.

« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2017, 01:04:22 AM »
There's a difference between a fairy making it into the world of back doors, and fairies who were born there and never left. I mean, even Hell has its own native fairies, so there's no reason to believe fairies can't spontaneously pop into exist in an alternate dimension. Okina could've easily recognized Cirno as an outsider from the door on her back as well as Mai's report.

« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2017, 01:16:46 AM »
Ooooh true, I didn't consider that.
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.
I've cleared every touhou game on Lunatic, and beaten every extra except SoEW.
NMNB: MoF Hard, SA Extra, UFO Extra

« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2017, 05:54:26 PM »
Speaking of HSiFS plot points, I was thinking earlier:  If it was Okina/Satono/Mai's doing that made people from Gensokyo get their power boosts (including, technically, the protagonists with their seasonal options), why'd they bother empowering Aya?

As a Tengu, and therefore an enemy of Okina, I can't see them giving her power on purpose.  Did they just make it so _everyone_ would be empowered by the incident, or is there something I'm missing here?

PK

• Border of Whatever
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2017, 07:40:49 PM »
They also empowered Larva despite her supposedly being one of Okina's enemies (or even just a symbol of that enemy), and they said to have made it to "absolutely everyone", which leads to my question: do they literally have to dance behind people to do that, one at a time, or would they be able to do it in grand scale? Otherwise how long would it take to do that to everyone?

Also, i wonder if the superpowerful enemy in AoCF is that strong because of this?

« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2017, 09:54:01 PM »
Okina ordered them to power up everyone, so they did.

« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2017, 09:03:58 AM »
Thinking back on LoLK's plot, what -would- Junko do if she got her hands on Chang'e anyway?

I mean, Chang'e's immortal, so shooting her down wouldn't even really have much of a consequence.

Kind of feels like it's the same 'revenge' ideal that Mokou has for Kaguya. 

Lt Colonel Summers

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Do not mess with a soldier
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2017, 09:14:52 AM »
Thinking back on LoLK's plot, what -would- Junko do if she got her hands on Chang'e anyway?

I mean, Chang'e's immortal, so shooting her down wouldn't even really have much of a consequence.

Kind of feels like it's the same 'revenge' ideal that Mokou has for Kaguya.

Torment Chang'E for the rest of her life?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 09:31:01 PM by Purji Costavis »
There's nothing inscribed on the dog tag...

« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2017, 07:56:16 PM »
In IN why did the main heroines need to stop the night in order to stop Kaguya and Eirin? Why was it necessary to begin with?
1CC Easy: UFO , MOF, PCB, DDC, GFW, POFV, TD, IN, SA, 1CC Normal: MOF, DDC, IN, POFV, PCB, TD, EOSD, HSIFS
Extra Mode: Ran Yakumo, Okina Matara

Drake

« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2017, 09:28:07 PM »
in order to have the time mechanic

Really though the main reason is that it would have only been a full moon on that night; the next night would have not been full. Sure, they stop the night because if they took too long they'd miss the moon, but there isn't actually any reason to write the story so that they would take that long. Instead it's written so that you can get the Normal ending and have to set back out again later (which is fine because you stopped the night), and then get the Good ending when Kaguya realizes you've stopped the night and puts an end to it. So in that sense stopping the night is the strange justification for being able to have two final stages intended to be on the same night.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 09:31:06 PM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2017, 11:24:19 AM »
A question that recently struck me hard:
Where the humans and youkai of Gensokyo go after death?
It is like a free market, where all three Higan, Netherworld and Hell are competing for souls?
Because I can't think of anything else.

« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2017, 11:38:55 AM »
A question that recently struck me hard:
Where the humans and youkai of Gensokyo go after death?
It is like a free market, where all three Higan, Netherworld and Hell are competing for souls?
Because I can't think of anything else.

I'm pretty sure that when someone dies, he goes to Higan to be ferried to the Yama, where the soul gets judged. After that, he either goes to Hell or to Heaven, i think the netherworld act as some sort of purgatory where the souls go when they are waiting for reincarnation ( as i recall some characters lying about heaven being crowded ).

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
  • Spin like there's no tomorrow
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2017, 09:29:04 PM »
I'm pretty sure that when someone dies, he goes to Higan to be ferried to the Yama, where the soul gets judged. After that, he either goes to Hell or to Heaven, i think the netherworld act as some sort of purgatory where the souls go when they are waiting for reincarnation ( as i recall some characters lying about heaven being crowded ).
Pretty much that. The only correction to be made is that the Netherworld is actually where people that weren't deemed good enough to go to Heaven but weren't bad enough to go to Hell are sent. They remain there until they either achieve Nirvana or reincarnate, though achieving Nirvana is currently restricted because of the "heaven is full" lie that the celestials spread.

It's kinda relevant to remember that even souls that go to Heaven and Hell are bound to reincarnate eventually, by the way. The souls in the Netherworld aren't unique on that account.
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs
Despite the name, it's mostly 3D models.

My fanfics.

MANoBadAssGar Jr.

• look at dat pose, look at dat face
  • GARDORABLE!
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2017, 10:52:44 PM »
What reason Seiran and Ringo stay on Gensokyo ?
Aren't they afraid of becoming like Udongein ? or they actually unaware of that ?

« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2017, 11:35:59 PM »
What reason Seiran and Ringo stay on Gensokyo ?
Aren't they afraid of becoming like Udongein ? or they actually unaware of that ?

Probably because rabbits are treated like slaves by the Lunarians. They don't care about impurity either.

MANoBadAssGar Jr.

• look at dat pose, look at dat face
  • GARDORABLE!
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2017, 12:03:08 AM »
Though just probability it kind of make sense.

I actually want to ask again why Seiran selling Dango instead of Mochi but i will hold back for now. i will just imagine it as "I'll beat you on yo stage, mofo!".

Lollipop

• stay woke
  • literally and figuratively dying
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2017, 04:41:06 AM »
does it snow in gensokyo question mark
Touhou 1CCS:
Hard: LLS, EoSD(NB), PCB(NB), IN, MoF, TD, DDC(NB), LoLK
Lunatic: EoSD, PCB, DDC, LoLK
Extra: LLS, EoSD, PCB(Extra&Phantasm), IN, MoF, SA, DDC, LoLK
Current Focus: 1cc SA Hard, or an Extra

« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2017, 05:36:46 AM »
does it snow in gensokyo question mark
Perfect Cherry Blossom happened literally because it wouldn't stop snowing.

Lollipop

• stay woke
  • literally and figuratively dying
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2017, 07:17:29 AM »
Perfect Cherry Blossom happened literally because it wouldn't stop snowing.

good point, lol i'm dumb  :V
Touhou 1CCS:
Hard: LLS, EoSD(NB), PCB(NB), IN, MoF, TD, DDC(NB), LoLK
Lunatic: EoSD, PCB, DDC, LoLK
Extra: LLS, EoSD, PCB(Extra&Phantasm), IN, MoF, SA, DDC, LoLK
Current Focus: 1cc SA Hard, or an Extra

Jeremie

• MoonScraper
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2017, 07:47:17 AM »
I sort of (jokingly) think that it's always Winter in Gensokyo. This is primary because each time I look at all those chapters from the various manga series, Winter and snow are often present.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by Rumia.

Drake

« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2017, 08:29:46 AM »
ZUN puts a very significant amount of effort into making all of his works accurate to the season in terms of the environments, character designs, subject matter, dialogue, everything. Many pieces are focused on extremely specific items relevant to that time of the year just because that's what he figured would be interesting to write about. If you try to pay attention to this it's absolutely everywhere, even down to just having a single line that establishes it's indeed the time of year it's intended to be. I can't even recall one work where the time of year is not appropriate (when works are released is a different matter, although typically this is either due to delays or intentional out-of-order events). Please appreciate.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 08:36:09 AM by Drake »

« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2017, 06:07:47 PM »
Yes, if you read the manga regularly, you'll notice that they almost always go out of their way to establish a season within the first couple of pages. And that's exactly the season they were released in.

« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2017, 10:35:16 PM »
I suppose that also would explain why so many games take place during either Summer or Spring, huh?   Sure there's a few games that break the rule (MoF, SA), but it's still interesting to note. 

If I remember correctly, August is in Summer in Japan.

« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2017, 01:21:50 AM »
The games always come out in summer Comiket, so that doesn't really mean much. You just have to look for seasonal clues in the games themselves. Although we only learn in WaHH that HSiFS takes place in summer.

« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2017, 01:25:14 AM »
I believe the prologue also mentions it's midsummer, actually!

« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2017, 08:51:31 PM »
* Sorry for the double post! *

I keep reading sources (apparently even ZUN said it in an interview, once too) that Yoshika is a Chinese Jiang-shi, but isn't she based on a Japanese poet?  Why's there this discrepancy between her nationality?

Prime32

• Munch-Munch Demon
« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2017, 09:49:05 PM »
* Sorry for the double post! *

I keep reading sources (apparently even ZUN said it in an interview, once too) that Yoshika is a Chinese Jiang-shi, but isn't she based on a Japanese poet?  Why's there this discrepancy between her nationality?
There is no discrepancy. Seiga is a Chinese woman who knows spells for creating jiangshi, and she used them on a Japanese corpse.

« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2017, 10:29:20 PM »
That's what I think so too, but I've heard Yoshika being described as Chinese before, not to mention ZUN himself mentioning it in his Chara Febri interview about the TD roster, which, despite being full of typos apparently, still states:

"Yoshika Miyako: There is obviously some similarity here as she is a Chinese Stage 3 boss, like Hong Meiling.[...]"

Maybe he actually meant she looked Chinese like Meiling?  I don't understand japanese nor do I have the original interview's text with me, but this sentence in particular was what prompted me to ask the question.

Drake

« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2017, 11:34:09 PM »
Q: So did the fact that Yoshika is a jiangshi make designing her easier?
Z: Yes, it did. As well her pose.
Q: It was more or less settled right away.
Z: I just had to make her Chinese.

He just started with the concept of her being a jiangshi, and so her design is distinctively Chinese. The question's context was that for most of the characters ZUN didn't have easy motifs to go off of for the designs and whatnot, but Kyouko and Yoshika were exceptions. The part about Meiling was just noting that they're both Chinese-influenced stage 3 bosses and ZUN kind of made it that way on purpose.