Author Topic: Things not to do if you do not want to not piss me off  (Read 44889 times)

Whatthe

• Formerly known as "Only somewhat distracted"
  • Still distracted
Re: Things not to do if you do not want to piss me off
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2011, 09:50:40 PM »
You can always try it with your w-lan cable instead.
Or, better yet, try it with a Denon AKDL1 Dedicated Link Cable.

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2011, 09:56:28 PM »
I hate that shit.  You want handsfree, use a headset.

I wish more people would do that. I almost got run over last night by some lady yammering away on the phone, only 1 hand on the wheel...

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2011, 10:01:21 PM »
I wish more people would do that. I almost got run over last night by some lady yammering away on the phone, only 1 hand on the wheel...

I trust handsfree on the roads about as much as I trust people with one hand holding the phone.

People are dumb and get distracted no matter what they're doing.  Require an idiot to use a bluetooth headset and they'll fumble with it trying to get it turned on and hooked to their ear instead of screwing with the phone itself.

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2011, 10:05:38 PM »
I suppose that's true. I still feel like it'd prevent a few accidents if people kept both hands on the wheel, though. :\

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2011, 10:23:20 PM »
Could mean that the window stays on the topmost layer, no matter which other window you are clicking, like it is with some error messages.  :derp:

I think it was an error message. Thinking back, it struck me as odd because it was never described like an error message, such as "little gray square" or anything.

But yeah, the Grans have a way of creating new and exciting computer jargon I have to ask like a paragraph worthy of questions to dissect.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2011, 10:25:26 PM »
I am curious, how do you deal with the varied lexicons people come up with to describe things? I have found my Grans, in their weekly "Why isn't this working?" report, have developed a number of ways to talk about what they don't understand.

"I tried to download this website" <---Clicked a link
"It keeps coming up in front" <---I don't even remember.
Oh that stuff doesn't bother me, I can figure it out pretty quickly what they mean and it's actually kind of funny and cute sometimes.  Like I had a call where she kept on saying she couldn't get Excel to work, and I remote in and I open up Excel and I'm like umm it's working.  She meant she couldn't get to her network share where all her Excel files were at.

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Byaaakuren

• Youkai Jesus, Queen of the Monks
    • Animu List
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2011, 10:39:24 PM »
* Railgun hides in a corner after seeing an angry TSO
:ohdear:

What I like is how some people ask me questions regarding stuff such as
"So, are we allowed graphing calculators?"
"How many exams are there?"
"What's your grading policy?"
etc. (I don't remember any others and I really don't want to dig through my inbox for them)

All of them have the same answer: "It's on the syllabus." Doesn't sound like much, but imagine getting those questions from 15 people.

I thank my friend for the sig <3
My noob replays :V
Tumblr (I post NSFW stuff there)

Omba

• ねえ...
  • 君の首...おいしそう
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2011, 10:54:10 PM »
I once wrote instructions on how to extract zip files attached to an email for my mother. And then she still asked me how to do it every other time, even after I slowly showed her multiple times.
Had no problems figuring out Facebook on her own, though.  :colonveeplusalpha:

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2011, 10:59:25 PM »
You can always try it with your w-lan cable instead.
You mean the big telephone cable?  I don't got one of those I always got on linkskey.  Oh I don't have a router I just thought it got internet automatically.

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2011, 11:11:38 PM »
At some point your frustration will become reality-warping, and you'll be able to hang yourself with a wireless phone cord.

Drake

« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2011, 11:42:31 PM »
take one end of cord and lay it straight down to a length, curve it back to your starting point, then back down again
then wrap it around the two lines you've made so you have a small loop at the bottom
continue wrapping the cord around the three lines spiraling upwards until you hit the top
take the two cord ends in one hand, take the loop in the other, pull tight

wait why do i know this

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2011, 01:21:16 AM »
:handsetstuff:
Honestly?I agree with you on everything. People should use bluetooth or even wired sets when driving, always.
Some dickhead judge here decided it was cool to outlaw them too, though.
Didn't change a damn thing except people stopped feeling the need to buy bluetooth sets, now all they have to do is hide the phone when they see police.

Way to go.
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

Byaaakuren

• Youkai Jesus, Queen of the Monks
    • Animu List
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2011, 01:28:19 AM »
...here's one that got me pissed off at a student (a year ago):

This person missed the second in-class exam (the only one she missed), and it was nearing the end of the semester. She wasn't doing too well so I decided to be nice and let her take it. I scheduled it on a day I was off at a specific time. She even agreed to the date and time. I got there about half an hour early. The appointed time came, and she didn't show up. I figured she'd be late so I checked my email just in case. Nothing. Half an hour later, didn't show up. No email. Another half an hour later later, nothing. Then I decided to leave, and was expecting an email later that night. Guess what? No email. The week after, it was time for the final exam. She was there, waiting to take the final. Right after she hands in the exam, she asked me to let her take the second exam. She had the guts to ask for a make-up exam 2. I was surprised when she requested to take it. After making me wait without any notice the week before, did she really expect me to be nice about it again? If she sent me an email why she didn't show up, I would've understood but she sent me nothing in regards to why she wasn't there. Of course, I denied it.

Seriously, if an appointment with me is made, SHOW THE FUCK UP OR AT LEAST LET ME KNOW IF YOU'LL BE LATE/CAN'T MAKE IT.

(*I don't remember what I did to have the patience to wait an hour. I should've left after half an hour*)

I thank my friend for the sig <3
My noob replays :V
Tumblr (I post NSFW stuff there)

Aba Matindesu!

• keep it gwiyoming
  • DASEU RAESISSEU
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2011, 03:14:17 AM »
This thread makes me not want to work as a call center agent anymore ._.

teets mi hao 2 2hu teets mi teets mi hao 2 2hu

« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2011, 04:05:45 AM »
It's because of seeing nightmare stories like this that I never look back on my decision to take library science instead of computer science. Handling people when they're in a good mood is hard enough for me...

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2011, 04:48:10 AM »
And you guys wonder how I tolerate running you gaggle of misfits :V

Tamashii Kanjou

• If you didn't quite already know...
  • I am the leader of TCF <3
    • TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2011, 04:52:02 AM »
It's probably because deep down you love us all so much....

That or you're not telling us about some sort of secret contract that's keeping you tied here.  :derp:

HolmCross

• Sad Robot
  • Is not a gun
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2011, 04:52:27 AM »
TSO, when are you, me, and the other IT types all going out drinking and trading Nam-esque war stories?

^^^This. Although I cannot imagine the ungodly levels of boozeahol that would be required.

I've been working on a tech support desk for about 3 years now. The job's easy and the pay is good, but it lowers your overall opinion of humanity somewhat. However when you get a competent and intelligent client they shine all the brighter. My pet hate - having to refer to the computer as the "hard drive" every single day. God, I hate myself every time I say it. But you have to, otherwise they just turn the monitor on and off when I ask the client to reboot. Kinda goes like this every. single. day:

"Okay, sounds like the computer is frozen. Can you hold down the power button on the computer for 10 secs until it shuts down and then turn it back on?"
"That was too quick, are you still on the same screen?"
"That was the monitor, can you press the button on the tower? The hard drive? I know the screen is going dark, but it's not resetting the computer"
My mouth is not so much a communications tool as an exhaust port for my brain.

Twitter | Steam | Seek your own Wonderland

HolmCross

• Sad Robot
  • Is not a gun
« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2011, 04:55:40 AM »
That or you're not telling us about some sort of secret contract that's keeping you tied here.  :derp:

Kinda makes you wonder what was traded in return?
My mouth is not so much a communications tool as an exhaust port for my brain.

Twitter | Steam | Seek your own Wonderland

Agent of the BSoD

• Takeminakata Invocation
  • Never forget
« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2011, 05:37:14 AM »
How about this, which I just found a little while ago.
I wonder if this has happened to anyone yet?
I figured out how to play midi in games with a different device on Win7 ^^
TF2 Backpack
Embodiment of Scarlet Hair English Patch is almost completed.
^ I didn't forget about this. I don't know what you're talking about. >_>

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2011, 10:21:30 AM »
"I didn't know it was homework so I didn't do it  so you can't mark me off :derp:"

Oh really?  I only announced it 3 times in class, posted it on the course website (with the packet in case you lost it!) and had the foresight to include this at the top.

Aba Matindesu!

• keep it gwiyoming
  • DASEU RAESISSEU
« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2011, 10:41:45 AM »

I call name-change to "Ms. Fit", "Ms. Creant", et cetera.

teets mi hao 2 2hu teets mi teets mi hao 2 2hu

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2011, 01:16:51 PM »
I call name-change to "Ms. Fit", "Ms. Creant", et cetera.

And now you know why Tso won't gave me the power to change names.

Also, I imagine a gathering of the text support peoples would be like "How I almost got him" episode of Batman the Animated Series. Complete with MJP declaring "I threw a rock at him!"

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2011, 01:37:24 PM »
Par for the course in journalism:

"Yes, sure, I'd love to have you interview me. Let's meet at X date/time, at my place."

Things go well. Subject A - an internationally known politician - is chatty as all hell, but I keep the conversation on topic with the strength normally used to steer tugboats through hurricanes. And they always say a chatty interview is better than having to wring every single word out of someone.

At the interview's conclusion: "Oh, can you send me a copy of this?"

One of the maddening things about journalism in this country is that people often expect to get to see a copy of their interview for approval. If they don't approve it, we'll print it anyway, but with the disclosure that this is an "unauthorized" interview - yes, even if we have the entire thing recorded. We've uploaded .mp3s of interviews before for this very reason, but the hassle is so great that we usually just let them read the damn interview, if they ask.

"Sure, I'll send it over tonight."

Typing up the Q&A from the dictophone, I email it immediately, and receive a reply a few minutes later. "This is too long. Can you trim it some?"

Keep in mind this politician is expected to read legislation that can be upwards of 50,000 words, and I've just sent an 1,800 word interview. I trim it to 1,500, and send it back.

"This is still a little on the long side. Can you trim it some more?"

My response? "No. I'm dropping the interview. Best of luck in all your endeavors."

Now this politician has blanked us out, doesn't acknowledge me in the street, and still pretends to be "fighting for the people" and whatever.

I wish I could say this didn't happen often, but it does - people who need the publicity, even from journalists who are on their side, essentially biting the hand trying to feed them because of their own ego and vanity.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2011, 01:49:45 PM »

Because you love us!!! <3

(That didn't sound hypocrite at all from my end)

But did you get this kind of people everyday TSO? Must be pretty damn annoying.

XephyrEnigma

• :|
  • XephyrEnigma
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2011, 01:57:53 PM »
How about this, which I just found a little while ago.

It amazes me how some people actually think like that, when they don't know how viruses work. In time, they'll all learn.
Iced-Fairy: "Danmaku is like soccer, except instead of hooligans you get fairies and the riot is before the game." 

My YouTube channel where I often screw about - Latest Upload: IN Border Team Easy Clear

Menorah Jams, Pham

• I'm allergic to sushi. Everytime I eat more than 80 sushis, I barf
  • donde esta la biblioteca
« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2011, 03:25:54 PM »
 :V "Can you install Solitaire on my computer?  It really helps me concentrate!" 
 :smug: "Sure, lemme take a crack at it."
*log about 20 minutes of getting some water, and having a bowel movement that was more productive than anything these people do all day*
:smug: "It looks like this is going to take longer than I anticipated - we'll have to redownload the XP installer CD.  Since that might take some time, I'll have to make a project of it.  When's your boss free to discuss this?"

Awwww yeeeeah.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2011, 03:30:10 PM »
LOL yeah Ashland decided to pull Solitaire and the other games from the new image we're deploying on machines and lots of people got pissed at us over it.  I dunno how many calls I got asking where Solitaire and FreeCell are and having all sorts of indignant looks and language thrown at me

Menorah Jams, Pham

• I'm allergic to sushi. Everytime I eat more than 80 sushis, I barf
  • donde esta la biblioteca
« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2011, 03:49:10 PM »
Oh, she's my second case ever to do Solitaire and both are still active in my queue.  One is a billed-hourly user and it's the lowest possible priority we can assign, and this one person is literally checking with her manager as to ensuring it's OK for us to install Solitaire.  Oh, to be a fly on the wall. 

« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2011, 04:27:41 PM »
LOL yeah Ashland decided to pull Solitaire and the other games from the new image we're deploying on machines and lots of people got pissed at us over it.  I dunno how many calls I got asking where Solitaire and FreeCell are and having all sorts of indignant looks and language thrown at me

I hate Solitaire so much. It makes me cry when I see someone playing it :ohdear: