Author Topic: Keep reading the news!  (Read 64907 times)

MayKissingDoveWyks

• I can't stop being a perv!
Re: Keep reading the news!
« Reply #330 on: February 13, 2011, 03:48:10 PM »
Goddamn I love science.

Wait, does this mean that the 1TB HDD I just ordered is tiny? Damnit...

Now you just got to keep tabs on those bacteria, if you can...

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #331 on: February 13, 2011, 04:45:00 PM »
In b4 people insert USB ports on their own bodies.

« Reply #332 on: February 13, 2011, 06:02:34 PM »
:o

Storing data in... bacteria? Now that was unexpected.
No so much for me because my Dad is always going on about how technology has to move towards biology in order to advance :V

dustyjo

« Reply #333 on: February 13, 2011, 06:15:37 PM »
And in other news which surprises no-one, Fox News is retarded.

Carol Lieberman, a psychologist and book author, told FoxNews.com that sexual situations and acts in video games -- highlighted so well in Bulletstorm -- have led to real-world sexual violence.

THERE ARE NO SEX SCENES IN THIS GAME, WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT.

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
« Reply #334 on: February 13, 2011, 06:22:54 PM »
I love how they always bash the games because they could do damage to children for whom the game is not intended and that should not be playing it. Responsible parenting anyone?
Yeah, I'm aware it can at times be hard to keep in check what a child is subjected to due to friends etc., but some people really should stop acting like the guys who make a game for a mature audience are the bad ones if a kid plays it. As if a developer had anything to do with who plays the game in the end  ::)

« Reply #335 on: February 13, 2011, 06:28:53 PM »
Also there's always the view that "Video Games are just for kids" that some adults seem to hold, so they never pay attention to it until something comes up and surprises them.

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #336 on: February 13, 2011, 06:32:08 PM »
Yeah, about that Fox News article...

Basically, the entire thing is a hackjob.

« Reply #337 on: February 13, 2011, 06:35:44 PM »
Fox News is a hackjob.
:oBREAKING NEWS :o

Edible

« Reply #338 on: February 13, 2011, 06:36:38 PM »
:getdown:

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #339 on: February 13, 2011, 06:36:52 PM »
Yeah, about that Fox News article...

Oh, the good old "edit a quote till it means something completely different than what was originally said". I always feel bad for the people who have that done to their words and then have to deal with the resulting uproar >_<

« Reply #340 on: February 13, 2011, 06:38:48 PM »
We're really hoping John Brandon's never heard of Duke Nukem Forever.
:getdown: :getdown: :getdown: :getdown: :getdown:

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #341 on: February 13, 2011, 06:39:54 PM »

Everything at FOX News is a hackjob. I'm not normally one to put a lot of stock in what an anonymous source says about the inner workings of a news station, but this person knows a lot more about Fox than someone from the outside would know.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Edible

« Reply #342 on: February 13, 2011, 06:42:53 PM »
Everything at FOX News is a hackjob. I'm not normally one to put a lot of stock in what an anonymous source says about the inner workings of a news station, but this person knows a lot more about Fox than someone from the outside would know.

Oh, man.

What if Fox News staffers aren't instinctively conservative or don't have an intuitive feeling for what the spin on a story should be? "My internal compass was to think like an intolerant meathead," the source explains. "You could never error on the side of not being intolerant enough."

This is comedy gold.

« Reply #343 on: February 13, 2011, 06:45:13 PM »
laughingrepublicans.jpg

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #344 on: February 13, 2011, 07:00:19 PM »
Don't these people know that fraudsters end up in the penultimate circle of hell?  ::)
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

« Reply #345 on: February 13, 2011, 07:16:42 PM »
Don't these people know that fraudsters end up in the penultimate circle of hell?  ::)
When life gives you lemons you FIND A NEW GOD

Conqueror

• Here I am, dirty and faceless
  • waiting to heed your instruction
« Reply #346 on: February 13, 2011, 08:21:36 PM »
Egypt's military has dissolved parliament and suspended the constitution...the country's Supreme Council of Armed Forces announced on Sunday that it would remain in charge of the country for six months until a new government is formed.
http://english.aljazeera.net/news/middleeast/2011/02/2011213132610927713.html

On tue un homme, on est un assassin. On tue des millions d'hommes, on est un conqu?rant. On les tue tous, on est un dieu.
Every saint has a past and every sinner a future.

dustyjo

« Reply #347 on: February 13, 2011, 11:08:39 PM »
My grandparents watch Fox News religiously, and I am thoroughly ashamed.

Egypt's military has dissolved parliament and suspended the constitution...the country's Supreme Council of Armed Forces announced on Sunday that it would remain in charge of the country for six months until a new government is formed.

Ah, that's good...I think.

Tengukami

« Reply #348 on: February 13, 2011, 11:15:59 PM »
Armies who assume control of countries have a tendency to want to stay in power. Welp, let's hope it turns out different this time around.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #349 on: February 13, 2011, 11:26:09 PM »
Much as I'd love to post a link to that on the Book of Face, I'd first like to hear what you know about the reputability of this site.

« Reply #350 on: February 13, 2011, 11:32:28 PM »
And then on the other side of things, apparently Mubarak has fallen extremely ill.

MayKissingDoveWyks

« Reply #351 on: February 13, 2011, 11:34:30 PM »

All news corps are hacks all the time except the business ones at some point.

Which is why some of us don't bother reading or watching the news anymore...

Tengukami

« Reply #352 on: February 13, 2011, 11:36:12 PM »
Much as I'd love to post a link to that on the Book of Face, I'd first like to hear what you know about the reputability of this site.

The story source, Media Matters, is a well-respected media watchdog group. The Fox insider spoke to them directly.

All news corps are hacks all the time except the business ones at some point.

Which is why some of us don't bother reading or watching the news anymore...

Incorrect. There are a number of reputable news sites. It's not rocket science to gauge the veracity of a news source; just look at their track record.

But if you don't want to bother following the news, that's your choice.

MayKissingDoveWyks

« Reply #353 on: February 13, 2011, 11:54:31 PM »
Incorrect. There are a number of reputable news sites. It's not rocket science to gauge the veracity of a news source; just look at their track record.

It completely depends on who you're asking though. But I'm done on this discussion.

Tengukami

« Reply #354 on: February 13, 2011, 11:58:32 PM »
It completely depends on who you're asking though. But I'm done on this discussion.

Whether you're done or not, your response brings up an important point about reading the news.

It is possible to verify how truthful a news source is by looking at their track record. How many stories did they break? How many stories proved untrue? If so, why? If a news source has a good track record on the truthfulness of their reporting, then that's a source you can trust.

Seriously, this notion that "they all lie, so there's no point following the news" is lazy, over-simplistic, and inaccurate. There are good news sources, and testing how good they are is surprisingly simple.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 12:00:06 AM by Tengukami »

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #355 on: February 14, 2011, 08:24:29 AM »
And then on the other side of things, apparently Mubarak has fallen extremely ill.
Article based on a French online-newspaper which claims to have its info from an Egyptian source that is not even linked? And no other place has picked up that news? Not even a German one, for which it would be relevant? Yeah no, they're making stuff up there >_>

Iced Fairy

• So like if you try to hurt alkaza
  • I will set you on fire k'?
    • Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #356 on: February 14, 2011, 08:56:02 PM »
Seriously, this notion that "they all lie, so there's no point following the news" is lazy, over-simplistic, and inaccurate. There are good news sources, and testing how good they are is surprisingly simple.
I've always figured this was the other half of the hack job being done on democracy.  "Everyone's lying, don't read the news.  All politicians are the same, don't vote.  Your voice won't be heard so it doesn't matter."

It's a malaise that seems to affect all the youth in my area, and it annoys me to no end, because if they all stopped whining about how nothing could be changed and actually tried to change something they'd have enough numbers to do it.  Heck, if everyone who complained about how the parties didn't represent them turned in a blank ballot they'd change the path of the parties.  But that would require people to write their names down I guess....

Tengukami

« Reply #357 on: February 14, 2011, 08:58:35 PM »
Precisely, and I see plenty of people in comfortable Western democracies looking at Egypt right now, wondering the same thing - what if we did like that? Do we even have it in us? I sometimes wonder.

E-Nazrin

• .... what're you looking at?
  • fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #358 on: February 14, 2011, 09:24:50 PM »
Hey, at least Britain has riots.
There was something here once. Wonder what...

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #359 on: February 14, 2011, 09:46:46 PM »
And Canada had that "peaceful" G20 protest.