Author Topic: How would you react to men in Touhou  (Read 110624 times)

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
How would you react to men in Touhou
« on: February 08, 2010, 10:54:17 AM »
I'm curious what the general reaction would be if zun suddenly added men to Touhou. I don't mean the type that don't really affect much like rinnosuke. But playing major roles in the series, some bosses, maybe a final boss, maybe even a playable character.

As a touhou fan, I find it difficult to get friends to try and take the games seriously with it being female dominated. I know when I first heard that the game had nothing but girls and fairies I DID consider trying a different game instead. But I didn't, and now that I AM hooked on Touhou, I LIKE the estrogen overload.

I personally would be extremely dissapointed if zun started adding some men to the cast. But maybe it would turn out fine, I thought an all female cast was pretty dumb to begin with as well. Still though my reaction would definately be along the lines of "WTF!".

Furienify

• Yeehaw!
  • Equestrian Fansubber
    • Youtube Channel
Re: How would you react to men in Touhou
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 10:58:04 AM »
He'll be a gay man.

I know it.
And he better be hot.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 11:09:37 AM »
Crap, I meant to mention that they wouldn't be traps... Gay non traps would be fine though...err I mean would be what I'm talking about.

Firestorm29

• Lily White Mage
  • Spring Time is Healing Time~
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 11:20:07 AM »
I suppose for me, it really more depends on what kinds of a man is added in, or more like boy would be more appropriate. Much like how Touhou girls aren't like Bratz, I suspose I'd like to see something not like Rambo for a man or boy, depends on how he decides to draw it.

Kinzo the Astro Curious

• One small step for Desu; One giant leap for touhou-kind!
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 11:36:17 AM »
Maybe as a spin off with manly characters and manly danmaku.

Bring it on, Youki konpaku!

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 12:41:42 PM »
"Finally!"

He should add Buront.

Mounting Jaggis

• It's a dinosaur rodeo!
  • Yeee haww!
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 12:43:59 PM »
In his UFO interview he originally planned Unzan to be a boss by himself

Observer

• Light Bearer
  • Arcanum Infinitum
    • Primum Mobile ~ Doujin Circle
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 01:24:26 PM »
Maybe as a spin off with manly characters and manly danmaku.

Bring it on, Youki konpaku!

THIS. This could work. Would be awesome to see Youki being kickass and firing danmaku+striking sword combos nonstop. As for other men, not so sure. Pretty much anything, including  Lovecraftian horrors, can be lolified so for every man you think, you can make a loli clone out of it. Or a trap. :V

Manly clouds, evil eyes, seals/shields with wings, crazy monks and those freaky things (scary bee-like youkai and others) are fine with me. Surreal mecha fishes are a plus.

But, for manly stuff, I would rather have Crimzon Clover with the "0% moe and 120% explosions" tagline instead.

*WARNING: Apocalyptic mode approaching fast!*

We have to consider that at this stage of the circumstances, any 'conflictive' male that is even attempted to approach any of these homicidal and psycho girls is going to cause an incredible rage (or worse) and sink down the entire doujin ship in the process. Because that way, *insert character* can't be your waifu, etc., etc.

THE END IS NIGH. IT'S WRITTEN IN THE HOLY SCRIPTURES! wwwwatatatatatatata!

RE-BORN INDISCRIMINATE INSTINCT

Slaves

• uHHH,
  • uHHHHHHHHHH,,,
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 02:25:28 PM »
i wouldn't be able to draw them :(

Mounting Jaggis

• It's a dinosaur rodeo!
  • Yeee haww!
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 02:38:21 PM »
Don't worry Slaves, it's like drawing a loli except it's more masculine

Sabino

• Rusted Ruins
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 03:12:18 PM »
Ah, so the guy must be a Shota then!   ...I'm OK with that! lol

People who's genders weren't identified in the Kyusaku can comeback, like Shingyoku.
Since we are still uncertain about stuff like Sariel's gender.
(Although some people say that Angels can be both genders at once...)

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2010, 03:23:14 PM »
A friend and mine are working on a game kind of like that, it's the opposite of Touhou, instead of being vertically scrolling and featuring cute girls, it's horizontally scrolling and features MANLY MEN.

http://img.youtube.com/vi/Lg5rxWhk_Ko/0.jpg

Not only is that image too wide, it's hotlinking as well. Don't do this. ~Matsuri
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 04:55:45 PM by Matsuri »

Slaves

• uHHH,
  • uHHHHHHHHHH,,,
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2010, 03:25:08 PM »

oh, i see!

so, something like this?

Mounting Jaggis

• It's a dinosaur rodeo!
  • Yeee haww!
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2010, 03:27:28 PM »
It's perfect

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2010, 04:14:23 PM »
A friend and mine are working on a game kind of like that, it's the opposite of Touhou, instead of being vertically scrolling and featuring cute girls, it's horizontally scrolling and features MANLY MEN.
Cho Aniki?

...But seriously.  I think in the same UFO interview mentioned above ZUN mentioned, probably half-jokingly, that there was a male he wanted to use instead of Byakuren - but couldn't due to expectation and that it just wouldn't feel right.

...But with that said, I think it actually will occur at some point though, but it won't just be "Oh there's a male boss" - call me crazy, but I think that at some point the matter of men not being seen as combat-worthy will actually be a plot point in a future Touhou game; possibly in a sort of reverse-feminism thing where a small number of men in Gensokyo attempt to stand up for all men and prove themselves as equal to the women who're constantly screwing around with the world and/or being the heroines.  It may even be just one guy (and a subordinate) who decides he wants to cause a major incident just to prove that men can have just as much an impact on Gensokyo as women.

...But yeah.  Males (by themselves) in Touhou would be the kind of thing that I don't see ZUN doing without a plot-important reason reason; evidenced by the fact that he said he developped the hitbox Ichirin so there would be a female aspect to the Unzan fight, even if he wanted the focus to be on Unzan.

Also ZUN would draw shota, not manly men.

I'm totally okay with this.

OkashiiKisei

• Still working on the Grimoire
  • It's all about devotion
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2010, 04:43:24 PM »
Call me stubborn or short sighted, but I really wouldn't like it multiple male characters would come rushing in. Rinnosuke is acceptable because he's a funny and charming character that doesn't mess around much with the actual plot. Being male also makes him unique. A male final boss however would seem extremely out of place. I once played a fangame of Touhou (flash game based on MoF and IN, you'll probably know it), and a male boss popped up as the third boss. An adolescent guy. It felt rather awkward and out of place. The main characters we're also males, but atleast they were cute monsters and furries, not giving the same impact, and females still accompanied them.

I would only accept a male boss if it were a monster or elderly man of some kind, like Unzan. Unzan is freaking awesome, because he's such an imposing figure, and mysteriously fitting among the characters. Youki also fits in the same way.

Conclusion: Touhou must consist mostly of young females, with male monsters and old farts thrown in at several times. I think it's most fitting. A bishonen or shotaro would just seem out of place. Atleast the old farts are badass, and there is a smaller chance they'll get paired up with the female cast (either through appearance and age difference or 'Hot Skitty on Wailord Action' syndrome). Bishonen and shotaro would just honk the spot light, and lure in the demonic scourge known as slash (yaoi) fangirls. *shiver*

KrackoCloud

• I don't mean to be greedy...
  • ... but white rice is my favorite food.
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2010, 05:46:43 PM »
One of these days, it would be cool to see a final boss that's a boy.

But besides that, I'm content with just Rinnosuke.
Unzan, to me, doesn't really count as much. He's awesome, but the fact that he's... Basically under Ichirin as a weapon or something makes him a lot different as a male character.

Toasty

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2010, 05:48:51 PM »
A male or two wouldn't be too bad
Spoiler:
even though ZUN would draw them as lolis in pants

Kuma

• Charismatic grizzly bear
  • 熊 熊 熊
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2010, 06:00:14 PM »
If ZUN started adding more guys to touhou, VIVI, Pozeal, and I would flip
Wotters gonna' wot

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2010, 06:08:32 PM »
I will eat ZUN's liver out of his still-warm body

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Slaves

• uHHH,
  • uHHHHHHHHHH,,,
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2010, 06:23:49 PM »
adding males to Touhou seems like a good idea, but it would lose some of it's charm that way. just like if ZUN hired a professional artist to make all of his art.

and not like the fighting games, i mean like art you find in dating sims and stuff.

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2010, 06:49:38 PM »
It would be nice if the men are these cute little shota traps that make Mode drool.

then I will play it.
Cute boys = traps = lots of fan art = even more publicity for Touhou = profit
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2010, 07:00:39 PM »
If it were in a new game, I would avoid it like the plague.

Alternately, I would play the game specifically so I could beat the shit out of him.

I'm a recovering androphobe okay :<

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2010, 09:29:39 PM »
Can ZUN even draw anything other than lolis?

Kuma

• Charismatic grizzly bear
  • 熊 熊 熊
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2010, 09:31:24 PM »
he can kinda draw turtles
Wotters gonna' wot

Matsuri

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2010, 09:32:37 PM »
and giant cloud spirit men with fists

Grand Octopus

• is approaching fast
  • onegai Zeppy-san
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2010, 09:44:50 PM »
Short answer: badly.

Long answer: very badly.

Bananamatic

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2010, 10:15:46 PM »
he can kinda draw turtles
i like turtles

VIVItheFujoshi

• Blackouts=Makeouts! ;)
  • hohoho~*
    • in devianart
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2010, 10:38:38 PM »
my reaction: OH YEAHHHH! finally! (go to look the art of the new characters, add them to her collection of draws, begin to make pairings and all that)
at least, even if ZUN no has drawn males, he can create music for them (even if he says who is good in it...he composes the Erich song in Seihou, "Magical Girl's Crusade" who he says is awesome!)
I think who he would make another game, different of Touhou but incide the plot (something like the "other things who happen in Gensokyo"...or maybe in the past, before the Hakurei border, or 60 years before our Touhou) maybe in horizontal danmaku style but with the same spellcard system, but with only males...maybe this would explain why Rinnosuke is so misterious (he was like Marisa in the past! or was like Reimu! or...) why Youki is more powerful than Youmu, we can see how is Lord Tenma, why a judeo-cristhian creature like Sariel ends in Makai, the true form of Yuugen Magan, see if Sigma is a machine, an android or a cyborg of a certain lovecrafthian god, Unzan in free days, Namasu in a good day, the pimping father of Marisa (XD)...and new ones too. (ohh yes)
And probably in a year will see some fanarts, an even doujins with this adventures in manly ways, with lots of brofists, bromance...and yaoi doujins, because lately i see lot of good fanart of Rinnosuke made for people who can draw lot of Hetalia pairings...this smell like fujoshis who will discover soon the potencial of RinnosUKE. XD
meanwhile we can dream.
http://vivitheheiwa.deviantart.com/art/Touhou-XY-150706914

Monochrome Rainbow~* Technicolor Ochoufujoshi!
(?y ahora en espa?ol ,yay!) he will be Adequate?

Chaore

• Kai Ni Recipient Many Years Late
  • You Finally Did It, Kadokawa.
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2010, 11:04:35 PM »
First off, I'd have to grudgingly admit defeat to one of my british friends.

'He'll have to' my ass... *Grumble Grumble*

Second off, I'd be somewhat intrigued. I mean, lets be honest. Who are the current men? Rinnosuke, Unzan, And Genji. All awesome in their own right.

He has hit 3/3 with guys so far, much better than his average with women. :V

It'd be a shocker, admittedly, but it could very easily turn out well.

This is coming from someone who thinks Rinnosuke has a tank, though, so.... :V