Author Topic: Touhou Labyrinth discussion thread  (Read 317975 times)

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
Re: Touhou Labyrinth discussion thread
« Reply #90 on: December 07, 2009, 06:28:24 AM »
I think Suwako has more hp than every previous boss combined. Not that she's that hard, but damn, I think her strategy is hoping the power goes out before beating her >=P

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #91 on: December 07, 2009, 07:38:01 AM »
Reimu's attacks, according to the wiki, are...
Attack Power: equal parts MAG and ATK (Both at 150% / 200%)
Defended by: The average of the target's DEF and MND

This means that if someone takes almost no damage from Reimu, it's due to either a really high DEF -and- MND, or, more likely, a high resilience to SPI attacks.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #92 on: December 07, 2009, 07:50:46 AM »
I need to stop being lazy and pay attention to the info on the wiki

Encephlon

« Reply #93 on: December 07, 2009, 08:01:29 AM »
Alice is indeed a powerhouse...  :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgaXpQQVFTs

Milkyway64

• I AM A MAD SCIENTIST. KIND OF.
« Reply #94 on: December 07, 2009, 08:03:56 AM »
I've never seen the wiki. I took basic pointers from a topic here and figured the rest out (balancing stats = huuuuuuge skillpoint cost = no, floor 7 was a wonderful powerleveling session with trial and error exploration, intense strategizing with my best friend to beat Alice... By the way, this friend is playing now too. We're sorta racing through the game, both of us are on floor 12 but I have a slight lead.) I hate spoilers, so I appreciate the hints to finding some of the optional characters posted here.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #95 on: December 07, 2009, 08:11:14 AM »
My progress to gameplay time ratio looks bad :(

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #96 on: December 07, 2009, 08:18:37 AM »
I hate spoilers, so I appreciate the hints to finding some of the optional characters posted here.
This.  Please be careful of posting names of bosses/later characters/etc, as a few are quite a surprise (Especially a certain someone from F18)

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #97 on: December 07, 2009, 08:25:35 AM »
Name future characters as 'Bitch on XX floor'?

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #98 on: December 07, 2009, 08:46:14 AM »
Name future characters as 'Bitch on XX floor'?

That's probably a good idea.  XD Or refer to them by move effects.  Whenever possible, of course - sometimes it just isn't practical @_@

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #99 on: December 07, 2009, 08:51:33 AM »
I keep forgetting to ask this. Characters not in the active team still gain exp right? At a slightly lower rate or something?

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #100 on: December 07, 2009, 09:08:31 AM »
I keep forgetting to ask this. Characters not in the active team still gain exp right? At a slightly lower rate or something?

Characters in the active team gain 100% EXP
Characters in reserve gain 90% EXP
Characters not in the dungeon (Due to 'death' or not being selected) gain 80% EXP

Characters automatically recieve 80% of Reimu's EXP upon joining, so try to make lots of use of her!  (She's awesome anyway)

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #101 on: December 07, 2009, 10:07:09 AM »

I tried looking at it, alas I'm not good at translating the translator >=P

I pawned Nitori before venturing into the floor past her *flex*. I think the trick is simply not to neglect your defensive stats as well as offensive ones. This game features some kind of add/subtract +multiplier system for stats and damage, which means stacking defense will eventually make attacks do zero damage, instead of 50% reduction->75%->82.5%-> etc per equal increase to stats. Of course, the enemies enjoy the same formula so you can't neglect attack stats either!

Still though, it's amazing how much easier bosses are when they can't OHKO you, and not because you're leveled up the yinyang. (I have yet to "level" at all, unless you count being somewhat lost on floor 7)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 10:11:27 AM by Ghaleon »

Anima Zero

• Captain of the Spear
« Reply #102 on: December 07, 2009, 03:26:28 PM »
Pretty much mapped out 2F, added a pair of characters to my party, and would be at 3F...if it weren't for ghost sword bitch and her helper being a rather annoying roadblock.

Her helper having a party attack that can poison just stinks.  Moreso if it poisons everyone.

Ghost sword bitch just hits really hard...and sometimes like to spam a really strong party attack that basically one shots some characters without def buffs.

I keep trying to wipe out the helper first, and it works, but I usually get owned by ghost sword bitch due to really strong party attack spammage (Think my 2nd attempt she used it 4 of 5 turns or something like that) or just simply running out of steam/certain characters going down earlier than I'd like them to.

Part of me wonders if I should just say screw it to wiping out the helper and aim for her instead to take her out before things go sour fast.  Just would have to pray the poison doesn't screw me over.  Then again the helper probably has some kind of heal spell just to mess with me.

Another part of me thinks I might want to grind a level or two (Everyone at lv10-11).
"I never cared about justice, and I don't recall ever calling myself a hero..." Zero, Mega Man Zero 4

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #103 on: December 07, 2009, 03:57:14 PM »
One Whole Ghost are a pain in the neck, aren't they?

A bit of luck is involved if you want to beat it at a low level - as yeah, not getting poisoned makes a HUGE difference (At that low of a level, poison is practically a death sentence).  Your best bet is to keep Reimu using the Great Hakurei Border to try to keep your party's defenses up, and don't be afraid to swap out Marisa, Patchy, Chen, etc. as necessary.  You have a paralyzer now - use it!  You should also have gone and defrosted a new ally as well, who can act as healer (Just keep her defenses up too, but she can buff defenses as well).

It's the first honestly hard fight in the game if your luck is bad.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 04:00:30 PM by Garlyle »

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #104 on: December 07, 2009, 03:59:05 PM »
Definitely get a few more levels before taking her on. I think the recommended was 12-14.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #105 on: December 07, 2009, 04:06:42 PM »
Alice is indeed a powerhouse...  :P
Mark your videos as having spoilers damnit XD

And yeah.  As a character, she's easily one of the most feasible for doing a solo game.  Not-crap defenses, and very good offensive capabilities (Due to being able to hit both Physical-weak AND Magical-weak targets, without an element to potentially hamper), means she's capable on the offense against pretty much anything.

...Also I'm getting goddamn sick of the goddamn mess that is the whole Iron Maze/Drink Maze/Elder Coffin fiasco.  I just want it to be over with damnit ;-;

Also, just gonna point out for those who've cleared F12, to make sure you got a character on F10.  If you didn't find anyone?  Turn all the switches to OFF, take the F12 waypoint, and head back down to 10F find her.  Then do a pain in the neck but easy sidequest, come back, and kick her around.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 04:11:40 PM by Garlyle »

Milkyway64

« Reply #106 on: December 07, 2009, 07:52:34 PM »
Mark your videos as having spoilers damnit XD

And yeah.  As a character, she's easily one of the most feasible for doing a solo game.  Not-crap defenses, and very good offensive capabilities (Due to being able to hit both Physical-weak AND Magical-weak targets, without an element to potentially hamper), means she's capable on the offense against pretty much anything.

...Also I'm getting goddamn sick of the goddamn mess that is the whole Iron Maze/Drink Maze/Elder Coffin fiasco.  I just want it to be over with damnit ;-;

Also, just gonna point out for those who've cleared F12, to make sure you got a character on F10.  If you didn't find anyone?  Turn all the switches to OFF, take the F12 waypoint, and head back down to 10F find her.  Then do a pain in the neck but easy sidequest, come back, and kick her around.

You mean she's easy? I decided to wait until after floor 13 or so because I figured I'd turn all those switches off only to get pwn't, like the case with the last few optional characters.

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
  • Who is it that calls for me?
« Reply #107 on: December 07, 2009, 08:06:54 PM »
Wow... so the random boss at the end of F7 caught me way off guard. Opened up with a party wide attack that severely damaged Meiling and Remilia and completely killed Marisa and Cirno.

=(

Milkyway64

« Reply #108 on: December 07, 2009, 08:45:45 PM »
Wow... so the random boss at the end of F7 caught me way off guard. Opened up with a party wide attack that severely damaged Meiling and Remilia and completely killed Marisa and Cirno.

=(

My advice? Level up a little bit, to maybe 35-40ish, then enter with a party of four members you know can take it. Power through from there, putting an emphasis on Remi's survival. IIRC this boss has rather low HP, only 30 or so thousand, which Remi can do before her SP runs out provided she cursed herself, with the help from Patchy's silent Serene, Marisa's Master Spark, and other hard hitting attacks you'll inevitably have to pull from reserve.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #109 on: December 07, 2009, 08:47:01 PM »
I'm curious. WTF is the point of master spark? I have yet to see it hit for over 3k. I'm serious. Even at full mana, even after concentration, I never see a 3 digit number starting with a 4 or higher. Which is kinda silly since Marisa can magic missle a mob for 8k sometimes. I've even see china hit for over 3k ffs. And I'm NOT using it on super mystic resistant mobs either.

My advice? Level up a little bit, to maybe 35-40ish, then enter with a party of four members you know can take it. Power through from there, putting an emphasis on Remi's survival. IIRC this boss has rather low HP, only 30 or so thousand, which Remi can do before her SP runs out provided she cursed herself, with the help from Patchy's silent Serene, Marisa's Master Spark, and other hard hitting attacks you'll inevitably have to pull from reserve.

Moar advice:
That boss opens up with his nastiest move, the other moves aren't nearly as bad. It's a fire elemental magic spell which is ungodly powerful so it can own even patchy despite her amazing mnd stat. The point? Just slap on some high mnd/fire resist pieces on your casters like patchy just for that fight. Or spend some library points into fire resist/mnd. The optional boss on F8 which requires having a party size of 20 is the exact same (with better stats), so your points invested will get good use right away anyway, not just for 1 encounter.

Basically if you can just full-party survive the big aoe at the start, you got the fight.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 08:49:50 PM by Ghaleon »

Chaore

• Kai Ni Recipient Many Years Late
  • You Finally Did It, Kadokawa.
« Reply #110 on: December 07, 2009, 08:52:42 PM »
I'm curious. WTF is the point of master spark? I have yet to see it hit for over 3k. I'm serious. Even at full mana, even after concentration, I never see a 3 digit number starting with a 4 or higher. Which is kinda silly since Marisa can magic missle a mob for 8k sometimes. I've even see china hit for over 3k ffs. And I'm NOT using it on super mystic resistant mobs either.
Massive Damage. It does that. I've gotten 60k without any buffs out of it before- I've absolutely no idea whats up with your spark.

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
« Reply #111 on: December 07, 2009, 09:06:14 PM »
Ever notice how Master Spark takes all of your SP even though it says it costs 160? There's a purpose to that.

Basic Marisa strategy is to spam Concentration and then bench her until her SP is full again.

I have no idea why your Spark is doing low damage like that. <_<

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #112 on: December 07, 2009, 09:18:14 PM »
WIKI WHERE

I just want to know info on the characters stats and attacks, not spoilers or level maps or anything. Because I'm neurotic about not messing up my characters in difficult games with customizable characters, I don't want it to be even HARDER because I raised my characters badly D:
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #113 on: December 07, 2009, 10:08:24 PM »
WIKI WHERE

I just want to know info on the characters stats and attacks, not spoilers or level maps or anything. Because I'm neurotic about not messing up my characters in difficult games with customizable characters, I don't want it to be even HARDER because I raised my characters badly D:

http://www19.atwiki.jp/th_maze/

It's Japanese though, and quite probably the worst page I've ever seen google attempt to translate so far.

Ever notice how Master Spark takes all of your SP even though it says it costs 160? There's a purpose to that.

Basic Marisa strategy is to spam Concentration and then bench her until her SP is full again.

I have no idea why your Spark is doing low damage like that. <_<

Yeah I know it eats additional sp for more damage. No matter what though the damage is bad for me.

Milkyway64

« Reply #114 on: December 07, 2009, 10:12:35 PM »
On the subject of the Spark, it seems to be my only chance against a floor 10 boss that refuses to fight until you beat 10 butterflies. I was wrong in assuming this would have been easy. :-\

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #115 on: December 07, 2009, 10:19:42 PM »
Yeah I know it eats additional sp for more damage. No matter what though the damage is bad for me.

List your Marisa stats?

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #116 on: December 07, 2009, 10:26:45 PM »
List your Marisa stats?

Does it matter? magic missle does more, that's just plain weird.. but ok
261 attack (don't think it matters)
2100 magic
280sp

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #117 on: December 07, 2009, 10:34:54 PM »
Seriously dunno what's up with yours. I'm not all that leveled and I've got no problem doing appreciable damage for my level.

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
« Reply #118 on: December 07, 2009, 10:49:23 PM »
Weird.

Your Master Spark should be doing great damage with that kind of Magic. Unless you happen to have been debuffed the times you tried to Spark, that might make a huge difference.

Graph

• Let's go, Trombe!
« Reply #119 on: December 07, 2009, 10:52:24 PM »
On the subject of the Spark, it seems to be my only chance against a floor 10 boss that refuses to fight until you beat 10 butterflies. I was wrong in assuming this would have been easy. :-\

Boss's attacks are physical, and nature-type.  I lowered defense/ mind to make headway, but you can make do with piercing attacks like Silent Selene too.  If you beat the floor 12 bosses you should be ready for this one too.