Author Topic: World Cup 2018 topic  (Read 71626 times)

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
Re: World Cup 2018 topic
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2018, 06:39:34 PM »
Right now it looks like Sweden will be taking on the role of Iceland this tournament. Well organized defensively and pretty efficient.

Edit: and they fall to a last second goal.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 07:53:57 PM by nav' »
Рабинович глядит на плакат ?Ленин умер, но дело его живет!?
? уж лучше бы о он жил!

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2018, 06:57:07 PM »
1-0 and first half is over. If Germany hasn't gotten that Diesel Engine up to temperature and speed yet, then it is byebye Germany, the last World Champion.

Edit:
Ok, Diesel Engine seems running. 2-1, what a game. And so Pool F has become another interesting one where Germany and Sweden are now tied if they both win their next match. South Korea should be no problem for Germany. Depending on Mexico's mood, they can help Sweden. Or just destroy the group and go for the 9 points.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 08:02:24 PM by Helepolis »

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2018, 08:01:14 PM »
That last second goal was so cool

Jimmy

• Shameless spender
  • gaining big pounds
« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2018, 09:30:42 PM »
wtf Kroos
wtf Boateng
TY KROOS

My nerves are still cramped after that match, oh my god. These friggin' last second goals, I swear.
Normal 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, UFO, TD, DDC, LoLK Legacy, HSiFS, WBaWC
Hard 1cc: IN, DDC, HSiFS
Extra clears: MoF, DDC, HSiFS, WBaWC

Goals: Going Extra Hard!

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2018, 09:38:17 PM »
1-0 and first half is over. If Germany hasn't gotten that Diesel Engine up to temperature and speed yet, then it is byebye Germany, the last World Champion.

Edit:
Ok, Diesel Engine seems running. 2-1, what a game. And so Pool F has become another interesting one where Germany and Sweden are now tied if they both win their next match. South Korea should be no problem for Germany. Depending on Mexico's mood, they can help Sweden. Or just destroy the group and go for the 9 points.
All these upsets are making for interesting groups, yeah! Brazil, Argentina too.
What happens here is that we'll have a three-way tie for 6 points if Mexico loses to Sweden. They could very well lose on goals scored and see Germany and Sweden advance!

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2018, 12:41:47 PM »
Panama is getting properly wrecked. Too bad their debut on this tournament is turning out so porly. In contrast to all the other interesting groups, this one is incredibly lopsided.
? уж лучше бы о он жил!

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2018, 12:51:14 PM »
*Belgium score 5 against Tunisia to get a large GD over England*

England - Hold my beer.

It actually matters because if England v Belgium is a draw it comes down to Goal Diff.

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

Jimmy

• Shameless spender
  • gaining big pounds
« Reply #67 on: June 24, 2018, 12:59:42 PM »
This match is channeling BRA-GER from the previous WC. The 5 goals didn't happen within 30 minutes, but still within the first half. GG England.

literally almost 7-1
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 01:53:58 PM by Jimmy »

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #68 on: June 24, 2018, 04:55:54 PM »
Senegal vs Japan ending in a tie looks favourable but it is still danger for them. They both cannot afford to lose their matches against Colombia / Poland. Draw is ok, anything else is danger.

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
« Reply #69 on: June 24, 2018, 07:53:28 PM »
There goes the worst European team of this World Cup. I'm speechless.
? уж лучше бы о он жил!

Conqueror

• Here I am, dirty and faceless
  • waiting to heed your instruction
« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2018, 01:34:56 AM »
It's coming home

On tue un homme, on est un assassin. On tue des millions d'hommes, on est un conqu?rant. On les tue tous, on est un dieu.
Every saint has a past and every sinner a future.

Jimmy

• Shameless spender
  • gaining big pounds
« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2018, 07:18:04 PM »
First Messi, now Ronaldo. Is it just me or do the star players out of everyone keep missing penalties?  :V

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
« Reply #72 on: June 26, 2018, 10:33:12 AM »
Turns out the missed penalty was rather meaningful, as the final result only gives Portugal second place in the group, forcing them to face Uruguay while Spain gets Russia. Is that good or bad for them? Really hard to say, as Uruguay's only opponents so far were two very weak teams and a weakened Russia. We might be in for a borefest though. Neither team is very convincing offensively, nor particularly eager to play an attacking game. Ronaldo's explosive start has fizzled out completely. I wouldn't dare make any bets.

Russia has hit a huge speed bump with all their accumulated momentum. 0-3 to Uruguay looks like an ominous sign and many say the Russian bubble is now officially burst, but I wouldn't go that far myself. The Russians were playing without a number of key players and their substitutes were clearly far below par, Smolnikov getting an early red that pretty much decided the game. Both goals conceded in the first half were rather unlucky too. Russia's true strength still can't be determined with any degree of certainty. Spain was having massive problems in their group, leaking goals left and right and only beating Iran thanks to a total fluke. Again, I wouldn't bet on either team, but over 2.5 seems likely.

As for the losing sides, I'm sad to see Morocco and Iran knocked out. Both were a pleasure to watch, although for different reasons. That said, good riddance to Saudi Arabia and Egypt. There's a very nice personal story involved, but otherwise they were easily among the worst teams of the tournament.

For today's games, I find myself caring very little about Group C. Meanwhile in Group D, Iceland will be facing a massively weakened Croatia (up to six first team players will be resting with the playoffs in mind). In case of a victory they can still claim second place by virtue of goal difference, preferably with Argentina overcoming Nigeria by a single goal. But can Argentina win at all? There are persistent rumors that Sampaoli is no longer the one in charge: the players have decided to oust him and take things in their own hands, with Messi and Mascherano selecting the squad and tactics. Hardly a recipe for victory. One possible scenario is reckless offense punished by a Nigerian counterattack, whereupon the Argentinians return to their dejected state.  (now watch everyone defy my expectations)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 11:31:33 AM by nav' »
? уж лучше бы о он жил!

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #73 on: June 26, 2018, 05:09:23 PM »
For today's games, I find myself caring very little about Group C. Meanwhile in Group D, Iceland will be facing a massively weakened Croatia (up to six first team players will be resting with the playoffs in mind). In case of a victory they can still claim second place by virtue of goal difference, preferably with Argentina overcoming Nigeria by a single goal. But can Argentina win at all? There are persistent rumors that Sampaoli is no longer the one in charge: the players have decided to oust him and take things in their own hands, with Messi and Mascherano selecting the squad and tactics. Hardly a recipe for victory. One possible scenario is reckless offense punished by a Nigerian counterattack, whereupon the Argentinians return to their dejected state.  (now watch everyone defy my expectations)
I've read about those! Super interesting stuff.

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
« Reply #74 on: June 26, 2018, 06:54:05 PM »
Yeah, got to wonder if they're true. So far Argentina really is looking much better. I'm not even talking about the offense (where individual players are unsurprisingly very hard to contain), but the extremely aggressive pressing on their own half that so far is enough to largely neutralize Nigeria. It's impressive and efficient, but certainly costly in terms of stamina. Let's see how long can they keep this up.

Meanwhile Iceland is trying really hard and honestly deserves a goal. Still hoping they can do this.
? уж лучше бы о он жил!

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #75 on: June 26, 2018, 07:53:26 PM »
Iceland nooo.

Also a moment for Nigeria too. They almost qualified as well.

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

Jimmy

• Shameless spender
  • gaining big pounds
« Reply #76 on: June 26, 2018, 07:57:56 PM »
Argentina on the brink of being disqualified in the group phase, and they made it with a close victory.

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #77 on: June 26, 2018, 08:39:31 PM »
Honestly felt like Nigeria were closer to winning there, they were much more dangerous. I have a friend who would've been happy to see Argentina go home after the bunker they played last tournament.. I was kinda looking forward to asking him how he felt with the tie.

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
« Reply #78 on: June 27, 2018, 01:12:43 PM »
It's so disappointing to see the likes of Morocco knocked out while the weakest Argentina I've ever seen is going through. Then again, Nigeria had multiple good chances and failed to convert. Both goals conceded by Iceland were avoidable too. They have themselves to blame first of all.

A word about the penalty not given to Nigeria. Official rules of the game say: "Handling the ball involves a deliberate act of a player making contact with the ball with the hand or arm." But when is a penalty box handball ever deliberate? It's almost always an accident. I'm pretty sure there were multiple handball penalties given on this World Cup and not one of them was truly deliberate (well, maybe Colombia - Japan). See Croatia - Iceland for the most recent example. Not even VAR can eliminate controversies when referees are free to interpret the rules as they please.

As for today, I just want to see Serbia win and Germany finally play well.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 02:19:29 PM by nav' »
? уж лучше бы о он жил!

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #79 on: June 27, 2018, 02:16:27 PM »
Official rules of the game say: "Handling the ball involves a deliberate act of a player making contact with the ball with the hand or arm." But when is a penalty box handball ever deliberate?

Suarez :V

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #80 on: June 27, 2018, 02:25:46 PM »
That Nigeria penalty I half think was avoided after the outrageous first penalty, as a form of repayment.

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
« Reply #81 on: June 27, 2018, 02:52:19 PM »
Well, Suarez for sure, but such obvious examples aren't very common, are they? BT is probably right though, some referees do try to compensate for earlier mistakes by making important decisions go the other way.

Speaking of penalties, the Swedish manager was so furious in the first half. I wish I had a video of that!
Edit: Sweden finally scores. Definitely deserved.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 03:10:00 PM by nav' »
? уж лучше бы о он жил!

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
« Reply #82 on: June 27, 2018, 04:07:52 PM »
Double post, but I'm feeling agitated after this round of games. What a sight to witness. Sweden - Mexico was surprising enough, I wasn't expecting Sweden to play so well against a Mexican team that was well aware they could get knocked out if things take a bad turn.

But Germany - South Korea? Pure insanity. The sheer number of mistakes made by Germany... A better team would have scored 4 or 5, but South Korea in the final third was perhaps the most inept team I've ever seen, finally scoring after Kroos passed the ball to Kim, and when Neuer left the goal. But make no mistake, South Korea fought brilliantly and entirely deserves the win. As for Germany, I only have this to say:

? уж лучше бы о он жил!

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #83 on: June 27, 2018, 04:09:29 PM »
What happened, Germany.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #84 on: June 27, 2018, 04:58:24 PM »
Y'all I'm pretty nervous about playing Poland tomorrow because if Japan does survive then we gotta play either Belgium or England and frankly I want no part of either of them: neither the strong and stout Belgium nor the suddenly streaking white-hot England

Suwako Moriya

• Hey you with the pretty face
  • Welcome to the human race!
« Reply #85 on: June 27, 2018, 05:05:23 PM »
Always root for facing England, because everyone knows they'll England it up at some point.
The only thing this dimension does well is show its ass. We might as well applaud it! - Albert Burneko

Well, this game happened.

Espadas

• You're gonna have a bad time
« Reply #86 on: June 27, 2018, 06:21:02 PM »
Always root for facing England, because everyone knows they'll England it up at some point.

Been missing for a long time, then i remembered that MotK usually have a thread for international football competitions.

Btw I'm saving this, it says nothing and at the same time it's 100% accurate..... i don't even know how you could improve it XD

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #87 on: June 27, 2018, 06:23:01 PM »
Germany loss was the biggest upset since ever. Talk about taking the wind out of your sails after the heroic comeback against Sweden.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #88 on: June 27, 2018, 08:01:50 PM »
What happened, Germany.
I have no idea how they were unable to beat Korea. Nothing makes sense. Last WC it was England failing hard and now Germany failing hard.

Who is next, Brazil to be instantly knocked out in the 1/8 finals?

Conqueror

• Here I am, dirty and faceless
  • waiting to heed your instruction
« Reply #89 on: June 27, 2018, 10:02:31 PM »
England is going to take it all, it's their turn. Mark my words.

On tue un homme, on est un assassin. On tue des millions d'hommes, on est un conqu?rant. On les tue tous, on est un dieu.
Every saint has a past and every sinner a future.