Author Topic: Question about Touhou fan music / bands  (Read 5938 times)

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
Question about Touhou fan music / bands
« on: January 24, 2018, 10:00:13 AM »
This feels like it should be a new thread but its just 1 question.

I love touhou, but I barely touched t for the last 4 or so years for reasons. Key oard died, got a new one that was anti ghosting except it ghosted like hell with the arrow keys exclusively, I didnt enjoy the canon games after SA as much, challenge felt more gimmicky with weird shot types and behind threats and stuff, etc.

But I'm trying to have a glorius reunion... and when it comes to the fan music. None of my old fave bands seem to have much if any new content. Is the fan music scene smaller than before? Any reason why old bands seem to have sropped making stuff?

My old faves included
Magnum opus
Aquaelie
Something phoenix (think it was the same lead guitar as aquaelie).
Sound online (like the only electronic band I like. Not just touhou. I can listen to airglow all day. I prefer the instrumental songs but I do enjoy SOME of the vocal ones).
Dbu
Very select songs from =neutral=
Myon myon / pizuyas cell. The instrumental stuff. God their vocals are an abomination. I say this as someone who could enjoy hard to digest vocalists in bands like limbonic art, naglfar, kataklysm, etc since I was like 10.
I like power metal too but I couldnt get into touhous proggier bands like ul70 or whatever its called.

If anyone can point me to some of the newer bands that you think will scratch my itch Id appreciate it.

Such a shame too because some of the new games seem to have songs that were just born to be metal. The first was that zombie girl (fortunstely demetori made a song for her), very little true administrator songs that I know I like though (dbus is good). After that they seem to vanish minus one or two albums (little princess is so damn good).

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
Re: Question about Touhou fan music / bands
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 03:42:38 PM »
I'm not a huge metal fan but I can at least say that Pizuya's Cell is still releasing instrumental albums regularly and dBu is also active. Shinagawa Satellite seems to be pretty popular but I heard they weren't going to be as active anymore.

There are also a fair amount of smaller metal circles since I have a few people who ask me for that kind of thing most every event. Can't give you any names off the top of my head right now, but they're out there. Whether or not they're up to snuff is another matter.

Quwanti

• Pixel stuff
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 04:29:49 PM »
I think you would enjoy Aether. There is also SOUTH OF HAVEN, although they do have female vocals. dBu seems to be more electronic to me, but you can check them out for yourself; he still releases new stuff. The only phoenix I can think of is PHOENIX Project.

I'm not a huge metal fan but I can at least say that Pizuya's Cell is still releasing instrumental albums regularly and dBu is also active. Shinagawa Satellite seems to be pretty popular but I heard they weren't going to be as active anymore.

There are also a fair amount of smaller metal circles since I have a few people who ask me for that kind of thing most every event. Can't give you any names off the top of my head right now, but they're out there. Whether or not they're up to snuff is another matter.
Pizuya's Cell's instrumentals are piano albums so not really a good recommendation for metal stuff.

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 04:54:03 PM »
Demetori and Undead Corporation definitely still make metal arranges.

CROW'SCLAW too, although I haven't really heard from Taka recently in terms of Touhou arranges. I just notice that a lot of old bands either don't do music together anymore (Foreground Eclipse, MisteryCircle), moved onto other genres (Draw The Emotional/Yuyoyuppe), or has started to do more original works (CROW'SCLAW doing original vocal/metal works, which are really good btw).

I used to listen to IRON ATTACK! but they started getting stale really fast, and then I dropped them completely when they tried to do their own vocal stuff which I wasn't a big fan of tbh.

Now, if we move from metal to rock bands as well, one band I still very much actively follow is Kishida Kyoudan & the Akeboshi Rockets. In fact, they are still currently my favourite jrock/jpunk band out there. They still do make Touhou albums from time to time, but nowadays they're mostly doing original stuff and anime OPs (ie Highschool of the Dead, GATE, Strike the Blood OVA, etc). They are a really good band and I recommend them to everyone who loves listening to rock in general.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 07:20:08 PM »
Thanks. Id say more but texting on phone is a pain and the site doesnt work on my pc atm.

That said I had the exact same experience with iron attack.

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 02:44:44 PM »
I find myself in surprisingly alike circumstances. Same long break from Touhou, plenty of similarities in the list of bands enjoyed. Becasue of this I sadly can't offer much in terms of new stuff, but I feel for you and would at least like to chip in with a copule of my old favourites that are missing from your list.

xi-on were always a pleasure for my ears. I never see them mentioned in these threads

Looking at this group's backlog, they were responsible for Touhou Soccer OST and "RPG Battle Arrange" (not sure if that was part of an actual Touhou RPG...), both full of excellent, straightforward, dynamic arrangements.

This version of Necrofantasia by TatshMusicCircle, for example... There are vocals, but they're very good vocals, I think. I'm sure they have more similar songs.

Damn, I was sure there would be more, I even had a huge .txt file with interesting circles listed, but it's all tucked somewhere on a portable HDD I don't have access to right now. I'll have to get back to it...

Рабинович глядит на плакат ?Ленин умер, но дело его живет!?
? уж лучше бы о он жил!

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 02:52:43 PM »
xi-on were always a pleasure for my ears. I never see them mentioned in these threads

xi-on is a group I definitely enjoyed in their early works, but now they've moved onto more jazz arranges that, while also good, are not my kind of thing to actively follow, so I don't really follow them anymore.

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 03:01:51 PM »
Yeah, the main guitarist for Xi-on moved on so they're doing genres the current members have more experience in.

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 10:01:51 PM »
I'm not very familiar with IRON ATTACK!'s other works but I got Mystique Concerto recently and it's not bad I think. Pretty cool take on Touhou-meets-classical-meets-metal.

On the non-metal front I liked Ota Quintet's latest 東方木管奏3 紺珠伝編 CD (wind ensemble arrangements of music from Legacy of Lunatic Kingdom).