Author Topic: A Quest of Fire and Ice  (Read 30538 times)

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
A Quest of Fire and Ice
« on: December 26, 2016, 10:53:02 PM »
Eh, I feel like doing one of these again; with a twist. You're not controlling one character; but a pair.

You are Yuki and Mai. Or Mai and Yuki. You can never agree on who's name should go first.

You two are well known within your home dimension of Makai as the 2nd and 3rd most powerful magic users in the entire dimension. You used to be 3rd and 4th until pretty recently; and before that; 4th and 5th. Also you can never agree who's #2 and who's #3.

But that is besides the point. You are both currently in the Frozen Fields, doing your regular duty as the keepers of the portal to Pandemonium; the castle of Shinki herself. No-one goes in unless they go through you. One way or another. Or they are Shinki or Yumeko. You've only failed in your duty once. And that was a 4 against 2 fight. You can never agree who's fault that one was.

Speaking of... Yumeko is walking towards you. Which is weird. You don't remember her leaving.

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

Tashi

• Charming Devil!
  • For all of my life... A stranger I remain.
Re: A Quest of Fire and Ice
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 11:01:42 PM »
> Relationships.
> Inventory.
> Is Yumeko our superior?
> Is something strange with Yumeko right now?
ALL HAIL PROPOSALING-SAMA. SURPRISE FOR HIM.

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2016, 11:20:28 PM »
> Relationships.
> Inventory.
> Is Yumeko our superior?
> Is something strange with Yumeko right now?

> Relationships:

Shinki - While neither of you are natives to Makai you still both see Shinki as a God; even if she isn't your mother.

Yumeko - As the direct attendant of Shinki; Yumeko outranks you. She is the only one besides Shinki allowed to come and go from Pandemonium without invite, and occasionally checks up on you two. She's no-nonsense and never even changes her facial expression from a poker face. She looks after the portal on your days off as well. She's not really a magic-user; but you doubt the pair of you could take her in a fight if she's effectively Shinki's line of defense after you two.

Yuki -> Mai: Friendly rival. Thinks she speaks too little.

Mai -> Yuki: Tolerates. Thinks she speaks too much.

Alice: She was the 2nd strongest magically in Makai before she vanished at the end of the invasion. Shinki was especially interested in this 'daughter' of hers. She never caused you any problems, but you were aware of her power and how she turned her own little pocket of Makai into a 'Wonderland' that still persists even without her in Makai for all these years.

Sara - You two are effectively her boss. She is a daemon who used to guard the Makai-Gensokoyo gateway; but that's been sealed for years, so she was re-assigned to you two. She's out scouting the Fields as per usual. She's pretty hopeless with magic; but she's good for manual labor. She's also pretty fast. Although Yumeko is much faster so if Sara has seen her; she wouldn't have been able to let you know in time anyway.

> Reimu/Marisa/Yuuka/Mima: Four incredibly powerful; strange invaders from Gensokyo who appeared years ago. They beat you two; and went on fight and defeat Yumeko and even fight Shinki in a battle that ravaged Makai. Shinki repaired the damage overnight; of course, but that didn't change the fact that they fought Shinki and lived. Whatever happened; the result was the sealing of the Makai-Gensokyo portal.

> Inventory - Both of you have a Pocket Grimoire. These contain all of your personal spells and magical knowledge, and are made of similar materials to Byakuren's Sutra Scroll. [Not that you two really know Byakuren. You know OF her and know she was stronger than you individually. But you never met her. Hokkai is too far out.]

> Nothing appears to be strange with Yumeko as she is approaching you. Down to the very small flickering green light no bigger than a pinpoint just by the palm of her right hand; her being ready to summon one of her blades at a moment's notice. As per usual; her face doesn't give anything away about what she is thinking.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 11:23:23 PM by Raikaria »

I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.

Tashi

• Charming Devil!
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2016, 11:29:26 PM »
Yuki:

> "Hello, Yumeko-san."

Mai:

> "If I may ask... when did you leave?"

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2016, 11:35:57 PM »
Yuki:

> "Hello, Yumeko-san."

Mai:

> "If I may ask... when did you leave?"

> "Greetings." Yumeko says in reply.

> "Good question." Yumeko responds. "It shows you are doing your job. Lady Shinki directly teleported me to a site to investigate a disturbance, so I did not use the portal to exit Pandemonium."

Tashi

• Charming Devil!
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2016, 11:41:31 PM »
Yuki:

> "Did someone caused a ruckus? Or is some kind of incident?"

> How closer as friends we are to Yuki/Mai?

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2016, 08:19:57 AM »
Yuki:

> "Did someone caused a ruckus? Or is some kind of incident?"

> How closer as friends we are to Yuki/Mai?

> "There was some kind of disturbance in the Wonderland." Yumeko said. "I do not know who is behind it; but it is clear that something, if only briefly, managed to enter Makai from a place where there are no gateways."

> Yuki considers Mai as a close friend; although she does want to prove herself as the #2 magic-user in Makai over her. It's obvious you're better than Mai.
> Mai considers Yuki inferior and annoying, but it's better than sitting around this place alone. In regards to magic; it's obvious you're better than Yuki.

O4rfish

• something seems fishy
  • paranoia 4 lyfe
    • Ask an Oarfish!
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2016, 08:44:31 AM »
>"A place where there are no gateways?  What kind of a place is that?"

>"If you don't know who is behind it, does that mean they have escaped?"
[9:49:09] <Purvis> Generally not, but your mother may be an exception.

Tashi

• Charming Devil!
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2016, 10:57:24 AM »
> Do we know about the Palanquin Ship?

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2016, 08:57:26 PM »
>"A place where there are no gateways?  What kind of a place is that?"

>"If you don't know who is behind it, does that mean they have escaped?"

> Yumeko sighs for a moment, before she speaks with a harsh tone. "The Wonderland is in the Heartlands of Makai. The Gateways between dimensions are at the edges of Makai. There are no dimensional gateways in the Wonderland. I know you two are stationed here, at the very center of Makai guarding the only way into there."

The maid pointed upwards at Pandemounium floating in the sky.

"But do try and remember basic geography."

> "Despite Shinki's haste in sending me there; I only arrived in time to see the disturbance closing. However, I did manage to gather a few wisps of the magical energy for Lady Shinki to analyze."

> Do we know about the Palanquin Ship?

> You know that a few years ago; an artifact used in ancient times in the Human World to cross into Makai was used in Gensokyo to break into Hokkai. The ship was apparently designed to pass through barriers without damage to the ship; it's crew; or the barrier itself. Due to this; it did not damage the Gensokyo-Makai barrier. The result of this break-in was Byakuren Hijiri being unsealed from Hokkai and returned to her home dimension.

> "If you two would allow me to pass." Yumeko asks. "I need to report to Lady Shinki."

> "That will not be required Yumeko." a voice says from behind you. You both feel an overwhelming presence pushing down upon you; as if encouraging you to kneel; bow; or pray in some fashion.

Neovereign

• Greatest Fairy
  • Everything will be daijoubu... hopefully
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2016, 09:34:27 PM »
>Kneel humbly.

Tashi

• Charming Devil!
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2016, 09:39:33 PM »
> Is Lady Shinki voice? Make sure to verify that visually, and if indeed she is:
>> Show respect to our mother and kneel down.

Yuki:

> "Mother, is something troubling you to come here personally?"

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2016, 09:55:33 PM »
>Kneel humbly.

> Is Lady Shinki voice? Make sure to verify that visually, and if indeed she is:
>> Show respect to our mother and kneel down.

Yuki:

> "Mother, is something troubling you to come here personally?"

> The voice isn't what gives away the idenity of the one behind you. She came from the portal for one. And more importantly; only one being in Makai has enough magical power that their mere presence is so overbearing. The Infinite Being.

> You both kneel before the Goddess as you turn.

> Shinki has a warm smile as you call her 'mother'. While you are magicians who came to Makai; and are not technically her children; she considers all who live within Makai as her family. That is why she trusts you two so greatly.

> "I figured that considering the nature of the breach; you two may be better suited to investigation than Yumeko." Shinki said calmly. "Yumeko is an ability user. You two are magic users. In matters of magic; you are leagues above Yumeko."

> Shinki looks at Yumeko. "Not to suggest that you are not useful. If the disturbance was not magical..."

> "I understand; Lady Shinki." Yumeko says calmly; before the green pinprick expands; and a small vial falls into Yumeko's hand.

> Yumeko gives Shinki the vial; filled with a faint; purple gas. Shinki narrows her eyes and looks at it for a few moments.

> "Well. This is strange." Shinki muses, a look of childlike curiosity on her face. "This is a sort of magic I have not seen for a thousand years. You may want to stand back."

Neovereign

• Greatest Fairy
  • Everything will be daijoubu... hopefully
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2016, 09:59:16 PM »
>Nod and make some distance.

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2016, 11:08:24 PM »
>Nod and make some distance.

> The pair of you nod and back off a bit as Shinki opens the vial.

> The strange fog flows out like a small wisp. Shinki looks at it, before she mutters an incantation neither of you have heard of; in a tounge neither of you know.

> The wisp convulses before it expands rapidly; and within seconds, there is a dimensional tear. Red energy surges between the sides of the tear; purple like the wisp; but far more vivid. Aside from the crackles of red; raw magical energy; the tear is black.

> Shinki looks at you two. Then she looks at the portal. And back to you two.

> "Go and investigate." Shinki says. "The magic which created this predates your arrival into Makai. You might learn something new. And besides; we can't have people just tearing dimensional holes into Makai. Unless they want to stay of course."

> Shinki looks back at the portal; with a puzzled look on her face.

Tashi

• Charming Devil!
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2016, 11:24:05 PM »
Yuki:

> "Don't worry anymore, Lady Shinki, I will take care of it."

Mai:

> "You? She said the two."

Yuki:

> "Well, I count as two people. And besides, you might get hurt."
> Laugh.

Mai:

> "Full of yourself, aren't you?"
> Look at Shinki.
> "We'll do our best and more, mother."

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2016, 11:38:29 PM »
Yuki:

> "Don't worry anymore, Lady Shinki, I will take care of it."

Mai:

> "You? She said the two."

Yuki:

> "Well, I count as two people. And besides, you might get hurt."
> Laugh.

Mai:

> "Full of yourself, aren't you?"
> Look at Shinki.
> "We'll do our best and more, mother."

> Shinki looks away from the portal and back at you two, chuckling as you argue.

> "You two; there's a reason why I put you two together." Shinki says playfully, before she snaps her fingers; and a small magical bead appears before her. The bead is purple with red markings that keep shifting.

> "You can use this to contact myself or Yumeko. Just channel some of your magical energy into it. If for some reason you are in danger and need to flee; smash it. It will open a portal back here for exactly five seconds." Shinki explains. "This investigation is not worth your lives."

Tashi

• Charming Devil!
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2016, 11:53:56 PM »
Yuki:

> "No need to worry! I will investigate AND resolve this!"

Mai:

> "Do not expect that amount of luck, little girl."

Yuki:

> "L-Little girl?! And you think you are tall?"

Mai:

> "No... but at least I'm not arguing like one."

Yuki:

> Blush embarrased.
> "W-Why you...!"

Mai:

> "May we go now, Lady Shinki?"

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2016, 08:18:42 AM »
Yuki:

> "No need to worry! I will investigate AND resolve this!"

Mai:

> "Do not expect that amount of luck, little girl."

Yuki:

> "L-Little girl?! And you think you are tall?"

Mai:

> "No... but at least I'm not arguing like one."

Yuki:

> Blush embarrased.
> "W-Why you...!"

Mai:

> "May we go now, Lady Shinki?"

> Shinki looks unimpressed; but also unsurprised; as you two argue.

> Yes; just be careful." Shinki says. "I have no idea what is on the other side. The longer the portal remains open; however; the more likely that attention would be drawn to it."

Tashi

• Charming Devil!
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2016, 05:02:48 PM »
Yuki:

> "Okay. We'll try to do this quickly and with quality."

Mai:

> Bow to Yumeko and Shinki.
> "I'm going."
> Enter the portal.

Yuki:

> Show the same respect to them and follow Mai.

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2016, 08:04:55 PM »
Yuki:

> "Okay. We'll try to do this quickly and with quality."

Mai:

> Bow to Yumeko and Shinki.
> "I'm going."
> Enter the portal.

Yuki:

> Show the same respect to them and follow Mai.

> "Please do try not to create some sort of war." Yumeko quips.

> "Good luck." Shinki says. "And remember; your mission is to gather information for now."

> You enter the portal; and for a few moments; your vision fades to a red; with the occasional magical sigil flying past.

===

> You emerge in a strange world. It is clearly nighttime; and you appear to have arrived in some sort of street.

> Aside from the style of the buildings; the time of day and the lack of life around, the first thing you two sense is a distinct lack of magic. Everywhere has a low amount of magic compared to Makai; of course. But this world... the magic is almost completely gone. It feels... wrong.

[Unknown Location OST: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkcXToFYbH4&user=ExiMaster]
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 08:09:30 PM by Raikaria »

O4rfish

• something seems fishy
  • paranoia 4 lyfe
    • Ask an Oarfish!
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2016, 10:01:14 PM »
>Look at portal.
[9:49:09] <Purvis> Generally not, but your mother may be an exception.

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2016, 10:11:05 PM »
>Look at portal.

> You both turn to look at the portal. It flickers and closes.

Tashi

• Charming Devil!
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2016, 11:20:06 PM »
> Are we COMPLETELY SURE that there's no one else aside from the two of us?
> Do we feel imminent danger in this place?

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2016, 11:30:45 PM »
> Are we COMPLETELY SURE that there's no one else aside from the two of us?
> Do we feel imminent danger in this place?

> This is an alien world. You are very, very unsure. But you cannot see anyone.

> No. However; you do feel discomfort. This however may just be due to the environmental shift. Makai is an extreme environment that you have both acclimated to over the years. You have not been here long enough to know if your discomfort is due to this or something else.

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2016, 11:32:44 PM »
> This is an alien world. You are very, very unsure. But you cannot see anyone. Neither can you sense anything you cannot see giving off magic.

> No. However; you do feel discomfort. This however may just be due to the environmental shift. Makai is an extreme environment that you have both acclimated to over the years. You have not been here long enough to know if your discomfort is due to this or something else.

Tashi

• Charming Devil!
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2016, 11:56:33 PM »
> How many paths to we have in our surroundings?

Sophilia

• Exposition Patchouli
  • Seeker of Truth
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2016, 01:23:26 AM »
> What's the source of our magic energy?  Internal, environmental, artifacts and grimoires, Shinki, all of the above?
> Mai: Examine nearest building, to try to figure out what went down here.  Quietly, of course.  This foreign land is obviously dangerous since they can just open rifts into Makai...
> Yuki: "Hellooo!  Anyone here?"
> Mai: dammit Yuki.
Life and death are without purpose.  Our attempts to give them one are quite presumptuous of us.  But in the end, we exist, and that is enough.

Current status: Dissuading deliberately choking for imagined fame.

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2016, 08:30:47 AM »
> How many paths to we have in our surroundings?

> There is one primary path that you are on. Behind you; after a short distance; it ends and branches into two; one going left; the other right. Ahead of you there are several sidepaths scattered along the current one.

> What's the source of our magic energy?  Internal, environmental, artifacts and grimoires, Shinki, all of the above?
> Mai: Examine nearest building, to try to figure out what went down here.  Quietly, of course.  This foreign land is obviously dangerous since they can just open rifts into Makai...
> Yuki: "Hellooo!  Anyone here?"
> Mai: dammit Yuki.

> There is a priority when it comes to your own magical energy. Ambient energy is tapped into before your own reserves. Magical artifacts tend to have incredible magical power; but can only do one or two things; and tend to need a jumpstart of your own energy. You do not have any of these. Your Grimoires do not have their own magical energy; although they are capable of drawing from your energy to cast low-level spells on their own.

> Mai examines the nearest building. There are windows; but they are closed and some sort of cloth blocks your vision. There is a door, but that too is closed.

> Despite Mai's quiet approach; Yuki shouts loudly. A few seconds pass, before a window on the second floor of one of the buildings open.

> A young girl; no older than nine; pokes her head out. She doesn't say anything; but looks curious; her eyes fixated on Mai's wings.

Tashi

• Charming Devil!
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2016, 12:44:05 PM »
Yuki:

> "...? Mai, look..."

Mai:

> "What is it?"
> Look at the little girl.
> How she looks?