Author Topic: Are You a Squid Now? - Splatoon Thread  (Read 96748 times)

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
Are You a Squid Now? - Splatoon Thread
« on: May 29, 2015, 10:17:11 PM »
Nintendo's newest franchise, Splatoon, hit the markets in Japan a couple days ago and has now been released internationally. For those not familiar with the premise, this unique take on the shooter genre features Inklings, humanoid squids that cover the terrain with colored ink in lieu of the typical weapons seen in other shooters, and includes single- and multi-player modes to pit players against a variety of challenges, with a particular focus on the multi-player aspect.

I've been glued to this game all afternoon (at the expense of my wrist >.<), and managed to finish the single-player mode with 100% completion. Haven't tried multi-player yet, but I expect it to be much more entertaining, especially once I start grouping with others online. The only issue I have is that I'm not sure if I've found my preferred control setup though. The motion controls are gonna take some more getting used to. Who else here has played Splatoon (including the Testfires a while back) or plans to play it, and what are your experiences so far?

EDIT 5/31/15: Check out who else is playing Splatoon here, and feel free to add your name and NNID as well so you can play together!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 03:12:35 AM by ふねん1 »
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Re: Are You a Squid Now? - Splatoon Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 10:25:31 PM »
I don't understand the hype with Splatoon, i get the premise and i know it's a good game, but i think it's overhyped, i think it's just another shooter, what is so special about Splatoon that other games can't captivate other than it's colourful and vibrant colours are a breath of fresh air for the shooter genre and it's stratigic approach, but aside from that, what does Splatoon offer that other games can't in terms of the shooter genre, ( btw i hate cod )

Could someone clarify what else Splatoon does that other games don't?

But i might change opinion, it happened with Code Name S.T.E.A.M. so it might happen here as well. ( Even though here in Europe the eshops are... let's just say that last time i checked, last week Code Name S.T.E.A.M. wasn't even out here yet. So i won't be able to try Splatoon yet )
1CC Easy: UFO , MOF, PCB, DDC, GFW, POFV, TD, IN, SA, 1CC Normal: MOF, DDC, IN, POFV, PCB, TD, EOSD, HSIFS
Extra Mode: Ran Yakumo, Okina Matara

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 11:06:39 PM »
I am Squid!

Played long enough to reach Level 5 with the default set of weapons; I got 1st place in my team a lot by playing objectively instead of killing people (though I killed plenty via bomb toss). I bought the 50gal, but I'm going to really miss the bubble shield for team pushing.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 02:33:58 AM »
I don't understand the hype with Splatoon, i get the premise and i know it's a good game, but i think it's overhyped, i think it's just another shooter, what is so special about Splatoon that other games can't captivate other than it's colourful and vibrant colours are a breath of fresh air for the shooter genre and it's stratigic approach, but aside from that, what does Splatoon offer that other games can't in terms of the shooter genre, ( btw i hate cod )

Here's the thing: You could go 100-0 (kills vs deaths) in a game of splatoon and lose.  Because the game isn't won or lost based on your ability to snipe other people.  It helps, sure; but the game is won or lost on territorial control.  There's a lot more to it than just "get good at shooting your opponent".  The movement mechanics - swapping in and out of a faster 'stealthed' state and your offensive state - also adds a lot of difference.

It's not a typical FPS at all, is my point. 

That the entire thing's wrapped up in just a really visiaully creative and stylish design just helps with things.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 03:36:39 AM »
Been playing this all day, and I played in every global testfire. I bought my WiiU in anticipation of this game after it was shown at E3 last year. Level 10 now and I'm seriously considering just maining the Splattershot Jr going forward.

Sorry, I meant ROLLER PRO MLG 360 NO SQUID

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 03:37:55 AM »
Here's the thing: You could go 100-0 (kills vs deaths) in a game of splatoon and lose.  Because the game isn't won or lost based on your ability to snipe other people.  It helps, sure; but the game is won or lost on territorial control.

That's like every half decent FPS ever.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2015, 04:13:01 AM »
I can second the movement mechanics being a big deal, particularly when it comes to dealing with certain opposing weapons. Outpacing a Roller while backtracking is pretty straightforward, but being able to outlast a Bubbler in a hotly contested zone is another matter. Even something as simple as briefly "sidestepping" in squid form can be enough to throw off your opponent's aim. The inking mechanic also facilitates vertical gameplay - players can easily traverse to and nab high spots to press their advantage, which a bunch of map designs already account for.

Anyway, just finished my first online session, got to level 7. Thankfully gear is pretty cheap. I managed to stack a few "Special Charge Up" abilities to help me abuse that Bubbler. :V In all seriousness, for a starter weapon set the Splattershot Jr. + Bubbler is surprisingly effective (at least in Turf Wars).

That's like every half decent FPS ever.
Quantitatively measured territorial control, specifically. Obviously there's some overlap - I've been on both ends of complete blowouts, and once one team inks the arena close to the spawn point it's surprisingly hard to get out and turn things around - just that how the win condition works for Turf Wars is different, is what he meant. Splat Zones is much more similar to a traditional king-of-the-hill format though.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 04:17:00 AM by ふねん1 »
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2015, 04:21:51 AM »
It's not a typical FPS at all, is my point. 
You're right, because it's actually a TPS

Tamashii Kanjou

• If you didn't quite already know...
  • I am the leader of TCF <3
    • TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2015, 01:10:50 PM »
I played it for 5 hours last night. (Sleep? I don't know this word} Have been enjoying it, though some team members can be annoying in the term of why are you doing nothing all of a sudden. But it's fun, and managed to grind up to Lv 10 just now~

Ranked mode will open once more people hit it, and even with the new modes that will come with that, there's even more content on the way; which is all free to boot. It's cute, quirky, and certainly a breath of fresh air in how these sort of games work. Also, I bought all the clothes... because dressing up is just as fun~ <3

{Also, wondering if swapping Wii U IDs would be a good idea in here. Might help for taking advantage of that 'join a friends game' button}

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2015, 04:01:50 PM »
Add me, squids: N-Forza.

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2015, 06:03:24 PM »
It's a game from Nintendo that's actually a new IP and not the same Mario / Zelda / Pokemon spinoffs, has mechanics that differentiate it from other shooter titles, and is a fresh coat of ink compared to every other grey-brown drab shooting game on the market. It's an all-ages shooter that can still command the same skill levels as any M-rated one.
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2015, 06:57:57 PM »
It's a game from Nintendo that's actually a new IP and not the same Mario / Zelda / Pokemon spinoffs, has mechanics that differentiate it from other shooter titles, and is a fresh coat of ink compared to every other grey-brown drab shooting game on the market. It's an all-ages shooter that can still command the same skill levels as any M-rated one.

It's a new franchise? Nintendo this year gained 2 new franchises aparrently, Splatoon and Code Name S.T.E.A.M.

I am genuenly curious about both of these games, so i might ( i will ) try them out!
1CC Easy: UFO , MOF, PCB, DDC, GFW, POFV, TD, IN, SA, 1CC Normal: MOF, DDC, IN, POFV, PCB, TD, EOSD, HSIFS

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2015, 02:16:18 AM »
They showed a bunch of new IPs at last year's E3. There was a tower defense one little ROBs attacking your base and a security-camera-based positioning, but I dunno what happened to it.
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2015, 04:02:09 AM »
We're over halfway to unlocking Splat Zones. I'm not surprised it's going this fast to tell the truth, but it makes those who predicted it would take weeks seems a little silly right about now. :V I did my part, halfway through level 12 as of this writing. Seems like my Internet is finally fixed (it was sporadically cutting out since yesterday), so I got to chat with others over Ventrilo while playing, which was fun.

And if anyone else wants to list their NNIDs, go right ahead. I can keep track of them in the OP if anyone wants to meet up with anyone else.

Tamashii Kanjou

• TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2015, 09:13:19 AM »
NNID : Tamashii_Kanjou

It'll be great to get as many of us on this train... not only that, but hey, we can probably play other games too. But yeah, inking with friends will make MotK rivalries even more hilarious~ :V

Also, anyone seen the official crossover picture Nintendo and Masahiro Anbe made? I love the fact that Anbe originally made crossover pictures, and Nintendo went 'yes please.' XD

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2015, 02:53:29 PM »
I?m downloading it right now

My NNID: Geniusman

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2015, 03:14:07 AM »
I made a Google Docs page to keep track of people's NNIDs and linked to it in the OP. Feel free to fill out your name and NNID in there.

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2015, 03:48:03 AM »
Do you guys appreciate memes?

I really wish I had the money to buy a Wii U. So many good games on there that I can only tantalizingly watch. None of my friends don't have it because they just don't care about Nintendo stuff.

But Splatoon looks like a very fun game. I really want to try it.
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2015, 03:41:09 PM »
Big news: Ranked Battles are upon us! A Nintendo Direct Micro that was just released revealed that Ranked Battles, a new gun called the N-Zap '85 (obviously based on the NES Zapper), and a brand new multiplayer map, Port Mackerel, will all be added to Splatoon at 7 P.M. Pacific/10 P.M. Eastern today. I don't know if the N-Zap will be worth using over the Jr. or Aerospray if what you're looking for is ink coverage, but that new map seems very intriguing. The crates look like they can only be accessed by jumping across the tops of them, not by climbing up the sides, which should emphasis controlling the high ground. And I don't know about anyone else, but I'm expecting tons of Inkstrike loadouts in Splat Zones. Death from above indeed. :V

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2015, 04:53:45 AM »
I'm holding off on ranked until at least 15, but I like how it isn't just more turf war.

I'm getting tired of still using the Jr, but I need a weapon that is rapid fire with the Bubbler, and that's the only option. Full gun customization pls Nintendo

N-Forza

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2015, 08:40:47 AM »
I imagine that's part of how they're trying to keep things balanced and offer a variety of options so not everyone is using the exact same high-level weapons.

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2015, 09:19:56 AM »
I am only good with the roller type weapons, the others, the splatoonshoter i can't aim well with, the sniper i can't get the hang of, and the charger still haven't tried out.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2015, 11:31:02 AM »
I imagine that's part of how they're trying to keep things balanced and offer a variety of options so not everyone is using the exact same high-level weapons.
There's enough variety of specials and subs that even with customization there won't be much overlap between what the players at the high end are using. It'll still keep the game feeling fresh.

Tamashii Kanjou

• TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2015, 12:02:39 PM »
Ranked battles have been great in regards to the payoff for a win; getting hold of items and weapons much quicker thanks to the boost in gold you get. Same can be said for the exp. Yes, it carries the risk that if you lose, you gain nothing; unless you take it to a time-out, then you still get a handful of points. So yeah, it's certainly nice~

I've been on the new map once so far... and it's so easy to close an entire team off at their starting point if they don't know what they're doing. It was brutal how no one could move out; felt really bad for them. But it's all a learning experience for everyone; and you'll always have a player who isn't quite sure what to do~

It's still fun, regardless; and I hope I can play with some of you at some point~ <3

N-Forza

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2015, 02:52:12 PM »
BTW, if anyone needs the Boy or Girl Inkling amiibos, let me know. I got spares I'll willing to sell for reasonable prices.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2015, 03:37:28 PM »
I've got a spare girl amiibo and will gladly sell it for an outrageous and exorbitant price!

Seriously though, hmu if you need the girl

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2015, 03:42:18 PM »
I think you should sell all your amiibos for maximum profit, and then donate all proceeds to the Muscular Dystrophy Association.

You know.

Spoiler:
Jerry's Squids.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2015, 05:04:38 PM »
I think you should sell all your amiibos for maximum profit, and then donate all proceeds to the Muscular Dystrophy Association.

You know.

Spoiler:
Jerry's Squids.
UGH!

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2015, 05:27:33 PM »
Do you guys know about the UK shipment of amiibos getting stolen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9AFcO-yXjE