Author Topic: ITT: We praise the forgotten (and delicious) Touhou Characters.  (Read 84751 times)

Contempt

Re: ITT: We praise the forgotten (and delicious) Touhou Characters.
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2009, 03:36:43 AM »
Speaking of forgotten characters, any one else think characters from past games like Remilia and Yuyuko will gradually never be heard of again in future games?

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2009, 03:41:05 AM »
I doubt it. Even if that did happen, they'd never be considered forgotten. Hell, Rumia's never appeared since EoSD outside of StB and she's done quite well for herself.

The problem is more that the majority of the Touhou fandom refuses to acknowledge PC-98 like it's a rule.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2009, 03:43:07 AM »
Speaking of forgotten characters, any one else think characters from past games like Remilia will gradually never be heard of again in future games?

Oh god, don't get my hopes up.

Seriously, though, I do think that the older characters will gradually fade out with time. ... or they'll be completely shafted and rehauled a la PC-98. This cast is too large to maintain.

That said, the fandom will keep them well and alive anyway.

@ Donut: What about me, then? ;_;

« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2009, 04:01:11 AM »
The other windows characters get fairly regular attention and cameos in stuff like the fighting games and StB.  Not to mention ZUN has made all manner of spinoff works like SSiB and CiLR to expand on them, so they're doing allright.  But, like Ruro said, if ZUN continues with his 'one game a year' plan, the current cast is going to get really huge really fast, and being able to develop all of them would be quite a task.

And lastly, all you pc-98 fanboys/girls can start whining when I see me some more decent Seihou fanart.  Even VIVIT only has like 10 pictures of her all over the internets...

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2009, 04:06:38 AM »
And lastly, all you pc-98 fanboys/girls can start whining when I see me some more decent Seihou fanart.  Even VIVIT only has like 10 pictures of her all over the internets...

Oh kid, you don't want to get me started. And the fact that you're not a kid is irrelevant. <3 <3 VIVIT. But Hirano has NO fanart. Really. I've looked. (And then I gave up.)
No, wait. She does have fanart. But I drew it all. :V

For some reason, my Seihou folder is within my PC-98 folder. Huh.

LordVant

• I'm a strange type of crazy...the one you love and fear
  • Do not challenge the gateguard
« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2009, 04:10:06 AM »
Yeah but still, ZUN can only make so many characters before he starts running short on ideas. Then again he doesn't go incredibly in-depth into the characters' backgrounds so he's no doubt got a lot of different powers and abilities to go through.

FIGHT!

nintendonut888

« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2009, 04:18:01 AM »
ZUN only ever focuses on characters from stage 4 and up anyway.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2009, 04:24:48 AM »
I'm of the opinion that ZUN needs to have more characters who first appear as playables. I think Reimu is all alone in that regard up to now.

nintendonut888

« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2009, 04:28:18 AM »
I'm of the opinion that ZUN needs to have more characters who first appear as playables. I think Reimu is all alone in that regard up to now.

Ellen
Kotohime
Kana
Chiyuri
Yumemi
Suika
Medicine
Komachi
Sikieki
Aya (in the games at least)
Iku
Tenshi

Sodium

• pew pew lasers
« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2009, 04:34:30 AM »
You know who escaped the PC 98 death? Yuki and Mai. They went and got employed at Samidare's Extra stage. Oh, and some Mr.Ghosties went with them. =3

VIVIT has a nice theme in Samidare.

ZUN only ever focuses on characters from stage 4 and up anyway.
Alice.

« Reply #70 on: April 26, 2009, 04:44:37 AM »
Though they had no dialogue at all, and just looked like two floating glowy orbs.  Not much of an escape really.

I also just realized, and I can't believe it took me this long:  Yuyuko's hat looks a lot like those triangular head-dress things the pc-98 ghosties wore.  Another one of ZUN's throwbacks to the olden days, it seems.  Or maybe Yuyuko was also once a weakling ghost before ascending to the throne of the dead, and got mowed down in one of the pc-98 games.

And VIVIT has awesome themes in general.  See SSG stage 6.

« Reply #71 on: April 26, 2009, 04:46:34 AM »
Though they had no dialogue at all, and just looked like two floating glowy orbs.  Not much of an escape really.

I also just realized, and I can't believe it took me this long:  Yuyuko's hat looks a lot like those triangular head-dress things the pc-98 ghosties wore.  Another one of ZUN's throwbacks to the olden days, it seems.  Or maybe Yuyuko was also once a weakling ghost before ascending to the throne of the dead, and got mowed down in one of the pc-98 games.

And VIVIT has awesome themes in general.  See SSG stage 6.
iirc japanese cartoon ghosts always have that hat

« Reply #72 on: April 26, 2009, 04:48:38 AM »
iirc japanese cartoon ghosts always have that hat

Oh. Well that just goes to show my amazing knowledge of Japanese culture :P

« Reply #73 on: April 27, 2009, 08:15:07 PM »
I suppose i should feel ashamed for not caring much about pre-windows characters but i'm afraid thats how it is. Mima is awesome though.

Its too bad there isn't much high quality doujin material about the PC98's. I would love to get to know them better.

Kanako Yasaka

« Reply #74 on: April 27, 2009, 10:24:20 PM »
Well the easiest way would be to PLAY THE GAMES.

nintendonut888

« Reply #75 on: April 27, 2009, 10:40:54 PM »
Please, who'd do that?

« Reply #76 on: April 28, 2009, 01:24:24 AM »
I would love to get to know them better.

Difficult. ZUN doesn't give any thought to the characters' personalities (besides Reimu and Marisa) outside of their in-game dialog and profiles. Apart from that you'll have to look to fanon.

Ellen
Kotohime
Kana
Chiyuri
Yumemi
Suika
Medicine
Komachi
Sikieki
Aya (in the games at least)
Iku
Tenshi

Bleh. Should have specified that fighting and VS shooting game characters don't count because they have to be playable anyway. I was referring to characters who first appear as playables in a traditional (read: danmaku) Touhou game. I'll admit I forgot about Aya, though, but Rin Satsuki would have been the first since Reimu to start out as a non-boss.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 01:28:21 AM by Recon 5 »

nintendonut888

« Reply #77 on: April 28, 2009, 01:28:51 AM »
That's actually the charm of PC-98 characters; Since nobody characterizes any of them in fanon due to the lack of it, you're free to interpret the characters however you want. It's not as though fanon personalities had anything more to work off of anyway (although PC-98 Touhous do generally get less personality than the PC Touhous).

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #78 on: April 28, 2009, 01:29:46 AM »
Luize is the best non-final-boss PC-98 character.

She's a demon tourist, how awesome is that?

Kanako Yasaka

« Reply #79 on: April 28, 2009, 01:31:01 AM »

She's a yandere demon tourist, how awesome is that?
fix'd

nintendonut888

« Reply #80 on: April 28, 2009, 01:31:29 AM »
Not as awesome as an angellic demon clearly.

Kanako Yasaka

« Reply #81 on: April 28, 2009, 01:34:13 AM »
Or the Angel of Death.
Or the only human final boss who fights with SCIENCE!(NO I AM NOT COUNTING LUNARIANS)
Or the extremely adorable Girl Scout who got KILLED by Reimu.
Or the Hellish Moon.
Or the Astral Knight.
Or the creator of hell.

...okay I'll stop.

« Reply #82 on: April 28, 2009, 01:56:37 AM »
Needs more NUCLEAR MEIDO. With the arrival of Atomic Crow Reimu has all the more reason to get her out of the closet.

Demonlord Pichu

« Reply #83 on: April 28, 2009, 02:39:58 AM »

She's a demon tourist, how awesome is that?
I approve of this message~

Or the extremely adorable Girl Scout who got KILLED by Reimu.
S-She's not dead, she's only been sleeping for a really long time, she'll wake up. ;_;
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 02:42:49 AM by Demonlord OwlBear »

« Reply #84 on: April 28, 2009, 02:41:25 AM »
Needs more NUCLEAR MEIDO. With the arrival of Atomic Crow Reimu has all the more reason to get her out of the closet.
http://dizzy.pestermom.com/?p=thcomic19
http://dizzy.pestermom.com/?p=thcomic27

... though speaking of Orange, I have ideas for her, too ...

« Reply #85 on: April 28, 2009, 10:48:03 AM »
Reincarnation makes anything look awesome.

Am I the only one who doesn't really mourn the death of PC-98?  They're good, sure, but Windows Touhou has plenty of stuff and is generally of a higher quality.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 03:21:36 PM by SP »

« Reply #86 on: April 28, 2009, 02:36:58 PM »
We don't miss the games, we just miss the characters.

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #87 on: April 28, 2009, 03:48:11 PM »
The hell we don't.

nintendonut888

« Reply #88 on: April 28, 2009, 06:24:05 PM »

Uh huh. The games were terrible. -_-

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #89 on: April 28, 2009, 06:31:43 PM »
Uh huh. The games were terrible. -_-

Then why do you keep telling me that you like Shinki's background? That's the most dizzying boss battle background I've ever seen.

.... wait, I forgot MS stage 4. lol @ white bullets against a bright-blue-and-white background