Author Topic: Etrian Odyssey (+Persona Q) Thread - New EO Games For Everyone!~  (Read 121576 times)

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
Re: Etrian Odyssey (+Persona Q) Thread - New EO Games For Everyone!~
« Reply #240 on: July 16, 2015, 07:56:01 PM »
Etrian Odyssey Untold 2: The Fafnir Knight...'s demo is out!

You can class change after a certain point and take a look at all the new class trees. 
Spoiler:
Hexers can now turn allies into suicide bombs and then ressurect them with necromancy.  Melee Alchemists are a skill tree.  Troubadours have TP Monarch March.
  And more!

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #241 on: July 17, 2015, 03:21:31 AM »
A snail twoshots my party.

Etrian Odyssey, I love you.

Also after that last post, I not only beat EOU with five Survivalists, I also completed it with five Hexers.  end my suffering

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #242 on: July 17, 2015, 04:49:14 AM »
A lot of the skill names in EOU2 are really goofy. XD
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #243 on: August 04, 2015, 10:24:31 PM »
ETRIAN ODYSSEY UNTOLD 2: THE FAFNIR KNIGHT IS NOW OUT

MULTIPLE SAVE SLOTS

BETTER GRIMOIRE STONES SYSTEM

EXTRA DUNGEON IS NOW AVAILABLE IN STORY MODE PROPERLY

theshirn

« Reply #244 on: August 04, 2015, 11:20:19 PM »
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

around halfway through the 5th floor

it's so good to be back

and not doing a scc this time :derp:

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

CF7

• Can you feel the LOVE tonight?
« Reply #245 on: August 06, 2018, 05:59:56 PM »
I felt a really strong urge to necropost.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NeoQFpmGzQ
P3P FeMC. :getdown:
Sometimes rumors are just... rumors

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #246 on: August 06, 2018, 06:45:31 PM »
As with Warioware Gold, bummed this is a 3DS game and not a Switch game. Looks great though, definitely definitely going to play regardless.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #247 on: August 06, 2018, 08:16:00 PM »
Augh! Gimme time to catch up! I'm starting up EO:U again (again) and have EO4 on the back burner. Between Cross, this, and whatever the heck that other EO vid on Atlus's channel was about, there's a whole lot of this stuff going down recently.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Suwako Moriya

• Hey you with the pretty face
  • Welcome to the human race!
The only thing this dimension does well is show its ass. We might as well applaud it! - Albert Burneko

Well, this game happened.

CF7

« Reply #249 on: August 16, 2018, 07:15:16 AM »
That's very good news. I didn't expect English release that soon. And it includes EU as well, which is even better.

CF7

« Reply #250 on: February 05, 2019, 07:42:42 PM »
So... Nexus is out.
After sitting for like an hour at guild menu i decided to do something rather experimental.
Front: Hero, Troubadour Princess, Monk Pugilist.
Back: Zodiac, Arcanist.

Edit: Explored first floor of the first dungeon to the point "Let's go back and report stuff".
So far it's been more or less standard first floor of the first stratum with a twist, that you're given a healer that restores party's hp at the end of the battle. Heroic a.k.a. "Expert, but you can't change the difficulty" is fun. Like "enemies bringing you frontliners to the single digit hp with their attacks" fun.

Thoughts on classess i picked.
Hero is all around solid, their after images could potentially do some nasty damage, party heal (small), when using skills is kinda nice.
Princess is more or less what they were in EO 2. Buffs, heals, etc.
Pugilists have been hit with the nerf bat rather hard. Now they do relatively low damage. Thunder Fist is now a Master skill, which makes me sad sad sad...
Zodiac is doing rather good so far, but that's expected. Not sure how it will hold midgame and beyond, but i think i can make it work. I sure do miss the potential of Omnimancer Warlocks. That was the best mage in series hands down.
Arcanist. Well, it is on its way progressing from "almost completely useless" to "situationally not useless" to "really good" eventually.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 09:12:32 AM by CF7 »

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #251 on: February 06, 2019, 12:56:00 PM »
So... Nexus is out.
After sitting for like an hour at guild menu i decided to do something rather experimental.
Front: Hero, Troubadour Princess, Monk Pugilist.
Back: Zodiac, Arcanist.
This is actually really close to the party I was going to use! The harbinger I had in 5 was my MVP, so I was just going to have one aboard instead of an arcanist. Arcs were a pretty sweet team player in 4, though.

Man, I thought I had my games in order. Then RE2 came out and I was reminded that I shouldn't be such an SMT scrub. Once I wipe out SMT4 I'll be on board though.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Suwako Moriya

• Hey you with the pretty face
  • Welcome to the human race!
« Reply #252 on: February 06, 2019, 01:18:39 PM »
Taoist Odyssey rides on for one last go-around! I was super boring and went Hero (Miko)/Protector (Yoshika)/Medic (Seiga)/Gunner(Futo...with a gun)/Zodiac (Tojiko).
The only thing this dimension does well is show its ass. We might as well applaud it! - Albert Burneko

Well, this game happened.

CF7

« Reply #253 on: February 06, 2019, 05:03:49 PM »
So, first boss beaten. Hurray. Hero is too OP. You get aoe heal when using skills. After images use skills. That also procs aoe heal. I smell cheat.
Also i kinda dislike how they nerfed Arcanists. Circles now only do stuff at the end of a turn and not when circle is cast. They still have shit agility delay on them, so it's mostly a moot point, but eh. Also pugs are kinda weird. They have the highest HP totals, but paper defences.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 05:12:23 PM by CF7 »

theshirn

« Reply #254 on: February 06, 2019, 09:49:45 PM »
ugh I have no money, dunno when I'm gonna get the chance to pick this up :(

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #255 on: February 07, 2019, 02:39:15 AM »
ugh I have no money, dunno when I'm gonna get the chance to pick this up :(
Yeah I've been out of work for awhile so same. I watched Krimmy play it in japanese tho' so I'm okay with being late to the game.

Kinda interested in using Harbinger. In EO5 they looked like far too much of a pain to use, but here in EOX (EON??) miasma armor is guaranteed autocast from lv1, plus they can get 5 tp regen every turn for really low SP investment at lv20. They actually look really convenient.

I really wanted to use Farmer but most of their skills (e.g. ailment success rates) are even worse than EO3, and subclassing
Spoiler:
comes EXTREMELY late in this game.
. IIRC status infliction on attack skills for EOX is [attack stat]*2+LUC so farmer luck is unnecessary. They really look like dead weight until at least past lv40 apart from force breaking.

Also yeah, hero's passive healing is really good, and solo hero actually absolutely trashes most of the bosses as a result by making 4~5 mirages that turn into more mirages.

One thing I noticed is that -every- class carries at least one legitimately nuke-tier skill, including every support class. Even Sovereign looks like it can do comparable damage to zodiac if it really wanted to, just not on turn one. (Force puts it into zodiac's favor, but obviously Zodiac is meant exclusively for nuking)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 02:46:36 AM by Serela »
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

CF7

« Reply #256 on: February 09, 2019, 04:20:24 PM »
Progress report.
I think i am close to clearing Primitive Jungle.
Spoiler:
Rescued Shilleka and Leo

Giant's Ruins can go die in a fire. That gimmick was not fun. Well, i've cleared it up to the boss, but haven't attempted it yet since i it kinda looks scary, but who knows.
Finally reached level 20. So, Veteran Skills, yay.
My Arcanist can now do stuff other than Circle -> Guard or plinking some enemies with Volt Strike (Owl Staff +5). Mainly debuffs. That could have been achieved by bringing Harbinger, from the start, but front row is already crowded as is.
Junko, i mean, my Zodiac is actually doing rather good all things considered. She required some setup, but i am quite content so far.
Hero is OP.
Princess is OP too.
Pugilist got all skill points pumped into binds and status attack up for now.

Edit: Beaten
Spoiler:
Wyvern. And Fenrir
I am sick to death of all the green now. Couldn't they have picked pretty much any other locations to be your first 5?
Edit 2. Just beat
Spoiler:
Narm... er... i mean Wicked Silurus. Hearing remix of Hoist the Sword and Pride in the Heart was pretty hype
Edit 3. Also killed a
Spoiler:
Kangaroo, so my Pug got a really nice weapon upgrade.
Edit 4: Finished 5th stratum.
Spoiler:
And, yes, "stratum". It's 5 floors long with 5th floor being rather large with an added gimmick of the boss. Said gimmick is not that involved with the floor, but it's there. And huge turtle not resisting phys, having a bunch of statuses and adds was kinda surprising. It's not that you expect from a huge turtle.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 11:24:41 AM by CF7 »

CF7

« Reply #257 on: February 27, 2019, 10:27:11 AM »
So, reached the final maingame labyrinth in Nexus.
Spoiler:
Bl?t the Hero and his army of clones
was kinda fun.
Spoiler:
Also Hexer is in the game, but it's not playble
. Hooray.
At level 85 decided to have a rematch against
Spoiler:
Lamia and snakes
and she's pretty unchanged from her EO V self.
So, classes.

Front.
Hero/Imperial doing hero's things. Plus hp up, elemental atk up and TP restore on hitting weakness from imp sub.
Sovereign/Medic mainly buffs, Negotiation, occasional cleanse/revive. Since i got
Spoiler:
Lamia's conditional as well
thinking about subbing Survivalist just for that weapon's effect alone.
Pugilist/Harbinger does binds and not much else. Wish they haven't nerfed pug's damage this much. Considering how SP heavy pugs are, i pretty much subbed Harb just for a little bit extra of status attack up. Still, damage is okay, but even at level 87 it's still not fully online, so to speak.

Back
Zodiac/Shogun. Mostly happy with it. Shogun is here to boost Multi-strike Meteors for FOEs/Bosses. Does okay in randoms with Stars/Binaries/Ether Strike.
Arcanist/Harbinger. Status Circles, Eyes for debuffs, and miasma skills for little more debuffs, etc. Plus pretty much always active Miasma Armor, due to it having 50% chance of activating on Miasma skills and Eyes. It's amazing.

I have only 2,5 damage dealers, but the team has so much sustain, so it's not that big of a problem. Plus getting most conditionals has been relatively easy so far.

Edit: First encounter on B3 for me was an ambush by
Spoiler:
a muskoid and those 2 black bunnies. Muskoid petrifies half the party on ambush turn and bunnies spam their electric attack. Muskoid then petrefies the rest of my team.
GAME OVER. Well, not really since
Spoiler:
petrify is nerfed, but bunnies almost managed to kill everyone and i managed to flee with 1 character alive after petrify wore off.
FUN!
Edit: Beaten the final boss. It was so stupidly easy, i am not qutie sure where to even start. Oh, right. Weak to everything, Let's drop a Bunch of Meteors on its stupid head followed by Regiment Rave. Repeat a few times.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 06:07:34 PM by CF7 »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #258 on: June 09, 2019, 11:51:41 PM »
Picked up my copy of Persona Q2 yesterday. I had a hard time finding it, very few stores are stocking it and the ones that are only got a couple of copies. This feels like a recipe for a game that's going to triple in price in the next few years. It's the last game on a Nintendo console, it has a low print run, and it's that perfect mix of a popular series and a relatively unpopular release. Feels like a Fire Emblem Path of Radiance sort of situation to me, if I see a second copy in the wild in a few weeks I may pick it up and keep it sealed.

CF7

« Reply #259 on: June 10, 2019, 09:29:59 AM »
I got it from e-shop, since finding it in my country is next to impossible.
Boss of the first movie on Hard is one of the more frustrating things i've encountered in a video game.
Currenlty near the end of the second movie. It's really fun, but i am not sure if this is Hard difficulty problem, but it feels like the only reliable damage source you have is AoA.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 09:39:23 AM by CF7 »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #260 on: June 15, 2019, 05:24:10 PM »
It took me a while to slog my way through the super boring opening hour, but now that I'm actually playing the game it's pretty fun. Hard mode does feel very hard, regular enemies can cleanly kill any of my party members in two hits, but I'm not too far in so I haven't picked up any extra secondary personas or anything yet.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #261 on: June 17, 2019, 02:32:36 AM »
Dear lord you're not kidding about the first boss. It feels like you have no breathing room at all in that fight, which means you're pretty much required to have figured out all of his weaknesses and mechanics in advance of several doomed fights, and even then one unlucky turn of sleep or weird turn order means you lose. I'm not even really sure how I beat him, I just got him stunlocked which I didn't think was something that could happen in this battle system. And unless I missed it there's no visual indication or dialog cue that he gains a weakness at some point, I just got lucky and happened to hit it. Bad fight, not fun. But I keep hearing the second dungeon is great, so I'm definitely looking forward to that.

CF7

« Reply #262 on: June 17, 2019, 08:18:37 AM »
Dear lord you're not kidding about the first boss. It feels like you have no breathing room at all in that fight, which means you're pretty much required to have figured out all of his weaknesses and mechanics in advance of several doomed fights, and even then one unlucky turn of sleep or weird turn order means you lose. I'm not even really sure how I beat him, I just got him stunlocked which I didn't think was something that could happen in this battle system. And unless I missed it there's no visual indication or dialog cue that he gains a weakness at some point, I just got lucky and happened to hit it. Bad fight, not fun. But I keep hearing the second dungeon is great, so I'm definitely looking forward to that.
There's no indication that the boss gains a weakness, but when i fought himб he instantly used elemental Wall that negates it for 3 turns, after being hit with it once.
Second dungeon is pretty fun, + you get P4 crew relatively early there as well. Second boss has one rather obvious weakness considering the type of a boss he is. Then there's one rather not obvious thing, but they tell you repeatedly what to do.
I really enjoyed third movie and the boss was frustrating doing blind, since it's rather resource intense fight.
Currenlty in the fourth movie and it's kinda unsettling in a weird way, but that's because [REDACTED].
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 09:20:28 AM by CF7 »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #263 on: June 17, 2019, 11:05:22 AM »
There's no indication that the boss gains a weakness, but when i fought himб he instantly used elemental Wall that negates it for 3 turns, after being hit with it once.

Ha ha what he didn't do that at all for me. That's dumb. What level were you? My guys were all level 12 except Minako who was 11, and I feel like I definitely would have lost if I hadn't been able to seriously abuse that weakness.

Did you destroy both of his arms? I just got rid of one of them. I had just completely run out of MP by the end and was coasting on boost chains, and it only worked because he never got a chance to attack.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 11:08:57 AM by commandercool »

CF7

« Reply #264 on: June 17, 2019, 11:19:49 AM »
I fought him at level 13 so Morgana would learn Media.
I did the fight "fair" so to speak. Once you break both carrots he switches phases, gains 2 attacks per turn (one of them is something like 200+ damage to a single target), gains weakness to fire and use Fire Wall as a counter to hitting him with any weakness (he also uses Fire Wall if you land a crit on him).
The sorta cheese strat is to break one carrot, poison him (from what i understand he's programmed to switch phases at a certain %), That bugs him out, and that's what happened to you i guess.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 11:32:25 AM by CF7 »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #265 on: June 17, 2019, 12:30:06 PM »
Oh weird. Yeah I did that totally by accident. I don't think I would have had enough MP to break both arms first if I wanted to, much less finish him off after. Especially if his weakness goes away immediately. Maybe if I had more Revival Beads, is there a reliable way to get more of those before the fight?

Also, compared to the first game a couple of things feel nerfed. Lucky Punch feels much weaker, I don't know how it works exactly but it feels like the hit chance drastically drops against stronger enemies. And support actions feel like they charge much much slower.

I'm assuming this is one of those RPGs where the first stretch is the hardest because you have no items and no options, but it gets easier the more stuff you have access to. Not really an ideal difficulty curve, but not uncommon in Japanese games.

CF7

« Reply #266 on: June 17, 2019, 01:03:44 PM »
Theo sells Gutsy Fries from the beginning. It's only 10% revive, but they are unlimited and rather cheap. IIRC you get Immortal Chicken - 30% revive in 2nd movie and finaly get access to Revival Bead 50% in the 3rd.

Lucky Punch is pretty inaccurate, so i didn't really bother with it.

The first movie is pretty much the hardest part of the game. Your choices of party members are very limited, you can't fuse anything strong yet. Blank Cards are not accessible yet, etc.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 02:30:10 PM by CF7 »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #267 on: June 17, 2019, 02:53:39 PM »
The fries seemed like a losing strategy, at least if someone on the front row went down. That carrot gun attack kept immediately re-killing them. I guess I should have brought two Line Guard users.

I found Lucky Punch to be super valuable throughout all of the original Persona Q but it definitely feels very niche now.

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
  • Just chilling like a hermit.
« Reply #268 on: June 19, 2019, 03:36:11 PM »
The fries seemed like a losing strategy, at least if someone on the front row went down. That carrot gun attack kept immediately re-killing them. I guess I should have brought two Line Guard users.
I sorta had that same problem with the first movie boss although I did get lucky that he aimed at Ryuji who had enough hp to grant me time to get Hamuko, Morgana, and Ann up.... it was annoying, but once I had enough time to boost my defenses and have Morgana to heal, he went down easily. My party was relatively close to level 20 too which made things bonkers. 
My danmakucopter goes pew pew pew!

Check out my newb PAD box it's a thing right?

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #269 on: June 19, 2019, 06:14:28 PM »
Wuuuut how did you get them that high level? It seemed like an impossible slog to get them from 12 to 13. Am I overlooking a mechanic for leveling characters aside from grinding?