Author Topic: Crawl Relay Revival, 0.14 Edition  (Read 70601 times)

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
Re: Crawl Relay Revival, 0.14 Edition
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2014, 04:00:18 PM »
I wouldn't mind the themed run either (yay Touhou RPing practice). But yeah, I just tried an ice elementalist just to see how they start out, and while their starting spell is okay, its melee nature along with a not-so-great spell failure rate makes them slightly awkward to use. Hopefully the dungeon will be kind and give us a bow or something, because as I've learned about rogue-likes in general, melee can quickly become pain.
Crawl Melee isn't actually too painful with a little bit of skill and decent defenses, Merfolk at least make up for it on the skill part, although defenses and harming magic don't mix terribly well.

I agreed with VS since it's the 'new' race and they can do most things bar Heavy Melee pretty well. They have a faux vampirism attack and have really great regen too so they excel quite a bit in melee, and have the magic apts and MP to do any kind of magic too.

We could do a touhou theme but I'd like it if totaku actually got his touhou crawl mod working for .14 first, and we all know he's too addicted to Kancolle to do anything productive.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 04:02:10 PM by NekoNekoFever »
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2014, 04:11:43 PM »
Would it be too much of a stretch to call a vinestalker Minoriko? XD She's... vaguely fitting... maybe... Vine Stalker does seem like a cool species, and it's new, yeah. I guess I should sign up for the relay toooooo, yeah.
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

UncertainJakutten

• Then you should get out of the way when I tell you
  • Do you not trust my aim?
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2014, 04:13:41 PM »
You don't have to go for a touhou per se either (though naturally you can if you want). I'm kind of ok at Crawl so I can help answer any questions you have about the various options.

Raitaki

• 雷滝
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2014, 04:32:11 PM »
Mechanically, VS could fit fairies imo. Glassy but can bounce back well, and good with magic and stealth. As for the no healing part, well you wouldn't expect forces of nature to heal the same way everyone else does :V

So yeah, VS Ice Elementalist Cirno? :3c
Serela you better not protect the death streak when it inevitably comes >:C
Edit: Soooo when are we starting, anyhow?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 01:54:43 PM by Raitaki »
[08:23 pm]  Aristocrat -- Raitaki on a scale of 1 to 10 your current mafia game play is annoying as fuck
[08:25 pm]  Aristocrat -- Raitaki, if both of us ended up as mafia
[08:25 pm]  Aristocrat -- I would be so angry
[08:25 pm]  Aristocrat -- that I will snap and give into my rage

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2014, 02:59:21 PM »
When you all agree to something and Totaku confirms starting it :P. Though I suppose I'd like some consensus by the 16th.

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2014, 03:04:19 PM »
I'm fine with either the Wakasagihime suggestion or the Cirno suggestion. I'm just going to practice with both in the meanwhile so that when my turn comes along, I won't be completely clueless as to how to run an Ice Elementalist of either race. :V
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2014, 03:19:54 PM »
I still don't get why it has to be an obligatory touhou character instead of an interesting build. We still don't have Totaku's touhou mod.
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2014, 03:22:10 PM »
It doesn't have to be, but they're the only suggestions so far besides the VS Warper (which I'd be fine with as well, I honestly will go along with any build as long as we can decide on one) and to be honest I don't have any ideas of my own.

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2014, 03:27:06 PM »
never played IE myself, it could work I guess since it has a good melee form. Also summon Ice Beast later.

iirc the high level Ice spells got changed a bit too, although that might just be for Trunk.

Totaku

• The Traveling Otaku of Gensokyo
  • I want to be a little NEET moon princess
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2014, 03:53:14 PM »
I still don't get why it has to be an obligatory touhou character instead of an interesting build. We still don't have Totaku's touhou mod.

Because at this point, it doesn't matter Rex. I'm slowly getting back to working on the mod. And it won't be much different from the vinnila version to a degree just more Touhoufied graphics on the most part and text.

Personally I do not mind playing as a Touhou character. Because we actually did this LONG before I started modding this.

Personal opinion though: Cirno as a vine stalker seems odd. Vine Stalker seems more like Yuuka's territory, even with the frailness. I always saw faires being more like Spriggans since they are also creatures that are attuned to nature. Plus I just can't see faires being anything but Vegiterians. But that's just me.

And I will note, I've done a Spriggan Ice elementalist before, and the results were awesome! But that was back at 0.13, never tested 0.14.

But at this point, I don't mind the suggestions you gave out.

The idea about doing Wakasagihime was because Merfolks are generally good hybrids in the long run.

So we have ATM:

Wagasagihime: Merfolk Ice Elementalist

Cirno: Spriggan or Vine Stalker Ice Elementalist

And yes Ice spells actually changed with this version. So many of the later spells are different.

If you make up your mind, I'll give UK the green light so we can get started.

Also in terms of my mod, when it gets completed, I'll probably do a Crawl run of my own later this year.
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otaku Kind.
Tsunami Channel Home of  Japanese webcomics Artist Akira Hasegawa.
My Deviant Art site gallery
Now I Twitter

Raitaki

• 雷滝
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2014, 06:38:05 PM »
Hmmm let's vote. It seems we're going for IE and I guess I'm fine with that as long as I don't have to deal with the first turn :V As for race, I'm voting for VS or Spriggan, equal weight for each.
[08:23 pm]  Aristocrat -- Raitaki on a scale of 1 to 10 your current mafia game play is annoying as fuck

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2014, 06:39:27 PM »
And I will note, I've done a Spriggan Ice elementalist before, and the results were awesome! But that was back at 0.13, never tested 0.14.
Spriggan mage isn't fun, it's just a needlessly hard challenge run.
>-3 Conj Apt
>-2 Ice Magic Apt
>No HP
>No Armor
It's suicidal. At least give us a race where we can use all the cool artifact helmets/gloves/boots/etc we find.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 06:45:20 PM by NekoNekoFever »

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2014, 07:41:45 PM »
I don't want to do Spriggan if it means as IE we start with weakened Ice Magic (I checked that myself, and when I saw the weakened skill I kind of cried a little inside). So I vote for Merfolk IE/Wakasagihime.

Raitaki

• 雷滝
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2014, 07:51:32 PM »
Hmm, looks like a 3 way tie (I'm seeing Totaku = Spriggan/Merfolk, Validon = Merfolk, NNR = VS, me = VS/Spriggan), so I guess I'll just agree with Merfolk to please the most amount of (other) people. Sorry NNR :V

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2014, 07:55:01 PM »
I don't think Totaku actually voted for anything.

Merfolk IE is actually a bit too easy to do, since they have pretty ridiculously high aptitudes for ice magic and hybrid fighting, and I'd rather not make the game a total breeze.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2014, 02:06:57 AM »
I vote for VS Warper. It sounds pretty fun. Also I do officially sign up for this (if I don't do it now you'll never be able to goad me into signing up because I'm lazy)
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Totaku

« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2014, 02:33:13 PM »
I didn't really vote, but if I did I would have used a Merfolk Ice elementalist because:

Keep in mind besides us veteran players, we have less experience players here too. I want to aim to give everyone the best experience with the game as possible. That way they'll play longer. In most cases if ends up being 2 or so player volleying between each other in the end. So by using a more easier race we can increase the chances others will stay in.

Merfolks are a good balanced race for this case.

Vinestalkers are kind of a glass cannon of sorts they require some understand of the game's mechanics to use properly.
Now I Twitter

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2014, 02:38:12 PM »
OK, I'm calling it here. You're playing MfIE. Totaku's argument is also exactly right, though I have heard that one you get a VS started, you can go pretty far with them.

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2014, 04:59:44 PM »
Oh rats. I didn't want to play a really generic combo but I guess we're stuck with it.

Totaku

« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2014, 05:00:52 PM »
Ok, since UK called it. I went and talked to her for a bit to see what we're going to do based on turn of order and such. So more or less, orders will be assigned based on when you signed up. Which means based on UK's list:

We will be going in the following order:

Totaku
Raitiki
NekoNekoRex
Validon
Serela
UncertainKitten

We haven't decided on a name for our merfolk Ice elementalist but I know people were leaning toward a Touhou character so is Wakasagihime ok with everyone?

If so I can use this I put together. (I will share you all file for this if you want [It's optional BTW])

« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 07:18:25 PM by Totaku »
Now I Twitter

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2014, 05:02:23 PM »
Isn't UK playing?

And yeah, I suppose the sprite is fine.

Raitaki

• 雷滝
« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2014, 05:22:50 PM »
Yup, that's fine. I'd like to play with the sprite, too, and a graphic mod for other things in the game would be even more appreciated!

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2014, 05:49:05 PM »
I'm completely fine with the sprite and the name. Of course, You're up first Totaku. Good luck with the early game (although since you're a veteran of this, it shouldn't be too bad for you unless the RNG decides that a group of monsters needs to swarm you early game... like they did right on the first floor with another practice run of mine earlier :V).

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2014, 07:17:03 PM »
I'll be hopping in the order at some point. The issue is I have an FeCj guest LP on the SA Crawl thread I'm working on and I worry about overburdening myself. That said, it hasn't started yet. I suppose I'll just add myself to the list now and go after Serela.

Raitaki

• 雷滝
« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2014, 10:15:40 PM »
Also, I suggest that we do not worship Sif Muna. Free spellbooks and mana channeling are great and all, but that's kinda plain as a benefit, so a more interesting god would add more spice to relay run imo.
I suggest Kiku (rTorment and chance to resist sickness from Haunt sounds great for late game), Vehumet (also pretty plain, pretty much a more specific Sif Muna with no invocation involved) or Ashenzari (particularly nice if we decide to pick up Fulmination Prism later). I guess we can do Xom or the card god too, but older runs proved that to be a pretty rage-inducing train wreck, especially since Xom prefers to gift us things we DON'T have the skills to use :V

Also are we gonna do that thing where we replace gods with touhous?

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2014, 02:24:34 AM »
@Raitiki: Since Totaku doesn't have his touhou mod, we will be keeping the gods as is.

Kikubaaqudgha is my evilsis and I am totes ok with going her. Though more for Death's Door, because I pull off some hilarious bullshit with Death's Door. Vehumet is good for blasting, Sif Muna I haven't tried but Channeling is pretty awesome I hear. Ash I've never gotten the hang of but I hear she's powerful. Xom is probably not a good idea. Nemelex, however, is really awesome and I'm not sure why you'd lump him in with Xom. Nemelex is basically Versatility+++.

Raitaki

• 雷滝
« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2014, 02:47:17 AM »
Well I did a cursory look at the cards and some of them can have some annoying effects, especially that one card in the deck of wonders that randomly rearranges Str/Dex/Int :V Though I guess our more experienced players would know how to use decks effectively so I guess Nemelex is a possibility.

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2014, 02:55:52 AM »
Shuffle is an extremely rare effect, and you /never/ blind draw it with Nemelex anyway. Basically, Nemelex lets you fix decks for piety. Triple Draw and Stack Five are really, really powerful.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2014, 02:57:27 AM »
If we were using Kikublaghdablah with an Ice Elementalist then we could maybe do shenanigans with Simulacrum?

I'm the kind of person who never plays the game and then reads everything on the wiki (everything) because I don't know why

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2014, 02:59:45 AM »
Oh, yeah, I forgot how good simulacrum would be on a Kiku worshipper. Definitely a thought.