Author Topic: Miscellaneous Questions 5: Ask Question, Receive Answer  (Read 221087 times)

Re: Miscellaneous Questions 5: Ask Question, Receive Answer
« Reply #120 on: May 23, 2014, 05:48:09 AM »
I agree with Espadas since Remilia is so obsessed with charisma and being charismatic. So anyways, has Reimu ever go to school in her younger days? The characters that I know that goes to school is Cirno and her baka-quartet team, and Sanae before she moved to Gensokyo.

« Reply #121 on: May 23, 2014, 07:39:04 AM »
Oh, Nobu is right, I forgot about Komachi. Her character is an instance where slacking off is directly referenced.

Also, when does Miko believe herself to be perfect? Ten Desires? Hopeless Masquerade? I don't follow the dialogue of the games that closely.

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #122 on: May 23, 2014, 10:50:23 AM »
The characters that I know that goes to school is Cirno and her baka-quartet team

That's a fanon thing.

« Reply #123 on: May 23, 2014, 11:01:10 AM »
We know of no character that goes to school or has gone to school in Gensokyo. If it weren't stated that Keine is a teacher, I would doubt that a school even exists in the Human Village. Although I can't remember off the top of my head if an actual school was referred to; maybe she's just a private tutor kind of thing. The youngest human character we know is Kosuzu and she never mentions school.

There is of course no reason for a youkai or a god to go to school.

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #124 on: May 23, 2014, 11:15:24 AM »
Although I can't remember off the top of my head if an actual school was referred to

It was, in Keine's PMiSS article. Though the only connection it has to any other character is using Akyuu's recordings for lessons.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 11:19:42 AM by C.Angel »

« Reply #125 on: May 23, 2014, 11:54:14 AM »
That's a fanon thing.

Oh. okay  :X

« Reply #126 on: May 23, 2014, 08:22:38 PM »
It was, in Keine's PMiSS article. Though the only connection it has to any other character is using Akyuu's recordings for lessons.

The school also shows up in Inaba of the Moon and Earth, for what it's worth (which may or may not be much).

« Reply #127 on: May 31, 2014, 04:45:11 AM »
I wonder how big is Gensokyo? The size of Singapore? And where is it located in Japan? If Zun hasn't made any statements about that, maybe headcanons will help?

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #128 on: May 31, 2014, 04:58:46 AM »
I wonder how big is Gensokyo? The size of Singapore? And where is it located in Japan? If Zun hasn't made any statements about that, maybe headcanons will help?

Headcanons don't really help.

Size, uncertain, maybe the size of Singapore, or bigger or smaller. Also, this:
The fourth chapter of Cage in Lunatic Runagate reveals that the Youkai Mountain preserves the original appearance of Mount Yatsugatake before Konohana-Sakuyahime, the goddess of Mount Fuji, tore it down out of jealousy. In the outside world today, the remnants of the mountain can be seen as the Yatsugatake mountain range in Yatsugatake-Chūshin Kōgen Quasi-National Park between Nagano and Yamanashi Prefectures, providing a possible indication of where Gensokyo would be located in Japan. Lake Suwa (諏訪湖 Suwa-ko) and Mount Moriya, which Suwako Moriya were named after, are located nearby.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #129 on: June 01, 2014, 02:52:15 AM »
Kinda a bit of a odd question but in SoPS Kanako talks about how even though the youkai in Gensokyo can't exist in the outside world since we no longer fear or believe in them, but she gave an example that new youkai are still being created like the TV remote gremlin. If that's the case then wouldn't in that world things like slender man and many other creepy things become real youkai and exist because of peoples fear of them?
Touhou Fugyouseki ~ Nightmare of Sleeping Girl English Patch
I run a crappy YouTube channel, check it out if you wish~

« Reply #130 on: June 01, 2014, 03:09:30 AM »
I imagine it's because people know the slenderman is a fictional being created just for entertainment.  "Murphy's Law" youkai, however, are much more day to day and something a person will bring up a lot, subconsciously or not, throughout their day to day living (and even then, such "youkai" are short-lived because people don't believe in them THAT strongly so much as just wonder if some unknown being is screwing with them when they're having a particularly bad day).

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #131 on: June 01, 2014, 03:23:06 AM »
I wasn't sure if that would be the case or not, a youkai being able to live off of one persons fear seem too convenient. But since there wouldn't be enough fear to keep them alive would they then have to go to Gensokyo if they knew it existed or just parish?   

« Reply #132 on: June 01, 2014, 06:27:20 AM »
It's not just fear but also to explain the unknown. Kyouko, who was in danger of dissappearing because science provided an explanation for the echos in the mountains, is a good example.  "Murphy's Law" youkai come about because people instinctively want to blame SOMETHING for bad unlucky circumstances, like those days when things go wrong so you just have to wonder if some deity is screwing around with you. Even though it's really just a case of unfortunate coincidences, people pessimistically blame SOMETHING and thus the idea of Murphy's Law ("What can go wrong will go wrong") and its corresponding temporary youkai came about.  Basically nonsense given life because people invoke it often enough. Again, in this case though, they clearly don't believe it THAT much (no one actually believes Murphy's Law is actually true... I hope), but that doesn't stop them from bringing it up when things go wrong) and hence the youkai is short-lived.

Prime32

• Munch-Munch Demon
« Reply #133 on: June 01, 2014, 01:39:52 PM »
Kinda a bit of a odd question but in SoPS Kanako talks about how even though the youkai in Gensokyo can't exist in the outside world since we no longer fear or believe in them, but she gave an example that new youkai are still being created like the TV remote gremlin. If that's the case then wouldn't in that world things like slender man and many other creepy things become real youkai and exist because of peoples fear of them?
Tupai exists despite the chupacabra being invented in the mid-90s, though since it's classed as a cryptid rather than a youkai it's possible that it was always around and just never identified.

Abraham Lincoln

• Mendelssohn for President 2016
  • Make Bach Great Again!
« Reply #134 on: June 02, 2014, 06:03:22 AM »
Is fancy headgear some sort of tradition in Gensokyo? Every character seems to be proudly donning some form of head accessory, and those who do not go around with objects atop their heads have unusual ears, other things protruding out such as horns and antennae, carry umbrellas around with them or hail from outside Gensokyo where hats are optional.

« Reply #135 on: June 02, 2014, 11:23:10 AM »
Is fancy headgear some sort of tradition in Gensokyo? Every character seems to be proudly donning some form of head accessory, and those who do not go around with objects atop their heads have unusual ears, other things protruding out such as horns and antennae, carry umbrellas around with them or hail from outside Gensokyo where hats are optional.

It's just part of how ZUN makes character designs. He just keeps adding details to things he thinks aren't complicated enough, such as the tops of heads. You can also see this in the frills on their clothes. Hats being mandatory has toned down somewhat over the years though.

Tengukami

« Reply #136 on: June 02, 2014, 12:46:10 PM »
Yeah there's no answer to the question of why most 2hus wear hats other than "probably because ZUN likes hats".

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Szayelaporro Granz

• You can't use spellcards within my range
  • since I've already analyzed and sealed them all
« Reply #137 on: June 02, 2014, 05:18:48 PM »
Lust: None of the characters come to mind immediately to be honest, but I think the term "lust" could be extended to intense desire for anything, not just sexually.
For some reason Koishi came into my mind :V
Normal 1cc: LLS, MS, EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, UFO, TD, DDC / Hard 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF*, TD / Lunatic 1cc: PoFV / Extra 1cc: EoSD, PCB (+P), IN, PoFV, MoF, DDC
*Bug abuse.
Feel free to watch my crappy replays and twitch channel
My favorite touhou music

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #138 on: June 03, 2014, 02:40:21 AM »

One way I see it it can make the character look unique. With so many characters out there in all forms of media and same hair styles and what not adding things to clothes and especially the head area makes your character look different from say the rest of the 200 blondes in anime. Granted there is a lot more to it then just hats like style, eyes, and ect., it's just one way I look at it. I have yet to see any characters that look like touhou characters without headgear.

Leon゠Helsing

• 0 - The Fool
  • Pave your own path
« Reply #139 on: June 03, 2014, 05:18:44 AM »
About some of Yukari's statements in WaHH which indicate that she's not exactly on the humans' side, do you think she just prioritizes youkai first or does she actually despise humans of the outside world to a degree?

Also, this question may seem unrelated to my previous question, but can humans turn into youkai if they manifest certain powers?

Drake

« Reply #140 on: June 03, 2014, 05:30:50 AM »
About some of Yukari's statements in WaHH which indicate that she's not exactly on the humans' side, do you think she just prioritizes youkai first or does she actually despise humans of the outside world to a degree?
She pretty clearly prioritizes youkai. Gensokyo is a haven for youkai to flourish in. The humans are there mostly (only?) because it's for youkai. It doesn't really have anything to do with being / not being on "sides", because there aren't "sides", that's just how the system works.

Also, this question may seem unrelated to my previous question, but can humans turn into youkai if they manifest certain powers?
Yes, see: Ichirin and Alice

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Leon゠Helsing

• 0 - The Fool
  • Pave your own path
« Reply #141 on: June 03, 2014, 06:13:44 AM »
Regarding the semantics of the statement that "humans from the town are generally not for their eating under the contract," considering that "generally" is used, meaning that there would be exceptions, what do you suppose the exceptions would be?

Drake

« Reply #142 on: June 03, 2014, 06:52:25 AM »
That wording of the translation is honestly not the best, because of objections like that. The term 基本的 means more of "fundamentally" or "basically", rather than "generally", which implies some sort of exceptions. I'm not even sure "under the contract" is a good way to phrase it, because although Yukari is referencing this contract, she was using the previous sentences to elaborate on why the humans shouldn't be eaten; it isn't as though that last sentence is the whole statement being made. It's sort of like "this is the promise that the humans from the village, fundamentally, are not to be eaten" or some other weird phrasing.

Anyways, it is implied that humans from the village that are legitimate threats (in a sense) might "mysteriously vanish", though.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Leon゠Helsing

• 0 - The Fool
  • Pave your own path
« Reply #143 on: June 03, 2014, 11:52:56 AM »
Last one for today (over here); on a scale of 1-10, how much is the Touhou Wiki's trustworthiness?

Prime32

• Munch-Munch Demon
« Reply #144 on: June 03, 2014, 12:22:24 PM »
Last one for today (over here); on a scale of 1-10, how much is the Touhou Wiki's trustworthiness?
If you can read Japanese and are looking at the pages which are direct transcripts of the games/books, then 10. :V

Outright misinformation gets deleted very quickly, but some places might be poorly worded or leave things out.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 12:24:44 PM by Prime32 »

Tengukami

« Reply #145 on: June 03, 2014, 03:14:12 PM »
Outright misinformation gets deleted very quickly, but some places might be poorly worded or leave things out.
One caveat: ignore the "Fandom" section of any article, unless you are interested in what fandom thinks; not in what is actual canon.

I only say this because there seems to be some overlap at times in how people interpret Gensokyo (especially as seen with the insidious word "headcanon").

Koog

• I live to protect those dear to me,
  • as a good friend would.
« Reply #146 on: June 06, 2014, 04:10:37 AM »
I would like to ask what would be the relationship between Seija and Suika/Yuugi?
Mwahahahahha!

UnendingEmpire

• Jack of all trades
  • Cultured Tastes Since 1994
« Reply #147 on: June 06, 2014, 04:36:44 AM »
I would like to ask what would be the relationship between Seija and Suika/Yuugi?
There's a lot of ways it could go.  Amanojaku are kinda like oni (or at the very least, Seija could pass for one as long as she wasn't asked to prove it with muscle or liver strength) so on one hand they could be friendly.  On the other hand, oni are extremely honest and never lie.  Seija and maybe amanojaku in general, by contrast, are contrarian by nature and as such will lie their heads off.  In this scenario, neither Suika nor Yuugi would be very fond of Seija.  There's also the fact that she's probably friends with Shinmyoumaru, who was descended from the oni-slayer Issun-Boushi.  If they dislike Shinmyoumaru enough, they may also just automatically dislike Seija by extension.

On the other hand, depending on the person portraying Seija and how their Seija feels about Shinmyoumaru, the oni may end up tolerating or even liking her as a valuable way to get directly to the little princess.  The Seija in question would have to be quite a backstabber for this to happen though, and Suika/Yuugi would have to be pretty patient and tolerate her contrarian crap.  By contrast, if the oni could care less at this point, it can be all up in the air since Suika, Yuugi, and Seija can all be portrayed in various different ways.

There is one scenario - although probably unlikely - where none of the above quite applies.  Let's assume Yuugi is the type to straighten people out with tough love.  If she decided to do this with Seija, it could instead be that Yuugi likes Seija.  She's already got quite a history in fanon of pairing up with tsundere types, so why not?  Depending on the Seija and how well you can work a double negative, the like/love may eventually become mutual.  This is akin to classic Kaguya/Mokou stories in that Party A (Mokou/Seija) initially dislikes Party B (Kaguya/Yuugi) but eventually comes to like them, typically with Party B already having unrequited feelings (friendship, love, etc.) for Party A.  This could also be a scenario where Yuugi's a brash-but-good-natured onee-san type toward Seija, who would no doubt have a tough time in Former Hell with all those oni walking about.

However, like I said, it all depends on who's portraying the girls in question and numerous other variables as well, so there's no solid answer to your question.  If you're asking about how these girls would get along in canon, I'm guessing Seija would dislike them from the start (her plan having been to overthrow the strong and all) and provoke the two oni girls.  From there, Suika could either mutually hate Seija or just not care, and Yuugi would probably keep putting the amanojaku back in her place, mainly for fun.  Though there is the fact that Seija can make Yuugi's sake even drop.  Then it's a whole new ballgame.

« Reply #148 on: June 06, 2014, 06:11:25 AM »
There's also the fact that she's probably friends with Shinmyoumaru, who was descended from the oni-slayer Issun-Boushi.  If they dislike Shinmyoumaru enough, they may also just automatically dislike Seija by extension.

She's not friends with Shinmyoumaru. Impossible Spell Card confirmed that, although I think it was pretty obvious anyway.

I think the oni would hate Seija by nature. She is the anti-oni who does everything they hate while showing no signs of remorse. You could always write some convoluted twist to that premise, but you'd still have to explain why it's a twist.

Camilo113

• Luck, Resilience and Perseverance
  • Gensokyo is capable of change
« Reply #149 on: June 06, 2014, 06:24:34 AM »
When will be the next Forbidden Scrollery and Wild and Horned Hermit chapters translated  ???
It seems like the translations went on hiatus; because it's been like 6 months since the last chapter of FS was translated  :( :(

Thanks to the translators for doing such an amazing act btw even if there is just (sadly) a few people who reads the Official Manga