Author Topic: Gensou Shoujo Taisen You, Ei, Yume - Gameplay Translation into deep Dreams  (Read 364546 times)

notverycreative

• The coldest chill,
  • in the emptiness of reason.
Awright. I beat Ep1 with Marisa. And I got all the extra WP except the "defeat the three fairies of light at the same time" one, because I decided I'd rather have an extra Firefly Gem than 5 more WP.  Anyway, I noticed Kou doesn't have NG+. It just lets me rewatch the ending. Do You and Ei have an NG+ where you can start over with more money and PP and stuff?
I need an option, a reason, and some hope.

Yookie

• Blue flower
  • Green
You and Ei both have a New Game+.
You
- lets you reselect the difficulty level (you keep the one you started with if you carry over your file from a previous game)
- resets learned skills and gained levels to default, refunds an amount of PP
- resets collected items to default
- resets upgrades done with money, gives you a part of your money back

And here's a screenshot of the NG+ message for good measure

Dunno about Ei, I'll look into that in a bit. (Problem with Ei is that, unlike You, you can't finish the first mission within 2 turns that take like a minute each and it also has an unskippable intro.)

About the Firefly Gem: You'll have more than enough once you actually need them again but it's your call. :V
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 09:55:22 PM by Yookie »

notverycreative

• The coldest chill,
Can you reselect the difficulty level with a file carried from Kou and/or protagonist on NG+ so you don't have to keep two files to fill the scenario chart?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 09:57:10 PM by notverycreative »

Yookie

• Blue flower
  • Green
You can reselect both protagonist and difficulty level on NG+.
With a carry-over file you have to stick with both
and to my knowledge NG+ basically nullifies the effects from carrying over.

About Ei's: The message-box when selecting NG+ is the same and from the looks of it it works exactly the same as in You too.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 10:03:59 PM by Yookie »

notverycreative

• The coldest chill,
Oh, awesome. I forgot to ask: what about WP? Does that carry over at all? I started You with my Kou WP value, but I don't know if You NG+ would let me keep that plus what I earned from You's stages.

Yookie

• Blue flower
  • Green
uhh you get 15 WP per Stage at maximum, Kou has 15 chapters, makes 225.
You get reset to that value in You's NG+
It doesn't let you keep much at all and I really never used it.
But considering that you could potentially cheese your way through all future games by farming You over and over again with NG+ and then using that for carry-over it is for the better I suppose.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 10:12:11 PM by Yookie »

Sungho

• Custom Title
  • Personal Text
Just asking, you just made up names for some of the skills and items on purpose, am I correct?
Signature

Yookie

• Blue flower
  • Green
If I was able to properly translate something I did so, if there was an identical skill in the original SWR games I took the name from there
and in all other cases I made up something fitting that sounds good. This last one is mostly the case for character specific skills.

notverycreative

• The coldest chill,
"Farsight" is called "Ignore Range Adjustment" and Equalizer is called "Ignore Size Modifier". Sanae's other skill is technically "Maxgod", like "Dancougar Nova Maxgod".  "Fight, Koa!" is actually wordplay for "Corefighter", from Gundam. So it'd be more like "Koa Fighter" and "Koa Booster" (Corebooster).  The skill below that I think is called "Self-Healing" and the description looks like "Can use Resupply command on self (exp gain is decreased)." The green-haired girl with "Magical Touch", it's actually "Magic Charge".  I think Reisen's "All Spectrum" might be "All-Spector" instead.

Sungho

• Custom Title
  • Personal Text
Seishin Command differences compared to SRW games.
狙撃(Snipe) gives +2 range to everything that isn't a Range 1 attack (such as Patchouli's Book) or a MAP attack.
直撃(Fury) also ignores some of the special effects of danmaku.
隠れ身(Invisible) can't prevent counterattacks.
威圧(Coercion) prevents the target from expanding their danmaku on the next turn. Except for enemies with the 特殊耐性 ability.

There are other small and big errors in some descriptions, but I think I'll just wait for the final patch before pointing them out.
I, personally, won't care how you translated the names of the skills.
Signature

notverycreative

• The coldest chill,
Are there any more "sit there with your thumb up your ass and pray the enemy's map attack doesn't kill you" spellcards after stage 33?

Edit: the answer is Yes. Yukari has two. At least, I don't know how you're supposed to hurt her after the "sit and do nothing" spellcard. Maybe you're supposed to do something specific, I dunno.

I only lost Komachi to it, though, and that's because her dodge rate is holy shit awful, even though I hacked myself enough PP to buy level 9 stat skills. Then again, the percentage numbers don't even feel like a proper indicator of what's going to happen. Yuyuko has Level 2 Shield Defense, which means "1 in 8 chance" (12.5%), but I had to reload my quicksave 2-3 times every single time I attacked her because it wouldn't stop happening (I had fewer activations on Momiji, ffs). Casting Strike doesn't prevent shield defense/sword cut from happening. All it gets through is insta-dodge abilities. And I was trying to pace myself because this game doesn't have SP Regen. Even at level 40 (also hacked my exp), SP is in the 102-110 range. And Aya's Valor is 65. Geez, that's twice as much as Amuro's in Z2.2 (the fact that he has a 30 SP Valor means he can actually cast Zeal and 2 Valors unlike most other games with it). Granted, the standard cost for Valor is 40 or 45, but 65 for Valor is just as bad as Akira (Raideen, @3) and Elvy (Rahxephon, MX) needing 60 for Direct Hit/Fury/Break (literal/Atlus/J translation).
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 01:02:45 AM by notverycreative »

Sungho

• Custom Title
  • Personal Text
One of the danmaku's special effect for Border of Life and Death is that Yukari nullifies damage from anyone inside the effect, except for adjacent units.
The effect itself is not in the whole danmaku field, so units far away enough should be able to deal damage to her.
You can always bomb away the danmaku if you want to attack her from other places.

Aya can use Valor for 40 SP in Ei, so you don't have to worry too much.
Signature

c l e a r

• Carousel of Agony
FUCK. YOU. MOONBITCH.
I beat you.

She smoked Reimu, and Remillia with MAP Attack.  I can't let her run around with the Mikazuchi spell card (the one where she runs past units and do like 300% accuracy attacks), dealing with the MAP is easier.  I thought I was done.  Good thing Waifu (Alice) with her doll placements gets enough accuracy boost to get her on a support attack with Fury. 

Are there any more "sit there with your thumb up your ass and pray the enemy's map attack doesn't kill you" spellcards after stage 33?

Edit: the answer is Yes. Yukari has two. At least, I don't know how you're supposed to hurt her after the "sit and do nothing" spellcard. Maybe you're supposed to do something specific, I dunno.

I only lost Komachi to it, though, and that's because her dodge rate is holy shit awful, even though I hacked myself enough PP to buy level 9 stat skills. Then again, the percentage numbers don't even feel like a proper indicator of what's going to happen. Yuyuko has Level 2 Shield Defense, which means "1 in 8 chance" (12.5%), but I had to reload my quicksave 2-3 times every single time I attacked her because it wouldn't stop happening (I had fewer activations on Momiji, ffs). Casting Strike doesn't prevent shield defense/sword cut from happening. All it gets through is insta-dodge abilities. And I was trying to pace myself because this game doesn't have SP Regen. Even at level 40 (also hacked my exp), SP is in the 102-110 range. And Aya's Valor is 65. Geez, that's twice as much as Amuro's in Z2.2 (the fact that he has a 30 SP Valor means he can actually cast Zeal and 2 Valors unlike most other games with it). Granted, the standard cost for Valor is 40 or 45, but 65 for Valor is just as bad as Akira (Raideen, @3) and Elvy (Rahxephon, MX) needing 60 for Direct Hit/Fury/Break (literal/Atlus/J translation).

I gotta ask, what mode are you playing on?  I only have to replay a few times for Yukari's Stage to get her pattern down.
You can even manipulate Yukari's movements if you are far away enough (12 Squares on Normal +) cause her AI will always move regardless if she is in range or not, but if you are out of range, she will just move really far away, giving you ample to time to prepare for the charge.

Don't you worry, you see Yorihime up there?  She moves up to 3 times in her last phase, with one of them guaranteed to MAP Nuke with her god like accuracy.  So. much. fun.

One of the danmaku's special effect for Border of Life and Death is that Yukari nullifies damage from anyone inside the effect, except for adjacent units.
The effect itself is not in the whole danmaku field, so units far away enough should be able to deal damage to her.
You can always bomb away the danmaku if you want to attack her from other places.

Aya can use Valor for 40 SP in Ei, so you don't have to worry too much.

Her effect during Border of Life and Death is just like Granzon, very fitting for Yukari.  The problem with the danmaku field is that it is an effect on YOU, not Yukari.  And on Hard and above, bombs have only 1 range, so it really does not help.  You need to park 3-4 units that has a really strong 1-range attack with Support Attack (Momiji, Keine, Sanae, for example), and use crap attacks (it gets nulled), so that the cover attack can go through, and after those are done, you can attack with the unit itself.  I have gotten all the spells after looking at all possible solutions, and there are only a few that I have not captured.  I have to say, after Ei, I can say for certain that Yukari is nothing compare to stuff that these nutjobs can cook up.

Here are some of my opinion of the most retarded things they came up with so far:
- Eirin's Astronomical Entombing: All units cannot do any commands within the danmaku field.
- Take-mikazuchi from Yorihime: it auto-cast "Accel", blows past units, defending is completely useless.
- Amaterasu from Yorihime: Auto-cast "Zeal", for up the 3 moves, and a 1-6 range MAP attack that hits all the time.
- Berserk Okuu's first phase where she will shoot off Giga Flare MAP depending on unit placements on varied difficulties.
- Berserk Okuu's Uncontainable Reactor Dive: Auto-cast "Fury", gains extra moves for every hit that she makes.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 05:06:04 AM by c l e a r »

notverycreative

• The coldest chill,
I gotta ask, what mode are you playing on?
Easy, of course.  I just moved on ahead towards Yukari. She never moved. Maybe I didn't wait quite enough turns? Even so, can you even manipulate her movement when she's map-bombing you from what is essentially offscreen?

c l e a r

• Carousel of Agony
On easy, she moves really late.  Like 7th Enemy Phase, also her "Sukima" range is 10 there.  Also, Ran's well-being also will cause Yukari to move.
If you are on easy, you can bomb BoLD and have enough units to rush her easy.  Remember you have to bomb the squares that contains units you want to attack with.

notverycreative

• The coldest chill,
I think I did alright, considering I had no frigging clue what to expect. I just moved on to Ei. Maybe if Ei wasn't out yet I would've replayed You, but the final bosses in these games are just such unfun bullshit. And being stuck with 5 upgrades doesn't help at all. I think Sanbondo was trying to invoke the F Final thing where you don't get 10 upgrades until really late (JP wiki says Ei finally gives you 10 after stage 41 WHICH IS WHERE I AM), but the problem with that is the enemy gets more and more powerful and you don't. At least in F you had a fair number of people with Valor, which was 2x damage and not 1.5x like GST. It's like all the parts about F and Impact that give people headaches smooshed together in a game. Which is probably the intent.

SRW doesn't have anything like spellcards. Some bosses regenerate at certain thresholds and/or have multiple forms, and the HP is much higher, but then, so is your damage. And the game doesn't throw field effects at you and is filled with enemies who are pathologically-terrified of the player. GST and SRW do have the one thing in common in that the AI targetting variance is zero or close to it.

Yookie

• Blue flower
  • Green
FUCK. YOU. MOONBITCH.
I beat you.

Congratulations!
Lunatic next? :V

GST and SRW do have the one thing in common in that the AI targetting variance is zero or close to it.
I have had it happen in some cases that the AI would target different people whenever I reloaded a save. But generally they do not switch targets.
From my experience they will usually target characters that are sitting in heavy danmaku, are at low Hp and/or those who they can target with their most powerful moves.
They are generally aiming for a kill, which is probably where the variance in targeting comes from. If there's several of your characters they can take out then I suppose there's a chance of randomness in it.

Accuracy doesn't seem to be a factor though since whenever an enemy had the chance to attack Kurumi (who has really low base maximum Hp) they would do it. Even though at night she has sky high evasion and would sometimes get hit at 0% chance.
It became a running gag on my stream that everyone would attack Kurumi. :V
But to be fair, I never bothered raising her Hp higher than the 3.5k she has. She's able to take hits from mooks and bosses would oneshot her regardless.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 09:25:45 AM by Yookie »

c l e a r

• Carousel of Agony
I think I did alright, considering I had no frigging clue what to expect. I just moved on to Ei. Maybe if Ei wasn't out yet I would've replayed You, but the final bosses in these games are just such unfun bullshit. And being stuck with 5 upgrades doesn't help at all. I think Sanbondo was trying to invoke the F Final thing where you don't get 10 upgrades until really late (JP wiki says Ei finally gives you 10 after stage 41 WHICH IS WHERE I AM), but the problem with that is the enemy gets more and more powerful and you don't. At least in F you had a fair number of people with Valor, which was 2x damage and not 1.5x like GST. It's like all the parts about F and Impact that give people headaches smooshed together in a game. Which is probably the intent.

SRW doesn't have anything like spellcards. Some bosses regenerate at certain thresholds and/or have multiple forms, and the HP is much higher, but then, so is your damage. And the game doesn't throw field effects at you and is filled with enemies who are pathologically-terrified of the player. GST and SRW do have the one thing in common in that the AI targetting variance is zero or close to it.

Dude, even if I get 10 bars, I don't have enough money to use it.
I played SRW as well.  The combined HP is pretty much the same in both games, and I really like what GST does with Spell cards, it presents progression in the fight, instead of a giant health bar that you cannot see.  Fields and focuses movement provides an excuse for the strong bosses to have really good accuracy and power.  Yorihime, for example, you are literally hitting her with 0% acc, and she is hitting you 100%, it presents a great amount of SP management, and manipulating AI movement patterns.

If anything, Yorihime is punishment for people who solo'd through GST You with a full upgraded Reimu.

Congratulations!
Lunatic next? :V

Lunatic mode is unfun in GST (and most people know that), so I think a Fully Mad Yorihime on Hard on the next playthrough seems about right.

Sungho

• Custom Title
  • Personal Text
Abusing Elly's Floor Tile Danmaku and Sunny Milk's Reflection and Hourai Doll's Support Defense helps a lot when trying to survive the Boss's Enemy Phase.
Won't stop MAP attacks, though.
Rumia and Lunasa's Daunt always, always helps a lot, since they might be able to shut down the more dangerous attacks (like MAP attacks).
Signature

c l e a r

• Carousel of Agony
iirc, her map is like... 160 Power requirement, so when you break her Take-mikazuchi, daunt twice and you will not get nuked... guess I will have to do that on the Mad Yorihime run.

About Sanae's: I really just named it like that because it sounds cool. :V
You activate it and everyone knows that things are going to go down. It needs an awesome name and "Miracle" just doesn't cut it.

I suppose this is a matter of opinion, but I think you made it sound really stupid. Miracle is awesome enough, and has a nice simple resonance with Sanae's ability.

Personally, I would just avoid taking too many liberties with the translation, since what you think is cool isn't going to be the same as everyone else and the more you change the more it drifts away from what the game's writers thought was cool.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 11:22:52 AM by Clarste »

Yookie

• Blue flower
  • Green
In the end, yes - it is a matter of opinion.
You are right about how taking liberties when translating can make the matter lose its meaning, I won't object there.
However, my knowledge about Japanes is very limited, to the point where I couldn't even translate a whole sentence (exceptions exist of course) so I am more than often forced to take liberties, even with all the kind help given by the many people here.
And to be perfectly honest I never took this project serious enough to even consider things like that to become a problem.
To me I mostly just provided a help for those who understand absolutely nothing of this language. I also don't call myself a translator, by no means.

I've made accommodations for your remark. Changed it.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 08:39:41 PM by Yookie »

I suppose this is a matter of opinion, but I think you made it sound really stupid. Miracle is awesome enough, and has a nice simple resonance with Sanae's ability.

Personally, I would just avoid taking too many liberties with the translation, since what you think is cool isn't going to be the same as everyone else and the more you change the more it drifts away from what the game's writers thought was cool.

I agree Miracle is what works best, because it's an actual spell from SRW that did the same thing and is 100% in flavor with Sanae.  That's exactly why they gave her that spell.  Nowadays the spell is called Love, but back in the day, Love was an entirely different spell that it hit your entire roster for a full heal.  Miracle was pretty damn rare to find actually, not unusual to only have one or two sources of it in the whole game.

c l e a r

• Carousel of Agony
In Stage 53, the requirement for the WP has been toned down to 5 turns, at least on Normal.
I will confirm and let you guys know if difficulty changes on hard+.

EDIT: Hmmm... Yaname seems to have more HP in her Spell Phase then I remembered, making her way more resilient (Kisume has like 57,000 too).  I wonder how mean is everybody else in the SA Chapter here after the 1.10 patch.

EDIT: Holy shit, Parasee's Jealousy ability is not affected by Fury, WTF.
That WP is seriously unreachable on Hard + due to the fact that you need good upgardes on everything, and even half-assed upgrades are doing it for her jealousy to do like nothing.  Not to mention her HP is absolute bonkers for an Evasion type of enemy.  For the record, Yuugi has 45,000~ on the first two phases, and 57,000 on her last phase.  Her HP during the last bar on Normal? 36,000.  A stark difference.

I think the only reason for this change is all enemy bosses's HP is actually pumped to 50% boost, and they gave them bars of upgrades on each skill...
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 09:19:39 PM by c l e a r »

Yookie

• Blue flower
  • Green
Eh, didn't see this due to you editing and me not checking further below. :V

Given that you are also not allowed to bomb for the WP... Parsee only has one spell and Yuugi's Knockout is on an infinite timer if I remember correctly so you are really only pressed to clear Parsee's spellcard within the 3 (?) turns and I remember it being rather annoying on normal even.
Maybe you could pick up some characters you wouldn't keep that join you after the moon adventure and as such have not many upgrades (they do come with like +2 or 3 in everything, so I don't know how bad that is but at least their level is good and you're forced to have Kaguya with you on that one anyway.)
and set them as partners for your mains.
Other than that there is no way to bypass it and brute force doesn't quite cut it.

About the controversy with Sanae's Miracle:
I did edit it after the second person voiced their dislike towards my silly naming, if you haven't seen it yet.

c l e a r

• Carousel of Agony
Eh, didn't see this due to you editing and me not checking further below. :V

Given that you are also not allowed to bomb for the WP... Parsee only has one spell and Yuugi's Knockout is on an infinite timer if I remember correctly so you are really only pressed to clear Parsee's spellcard within the 3 (?) turns and I remember it being rather annoying on normal even.
Maybe you could pick up some characters you wouldn't keep that join you after the moon adventure and as such have not many upgrades (they do come with like +2 or 3 in everything, so I don't know how bad that is but at least their level is good and you're forced to have Kaguya with you on that one anyway.)
and set them as partners for your mains.
Other than that there is no way to bypass it and brute force doesn't quite cut it.

About the controversy with Sanae's Miracle:
I did edit it after the second person voiced their dislike towards my silly naming, if you haven't seen it yet.

My next time's battle plan is this, but it is so not worth it:
- Bring all my Grits/Alert users into this Map
- Put Yuugi to near death on Knockout in Three Steps.
- Trap Parasee, (and Yuugi) so they do not move.
- Place my units in a checkerboard pattern to avoid Parasee's MAP Attack.
- Break Parasee's Non-Spell, and use 3 turns to put her down, it should take that long cause even 3 bars of upgrade (I tried), it does like 2k damage at best for a really good attack under Fury.

My head is about explode from that point's requirement.

EDIT: Berserk Utsuho's Reactor of Life, as of 1.10, is now completely HP based, cannot be taken off with a bomb, and charges ??/100/??/?? at 75%, 50%, 25%, and 10% of her remaining health.  This allows her to reach her 500 power cap with ease.  I will report the HP if and when I get there again.
She also gains "Super Armor", increasing ACC and Armor as her health dwindles, which also stacks with her Guard, and her Potential L6/7/8/8, this is why you cannot break through her final 25% without Fury.  Looks like this is more SP management (Sigh)

Also, everyone gets additional dialogue with the final spell.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 08:21:20 PM by c l e a r »

Yookie

• Blue flower
  • Green
Last time I got to her (first time on current patch) I couldn't manage to deal more than 10 damage per hit on the last percent of hp so sadly I had to time that one out.
I guess I'd have to save every last of my available Daunt for that to even be able to deal some damage, but if she also charges again at 10% that's kinda not too viable I think.
Maybe get her below 25%, then Daunt-spam her down and somehow deal enough damage for the last few percent as to not get her to charge again.
Problem is that they increased either Komachi's or Rumia's Daunt costs.

But the stage is so long so I didn't really have to motivation to redo it so far. :V

I mean, how are you even supposed to deal damage to her? I kinda doubt that even Daunt is all that effective since you won't even deactivate any of her abilities.
I really wouldn't want to stack Nazrin, Hatate & Suwako just for that.
Parsee should be able to hit her hard with that one ability she has.

c l e a r

• Carousel of Agony
Don't even Daunt, it is a a waste of time since she will hit 500 whether you like it or not.  I should also note that Shizuha's "Loneliness" also does jack squat under "Reactor of Life", it completely ignores it.

Just crash everything you got at that point.  You can even split the attack in 2 turns cause she loses HP Regen, and she only moves once now.  Use anyone that does not have Fury and have them do first before anything before the Potential L7 kicks in.   Then, just Fury alllll the way until you break it.

Let me put it this way, if I have Remilla/Rumia team at that time.  I would rather crash Remillia, and then crash Rumia on the following turn with casting Fury then to sit on my ass and "survive".  Also, I have not test this, but unlike her Reactor of Life, her Super Armor ability can be taken off with a bomb, that might be another way.  I have also heard that in Lunatic, this spell is impossible to capture, as of now.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 01:32:44 AM by c l e a r »

Yookie

• Blue flower
  • Green
Well, with me having Lunasa, Komachi and Rumia I could've taken off quite a bit even with her having 500 Power.
My thought was to do that just for 1 really powerful attack but I did see that people with Fury still did something you could call damage so that should really be the way to go.

How exactly does Power influence damage taken/dealt? I've had the suspicion that it is just a relative multiplier depended on the difference between attacker and defender.
(So someone with the normal 150 vs. Okuu's 500 would 30% damage or something like that.)
But if that was the case then Daunt really doesn't do much good in this case here. :V

c l e a r

• Carousel of Agony
You really only want to use Fury to blow past Okuu's Super Armor, and her Potiential L8 and Guard L1/1/2/2.