Author Topic: Suika Fortress - Year 11: Game has come to an end  (Read 84837 times)

Totaku

• The Traveling Otaku of Gensokyo
  • I want to be a little NEET moon princess
Suika Fortress - Year 11: Game has come to an end
« on: August 09, 2009, 08:11:24 PM »
Hey everyone, Totaku here.

I come here today to begin my own game project that I became influenced after playing Ramus?s Crawl Relay. The name of this game project will be called?.

Suika Fortress!

So you may be wonder what is this Suika Fortress all about?

Well if your familiar with a game called Dwarf Fortress then it?s basiclly that except it?s been modified with have Suikas instead of Dwarves.

What's Dwarf Fortress?

Think of it as what would happen if you?re cross together Dungeon Crawler with the Sims. Basiclly your trying to help your dwarves make a living by building a fortress and help them be able to survive against just about anything. Wether it be Elephants, Unicorns, Goblins, you name it. And at the same time, make sure they can survive, get food and water and be comfortable and happy as possible.

In Suika Fortress, we do pretty much the same thing, except it?s with Suikas, and most of our livestock and predators are yukkuri, though there are some animals out there too?

It?s also important to note that every Suika has their own personality and quarks too so be alert with how they behave too. :P

What does it look like?

Imagine a world full a Suikas mining caves, managing yukkuri, and all sort of other things just to making a living and survive. The game flows in real time and you will spend your time managing the activities and actions the Suikas do. You can pause it however if you need to plan things out. Before letting the game continue. It should look something like this,

All these nice graphics while they attempt to build a fortress. It should be fun to see how this develops? and yes I created the suika graphic tile sprites for this(there are some animals though from another creator, but hey, it adds flavor).

The interface mainly consist of the following:

On the left is the activity screen where you can watch the mini suikas as they run around doing what they do best. Get drunk and work. :P

The middle is the menu, you will be pressing the keys to that cordinate with what every option you want to select, this is vital for especially because you will need to tell the mini suikas what to do.

And on your right is the map or your region. Here you'll see that suikas are marked in red while other creatures are in read. While it may look simple it's important to know that the map consist of many levels and to alternate between the levels you'll have to press the < or > keys to work with them.

I'll be covering some more as I play the game...

Where can I get the game? What version do I need?

For what I?m doing with this project I will ask that you use Mayday?s Tile version of Dwarf Fortress v0.28.181.40d11

You can download the complete tile game with the modded files here. (File updated for the second time!)
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?znzzfx0tmzn

Or if you preffer you can get the original tile game from mayday?s site (incase things don?t work) you can go here and DL the latest version here:
http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/df.php

If you get the game from Mayday?s site you will need to DL this sprite sheet and files I put together and replace all the files in the raw folder with these. So far, I?ve tested it and all of it works. Here?s the link to the modded files for the game:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?gnzzmmdmumt (File updated!)

How do I adjust the screen size?

It is important to note that in order to change the window size you will need to go into the data folder of the dwarf fortress files and select the init folder and then open init.txt.

From there you will have to go down to [GRAPHICS_WINDOWX: ]and [GRAPHIC_WINDOWY: ] and change the number that the colon to change the window size like for example:

Code: [Select]
[GRAPHICS_WINDOWEDX:1280]
[GRAPHICS_WINDOWEDY:800]
And for the full screen make sure you know what the full screen resolution of your computer is and then go to [GRAPHICS_FULLSCREENX:]and [GRAPHICS_FULLSCREENY:] and insert the number in the respected areas after the colon to make the file work on full screen for example my full screen resolution is 1280 x 1024 so:

[GRAPHICS_FULLSCREENX:1280]
[GRAPHICS_FULLSCREENY:1024]

Want more tiles on your new screen size? You can adjust it on the [GRID:#:#] and [FULLGRID:#:#] you?ll have to tweak with this a little to make the size work for example:

[GRID:80:50]
[FULLGRID:80:64]

If for some reason you want to adjust other features, that?s up to you, but personally it should work for most here.

This game seems hard, it there an easier way to understand it?

Well, it is somewhat hard at the start, even the tutorial only gives you enough info just to start and learn the simple basics. But if you feel you want to learn more things without as much struggle then to the Dwarf Fortress Wiki here.
http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Main_Page

Here you?ll find pretty much all the ins and out about how everything works in the game. It?s rather useful so I highly recommend looking through it when you having trouble. Pretty much everything from this wiki will apply to Suika Fortress as well. Just remember though, while it's important to understand the game it's also important to now cheat either and spoil yourself from the real adventure of Dwarf Fortress cause after all one thing they always say is..."Losing is Fun!

So how?s the process going to work?

For right now I?m am going to give you some time to get familiar with the game if you haven?t already played it, but at the same time, I?ll ask you all to begin signing up while I start writing the story to Suika Fortress. I will be the first one to go so I can show you some of the basics.

When the game starts we will have a land that is created and all who are interested can decide on which part of the land the Suikas will settle in to create their fortress.

Because I want the Suikas to be able to have an exciting adventure, I would like to settle if possible to go for a large grid but I will settle on a grid as low as 5x5 in term of our land space. Cause that should have more than enough animals to keep everyone busy.
I will explain more about game length later?

Once that is decided, we have to decide how the Suikas will plan for their trip. In terms of their occupations, and what supplies they will carry. This is very important in the beginning and we shall discuss this before we go on.

After we complete these steps we will begin the gamplay...

Gameplay rules

We shall play Suika Fortress as a succession game. When the game begins, you will have one year to do whatever you got to do to help your Suikas develop their fortress. Get materials, build things, fight creatures, whatever. During the run you should take pictures of some of the events that unfold during your year. Try to update periodicly as I know a year takes a while go through. Because speed can vary based on one?s computer, I will give the player one week (7 days) to complete the task, and if an extension is needed, he or she must provide an update with pictures on where he or she is at so I know where they stand. And if progress that is made shows some promise of progress I will allow another 2 days of extension.

The players turn will come to an end when the Lily White comes along and announces that ...

or rather ?Spring has arrived!? which will appear at the bottom of the game window.

From there you must pause and save your game. To do that press escape, and then go down the menu and select  "Save game and press enter. And then take the save file which is located in  data -> saves -> Reigon folder. Take the region folder that contains the Suika Fortress data and then zip it (or rar it) and upload it to Mediafire, Rapidshare or the like. Once it's saved you turn is done.

The next person will then take the Region folder and place it in save folder and start off the game and continue from there till the next spring.

Because the game lasts for a long time we will end the game under two conditions:

1.We create an epic Suika fortress
2.The Suika Fortress dies in an epic death (ala boatmurdered or something along the line)

Say like maybe in 15-20 years in game time maybe. By then we will have done most of everything that we can do with it. But then again who knows? it'll depend on how many people decide to participate in this too.

If for some reason the Suika Fortress dies way before the 15-20 years has passed. Then that players turn will end and the next player will use the last save and continue from there until the next Spring.

Finally if the person is unable to complete the run in time, his run will be nulled as we will return to the last save?

Also it is important to know that you can resign yourself up for another round though you will be placed on the bottom of the waiting list and I will contact you when your turn is up.

Can I still participate in it even if I?m not playing?

OF course! As I said, I want the player to make some updates as they go through their adventure building the fortress you can give your own thoughts and suggestions at the time that?s posted. Also because we have so many Suikas to deal with maybe we can give them ?nicknames? to make them stand out. :P That always helps.

Can I run the fortress to the ground?

No! Don?t destroy to fortress on purpose, it ruins the fun of having ?fun? Rather try to do whatever you can to survive and if the death comes upon, we can understand. If the player intentionally tries to destroy the fortress on purpose too many time, they will be removed from the game.

Did you make these sprites?

Well I made all the Suikas and Yukkutri sprites, so yes I?m responsible for those. All the other creatures are Maydays?s work. He should earn the credit for making a tile of  the Dwarf Fortress version possible for me to do Suika Fortress.

Some text appears odd / sprites have an odd color.

If that?s the case, send me a picture so I can look into the problem. It?s important for me to look into it. As I had to work on this alone with only advice and feedback from the IRC gang. And if I fix the problem, I?ll post an updated file to insert into the files and graphics.

I have suggestion for other things to add.

Don?t be afraid if you got an idea of what I could add into Suika Fortress let me know I can see about working it out possiblely. Just remember I?m also a busy man so be patient.

Can I have an adventure instead?

Orginally I was not exactly in favor of this, but decided later to let it happen. But as of right now I want to point out. Our priority is to build an awesome Suika Fortress! I will be limiting it to two adventures. So if you all want to embark on an adventure we must meet a few conditions...

First we must give the fortress building team 5 years to add to the fortress.

Then afterward the next person who signed up for an adventure must do the following....

He must make his way to the Suika fortress and explore it. See what happend to the fortress note the changes and what occurs. That's basiclly it. You'll have 7 days to do the task. Afterward your turn is over no extra days for this one. Do not embark on any quest, your only objective is to find the fortress, explore it, and plunder it's goods.

Afterward you adventure is technically over. And we will return to building till the next person in the rotation for adventuring takes his turn.

As for now it?s time begin signing up!

Player List (Those who signed up to play):

1. Totaku
2. Purvis
3. Ramus (Adventuring)
4. Seven Orange Clouds
5. T34G3
Spectators (Those who are watching the events unfold):
1. Rika
2. Zengar Shishioh
3. Mind the Gap
4. Barasia
5. Astral Pancakes (via IRC)
6. Khorneish Game Hen
7. Jan-san
8. Serpentarius

Events

Year 1: The Seven Little Suika embark, make a new home, and deal with thief problems
Year 2: Purvis dealing with constant issues, Suika's start acting crazy and making masterpieces and Forest Fires!
Year 3: The day in the life of a bookkeeper's journal, a cool execution chamber and the why yukkuris wear pants. :P
Intermission: Ramus embarks on a small journey to the Suika Fortress and then falls into lava and dies.
Year 4: Digging underground mines, Mayor Purvis demands Copper maces. and the first major biokkuri assult
Year 5: Operation: BRIDGE OF DEATH and Operation: Obsidian Farm take place!
Year 6: Baroness comes to Beer Axe! HARUMPing her way one step at a time and beer shortages
Year 7: The Parseekkuris threaten BeerAxe and Project BRIDGE OF DEATH's completion!
Intermission 2: Ramus's embarks on a long trip to beeraxe! Kills wolves and a guildmens in the process!
Year 8: Parsees attempt to set a tree cutting quota, cowardly biokkuri, and the attack of the vicious Moko-tan
Year 9: Mayor Purvis's plans to thrawl the Parseekkuri's contract, renovation of the countress's room, and the mass yukkuri butchering
Year 10: Testing participants with the Bridge of death! Unique digging designs, and the tragic death of Serpantarius....

I will be preparing the story while you all sign up for the game. It'll take some time so feel free to learn about the game if you haven't played it and have fun?Otherwise please be patient.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 12:13:05 AM by Totaku »
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otaku Kind.
Tsunami Channel Home of  Japanese webcomics Artist Akira Hasegawa.
My Deviant Art site gallery
Now I Twitter

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
Re: Suika Fortress
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 09:18:49 PM »
This may be the first time I don't snort derisively at people for using a tileset.

Serp

• It's all about overwhelming force and irresistible style
  • And in a pinch, style can slide
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 10:17:14 PM »
This may be the first time I don't snort derisively at people for using a tileset.

Same here.  Sign me up.  We might as well also name each Suika after a volunteering forum member.
[15:13] <Sana> >:<

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 10:24:44 PM »
You know what? I want in on this.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?xzjwrewyhkn

This has all the stuff ready to go, right?

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 11:11:25 PM »
I'd like to sign up if I can go closer to the end of the list. I'm inactive enough as it is, and I need to learn how to play first as well.

Ramus

• The Knightly Wizard
  • Trying to be an engineer
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 12:13:01 AM »
Guessing I'm signing up too.

Make my Suika use a spear and call her Ramis.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 12:15:50 AM »
I want my Suika to be a stonecrafter and mechanic.

E-Nazrin

• .... what're you looking at?
  • fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 12:32:01 AM »
I call philosopher.

Or maybe a weaver or something else really lame.
There was something here once. Wonder what...

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 12:41:48 AM »
You know what do I desire for my Suika to do.

Ramus

• The Knightly Wizard
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 12:48:42 AM »
And when this is all over, I claim the file to go into adventurer mode and search the fallen ruins of Fort _______.

We need a name people!  How about Fort Guinness?

Serp

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 01:46:25 AM »
I'd like my Suika to be the bookkeeper, by the way.

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 06:16:05 AM »
I'll sign up as a player. I used to play DF but then that hobby slipped into the void like every thing else, leaving unnecessarily much time.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 11:29:57 AM by T34G3 »

Totaku

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2009, 06:10:33 PM »
Man so many replies, I'm surprised how many responded to this just shortly after I posted. I've already gone ahead and added those that wanted to play into the list.

And those that mainly showed interest in the thread in general will be "Spectators" They can give thier feedback and advice on it how they see fit.

Anyways also to Prejewry, yes that link has the file and the mods already installed in. Just throw out the save files as they were for testing the thing more than anything else. :P

Anyways let me get the prelude started...

--
Gensokyo, a strange land that was sealed away from the rest of the world long ago when the Hakurei border was set up. In this land roams creatures known as youkai, a race of powerful monsters that once roamed around Japan. But as of today’s time, most youkai don’t exist unless you happen to wind up in Gensokyo…

Hakurei Shrine

The shrine that which sits right at the Hakurei border, it is the home of the renowned (but lazy) shrine maiden, Reimu Hakurei. All seemed quite today as if nothing was happening. Just then a small little figure came running up toward the shrine, she appeared to be a small little, petit, yet strong, wearing a sleeveless shirt and a purple skirt. A pair of horn stuck out from her head and she wobbled and reeled as the traveled up the shrine.

“Reiiimuuuuu~ Where arrree yoooouuuu~”

The girl walked up to the shrine and started to look around for Reimu, but no matter where she went she couldn’t find her….

“Where could she be *hic*…?”

She looks around and spots a small note by the door.

Going off to seek donations from my long overdue services….

-Reimu

“Awww… that’s no funnn… why you have to leave today?”

Suika was a little depressed knowing Reimu left the shrine. Not knowing what to do she sat down and started to drink from her gourd as usual. She let out a deep sigh of disappointment and flops over on the ground as she looks up at the sky above her.

Just then a gap opened above her as a mysterious blonde headed woman came through the opening. Dress in a long sleeved white frilly dress with a unique purple design down the middle. She was holding a parasol and she looked calmly at Suika.

“My, you look sort of down for a mountain oni.”

Suika looks up at the blonde with a silent look…

“I’ms only bored cause I got nothing to doo *hic*…”

“Have you bothered to ask anyone else?”

Suika lets out a sigh….

“Yesh Yukari, they all apparently have their own thinsh they are doing…. they don’t have time….”

Yukari gave some thought about Suika’s situation. Realizing she was bored and depressed with nothing to do. She came up with an idea….

“Suika, perhaps you would like to play a game of my own.”

“Huh What sorttta game ish it?”

Suika lifted her head up in interests..

“It’ll be more of a challenge actually. I basically want to see how good your survival skills are.”

“Shuvival? But were onis we’ve been around for ages. Shertanly you must know”

“Of course, but I want to see it first hand myself.”

“Jussh what do you want me to do? I’m up for the challenge.”

Suika got up from the ground filled with energy waiting to hear what Yukari had to offer.

“How about you make a small copy of yourself.”

“You mean with my hair, sure?”

Suika then pull out a small strand of hair and produces a miniaturized version of herself….

“What does dish have to do with shuvival?”

Yukari begins to laugh…

“Well my game is simple, I want you to make a number of these little version of you and scatter them across the land. From there they must survive on their own and build a place they can call home.”

“Huh? They won’t last that long. That can’t be done.”

“Really?”

Yukari forms a mysterious border around the mini suika…

“What did’ja do?” Suika seemed surprised the moment the border formed around her copy.

“Don’t worry, all I’ve done was help make your little copy have a longer life span.”

“Huh? Like how long your talking about?”

“Several years if you wanted to but I at least made it so they can last several months. You don’t mind if you create some more do you?”

Suika made many mini suikas under Yukari’s request.

“Now that you completed it you shall send them off to fend for themselves.”

“Huh? Ok…”

“Oh and there is one more thing Suika that you must know.”

“Yes Yukari?”

“You cannot assist them in anyways, you may watch and maybe guide them, but they are left to fend for themselves and to do things on their own And also, you are not allowed to give them any drinks from your gourd”

“Huh? Why not?”

“As I said, this is a game of survival.”

“I shee….Tell me Yukari, what will I get out of dish if I prove to you they can survive.”

“Well it actually depends what your looking to accomplish by doing this, what are you looking to accomplish?”

“Eh? I donno.”

Yukari begins to chuckle at Suika’s responds.

“Ah there’s no need to worry, it’ll come with time… and if your work pays off you may get something out of it.”

“Eh, I’m bored anyways, what do I got to loose anyways, it’s just to prove they can survive so I’sh game for dish.”

“Very well, you need to get your little copies ready for the trip as they will be going different directions to reach their destination.

“Huh? Are you serioush?”

Yukari opened a gap as a bunch of small supplies came falling out to the ground most of them ranged from digging tools, survival gear, weapons, meat drinks and other tools. And among the pile were a group of yukkuri.

“These here will be the basics of what they’ll be allowed to use. If you like you can help decide what they can learn and carry before they take off on the trip to their destination.

“AKay…”

Suika must now decide on what the mini suikas should learn and carry and to determine where they should go.

Here is a list of recommendations of some locations.
Site Locations #1: Near the Hakurei Shrine area

Steady climate, forests, mountains and river, seems wildlife is active here too.
Difficulty: EZ - normal mode

Site Locations #2: Dark Road Forest

Hot climate, might be possible droughts, plus smells of the undead...
Diffculty: Normal to possibly hard mode

Site Locations #3:Forest of magic

Seems like lots of majestic creatures live here. Be aware Parseekuris live near as well. Plus the ground feels moist...
Difficulty: Hard - Lunatic (due to aqufier)

Site Locations #4: Near Nameless Hill area

Appears to be some good material here and it's filled with lots of forest. Beware the medikkuri could be near...
Diffulty: Normal

Site Locations #5: Near Youkai mountain area

Lots of rivers, possible lava activity? (cannot confirm yet) and waters are likely to freeze in thr winter... plan things out ahead..
Diffculty: Normal maybe hard possibly?

And here’s what the Suikas can learn to be… (note last names are not finalized)

Do remember what you say here may play a role in deciding what your Suika will be. Also if anyone else signs up to play they will take dibs on the last unnicknamented Suika. Otherwise, the spectator who spoke first will have their Suika named.

Anyone else who wants their Suika to have a name can join in as more Suikas will eventually join in the group. And I will make sure to add them in between saves(if everyone else forgets to).

And here the list of what yukari supplied them with… We can discuss what they should carry with them...

They can add more if they wish, feel free to look over and decide what they can take with them.

Once after some more feedback is given, I'll make a final decision based on what everyone says.

Also we need a name for the Fortress and our team For those who fiddle with the list of name see if you can come up with something.

Here's the recommendation so far:

Fort Purple Power (Totaku)
Fort Guinness (Ramus)
Fort Beeraxe (Xan)

Also a team name would be nice....

As for now I'm leaving you guys to lay down some decisions and help decide how to use our points to prepare our Suikas before they embark on thier journey....

Finally, forgot to mention this, but I'll remind you again. I have currently set the size to be 5x5 based on the local map area, if you all want it bigger we can do this, but 5x5 is the minimum.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 11:08:36 PM by Totaku »
Now I Twitter

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2009, 06:21:10 PM »
Sacrifice anvil > Fucktonne of booze. If non-injured Suikas are drinking water, we have failed.

Voting on Location 3; second choice location 2.

By the by, did you gender mod them all to be female?

Ramus

• The Knightly Wizard
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2009, 06:28:27 PM »
Okay, first off, we need two miners, cause we're going to be digging alot.  Secondly, we need two farmers, cause we need food and plenty of it for the Suikas.  Third, we'll need an axe Suika for chopping trees and for some random reason, defense.  Don't doubt what the goblin equivalents can do.  Fourth, we'll need a mason and a carpenter as separate Suika for construction reasons, because face it people, we're going to be building loads of stuff.

So Suikas by number:

1. Miner
2. Miner
3. Farmer
4. Farmer
5. Mason
6. Carpenter
7. Axe Crazy

(Note, the seven dwarves, clever little reference)

Other nice jobs which we can make secondary for the seven Suikas, cooks, very good for making food better.  We'll also need someone who can work metal well, and another to make weapons.  Since we have a river, it might not be a bad idea for a fisher or two.  We also want a brewer, because Suika needs beer badly.

I whole heartedly recommend that anvil, I want it immediately and blacksmithing is always a good thing.  Drop the extra axe, we don't need it and we want full point distribution between the Suikas which we can't afford with the axe.

I can go any of the areas.  Worst case scenario is that the tunnels get flooded with lava and/or water and we dig somewhere else.  EDIT:  However, I prefer metal to be around my areas.

I'm voting for the name Fort Guinness.  Also, the team name should be Team Shanghai.

I claim the Suika who does the weapon smithing.  Always get the blacksmithing jobs in RPGs and MMORPGs, that how you get the best weapons.  And name her Ramis.

EDIT:  Purjewry, if I remember right, if she did that, we won't be breeding too much beyond those seven.  So we got a few futa.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2009, 06:49:59 PM »
The anvil is pointless early in. We'll be too busy making trade goods and basic comforts; trade for an anvil later.

You only need one miner; new ones will immigrate in. Replace the second miner with a bookkeeper/trader.

Make the mason also be a stonecrafter and mechanic.

Ramus

• The Knightly Wizard
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2009, 06:53:36 PM »
Yeah, but the anvil is expensive, I prefer to just have it on hand and buy alcohol as it comes as it's not nearly as expensive.  Though I recommend a second miner as it doubles the speed of early on tunneling, which is quite nice.

Serp

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2009, 07:38:13 PM »
Ramus's basic setup looks fine to me.  I'd also suggest making one of the farmers double up as the fortress's bookkeeper (and that'll be my Suika, name it Serp).  Better to use a farmer for that task than a miner, I think.  I'd also prefer Site 5.  That magma is just too fun to resist.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2009, 07:39:41 PM »
Speedy early tunneling isn't all that necessary, though. You only have 7 people to put to bed, which a dorm style room does well. After that, shops and barracks.

As long as you get everything inside before the raccoons or elephants come, all's good. Mind you, a second miner is hardly a tradegy. But I like to trade that in for a bookkeeper/trader/manager so we can have good counts, trade effectively, and manage jobs more easily. But I like functionality.

Anvils really aren't that expensive as long as your crafter is doing their work; waste stone makes lovely crafts for buying out a caravan.

Edit: Also I can't get the download to work. It'll tell me it's processing, then link back to the original page. =|
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 07:42:28 PM by Purjewry »

Ramus

• The Knightly Wizard
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2009, 08:00:15 PM »
Ah ha ha, Mediafire hates you.  I'll upload it to rapidshare and PM you soon.

So taking in the suggestions:

1. Miner/Fisher
2. Trader/Manager
3. Farmer/Book Keeper (Serp)
4. Farmer/Cook
5. Mason/Metal Smither or however you call it again
6. Carpenter as main/Mechanic and Stone crafter as secondary.
7. Axe Crazy/Weapon Smithing (Ramis)

Also, need some input from someone else about the anvil VS beer thing cause I don't think Purjewry and me can really settle it.

And the area with the most votes so far is the lava one apparently.

EDIT:  http://rapidshare.com/files/265935673/Suika_Fortress.zip.html

For anyone that can't get Mediafire working.  Only ten downloads though.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 08:19:13 PM by Ramus »

Totaku

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2009, 08:29:32 PM »
Actually I already have the thing loaded on rapid share.

http://rapidshare.com/files/265931561/Suika_Fortress.zip.html

So try that Purejewry.

As for the anvil vs. beer thing: I'm going to be honest on this part. It's going to depend on where we go. Cause I know in some areas we can obtain metal ores pretty quick if we dig enough. Allowing for metal armor and weapons production early on. But at the same time having a massive load a beer isn't bad either. it would allow the Suikas to survive longer without having to resort to water, but at the same time.. I generally have a brewer in the team to make beers for the workers.

My usual suggestion formations goes like this:
1. Miner
2. Farmer/ Brewer
3. Mason/ stonecrafter or engraver
4. Animal Trainer/ Hunter
5. Woodcutter / Carpenter
6. Butcher/ cook
7.Mechanic

This combination goes well in area full of linving creatures, I'm not sure what I do if I was in a land of the undead. Likely settle for Ramus suggestion 7 to replace suggestion 4.

And yeah in most occasions, the brewer usually gets the job done and keeps the suikas happy.So if anythign I'd change the cook into a brewer and then we wouldn't have to worry about beer as long as we keep making barrels for the beer. Thus we keep the anvil for when the time is needed.

Course this combination isn't exactly good for trade though, but it builds over time. To my view survival is key. Regardless this is generally for when I playon my own. This time, it's different.

Also just to point out locations sites 3 and 5 are tied actually. :P
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 08:35:47 PM by Totaku »
Now I Twitter

Ramus

• The Knightly Wizard
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2009, 08:33:46 PM »
Oh geez, forgot the wood cutter, in which case I'd make the Axe Crazy Suika specialize in that too instead of weaponsmithing.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2009, 08:34:04 PM »
I think Totaku will make the correct decisions, and shall yield to his wisdoms. I call mechanic.

Also, change my Suika's name to Purvis.

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2009, 09:01:55 PM »
I guess I'll call Woodcutter/Carpenter if we go with Totaku's setup.

I can't input much as I'm still figuring out the game, so I'll hopefully have a good idea of what to do by the time my turn rolls around.

Serp

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2009, 12:20:24 AM »
In that case, my bookkeeper will be the farmer/brewer.  He should have plenty of time with nothing better to do to keep the books.

Maid Xan~

• Oh. Uh... Hey... Hey there, Koto.
  • What... what are you smiling like that for, Koto?
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2009, 12:29:44 AM »
/in as a miner/ax-Suika. Location 5 plz.
There are people in this world who enjoy being alone. But there isn't a single person who can bear solitude.

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2009, 12:33:17 AM »
Is it possible to name the fortress Inmaterial and Missing Fort?

Nachtwanderlied

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2009, 01:33:18 AM »
maaaan

time for my build idea

miner/manager
miner/wrassler
low-level w.cutter/prof. carpenter
prof.mason/prof.mechanic
prof bone/stone crafter
2x prof. grower/brewer/cook/whatever farming skills needed

no fishers because fishing got gimped
no anvil as a prof. stone crafter can easily churn-o out goods to buy out caravans also if we're playing on a map with flux/obsidian it's much easier

wrestler works well on the secondary miner because characteristics are easily built from mining
also the pick is a handy yet kinda bad weapon in dire situations

Nachtwanderlied

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2009, 01:36:28 AM »
oh and "The Bloody Anus of Bloody Angels" is the best fortress name ever

other than something like "cavefortress"

Ramus

• The Knightly Wizard
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2009, 01:41:04 AM »
Fort Cave shall be our name!  BEST NAME EVER!

Still sticking to Team Shanghai.