Author Topic: Shoot some Black Rocks in here... BRS TV Thread. ブラック★ロックシューダ  (Read 18879 times)

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
BRS ブラック★ロックシューダ

More than just a song, probably more than an OVA and now a full fledged TV series.

Info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Rock_Shooter

OAV
-Mato Kuroi just got into junior high school, and on the first day, someone catches her eye; her classmate Yomi Takanashi. The two meet.The innocent and naive Mato. The mature Yomi. Seemingly opposites, but the time they spend together only strengthens a growing friendship. But as they go into their second year at the school, they get placed in separate classes, and they begin to grow apart. But somewhere simultaneously... In another world, a young girl, blue fire residing in her eyes, Black Rock Shooter faces another young girl; this one holding a jet-black scythe, Dead Master, and a battle to the death begins to unfold. (ANN)

TV
-In spring, two girls meet: Mato and Yomi. They each sense something in the other that they lack in themselves, and are drawn to each other in spite of their contrasting personalities. Though initially hesitant, they form a strong connection. But they both have secrets - and in an empty world, two girls fight: Black Rock Shooter and Deadmaster. A strange being, Black Gold Saw, watches their mysterious battle, laughing. This is the story of two girls, in two worlds, entangled by the threads of fate.

Personally, one of the best bits about this anime is that it is based on nothing more than a song, which gives it a lot of free space to self develop oitself into a great show or a poor show depending on its merits. What I came to project is that it is like Marvel Universe of Black Rock Shooter or something similiar, where in each section, BRS ends up fighting different people in different universes with different ideals and so on, and each correlate with each other somehow...

The game and the anime and the OAV all seem to have varied exploration, and each has its own particular theme.

Spoiler:
So who is watching this and lol episode two is out. Damn crazy sick chick is really... scary. I really like the Spider Chariot, this thing is just all kinds of steampunk awesome right here. It has a hollow like face that opens with gnashing teeth and shoots macarons! Sweet ass bullets... literally!

:ohdear:

Highlights and hopefuls:
1) WRS White Rock Shooter actually makes an appearance
2) Black Gold Saw gets a real character.
3) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Black_Rock_Shooter_characters  hopefully they might even make cameos or something.
4) BRS gets Insane Black Rock Shooter for real beyond the two pics drawn by Huke.

<-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

yuyukos

• ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give Techies
  • ༼ つ ◕◡◕ ༽つ Techies were given.
This finally started :V? I think this was the only show I was looking forward to, guess I'll go take a watch.
TF2Items | TF2B | Steam | Twitter
3DS FC - 2165-6416-7852

Paper Conan

• Productivity, all day 'erry day
  • NOPE, just kidding~
I've heard of BRS for a long time, and now it seems promising. I'll be checking out the song, ova, and anime real soon. :D

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
This is a series I'm following, because I enjoyed the OVA.

What I'm liking about BRS the series is what I liked about the OVA: a story that depicts both the external and the internal emotional struggles that happen in friendship. That between these two friends, things like jealousy, anger, fear and desire are all there - in one universe, as two high school girls trying to come to grips with reality and each other, as well as the forces between them; in another universe, they're engaging in literal combat.

That's a neat concept, and the fight sequences are really great. But in the real world, the dialogue needs some work. I know that with eight episodes to work with, character development might be tough, but it's not impossible. There's a lot of room there for more dialogue to give the characters more texture and depth. I hope the writers made use of that.

Well, it looks good so far, and we're 25% through the series already. Here's hoping the writers made the most of having fewer episodes to work within, because there's a lot of potential for awesome here.

(Welp, guess I'll avoid doubposting and just edit this one...)

Episode 3!

Things are finally getting interesting. Jealousy between our two protags is starting to rear its head now, making me wonder what the point of Creepy Wheelchair Girl was in the first two, considering she just sorta ... suddenly got better.

Saya's character now seems to be morally ambiguous. Is she just a helpful guidance councilor? Is she a force of evil? I honestly can't tell, and that entire debacle with Kohachi has brought up more questions than answers.

I'm glad this show is getting more interesting. It's honestly surprised me. I hope the writers have woven something together for us that'll pay off. They seem to have tossed a lot of balls in the air at once. Guess we'll see!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 06:37:01 PM by Tengukami »

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

♛ Apher-Forte

It seems the concept of this show is eagerly simple: everything that happens in the other directly affects the situations in the real world.

and these girls and their avatars are the scions for change whenever something changes.
Spoiler:
In this case, it seems like the collapse and death of Chariot gave birth to Deadmaster and not 'otherworld Yomi' which she has been thus far in the episodes, Deadmaster is now complete, her real self inherited what I believe to be Kagari's desperation (which appears to be Chariot's character) and now she has this intense urge to feel needed, when Kagari has returned and instead becoming a rather popular and easy going girl, she has become a hollow shell, now intending and being intended to protect nothing and keep nothing at bay where formerly, Kagari was her prize.

I believe Kagari's final words about 'set me free' meant that without Chariot and now being disposed of by STR, the entire world affecting Kagari only touches on the reality, where Chariot's personality traits (desperation and neediness) seem not to be carried forward. The real Kagari now is capable, making the inner nature that imprisons Yomi to Kagari now unleash with full force.

Also, this episode is all about EXPRESSIONS

YOMI's ARGGHHH GALLERY:
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 06:36:26 AM by ♛ 少女の醜態るるる~~夢~天国 »
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Drake

Although it's obvious, Yomi has always been in the position where all she's ever done has had Kagari rely on her. She didn't exist as a person besides that, so she only knew that she existed for Kagari to depend on. When Yomi met someone that she really wanted to do things with, she wanted Kagari to stop relying on her. And look, so she did. Now that Kagari exists as a person besides being someone who depends on Yomi, Yomi is distressed because she thinks her existence is still only meaningful if somebody else depends on her. Obviously this is completely wrong and self-destructive and Mako will probably call on that, but Yomi has only ever known of an existence where people depend on other people, instead of people existing as their own selves. She doesn't realize that relationships don't work that way. The glorious thing is that Yomi felt bound by Kagari, but Yomi was really just as reliant on Kagari as Kagari was on her.

Also, Saya on the outside seems like the bitch that everyone loves, but inside she really is the bitch that everyone should hate, but she's actually the bitch that everyone loves because she's the bitch that everyone should hate.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

♛ Apher-Forte

given that, my explanation of BRS's world and the real world seems a bit extra...

but it is all good. I guess interdepent people cannot get separated huh... Yomi is quite a wreck now... wonder what is gonna happen next in BRS ep5: NANNANO NANNANO NANNANO NANNANO NANNANO

Tengukami

Although it's obvious, Yomi has always been in the position where all she's ever done has had Kagari rely on her. She didn't exist as a person besides that, so she only knew that she existed for Kagari to depend on. When Yomi met someone that she really wanted to do things with, she wanted Kagari to stop relying on her. And look, so she did. Now that Kagari exists as a person besides being someone who depends on Yomi, Yomi is distressed because she thinks her existence is still only meaningful if somebody else depends on her. Obviously this is completely wrong and self-destructive and Mako will probably call on that, but Yomi has only ever known of an existence where people depend on other people, instead of people existing as their own selves. She doesn't realize that relationships don't work that way. The glorious thing is that Yomi felt bound by Kagari, but Yomi was really just as reliant on Kagari as Kagari was on her.

This is exactly what I really enjoy about this series. These feelings of jealousy, possessiveness, wanting someone to stop clinging to you and then feeling lonely when they finally do - we can all relate to this. Jealousy is a poisonous, destructive emotion that can spread and grow like cancer. In the end, jealousy all boils down to issues of control. Yomi never wanted to be controlled by Kagari, but now that Kagari's free, Yomi wants to be the one controlling her. It's the type of toxic friendship that pretty much anyone who's ever been a teenager can relate to.

That's why there's CHAINS EVERYWHERE in the alternate world. Chains are tools of control. The war being fought between BRS, Chariot and Deadmaster are, as we know reflections of the inner struggles of these girls, not just between each other but within themselves. And in the end, it's that desire to control others that robs them of their freedom.

Which is also why I have mixed feelings about Saya. I absolutely love the concept of a villain who manipulates others into thinking she's an ally that should be sought for help and advice. What I'm not so crazy about is the seeming implication that she has some kind of supernatural powers, as hinted at with
Spoiler:
Mato having her fainting spell, and both her and Kagari seemingly having their memories wiped
. If you're good enough at manipulation, you don't really need some superpowers to control people. Tossing in some supernatural abilities seems like a shortcut, albeit one that does add to the tension.

The moments in this series that make me cringe with recognition - waiting for a text from that certain someone, only to get a text from someone completely different, texting you on that certain someone's behalf - yeah, that's what I love about this series. Black Rock Shooter is about the poison of jealousy. So far, it's moments like that which demonstrate how well it can convey the nature of that poison.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 09:10:42 PM by Tengukami »

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

♛ Apher-Forte

Yeah, kinda amazing how Saya is just using words and seeming kind advice to pit them all against one another. So can I safely guess that Saya IS Black Gold Saw? or is there something more!?

Drake

Well that was interesting, to say the least. Everything is suddenly so abstract that I can't really say anything.

♛ Apher-Forte

"In my dreams, I am a supergirl fighting in some kinda abstract world which the book I treasured leads to."

sounds like Alice in Wonderland... and really gsidhfiuh2i3sdfs

zOMGGGGGGG
Spoiler:

FUCK YEAH INSANE BLACK ROCK SHOOTER
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 02:27:44 PM by ♛ 少女の醜態るるる~~夢~天国 »

Tengukami

It seems now we're getting to the meat of the matter. As I said earlier, this show is about control - being controlled by others, the pain of being insecure and wanting to control your friends as they walk away from you and forget your name, and now - in this episode - letting go of control.

This becomes clear when
Spoiler:
Yuu tells Mato that the only way she can save Yumi is to kill Yumi's "other self" in the other world
. However, Yuu cautions Mato that this will "kill her feelings for you". In other words, Yumi's love for Mato is so twisted that it's killing her - kill the love, and she can be saved. This phenomenon should be pretty familiar to anyone who's ever loved someone in a way that hurts. That pain will never die until you kill the love. This also ties into Saya's sadistic suggestion that
Spoiler:
Mato herself should die to save Yumi
. No Mato, and the object of Yumi's sick love is gone.

I honestly don't know what's up with Saya, as far as what her motivations could possibly be for being such a sadist. But that's my favorite kind of villain - evil not necessarily for the sake of any particular gain; just evil for the sake of evil. Making coffee and making other students selectively forget each other, just for shits and giggles. What a bitch, right? Still, one thing that bugs me is
Spoiler:
if Saya has this power to give students amnesia about a particular student, why hasn't she yet made everyone forget Mato exists?
The only reason I can imagine is that Saya wants to keep making trouble for as long as possible - she doesn't really want things to resolve themselves. She just likes seeing kids suffer.

I have my ideas about how things will go in the sixth episode, but for now I'll just say that I'm happy with how the writers have taken on this project.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 09:37:32 PM by Tengukami »

♛ Apher-Forte

Indeed, from nothing but a song this is quick becoming one of the best shows in terms of story and action this season and all seasons (bonus because it is yuri and reminds me dastardly of Kamininozuki no Miko)

I think this episode calls for all kinds of My Chemical Romance for the background music.
No I ain't even joking. At this point I am like 'How the fuck did Saya even get employed in the councilor's office?'

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
I'll probably end up watching this... Just for Black Matagi though, who happens to be my only favorite in this bunch.
And I swear, fan art of pretty much everyone but the two main girls are so scarce.
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

♛ Apher-Forte

I don't think Matagi will show up however, seems like all the characters are already present anyway... BRS, BGS, DM, CHR, STR

EP6 made me shed some tears, in the very ending,
Spoiler:
when Yomi deletes Mato's folder off her cellphone

I'm not much into theorycrafting about anime, so that's it. :B

Tengukami

Well this is an intriguing development. I now have more sympathy for Saya and less for Mato. But only a little less. All of these characters are so emotionally and psychologically damaged that it's no surprise they're all kicking the shit out of each other in a parallel universe.

Drake

Saya-chan is a character that wanted to help somebody so she became the protagonist and then when the protagonist protagonist came along she became the not-protagonist protagonist in an effort to combat the protagonist protagonist because the protagonist protagonist actually caused the other protagonist protagonist to inadvertently become an antagonist but from the protagonist protagonist's point of view the antagonist is a good guy while the not-protagonist protagonist is viewed as the antagonist that originally displayed herself as a good guy because the not-protagonist protagonist is combating the protagonist protagonist by antagonizing the other protagonists for the purpose of saving the other other protagonists. Everyone is a protagonist.

yeah ok got it

Honestly though I'm finding the writing a bit awkward and contradictory right now. It clearly is just working in reverse, so I can't say it jumps all over the place, but the way the earlier episodes are written aren't really consistent with the new developments and such. It's still good, but it's certainly weird.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 08:58:04 AM by Drake »

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
Okay, just binged on episodes 1-5. This is totally rad and I can't believe I wasn't watching this earlier.
Spoiler:
Dependency issues are so much fun to work out, aren't they, Yomi?
I'll watch episode 6 as soon as I wake up again so I can read the spoiler tags in this thread so far.

Gave in  to peer pressure and started watching this, two episodes in and really enjoying it so far (even though I hated the OVA). Really appreciate how they're putting more focus on the character interactions this time around and simply using the other-world sequences as a symbolic representation of events (my biggest complaint with the OVA was how they spent too much time on the battle sequences which were lacking in context, making them actually kind of dull).

Drake

Gave in  to peer pressure and started watching this, two episodes in and really enjoying it so far (even though I hated the OVA). Really appreciate how they're putting more focus on the character interactions this time around and simply using the other-world sequences as a symbolic representation of events (my biggest complaint with the OVA was how they spent too much time on the battle sequences which were lacking in context, making them actually kind of dull).
Wow, I'm actually surprised here. For many of the people who are watch both the OVA and the anime, the OVA is nearly unanimously considered better and, at least when it had just came out, people pressed that there wasn't enough concentration on the battles and that there was too much high-school. Of course now it's obvious that the series is built upon the high-school setting, but it's still interesting to hear "I hated the OVA and I'm liking the anime". Quite a few people are disappointed that the anime isn't basically a continuation or exploration/expansion on the OVA and are even trying to hammer the crap out of the anime and denounce it as not-canon, that's how vehement this get.

Tengukami

Wow, I'm actually surprised here. For many of the people who are watch both the OVA and the anime, the OVA is nearly unanimously considered better and, at least when it had just came out, people pressed that there wasn't enough concentration on the battles and that there was too much high-school. Of course now it's obvious that the series is built upon the high-school setting, but it's still interesting to hear "I hated the OVA and I'm liking the anime". Quite a few people are disappointed that the anime isn't basically a continuation or exploration/expansion on the OVA and are even trying to hammer the crap out of the anime and denounce it as not-canon, that's how vehement this get.

I have seen this, too, and I find it strange. I felt the battle scenes and the external struggles meshed better together in the OVA, but better than the anime? I don't know, I think the ideas the OVA touched on are getting fleshed out better now. And the combat is prettier.

Alfred F. Jones

I liked the OVA so much I bought the original DVD, myself. The character designs were so much better than the anime's, as well. I don't dislike the anime, however, as it is absolutely enthralling.

e: Just watched episode 6. Thursday can't come soon enough, I am dying to know what happens next.

♛ Apher-Forte

I figured they should have Huke do all the art from start to end. simply because it will accentuate how dark this series is.

MatsuriSakuragi

I've picked this up and caught up, as well. I have to say, I'm enjoying it quite a bit and am excited for episode 7.

Also, I really like the ED. Supercell is wonderful <3

Drake

speaking of which has anyone else noticed how similar guilty crown's first ED and brs's ED are

♛ Apher-Forte

I did the second time I watched it.
Oh well... lolproductionvalues.

Tengukami

My mind is blown.
Spoiler:
Poor Strength.

Love the mythology of these characters brought to light, and I thought the "documentary" segments were neat. And with the way it ended, I have a very good feeling the final episode is going to be tremendous.

Really great direction here. This series became a surprise favorite of mine with this episode.

Hm, after watching this episode, I have to say
Spoiler:
Yuu
is a rather interesting character.

Spoiler:
One one hand, she seems pretty selfish for how far she's willing to go to have Strength shoulder her burden... on the other, she's desperate enough to be to take her place in the other world and potentially risk death in order to escape.

Looking forward to the finale next week.

Alfred F. Jones

Spoiler:
One one hand, she seems pretty selfish for how far she's willing to go to have Strength shoulder her burden
wait, the same
Spoiler:
Yuu
who
Spoiler:
took the drastic step of switching with her so that Strength wouldn't have to bear her burden without getting a decent shot at life? That Yuu is selfish?
Or maybe I am just not reading your post correctly.

Anyway,
Spoiler:
Yomi remembers and Dead Master is waking back up.
Awwwww yeah this is going to be an interesting finale.

And I don't care how out-there my speculah is,
Spoiler:
PLEASE LET MATO'S MOM BE BLACK MATAGI.