Author Topic: "You can't Rely on Deathbombing"  (Read 5227 times)

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
"You can't Rely on Deathbombing"
« on: February 07, 2012, 11:38:02 AM »
Good sir I beg to differ. This run THRIVED on deathbombing.

I suck at Touhou 8's Extra Stage. This run was successful because of my damn reflexes. Point of the matter is, it's possible to rely on deathbombing and have it successful, and at times it will be if you deathbomb correctly.
My profile picture is whimsy until I feel like adding something else.

Enjoy.

Re: "You can't Rely on Deathbombing"
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 12:35:11 PM »
Touhou 8 is exempt.
It gives you way longer than the other games, except Reimu in PCB.
Nevertheless, semi-deathbombing is always useful (where you bomb then get hit right after)~
Hard 1ccs
Completed: IN, MoF, SA, DDC, LoLK, HSiFS

Extra 1ccs
Completed: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, SA, UFO, DDC, LoLK, HSiFS

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 12:54:46 PM »
Touhou 8 is exempt.
It gives you way longer than the other games, except Reimu in PCB.
This.
Now go match that run on, say, MoF extra with deathbombing every hit.
and no pre-emptive bombs.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 01:43:57 PM »
I can tell what inspired you to make this topic. Like LeviLamprey said above, and as I've said before in other topics, IN and PCB Reimu are the exception with deathbombing.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 03:42:46 PM »
Although, even in IN, deathbombing costs two bombs instead of one (And while deathbombing with 1 is possible in IN, the timer for it is -ridiculously- small. I've done it once.), which means that it's still FAR better to bomb normally instead of deathbomb. Yes, you're quite likely going to be deathbombing plenty anyway, but it should be an aim not to; that fact that it costs half as many bombs to do a normal one makes up for the fact that you'll bomb in some places you did not quite need to.

And yeah, PCB Reimu does have a notably large deathbomb timer for non-IN games (Although, seriously, use vsync patch on EoSD/PCB if you can, it makes a BIG difference in those two. Insignificant on the later ones.), which only helps make her the great PCB shot type in addition to Marisa scant bombs and tiny range, and Sakuya's superfast focus speed (Although with 4 bombs and useful shot types, Sakuya can still be a thing...)
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Drake

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 06:11:58 PM »
It's never been "you can't rely on deathbombing"; it's "you should never rely on deathbombing".

Also, the normal IN deathbomb period is one frame. IN Border team shitbomb time, in comparison, is 26 frames after that. That's almost half a second. You don't need reflexes at all to be able to react to that, and implying such is silly. I congratulate you for clearing IN Extra, but it had barely anything to do with reflexive deathbombing and everything to do with you getting hit a bunch but Border team giving you a huge grace period anyways.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 06:13:52 PM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 10:38:20 PM »
It's never been "you can't rely on deathbombing"; it's "you should never rely on deathbombing".

Also, the normal IN deathbomb period is one frame. IN Border team shitbomb time, in comparison, is 26 frames after that. That's almost half a second. You don't need reflexes at all to be able to react to that, and implying such is silly. I congratulate you for clearing IN Extra, but it had barely anything to do with reflexive deathbombing and everything to do with you getting hit a bunch but Border team giving you a huge grace period anyways.

Yeah to tell the truth I was just being a bitch. I'm able to deathbomb well with the Netherworld team, for example, as well. However, I am planning to redo my Extra Run with that same team for just that reason: My run thrived on easy-to-do deathbombing due to using the most overused team in the game, which is why I will make up for it with an Extra Clear with the Netherworld Team, the team that I ironically get hit much less than with the Border team, even though their hitbox is fucking gihugic.

Enjoy.

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 03:27:15 AM »
"you should never rely on deathbombing".
Exceptions for everything Drake!  Stupid MoF scoring system...

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 08:54:25 PM »
Exceptions for everything Drake!  Stupid MoF scoring system...

I honestly never missed or bombed during Suwako's fight until the nonspell before the annoying fucking survival card that makes roads that you have to figure out and dodge Suwako at the same time, after I installed the Vsync Patch.

And that one bomb that started the failure was a deathbomb. I swear, I don't get how my reflexes like to work for me, ESPECIALLY IN MY DAMN HANDS even though I like to bite my hand and damage the nerves in my thumb (And yet it's the most functioning finger in my right hand; Yes, a thumb is a finger. It's a three-jointed bone used for gripping objects.)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 08:56:42 PM by Esupanitix »

Enjoy.

Drake

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 09:40:53 PM »
He was just talking about MoF's silly scoring quirks. When you bomb in MoF you lose 50000 faith, but if you deathbomb, you don't lose any. Pair that with the absurd amount of bombs MoF gives you, and you end up with MoF's whole scoring system being basically "chain items, don't die ever and purposefully deathbomb everything". Of course, this still has nothing to do with the actual context so I'm still right >:I

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 02:13:44 AM »
He was just talking about MoF's silly scoring quirks. When you bomb in MoF you lose 50000 faith, but if you deathbomb, you don't lose any.

WHAT? THAT MAKES NO FUCKING SENSE.

Pair that with the absurd amount of bombs MoF gives you, and you end up with MoF's whole scoring system being basically "chain items, don't die ever and purposefully deathbomb everything".

Good god, this game's broken as fuck.

Of course, this still has nothing to do with the actual context so I'm still right >:I
I wasn't saying you weren't.

Enjoy.

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 12:14:02 AM »
WHAT? THAT MAKES NO FUCKING SENSE.
You're right it doesn't, but fortunately it's just 3000, not 50000. Even WR runs have some occasions where the player fails to deathbomb and ends up firing a normal bomb, but a 3k drop is forgivable whereas 50k would ruin the whole run.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 10:18:27 PM »
Probably unrelated to anything, but I feel like I should point out that in EoSD, your deathbomb window decreases by something like 0.01 seconds every time you death bomb without dying. So I wouldn't say you can rely on it in that game. :P
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet