Author Topic: The Otaku Scale. How Otaku are you?  (Read 47063 times)

gammaraptor

• i won't depend on anyone anymore
The Otaku Scale. How Otaku are you?
« on: February 09, 2012, 05:46:04 AM »
If you had to rate yourself on how otaku you are from 0 (not into anime, manga etc at all) to a 10 (o.o hardcore, like twice as hardcore as konata.) Where would you fit?

I'm around 6.5. Almost a 7 once I start spending more money xD. Anything past 8 will be really bad for me.

So.... According to this site: http://www.armory.com/tests/anime.html
I'm 28.0% otaku corrupt. So, I'm not willing to yet let it take over my life. That's pretty accurate. 

The more corrupt you are, the more otaku you are.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 03:04:52 PM by gammaraptor »

Re: The Otaku Scale. How Otaku are you?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 05:51:15 AM »
I thought there would be a test.

I'll say 5.5

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 07:39:25 AM »
In before banned for power levels, templates like these are forbi(ry

Widermelonz

• Delicious
  • Yum
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 08:19:40 AM »
Well, I've spent several hundreds of dollars on just anime figures over that past several months, and I've learned Japanese up to a decent level. I've also set up a flat-screen TV with surround sounds in my room (which I've rearranged to be acoustically symmetrical) for watching anime. I almost always follow more than 5 anime series per season, and I live-stream each new episode when it airs in Japan.

I'd say I'm about 3/10.

Ibaraki Ibuki

• The Forum Fool
  • Happy Horned Hermit
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 08:41:37 AM »
I guess I'd be around a 2. So far, I just buy manga from bookstores. Already I have a couple of shelves full of manga volumes (plus Haruhi Suzumiya light novels); I don't know exactly how much I've spent over the years growing my collection, but it's probably at least $300. (No first editions or anything of the sort; I buy to read (and support the publishers).)
If I were to start watching anime again, I'd be a 3.
Some of Master's sayings:
Nothing happened, but that's still an extra.
Yesterday was not special; tomorrow will be.
Strange and romantic is the fate.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 11:13:30 AM »
And here I was, expecting a link to those website where you had to ask bunch of questions and a very accurate scoring came out describing one's 'Otaku level'.

What does one make an Otaku again?

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 11:16:28 AM »
We rate ourselves? Screw that, I want an online test that I can share on Facebook!

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Kinzo the Astro Curious

• One small step for Desu; One giant leap for touhou-kind!
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 12:17:36 PM »
In fairness I probably hide my power level too much, but then I do play my music in the car with other people around, my music, don't like it get out - but most of my mates actually do like the tracks I choose  :V

I did learn a few bits of Japanese but to be honest I'm not really good at it at all. I don't buy anything from Japan, I don't have that kind of expendable cash. If I did, it'd all be music. I don't see the point in buying books or videos that I can't understand, I don't pretend I'll ever be an expert in this.

I dunno, a 3 or something? Then again if watermelonz is a 3, then I'm a negative number.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 12:22:24 PM »
And here I was, expecting a link to those website where you had to ask bunch of questions and a very accurate scoring came out describing one's 'Otaku level'.

I was also honestly expecting the same thing, but I can't really rate myself without being slightly biased or dishonest about it. Truthfully told, I cater to these so-called otaku through my dealings with the anime/mango kind, mostly through translation work and the like. I wouldn't say I was obsessed or extremely into it though unless it's something like yuri but that plays less to the fact I'm into anime/mango and more into my intraspections. I have, however, been to Comiket (C72~73) for what it's worth.

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 01:41:56 PM »
gotta hide my powerlevel from society yo
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

gammaraptor

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 01:58:04 PM »
Lol, a bunch of questions totally needs to be made T.T

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 02:11:49 PM »
Lol, a bunch of questions totally needs to be made T.T
I am sure if you google you'll find already existing quizzes or tests.

I was also honestly expecting the same thing, but I can't really rate myself without being slightly biased or dishonest about it. Truthfully told, I cater to these so-called otaku through my dealings with the anime/mango kind, mostly through translation work and the like. I wouldn't say I was obsessed or extremely into it though unless it's something like yuri but that plays less to the fact I'm into anime/mango and more into my intraspections. I have, however, been to Comiket (C72~73) for what it's worth.
I see Otaku kind of a "NIPPON" naming for our western terminology: Nerd or Geek.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 02:14:03 PM by Helepolis »

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 02:16:29 PM »
Yeah was hoping for a test just to be curious on what their definition of an Otaku is :V

If it was just myself though, I'd rate myself a 2. As much as I like the idea of anime, I never had the time to watch them :< Most I have are a couple of manga (Azumanga Omnibus, Lucky Star 6, and some Death Note) as well as watched only a handful of anime.  Touhou stuff doesn't count does it?

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 02:23:28 PM »

There's some good stuff out there, but around 97% of it makes me either puke or kill people.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 03:08:01 PM »

Anyways, off to the main topic at hand.

Self-rating? Eh, I'd give more along the range of 0.5.

I seldom watch anim? anymore, nor am I interested in watching any. I do have a few manga and light novels, but they're more for language purposes rather than entertainment. As for games, I've only imported one game from Japan (GGX2^AC+, PSP version), and as of late (with thanks to playing most games on PC) I've bought games mostly from NA and EU developers, with JP ones being limited to iOS and doujin works.

As for the definition of otaku, well, let's say that mine pretty much marks them as devout Japanophiles, and that I find it distressing.
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

Tengukami

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2012, 03:25:37 PM »
This looks pretty thorough, although is focuses specifically on anime otaku-ness. 200 questions, you just tick the box if the sentence applies to you.

Edit: Actually, it seems like it's a pretty old quiz. They're talking about video tapes and whatnot.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 03:33:36 PM by Tengukami »

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

gammaraptor

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2012, 03:39:15 PM »
This looks pretty thorough, although is focuses specifically on anime otaku-ness. 200 questions, you just tick the box if the sentence applies to you.

Edit: Actually, it seems like it's a pretty old quiz. They're talking about video tapes and whatnot.

Yeah, that one is probably the best. The other one's I've found were pretty crap.

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2012, 03:49:38 PM »

Oh that's good. I got 83% otaku pure (therefore according to this I'm 17% Otaku :V)

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2012, 03:56:48 PM »
prompts for the best by which all should be judged make me curl up and die inside

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Tengukami

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2012, 04:06:51 PM »
Yeah, that one is probably the best. The other one's I've found were pretty crap.

It's just old is all. Who the hell owns a laser disk player? Do people really keep their anime on VHS tapes?

I'd like to see a broader quiz on otaku-ness (anime, manga, games, cosplay, toy trains, whatever) with at least 100 questions. Maybe that's something to do tonight!

gammaraptor

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2012, 04:08:05 PM »
It's just old is all. Who the hell owns a laser disk player? Do people really keep their anime on VHS tapes?

I'd like to see a broader quiz on otaku-ness (anime, manga, games, cosplay, toy trains, whatever) with at least 100 questions. Maybe that's something to do tonight!

Yeah. Probably should go make it on.... Sporcle?

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2012, 04:09:29 PM »
Via this linked quiz I got a mere 8% otaku. Then again this quiz is anime-centric, so the value is lower for this medium for my case.
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2012, 04:59:36 PM »
probably 9

I am not shy of my powerlevels as I express my golden shining hair all the time.
I am also quite the spender for this aspect, but all things considered I am not as rich as I should be as I have not afforded my own TV set, PS3 and Xbox and any console deemed in, and have not played much games to scream IRL - LARPing moves at random people.
I also don't yet have the desire to liek mudkips/
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2012, 05:51:44 PM »
I'm probably a disaster. Anime cons, self-taught cosplay which I put several hours worth of thought and effort to each week, figurines, and other such crimes against humanity. I think I do well when in a normal environment because I never really bring the subject of such things up and can completely avoid such subjects in conversation, nor do I introduce it to people in any way. This doesn't stop me from flashing my Ran key chain that also has the Stop & Shop discount member tag attached to it when I go grocery shopping.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2012, 06:36:08 PM »
Apparently I'm 21% corrupt...but again, it's old.  Looking forward to if someone makes a less concentrated quiz thing!
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2012, 06:59:04 PM »
I'm massively otaku, I think?
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2012, 06:59:40 PM »
20.0% otaku corrupt

hue

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2012, 07:04:51 PM »
I'd probably rate myself between a three and a four. I have a few series I really get into, but in general I only have a casual interest in them.

If we brought games into the equation though, I'd raise myself to between a five and a six. I'm not one of those spend-a-holics who buys a new game every month (who the hell has that kind of money and time), but I keep a steady appetite of games.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 07:07:59 PM by nintendonut888 »
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2012, 07:13:08 PM »
I'd say about 5-6. I own a few series on DVD, and I've bought/won some merchandise/figurines. I'm not particularly given to public displays of my fandom (I haven't gotten around to cosplaying or anything), although I do intend to maybe put a mini-Nendoroid or something on my desk once I land a secure job.

Kinzo the Astro Curious

• One small step for Desu; One giant leap for touhou-kind!
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2012, 07:25:58 PM »
80.0% otaku pure (20.0% otaku corrupt)

This is suprisingly higher than I expected.

Does making a fandub of Pmiller1 count as a fandub parody of anime?  :V

I admit I was real leniant, occasionally changing "anime" to "touhou" in my head.