Author Topic: What If They Had Powers?  (Read 14117 times)

Re: What If They Had Powers?
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2011, 03:05:38 AM »
I'd say Reimu has a special power - not everyone can "fly away from reality", after all. But then, she's also the shrine maiden of the Hakurei Border, so...

« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2011, 07:48:05 AM »
I'd say Reimu has a special power - not everyone can "fly away from reality", after all. But then, she's also the shrine maiden of the Hakurei Border, so...

I disagree with this notion. Reimu's ability is to fly, which you may interpret it as fly away from reality or interpret it as simply to fly. I prefer
the latter interpretation, because it makes less sense on how "fly to the sky" becomes "fly away from reality".
In either case, she can cross realities, but I see that as something else she can do, like warping space, teleport, etc.
Both latter skills have nothing to do with flying.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2011, 11:58:02 AM »
I disagree with this notion. Reimu's ability is to fly, which you may interpret it as fly away from reality or interpret it as simply to fly. I prefer
the latter interpretation, because it makes less sense on how "fly to the sky" becomes "fly away from reality".
In either case, she can cross realities, but I see that as something else she can do, like warping space, teleport, etc.
Both latter skills have nothing to do with flying.

This is kind of nit-picking, though. If she can fly, and cross realities, then yes; she can indeed fly away from reality.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2011, 02:40:28 AM »
This is kind of nit-picking, though. If she can fly, and cross realities, then yes; she can indeed fly away from reality.
I know it is nit picking, but I feel that it is important enough to do so. As I see it, it is more like because of Reimu can manipulate boundaries,
she is able to exit reality and attack from there.

It feels like sometimes all I see is a character and their abilities, instead of everything else. Look at Youmu, swordsmanship may be her
ability, but she is also very good at magic. Or Yuyuko, invoke death may be her ability, but she isn't a stage 6 boss because of that. She
is probably very good at fighting. This extends to all characters with vague abilities, it is not all they can do and some are shown, like Reimu.
In addition to flight, she can summon gods, weaken and strengthen barriers, warp space, do some boundary manipulation of some sort.
Yukari may also know how to summon gods, since she seems to know a whole lot about them and taught Reimu how to do it.

Tengukami

« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2011, 04:16:44 AM »
I know it is nit picking, but I feel that it is important enough to do so. As I see it, it is more like because of Reimu can manipulate boundaries,
she is able to exit reality and attack from there.

Ergo, she can "fly away from reality". So, yeah. There's no real matter of contention there.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2011, 04:45:02 AM »
Yes, but it is not her ability to fly that is letting her do that. It is that she can somewhat control boundaries that is letting her do that.
It is just a matter of context of what it is.

Tengukami

« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2011, 05:02:04 AM »
Yes, but it is not her ability to fly that is letting her do that. It is that she can somewhat control boundaries that is letting her do that.
It is just a matter of context of what it is.

It's not a matter of context, at all. You're strawmanning. No one said her ability to fly allows her to escape reality. She has the ability to leave reality. There is nothing factually untrue about saying she can "fly away from reality", i.e., "fly away" as in "to leave, to escape". This isn't rocket science.

« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2011, 05:33:28 AM »
It's not a matter of context, at all. You're strawmanning. No one said her ability to fly allows her to escape reality. She has the ability to leave reality. There is nothing factually untrue about saying she can "fly away from reality", i.e., "fly away" as in "to leave, to escape". This isn't rocket science.
What I am saying is people believe her ability to fly is just that. That is why I try to make such a distinction.
I am not arguing about what she can do.

Tengukami

« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2011, 05:35:15 AM »
What I am saying is people believe her ability to fly is just that. That is why I try to make such a distinction.
I am not arguing about what she can do.

Show me where anyone said that.

« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2011, 05:36:28 AM »
Show me where anyone said that.
Right at the top of this page. Of course, maybe I am misreading it.

Tengukami

« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2011, 05:37:40 AM »
Right at the top of this page. Of course, maybe I am misreading it.

You are misreading it. Notice those quote marks? That means it's a figure of speech.

Jesus.

« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2011, 05:40:48 AM »
Then I apologize. It sounded like that is an extension of her ability to fly.