Author Topic: M.U.G.E.N  (Read 11324 times)

likkyzero

• i want a hug...
Re: M.U.G.E.N
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2011, 03:34:29 AM »
so my research here on the shrine maiden forums says that most people here dislike mugen and think its terrible am i right? (and yes it was a research all along)

« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2011, 04:40:51 AM »
I don't know why so many people dislike it. It never seems to get old for me.
I mean, come on, it's a fighter that you can add anything you want to.

Granted, some of the things you can get for it kinda suck, but it's possible to find some really cool stuff.

Momijibot

• Well?
  • What can you do?
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2011, 05:03:31 PM »
M.U.G.E.N's potential hasn't been realized.

If made correctly, we could have any modern fighting game, mechanics wise effectively for free-if we're willing to accept that the graphics will not be as good.
But most of the time, the characters are simply slung in there, unbalanced and shoddily coded.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2011, 07:55:12 PM »
If made correctly, we could have any modern fighting game, mechanics wise effectively for free-if we're willing to accept that the graphics will not be as good.
But most of the time, the characters are simply slung in there, unbalanced and shoddily coded.
This, pretty much.

MUGEN is an engine.  It has some limitations - but in terms of actual gameplay, many of these could be worked around with some intelligence (Except netplay).  The catch is that, of course... extremely few people have ever wanted to treat it as an actual game creation engine, to build something from scratch.

There is games like Card Saga Wars (Trailer) however, which are aiming to realise Mugen's full potential.  They look fantastic.  And the reason why is that the whole game is being built by a united team and equalized to the same standards.

When you use MUGEN like 99% of its players do - which is to just download As Many Characters As Possible - you end up with an unbalanced, buggy mess of a game.

Drake

« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2011, 08:08:30 PM »
The inherent problem with M.U.G.E.N is exactly what you posted.

"Potential hasn't been realized." "If made correctly." "For free."

The fact of the matter is, M.U.G.E.N is simultaneously easy to use and create characters with, but is still fatally limited due to being free, following a set standard of gameplay without any intrinsic regulation or structure, and the very fact that anyone can edit it. Making characters is no problem. In extension, everyone makes characters. There is no standard for any given created character, so it's impossible to "balance" a character properly. To boot, it takes a lot of effort to balance a character rather than just give it a moveset with hitboxes and call it a day. If it's virtually impossible to balance characters to begin with, why should anyone even bother to attempt it? To create a full game? No, your characters are still used outside of the game to face Haruhi Brando Simpson DX, and you can't help that. But then, what's the purpose of making a full game in M.U.G.E.N, if the point is to isolate your characters from others, create your own mechanics and systems that are used for those characters and nobody else? Well, there is none. That's why you don't use M.U.G.E.N to create full games. You program your own fighting games in an actual general-purpose language. You don't take advantage of a game engine. You're still free to do whatever the fuck you want, you have all the potential M.U.G.E.N offers and more, you make it how you want, and you can sell it. Unless you have people that are too lazy to learn programming and do it the normal way, you aren't going to find full games in M.U.G.E.N. You shouldn't find full games. You will find all the misfit, unbalanced, drivel characters shoved in that people want to see in a fighting game, just for the sake of it existing; not for any actual purpose besides beating up Konata Guile Margatroid the Hedgehog. There will never be balancing as long as M.U.G.E.N stays how it is, without regulation or structure. This is why I don't like M.U.G.E.N.

M.U.G.E.N will never win because it is M.U.G.E.N.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Momijibot

• Well?
  • What can you do?
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2011, 08:38:37 PM »
*Snip*

I probably forgot to mention this, but I was talking about complete MUGEN releases, like the numerous Mugen SF4 releases.

On the other hand, you're exactly right.

likkyzero

• i want a hug...
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2011, 02:05:24 PM »
things are just as how their are.

as for the unbalanced characters... its just the pure choice of the creator of the characters themselves
unless someone has the skill to change their properties and attacks which people have to do so. but are too lazy to do it.

if i had the skills to change any character i would just edit em like the famous Chuck norris character i would remove his instant kill attacks and his immortality... well actually i would do that to every invincible character but yeah... you get my point i suppose

characters are just made for fun mugen is developed for shits and giggles. well mugen is properly not considered a game at all.