Author Topic: Touhou Accomplishments Mk. II  (Read 258084 times)

Re: Touhou Accomplishments Mk. II
« Reply #750 on: August 26, 2009, 08:03:53 PM »
Anyone else find it odd that, in the game that wants to be much more random than its predecessors, its timeout is so statically easy?  There is some randomness to it, but not much.  I think it's the easiest of all the Extra timeouts.

No.
No.
No.

Border of Humans and Youkai is *by far* the easiest survival card in extra stages, then ATWTBN. Suwa War or Philosophy are the hardest, but I find Nue's to be pretty hard as well.
Quote from Myosotis:
"Marriage is a game you can't win. Also, no replay value and the level design is bullshit.

Bananamatic

« Reply #751 on: August 26, 2009, 08:10:20 PM »
I find Border of Humans and Youkai somewhat hard.....

Possessed By Phoenix is by far the easiest.

« Reply #752 on: August 26, 2009, 08:18:49 PM »
What's so great about Nue's survival card anyway? I have captured it but it wasn't really fun at all. Felt claustrophobic.

Maybe the battle is still worth it though. That bubble-non spell is fun i think. And i also need to capture the final spellcard. I always get hit by the last wave.

If for nothing else, i'll just drop by for the socks... oh and Kogasa is one of my favorite extra mid-bosses. Except for her third one.

I find Border of Humans and Youkai somewhat hard.....

Possessed By Phoenix is by far the easiest.

I'm currently trying to do Kokkuri-sans Contract. I always die at least once. Then again, i've only tried three times. At least i got Shikigami Chen. I don't know why i failed that so much in the past. Its so simple. Still, Possesed by Phoenix is actually very easy if you know how to do it. That means Border of Humans and Youkai can only be harder.

Why does extra bosses have to have these anyway? Well at least there's only one in Nue's battle. That automatically makes her superior to Koishi. :)

Bananamatic

« Reply #753 on: August 26, 2009, 08:44:03 PM »
PbP is the only one I've captured as it's mostly just about moving around constantly and tapping in the second phase.... (no memorization, no claustrophobic dodging)

At first I've found Chen easier than Ran, but once you figure out that staying at the bottom makes you safe and that Ran is aimed, Chen suddenly becomes harder.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #754 on: August 26, 2009, 09:41:40 PM »
PbP is a lot harder when you simply can't do the tapping right. No matter how much I try I can't tap at the right pace long enough to either avoid getting shot or hitting the top. When you have to do it the spiral method it suddenly gets to the same difficulty as the other survival cards.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Bananamatic

« Reply #755 on: August 26, 2009, 09:42:26 PM »
Finally defeated Flandre with 2 lives left.
Captured Cranberry Trap(finally started to make sense to me, now I can capture it semi-consistently), L?vatein, Four Of A Kind, Kagome, died on Maze of Love but finished it without bombing(had no bombs to begin with), bombed Starbow Break once, same for Catadioptric(when I bomb when she shoots the reflecting shots to the right, the left one gets cleared too and I can finish her without risk with ReimuB), captured Counter Clock, started ATWTBN with 4 lives and 1 bomb, QED with 3 lives and 2 bombs, stupidly clipped it with both bombs and finished it with 2.....could finish it with 3.

Still, it's an improvement :V

And I do PbP the spiral tapping way too....I don't find it too hard. Easier than other survivals for sure.

« Reply #756 on: August 26, 2009, 11:23:51 PM »
PbP is a lot harder when you simply can't do the tapping right. No matter how much I try I can't tap at the right pace long enough to either avoid getting shot or hitting the top. When you have to do it the spiral method it suddenly gets to the same difficulty as the other survival cards.

Same thing, though I hit the bottom, not the top. Because of the way the familiars are placed, I believe it's MUCH easier to start from the top. The familiars don't spawn on the very bottom of the screen, so you can continue to tap slowly for some time, which should be long enough for that phase to end.
"My friends are coming for Poker tonight. We will require Koolaid."

« Reply #757 on: August 26, 2009, 11:34:14 PM »
Cheesing the second phase of PbP just requires using extremely small and easy taps.  Like, Secretly Inherited Art of Danmaku taps.  Just remember that the arrows have ridiculously small hitboxes and don't let them spook you.  It's also good to stay at the bottom and let some of the familiars spawn before you start tapping, so that you get more room to work with.  Just count until 5-7 of them appear and then start.

nintendonut888

« Reply #758 on: August 26, 2009, 11:43:05 PM »
I KNOW this. -_- The sad fact is that I suck at rhythm-based attacks plain and simple. Stuff like Blazing Wheel just destroys me. It's why I can do stuff like lunatic Touhou but can't even begin to touch stuff like Stepmania.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

« Reply #759 on: August 27, 2009, 01:23:34 AM »
Cheesing the second phase of PbP just requires using extremely small and easy taps.

I don't know what you're using to play, but extremely small taps sure as hell aren't easy. Sometimes the character moves twice farther than I wanted it to, and at other times the character barely moves at all and gets hit from behind in streaming parts. I tried pressing the key with my index, and it wasn't much better. It's so damn inconsistent it's completely useless.

I don't want to fight with my keyboard while I'm playing. Going from top-left to bottom-right works almost every time anyway.

EDIT: My W key just came off and I had to place it back. Seems like my keyboard is pretty crappy actually. Maybe I could use it as an excuse for my crappy runs...
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 06:05:53 AM by Generalguy »
"My friends are coming for Poker tonight. We will require Koolaid."

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #760 on: August 27, 2009, 01:51:35 AM »
the final phase [of Nue's last spell], which is, to me, complete luck-garbage.
Thank you.
Nue's last spell is an embarrassment in at least three different ways.

Possessed by Phoenix is the easiest Extra timeout, although Nue's spell comes close if you learn how to go through the chimera walls.  Even if you can't do the taps right like me you can still circle around the screen and get through every one of the phases.

I actually think the blue wall spirits at the beginning and the red cage are the worst parts of ATWTBN.

I don't have the patience to micromemorize Boundary of Humans and Youkai :v

nintendonut888

« Reply #761 on: August 27, 2009, 05:39:00 AM »
Hah! Finally perfected Reisen. I've beaten her without bombs or deaths before, but I've never captured Tele-Mesmerism in the same run. Seriously, what was ZUN thinking when he designed this fight. This is the only time in the series when a stage 5 boss is easier than the stage 2 boss.

« Reply #762 on: August 27, 2009, 11:26:43 AM »
Hah! Finally perfected Reisen. I've beaten her without bombs or deaths before, but I've never captured Tele-Mesmerism in the same run. Seriously, what was ZUN thinking when he designed this fight. This is the only time in the series when a stage 5 boss is easier than the stage 2 boss.

That's only because of that non-spell Mystia has... retarded. Then there is Spell 21. Aside from that, all Mystias stuff is incredibly easy and i think Reisen have something that tops her. Reisens "Mind Stopper" for example. That's much tougher than anything Mystia have imo. (Maybe there is something i'm missing.)

Aside from Mind Stopper, anything Reisen has is pretty simple (Aside of Tele-Mesmerism of course). I don't know about her non-spells though as i've only done her in Spell Practice at least on the Lunatic difficulty.

Bananamatic

« Reply #763 on: August 27, 2009, 01:26:39 PM »
3 of 5 of her spellcards are pretty pathetic even on lunatic, and one of the harder 2 is a last spell.
Her opener isn't much different on Lunatic, her second one is kind of luck based, and the third one isn't too hard either.
So yeah, useless rabbit, only good for her sex appeal :V

« Reply #764 on: August 27, 2009, 03:02:01 PM »
In the midst of my EoSD rage period where I couldn't advance past Stage 2 with the normal 3 lives + 2 extra from score, I had a semi-brilliant run where I lost 4 lives in the first two Stages, but I was able to survive until Stage 4 with lives from Score until I screwed up :P.  Oh well.  It's still pretty far for me.

KomeijiKoishi

« Reply #765 on: August 27, 2009, 04:14:19 PM »
FINISHED UFO EXTRA! FINALLY!
Better yet, I captured the Frogger card for the first time!
All in all, 8 of 13 cards captured (Kogasa 1st & 3rd, Nue 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 9th)

« Reply #766 on: August 27, 2009, 04:26:14 PM »
SA Hard with MarisaA. Much easier than thought, I could handle it with ease even after dying in dumb places about 5 times. Panicked on Hell's Tokamak, Subterranean Sun and Utsuho's third noncard though.

Wide shot is such a blessing. UFO Hard and Extra are still annoying, though. What's the trick to Kogasa's lasers?

« Reply #767 on: August 27, 2009, 04:35:56 PM »
Timed out Catwalk on Hard difficulty. I didn't have the stage unlocked on Lunatic so i couldn't try for it on that difficulty. Not that i'd have much sucess anyway.

Here's a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T-Pf_IGFUc

KomeijiKoishi

« Reply #768 on: August 27, 2009, 04:38:54 PM »
What's the trick to Kogasa's lasers?
Just don't panic. It's like Danmaku Paranoia: Move as few as possible.

Bananamatic

« Reply #769 on: August 27, 2009, 04:42:18 PM »
The lasers are the easy part.
Guerilla Typhoon and the bean bullet walling crap are much harder....

« Reply #770 on: August 27, 2009, 05:09:17 PM »

Mental agility/prediction *or* moving inside a gap as the lasers slow down.

As for me:

http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=4554

MoF Normal Reimu B no vertical. I was convinced I was going to do it no-deaths halfway through stage 5, then I died to Thaumaturgy and realised later that three of Kanako's attacks are impossible no-vertical.
Quote from Myosotis:
"Marriage is a game you can't win. Also, no replay value and the level design is bullshit.

Drake

« Reply #771 on: August 27, 2009, 05:15:58 PM »
AHAHAHAHAHAHHA

OH GOD JUST WAIT LIKE HALF AN HOUR OR WHATEVER

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

KomeijiKoishi

« Reply #772 on: August 27, 2009, 05:45:18 PM »
The lasers are the easy part.
Guerilla Typhoon and the bean bullet walling crap are much harder....
Guerilla Typhoon is at least fun. I play it most of the time unfocused.
AHAHAHAHAHAHHA

OH GOD JUST WAIT LIKE HALF AN HOUR OR WHATEVER
Call me stupid, but I don't get the joke. Is it because the lasers don't land at you most of the time?

« Reply #773 on: August 27, 2009, 05:54:58 PM »
Oh okay, so I dodge it.

I thought left and right lasers moved a certain amount clockwise/counterclockwise on every flash and there was an easy tapping trick to it.

Drake

« Reply #774 on: August 27, 2009, 06:11:43 PM »
http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=4555

This is what I meant.

GODRAKE AHOY

SPINNING LASERS OF DEATH

THOU HAST BEEN RAPED

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Bananamatic

« Reply #775 on: August 27, 2009, 07:04:41 PM »

This is what I meant.

GODRAKE AHOY

SPINNING LASERS OF DEATH

THOU HAST BEEN RAPED
SPELL BONUS FAILED

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #776 on: August 27, 2009, 07:08:37 PM »

This is what I meant.

GODRAKE AHOY

SPINNING LASERS OF DEATH

THOU HAST BEEN RAPED
You are MY SAVIOR

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #777 on: August 27, 2009, 07:16:06 PM »
I find moving along with the lasers as they slow down really helps...It kinda just gets unconscious reflex based on the last 2 or 3 though.

nintendonut888

« Reply #778 on: August 27, 2009, 09:23:03 PM »
Holy shit I made it through the stage portion of UFO stage 3 lunatic without dying. Granted I died about 4 times to Ichirin, but whatever. Baby steps.

More importantly:

http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=4557

Syou on hard mode beaten with no deaths and one bomb. This was also the first time I ever captured spinning lasers.

I also reached an epiphany that allowed me to beat the stage portion of stage 4 without deaths on hard: There are UFOs. They give out resources, and should be collected whenever possible. However, using a resource such as a bomb to pick up UFOs will make you lose resources you already have. These resources can only be restocked by collecting MORE UFOs, which if you use MORE resources to get THOSE, you...will simply run out resources. With this in mind I beat the stage portion of stage 4 with only one bomb while still getting a bunch of UFOs.

Damn it, why can't I play this good ALL the time? :(

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #779 on: August 27, 2009, 09:46:34 PM »
Using a bomb to chain together 3 green UFOs and filling it up will give you a net bonus of 1 star fragment. I would personally use the UFOs to clear bullets though. Even better when you can chain 2 together with 1 bomb.
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者