Author Topic: Touhou Accomplishments Mk. II  (Read 258085 times)

Hawk

• Babababa~
Re: Touhou Accomplishments Mk. II
« Reply #720 on: August 25, 2009, 11:59:43 PM »
I don't think that the base shot is getting weaker. I'm trying it at various powers, and don't see any difference. Perhaps the speed of the frog is inversely proportional to damage? So we could be having say, faster frogs doing a lesser amount of damage (at lowest; half the damage) than the slower frogs.

How are you able to accurately test the power of focused base shots?  If I wasn't clear (which is likely), I was hypothesizing that only the focused base shots get weaker, and the unfocused remain the same.

Yukkuri

« Reply #721 on: August 26, 2009, 12:09:33 AM »
I just 1cced Perfect Cherry Blossom on normal with ReimuB, my first normal 1cc of any Touhou game. I did start with 4 lives instead of the default 3, though, and the only way I got past Resurrection Butterfly was with heavy bomb use. Still, I'm very happy, especially considering I haven't played PCB since UFO came out. Replay here.
Great job.  Now your 2nd 1CC of normal will come faster.

Drake

« Reply #722 on: August 26, 2009, 02:36:49 AM »
Well that was weird.

I froze the initial power value to 4.00 in UFO. If you die while shooting, you'll come up with only three options and one shot will be shooting out of nowhere from where you died. It will change according to focus/unfocus, too.

awesome

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Sodium

• pew pew lasers
« Reply #723 on: August 26, 2009, 02:53:11 AM »
Well that was weird.

I froze the initial power value to 4.00 in UFO. If you die while shooting, you'll come up with only three options and one shot will be shooting out of nowhere from where you died. It will change according to focus/unfocus, too.

awesome
GODRAKE. YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO.

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #724 on: August 26, 2009, 03:12:40 AM »
Superhuman "Byakuren Hijiri"UFO S6 SC5 is statically easy. I honestly don't see anything wrong. Took a while to work everything out but eh.

UFO Syou Analysis (quick summary)
SC1: Static. Learn the spots. The showcase I did used impromptu dodging between the second and third "parts".
SC2: Reading walls. Watch for the lasers.
SC3: Spinning lasers! Get a general "feel" for the way the lasers work. Watch for clipdeath at higher difficulties. Moving in smaller circles means you move "faster" around the screen.
SC4: Reading bullets. It's fairly predictable. Bottom of the screen is "safe" for every even numbered wave of lasers.

Non-spells / APs are just laser parsing. The third one has lasers aimed at / around your position. Most of it can be done with only minute movements.

How are you able to accurately test the power of focused base shots?  If I wasn't clear (which is likely), I was hypothesizing that only the focused base shots get weaker, and the unfocused remain the same.
I used a "blind spot" for 2.00 Power, and saw nothing different. However, I wouldn't say that my method of measuring the difference to be accurate; it's only giving me an approximation. At this point, I'm not too concerned about whether the frog speeds are affecting damage, or whether the actual base shot is changing damage.

However, it would strike me as being odd that unfocusing and focusing would be changing the base damage if that were to be true. MoF (as an example) had altering values of base damage at different Power levels, but unfocusing and focusing had no effect on the base damage at all.
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #725 on: August 26, 2009, 03:26:03 AM »
Does it count as beating something without dying if you had the resources to easily do so but chose not to for the fun of it? Because I perfected the stage portion of UFO stage 2 lunatic, bombed only on Kogasa's first spell card, and reached her last with a bomb to spare, but chose not to use it and died. I very easily could have used the bomb and ended without dying, so I feel inclined to say I beat it no deaths.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

« Reply #726 on: August 26, 2009, 03:38:11 AM »
Something's just not right with Nue.

I got to her three times on ReimuA, and while I died on SC2 the first two times, I beat her on the third. How is that possible?

Krimmydoodle

• We must apply more SCIENCE!
« Reply #727 on: August 26, 2009, 03:50:28 AM »
UFO Extra, No Deaths/No Bombs

Honestly don't know why I did this.  It's probably because I've given up on learning Lunatic and wanted to feel like I did something before dropping the game entirely.  Or maybe I just wanted an excuse to keep playing that awesome Frogger card.  Or maybe it's the socks.
Whether you're on Easy or you're a Lunatic, be damn proud of your accomplishments.  Don't let anyone convince you otherwise, for it's when you lose faith in your own achievements that those victories become defeats.

nintendonut888

« Reply #728 on: August 26, 2009, 03:53:25 AM »
Wait, so people are seriously just giving up on UFO lunatic? That's not the spirit! I'm counting on you guys to NOT give up. D: D:
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #729 on: August 26, 2009, 04:15:58 AM »
Or maybe it's the socks.
This is probably the only reason (apart from music, which I like actually) why I'm still touching Extra.

Wait, so people are seriously just giving up on UFO lunatic? That's not the spirit! I'm counting on you guys to NOT give up. D: D:
I'm counting on you guys to NOT give up. D: D:
They just need inspiration  :moogy:

Also, delays in Perfect Stage 5 Lunatic. Post-Mid-Boss fairy spam is ridiculous. Even with SanaeB.
<>

Krimmydoodle

« Reply #730 on: August 26, 2009, 04:43:11 AM »
They just need inspiration  :moogy:

This.  I sat down and thought about it though, and, as bloody fucking clipdeath WHY CAN'T I CAPTURE ANYTHING IN THIS FUCKING GAME??? rageworthy it is, with the thought of going back to the same games that I've ground out endlessly for the last 9 months (even longer for you older veterans), I'd probably end up bored as hell going back to the same old routine stages.  Having something new to learn is a fresh start, a breath of fresh air, so maybe I'll give it another chance tomorrow.

But I won't be surprised if tomorrow, I regret saying that.
Whether you're on Easy or you're a Lunatic, be damn proud of your accomplishments.  Don't let anyone convince you otherwise, for it's when you lose faith in your own achievements that those victories become defeats.

Drake

« Reply #731 on: August 26, 2009, 06:28:02 AM »
That was stupid. I did a TAS of UFO Stage 6 Lunatic. Most of it was pretty terrible as it was my first time, but holy youkai jesus Legendary Flying Saucer is amazing. And of course IT DESYNCEDKBADKJBADADSDSF

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #732 on: August 26, 2009, 06:30:03 AM »
Or maybe it's the socks.

Those damn delicious socks.

As for UFO Lunatic, yeah, some of the difficulty has been tackled by various players, but my opinion of it still hasn't changed: I'm not having fun with this game. It's nice knowing stuff like Syou's 1st card being static, but even with this knowledge, I still can't bother myself into double clicking the UFO executable. UFO has it's moments, but overall, I am greatly underwhelmed.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #733 on: August 26, 2009, 06:43:22 AM »
Due to a recent post about hong meling, I decided to give lunatic EoSD a go for old times' sake. I was doing so-so..not good enough to 1cc it again, but I didn't expect to given how long it's been since I've played (I've totally forgotten the stages, so many deaths result in being in the wrong place before certain spawns, particularly for stage 4).

Anyway, I got to patchy. While I died on sylphae horn high level, I captured agni radience (I think that's what it was called), and forest blaze.. no suprise there. But I also captured emerald megalith. I R teh pawnz! It wasn't an anti-climatic cap either, I had to do some really close-call grazes. It felt like I earned it.

?lice Bl?ckb?rn

• The real Alice Blackbarn!
  • "OH DESIRE"
« Reply #734 on: August 26, 2009, 07:14:35 AM »
Honestly, I just don't find it fun is all. I just played a ton of IN Extra again, managed a pair of caps of Mokou's final noncard and then did a couple timeout runs for lulz, that ended...predictably. Despite this, I found the whole experience great fun.

This is in stark contrast to UFO Lunatic, my opinion of which is something along the lines of "not this shit again". Nice to know that Syou's first spellcard is static, that still means micromemorizing it, i.e. not my idea of fun at all. I've known that Kirby's Air Ride (stage 6 UFO spellcard #5) is static since my second playthrough of the stage, I still consider it pure bullshit simply because it's Hourai Jewel 2.0 - you might as well say that Hourai Jewel is statically easy and while you'd be right on the static part, I will quite vehemently disagree on the easy part.

So even though UFO does have its fun moments, they're scattered haphazardly in a sea of hate and rage and godawful danmaku design and basically one day I realized "wait all that playing UFO Lunatic is doing to me is making me wish to violently throw things across the room and curse under my breath", as opposed to normal Touhou, which does the latter, but notably, not the former. Cleansing of UFO from my harddrive with fire (after a backup of score.dat) ensued.
"Oh, great. Another game where I get screwed by Kilga." ~ Carthrat

nintendonut888

« Reply #735 on: August 26, 2009, 08:43:46 AM »
Heh...yet you guys think SA is like the best game in the series (until UFO, SA was my least favorite of the Windows series shooters). I say that with enough practice, UFO lunatic is entirely doable. After all, if you can reach 7 lives by Ichirin on normal, you can theoretically do the same on lunatic. My only problem is that I can't unlock anything on lunatic above stage 3 to GET more practice. :V

Also, you at least realize that Byakuren's fifth spell card has one side that kills you and one that lets you live, right? I realize she's MUCH faster on lunatic than hard, but watching that TAS I noticed this my first time.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #736 on: August 26, 2009, 08:57:00 AM »
Heh...yet you guys think SA is like the best game in the series

I know you weren't referring to me but I must profess my undying love for EoSD. Sure there are occasions where a normally simple spellcard screws you over due to just plain unfair randomness. But I really enjoy how easy the game is to memorize, whilst remaining challenging overall. I honestly think I would have 1cc'd pcb lunatic long ago if I just didn't find the stages so damn frusterating because I forgot that shoot too many bullets to dodge safely fairy #53 spawns right THERE and I wasn't in position to nail her ahead of time, thereby making me waste a bomb or something for the 10th time this run.

Plus remila's Scarlet gensokyo is probably the hardest end card in the serieis imo. It might not be the hardest to capture (though it might be), but it is the most resistant to bombs, in addition dying to it doens't really give you an IWIN on your next life, other final spellcards kinda do that. Remila just doesn't freakin DIE. Very climatic imo.

nintendonut888

« Reply #737 on: August 26, 2009, 09:02:24 AM »
Scarlet Gensokyo is the most resistant to bombs until you discover that you can knock out an entire wave by standing on Remilia before your bomb invincibility wears off. :V This knowledge single handedly led to my first 1cc of its lunatic.

Personally, I don't have a favorite Touhou. I like to think of them all as one big game, with parts that are slightly less awesome (UFO being the scrappy world next to SoEW, which the developers had to do a public apology for). If I had to choose one I enjoy playing the most in full runs though, it'd be LLS believe it or not. Even though it's one of the easiest lunatics to 1cc, it gives some genuine challenges yet remains fun with its atmospheric music and easy yet fun levels. Actually, if LLS didn't give you TEN LIVES even on default settings, it'd be one of the hardest Touhous to 1cc.

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #738 on: August 26, 2009, 12:03:31 PM »
you might as well say that Hourai Jewel is statically easy and while you'd be right on the static part, I will quite vehemently disagree on the easy part.
Isn't a card with any homing elements not static by definition?

Or maybe I just wanted an excuse to keep playing that awesome Frogger card.
?

Krimmydoodle

« Reply #739 on: August 26, 2009, 12:10:59 PM »
you might as well say that Hourai Jewel is statically easy and while you'd be right on the static part, I will quite vehemently disagree on the easy part.
Isn't a card with any homing elements not static by definition?

True, it wouldn't technically be static, but if you take a card that is either purely homing, or static with homing elements, and you move in a static way in every run, then the card essentially becomes "static" in a manner of speaking.  The point he's making is that, you can memorize a path of exact movements through Hourai Jewel that'll get you through it every time.  It doesn't make it easy.

Or maybe I just wanted an excuse to keep playing that awesome Frogger card.
?

Nue's survival card.

Sodium

• pew pew lasers
« Reply #740 on: August 26, 2009, 12:38:14 PM »
Have the Japanese Players 1cc'd UFO Lunatic legitimately yet?

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #741 on: August 26, 2009, 01:59:07 PM »
Have the Japanese Players 1cc'd UFO Lunatic legitimately yet?
Legitimately, there's a few. See attachment.

EDIT: ...Hell, looking at a certain one, I'm quite sure I can 1cc this like, right now. But hey, sleep first. And tomorrow's a busy day~
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 02:05:07 PM by BaitySM »
<>

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #742 on: August 26, 2009, 03:34:54 PM »
...Wow. Okay, wow. That went so much better than my last attempt it's not even funny.

I just tried Phantasm no focus with Reimu A again; my last attempt failed miserably, embarassing deaths at Butterfly in the Zen Temple, getting a game over on Yukari's 7th non-card, etc. This time, I completed the stage dying only three times during the whole thing - once on Mesh of Light and Darkness, and twice on BoLaD (the reason for that is somewhat funny, actually; it took me so long to beat BoLaD with an unfocused Reimu A that I actually reached the time out phase without ever letting go of the shoot button).

Obviously I used a load of bombs/borders, but to be honest not as many as I would have expected I'd need; I was anticipating a skin-of-my-teeth clear like with EoSD/IN Extra. I also capped Shikigami Ran and Danmaku Bounded Field, which I'm very pleased with. :V

Replay: http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=4543

So, that makes 5 Extra stages no focus cleared (lol, SoEW). I have a feeling that Suwako, Koishi and Nue's stages will be much more difficult. @_@
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 03:26:11 AM by Sapz »
Let's fight.

Rikter

• VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
  • AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
« Reply #743 on: August 26, 2009, 04:49:40 PM »
Well I beat UFO Extra I need to get back and do EoSD now.

Bananamatic

« Reply #744 on: August 26, 2009, 06:26:48 PM »
HELL YEAH, CAPTURED MAZE OF LOVE :V
And then died with 3 bombs on Catadioptric.

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #745 on: August 26, 2009, 06:45:04 PM »
HELL YEAH, CAPTURED MAZE OF LOVE :V
And then died with 3 bombs on Catadioptric.

Congrats! Maze of Love took me months to crack, haha. :D
Let's fight.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #746 on: August 26, 2009, 07:05:21 PM »
Or maybe it's the socks.
Oh man, the comparisons just keep coming, don't they?  Flansocks wants a word with you...

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Hawk

• Babababa~
« Reply #747 on: August 26, 2009, 07:20:39 PM »
Beat UFO Extra with SanaeB again, but this time, I actually captured her final card.  I know people have been saying it's really easy for a final card, and I agree until the final phase, which is, to me, complete luck-garbage.

Anyone else find it odd that, in the game that wants to be much more random than its predecessors, its timeout is so statically easy?  There is some randomness to it, but not much.  I think it's the easiest of all the Extra timeouts.

nintendonut888

« Reply #748 on: August 26, 2009, 07:28:09 PM »
Nah, And Then Will There Be None is definitely the easiest. Even without a hitbox it can't touch me, and is the only one I can capture consistently.

And Nue's final spell card IS easy. I captured it the first time I ever saw it. I'm good at pure bullet reading cards and suck at cards that require you to follow a specific process or die (DIE RED UFO CARD DIE).

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #749 on: August 26, 2009, 08:02:47 PM »
Nah, And Then Will There Be None is definitely the easiest. Even without a hitbox it can't touch me, and is the only one I can capture consistently.

Ehh, I've always found Possessed By Phoenix to be the easiest. ATWTBN has some pretty fast, tight dodges involved; Possessed is pretty much just:
1. Move in a big circle while doing light bullet dodging.
2. Move slowly in a circle.
3. Move in a big circle.
4. Move in a big circle while doing light bullet dodging. :V
Let's fight.