~Hakurei Shrine~ > Tech Support

Touhou on Linux and MacOS X, using Wine or Virtualization

<< < (2/25) > >>

Barrakketh:
DirectX support can be added more easily with winetricks.  Once you have it saved and marked as executable (note that you'll need the cabextract program available):

--- Code: ---./winetricks d3dx9
--- End code ---

It actually makes it easier to install a lot of things you might need for Wine.  If you find yourself running Japanese applications via the command line often it might not be a bad idea to add an alias to your .bashrc or .bash_profile:

--- Code: ---alias jwine='LANG=ja_JP.UTF-8 wine'
--- End code ---

Last I checked the Touhou games won't run properly full-screen (even if you confine it to a window by telling Wine to use a virtual desktop), so if you want to play Touhou and have it "bigger" you can change the resolution from a script with xrandr:

--- Code: ---xrandr -s 1024x768
--- End code ---

Don't forget to change it back to your native resolution when the game closes.  Note that depending on your monitor you may get some display lag since it might scale the input (might very very little unless it also post-processes the image), and it would be a good idea to pick a resolution that has the same aspect ratio at your monitor's native resolution to avoid stretching.  If you want to see the resolutions your monitor says it supports:

--- Code: ---xrandr -q
--- End code ---

On launching Touhou properly - the reason why you need to change to the Touhou game's directory is twofold.  One, if you don't you'll have no music.  Secondly, it'll place the config file and score.dat inside whatever your current directory is.  If you experience those systems you probably forgot to do that.

Regarding locale - you might not have the needed locale (ja_JP.UTF-8) available.  On Arch Linux you can edit /etc/locale.gen and either uncomment the ja_JP.UTF-8 entry or add it to that file.  After doing so run:

--- Code: ---sudo locale-gen
--- End code ---

Gentoo uses the same method as Arch, Ubuntu uses (or used as of the last time I had to do this on Ubuntu) a different method that I can't recall, but the Debian wiki says that you can create the /etc/locale.gen file if it doesn't exist and what I've written above for Arch will also apply.

Tengukami:

--- Quote from: Barrakketh on April 27, 2010, 05:41:15 PM ---Last I checked the Touhou games won't run properly full-screen

--- End quote ---

My experience with Touhou fullscreen on Linux has been:

EoSD and PCB: Runs a million FPS for a few seconds, crashes. Vsync does not rectify this.
UFO: Runs 72 FPS.
SA: Can run fullscreen in Linux if you open custom_e.exe and "Fast" under "Input latency".

All others, including Double Spoiler, seem to run just fine for me in fullscreen.

null1024:
Only tested PCB so far, with nothing but a vanilla Wine 1.1.43 on Ubuntu 10.04 Alpha 2.

Just double clicked th07e.exe in Nautilus, and away I went.
Runs flawlessly for me [fullscreen even, 60fps], with only the black boxes around text problem. Also, you have to change the setting in custom.exe related to DirectInput [uncheck it], or else control will lock up, and you won't be able to navigate the menus [and selection keeps going down in circles].

Oh, and Compiz still draws the GNOME bars over the top and bottom still, so I had to switch back to Metacity before playing. Not a real problem [you should do it anyway, it takes resources away from your game!], but a bit annoying.

Momiji:

--- Quote from: null1024 on April 28, 2010, 09:25:30 PM ---Just double clicked th07e.exe in Nautilus, and away I went.
--- End quote ---

I noticed that the English patches do tend to make things work that normally don't, especially on a 64-bit Linux install.  Hey, if you're trying out other games, post your results if you can.  It'd be nice to build a nice knowledge base here.  ^.^

Barrakketh:

--- Quote from: Momiji on April 29, 2010, 01:16:15 AM ---I noticed that the English patches do tend to make things work that normally don't, especially on a 64-bit Linux install.  Hey, if you're trying out other games, post your results if you can.  It'd be nice to build a nice knowledge base here.  ^.^

--- End quote ---
FWIW UFO launches by clicking on it from Dolphin.  So does launching it via the vpatch.

Tested EoSD on Arch Linux (x86_64) with the Catalyst drivers (10.4), Xorg 1.7, and forced Vsync - it'll actually run full-screen at 60 FPS with and without the vpatch (notable in that FPS isn't in the hundreds or thousands).

EDIT: Forgot Wine ver, 1.1.43.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version