~Hakurei Shrine~ > Tech Support
Neko Project II fmgen and PC-98 Touhou (guide now included)
<< < (2/12) > >>
Momiji:
NP21 interprets the keyhit as 1 regardless if Numlock is on or off.  Argh.  I guess I need to try this with a real keyboard.
Momiji:
I did a bunch of load testing of NP21 during NEC.  Worked pretty darn well, didn't get any of the chugging you'd see with T98Next.  And compared to Anex86 the sound was pretty much complete, and the graphics were nice and smooth.  It helps that you can really crank up the CPU speed, plus I have a feeling the older emulators only support a 2.5MHz GDC (NP21 will do 2.5MHz and 5MHz).  We did notice that, after a long period of playing any given game, the emulated machine would lock up but continue to play whatever music was loaded into the sound driver (albeit faster than normal).  Hopefully that gets fixed, because I'm thinking this is probably my PC98 emulator of choice now.

[Edit]  I'm going to unlock/sticky this for the time being, while I gather more data for a new PC98 emulator howto thread.  Please test this out and post your results!
fsvgm777:
I did some testing with the newest Neko Project II fmgen (which can be found here) some days ago. It has some very interesting features, most notably that you can use a different FM engine (for instance MAME's core). However, the rhythm samples (2608_xxx.wav) are still required. Said MAME core can be found in the same link mentioned above, along with the YM2612 core from the Genesis Plus GX. In order to use a different core, you have to add the line "FMGenDll=<name_of_fm_core>.dll" (where <name_of_fm_core> is the name of the core you want to use, for instance mamefm) in np21nt.ini.

Now for the actual testing part:
All PC-98 Touhou games work very well for me, aside from a bit of slowdown during the fight against Alice in MS (probably because I set the multiplier to 32) and LLS using 25% of my CPU (I have a Core i5) and the emulator running slow. Dunno if that's related to the MS-DOS-like boot-up I see when booting up LLS, as it doesn't use much CPU when playing the other games. Lastly, I tested if the MIDI in SoEW works as opposed to T98-Next, and it does work (it uses Microsoft's GS wavetable synth for me).

In conclusion:
With some tweaks, I'm very pleased with Neko Project 21. It's very likely going to be my PC-98 emulator of choice for some time.
Agent of the BSoD:
I just started messing with it about half an hour ago (latest), and the only thing I notice is a little lag from it, which I was able to fix in the config by giving it more power. The font is a little wacky if you ask me (when I tested HRtP) and the percussion in HRtP is missing entirely, as opposed to T98-Next, so it sounds more like Anex86 all over again. I even used the file for Next they put up for NP2's music core into Next and it doesn't have percussion either, though I don't know why I thought it would TBH. The music is pretty good, but I prefer the way Next handles it.

Let's hope the rest of the development goes really well. (also, that one version of Next that Momiji linked me some time way back, I still never got it to run smooth. It lags horribly. Luckily, it looks like NP2 is going to replace it anyway)
Momiji:
You may want to put all the YM2608 rhythm WAVs into the emulator folder.  Then copy over the FONT.ROM from T98Next and use it (Emulate > Font).  Also, for sound emulation, make sure you're using a Speakboard (Device > Sound > Speak board).  Then you can increase the sound quality (Emulate > Configure > Sound section).  First set the sampling rate to either 55khz (or 88khz if your system will handle it), then enable QFM.  I also turned down the sound buffer to ~40ms.  On top of all that, I have the CPU set to ~2.5MHz x32 (~79MHz).  The faster it is, the smoother the game may be.
Navigation
Message Index
Next page
Previous page

Go to full version