~Bunbunmaru News~ > Ask a *Blank* Archive
Ask a Librarian 24- Chaore
<< < (12/12)
Alfred F. Jones:
Favourite book to read and re-read when you've got nothing else to do?

Favourite song to read that book to?

Think these'll be my last questions to ask you before this thread ends. Thanks for answering them all~
Hello Purvis:
Rate Shiki and Emiya. (And Ryougi, if you think you have enough datums there)
Mimachiro:
If you had to be trapped in a blizzard with any of the staffers, who would you prefer to be trapped with?

Have you ever been in a life threatening situation before?

You are Mima's next apprentice; what do you do?
Chaore:

--- Quote from: Sakura Kyouko on August 04, 2011, 06:26:57 AM ---Favourite book to read and re-read when you've got nothing else to do?

Favourite song to read that book to?

--- End quote ---

Any book in the Hitchiker's Guide series. They're not my all time favorites, but Douglas Adam has a strange freshness to his writing that even when you've read the book a million times, I still find a new thing or two.

Embarrassingly, It took me a few years to finally get the infamous 'water' joke.

As for song- I prefer to read in silence, actually! Noise, even good noise, can be a bit distracting to read to.

--- Quote from: Killer Purvis on August 04, 2011, 08:16:31 AM ---Rate Shiki and Emiya. (And Ryougi, if you think you have enough datums there)

--- End quote ---

A fitting final challenge, I didn't get to marathoning KnK like I said I was, so rightly I'll skip rating Ryougi.

Shiki Tohno-

I like Shiki. He's literally what I would call a good guy, even if he does a ton of shit that normally I'd hate him for. He's not some mystical flawless super good being, he's actually rather screwed up and kind of a jerk at times. At the same time, you get the feeling he's not really a bad guy and probably end up not driving him into a shark's mouth all the time. It helps he's a pretty likable dude just by virtue of being pretty fun to read.

Shiki is also a complete badass once you get him going and holy hell do I love any scene that involves Shiki stabbing someone. Hell. Everything in Arcueid route pretty much solidly confirms that Shiki is a complete badass, and it only continues from there on. This is ofcourse promptly forgotten in favor of Shiki being the everyday dude (Which he is really kinda not) by the masses.

I'm looking at you BMW.

Shiki also has a great background past, and it really helps that it's properly spread out over the course of all 5 routes. I think every route at least adds something new to the mix. Everything about him that's traced back has a good and interesting reason why he's like who he is, and it makes him a really interesting character. Shiki is a character that has a lot of roots in his past as much of Tsukihime is about the past.

I give him a 9/10 mushrooms.

Emiya Shirou-

Shirou is the complete opposite of Shiki in that he literally bludgeons you over the head with how nice of a guy he is. Literally you don't get him killing people or acting like a jerk intentionally. The best part about this though is it -kinda works-. He does his bludgeoning in small shorts and one very big way which is plot important, so while he's beating you over the head with it, you're still liking him because he is a good guy. However, with niceness to match, he of course takes the typical flaw for this. Shirou is brain dead retarded, socially and mentally. It really kind of shows and can sometimes interfere with you adhering to the character.

Shirou as a main character, gets his highlights but... He's going to spend a lot of the novel just getting killed. There is literally a prize for getting him killed all 50 times in the game. Given, this is because unlike Shiki he isn't really supposed to be some super-strong badass. Shirou is literally kind of a joke as a magus and a fighter, and... It's not really a problem because it's what's intentioned. He's kind of useless, but you don't really hate him for it. It also makes it all the sweeter when he finally gets rolling and starts kicking some serious ass.

Shirou as a character is more based on the 'future' than the past- but this is mostly because of a choice presented by something he decided in the past. Shirou's overall theme is basically being a 'Hero' or not. Whether or not it's good to do good to others at the expense of yourself. This is liberally explored in all three paths and is basically how you remember 'This is a game about Shirou', and it's pretty much my favorite part of Shirou as a character, even if personally I don't entirely agree with the answers presented. It's the bulk of his characterization really, and it's engaging and questioning enough that you can pretty much excuse how bland Shirou's past kind of actually is.

I give him a 7/10 mushrooms.

I do apologize if this kinda doesn't explain my opinions well enough, just kinda woke up and typed this for...2 hours? Maybe it's a good thing this thread is at it's end.

--- Quote from: Genichiro on August 04, 2011, 10:36:14 AM ---If you had to be trapped in a blizzard with any of the staffers, who would you prefer to be trapped with?

--- End quote ---

Tough choice. I'd probably say it's kinda a tie between Sakana and Matsuri. Sakana would make good emergency rations, and Matsuri could be used as a fuwa fuwa blanket.

In seriousness though, probably Sakana. I get along with Sakana better than all the other staffers, and I get the feeling we'd probably be able to wait out the blizzard just talking and having fun.

--- Quote from: Genichiro on August 04, 2011, 10:36:14 AM ---Have you ever been in a life threatening situation before?

--- End quote ---

I've derped up and nearly missed getting pretty bad injuries, say, almost running to get hit by a car, plenty before, but I don't think I've actually literally been in a situation where my life is really in danger. I'm kinda lucky in that regard.

--- Quote from: Genichiro on August 04, 2011, 10:36:14 AM ---You are Mima's next apprentice; what do you do?

--- End quote ---

Studiously learn from her and then backstab her the moment she's no longer of use. I'm not gonna be her minion any longer than I have to be.

Besides. She's a ghost. it can't be that hard to banish her or something.

---

And that would be my thread down. It was a good deal of fun answering everyone's questions, but the week is up and it's time for me to make way for the next staffer.
Navigation
Message Index
Previous page

Go to full version