Author Topic: Touhou soccer games english patch?  (Read 140870 times)

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
Re: Touhou soccer games english patch?
« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2009, 01:42:19 PM »
Well, the one guy who was transcribing scripts before on the Wiki bailed or gave up or something, so just start wherever you want. Maybe ask on the imageboard or Gensokyo.org for a hacker if you really think that will help.

Rikter

• VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
  • AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
« Reply #61 on: September 14, 2009, 11:16:49 PM »
I decided to look into this game and I must say it looks completly and utterly ridiculous...

I also can't wait for the translation patch.

« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2009, 12:25:34 AM »
Quote from: Deranged
フェイント (command) - "Feint", down button command for when a player encounters the opponent GK. The player fakes a shot... and I honestly don't know what happens after because I've never seen it succeed, but I assume he gets an empty net to shoot at after faking the shot. Feint is probably a good enough word for this.

Huh, I've never noticed such command existed in the game until I read your post. Anyway, according to Touhou Soccer 2 English Manual on the-site-which-name-can't-be-posted it's a ground version of "Through" command. I've tried it several times and all I see is that it's making the opponent's GK come out for the ball like when you try to dribble or shoot, except if the ball flies away, the GK, apart from usual 'away from goal' status, can have 'lying on the ground' (or whatever it translates to) or 'lost balance' instead meaning she stays on the goal line, but it's easier to score against her (like when you use "Through"). According to the aforementioned Manual it's supposed to be easy to execute, but I can't say if it's true from my own experience. By the way, special "Through" moves like Rumia's aren't usable as "Feint".

N-Forza

« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2009, 03:09:21 AM »
I would like to see this manual. PM me a link if you please.

Gpop

« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2009, 03:16:11 AM »
Well thing is that I never played the game so I'm just going with what I know about soccer in general.

« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2009, 08:39:26 AM »

Huh, I've never noticed such command existed in the game until I read your post. Anyway, according to Touhou Soccer 2 English Manual on the-site-which-name-can't-be-posted it's a ground version of "Through" command. I've tried it several times and all I see is that it's making the opponent's GK come out for the ball like when you try to dribble or shoot, except if the ball flies away, the GK, apart from usual 'away from goal' status, can have 'lying on the ground' (or whatever it translates to) or 'lost balance' instead meaning she stays on the goal line, but it's easier to score against her (like when you use "Through"). According to the aforementioned Manual it's supposed to be easy to execute, but I can't say if it's true from my own experience. By the way, special "Through" moves like Rumia's aren't usable as "Feint".

I... completely forgot the manual existed, lol. Some copypasta:

フェイント(シュートを撃つふりをします。ボールはこぼれますがキーパーのバランスを崩します)
Feint: Fakes a shot. The ball will be pushed away, but the keeper will lose his balance.

So it seems like having the ball fly away is actually considered a successful feint, which would explain a lot. I guess failure would be the keeper just catching the ball instead of pushing it away.

I would like to see this manual. PM me a link if you please.

I don't think it's illegal to post links to the manual, is it? >_> If it is I'll remove it right after. I only have the Japanese version that came with the game though.
http://www.mediafire.com/?r3dhzmqw3wo

N-Forza

« Reply #66 on: September 15, 2009, 09:40:00 AM »
Well, I wanted to see the English version the other guy mentioned just to see how they translated stuff.

« Reply #67 on: September 15, 2009, 04:26:48 PM »
Touhou Soccer 2 English Manual which I mentioned earlier isn't a direct translation of the actual game manual. It's more of a walkthrough with all the controls, formations, tactics etc. explained.

N-Forza, PM sent.

Rikter

• VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
  • AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2009, 01:20:17 AM »
Touhou Soccer 2 English Manual which I mentioned earlier isn't a direct translation of the actual game manual. It's more of a walkthrough with all the controls, formations, tactics etc. explained.

N-Forza, PM sent.

Uhh Mind PM-ing me that as well? I can't figure out what anything in the game even does except by trial and error.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 01:49:22 AM by Rikter »

N-Forza

« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2009, 11:46:14 AM »
Still no script updates, but I have the stats and skills up for the Imperishable Night cast now.

Herasy

« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2009, 10:21:42 PM »
Still no script updates, but I have the stats and skills up for the Imperishable Night cast now.
Personally I'm happy with just an interface and moveset translation. That's enough for me to go play the game, the script seems like too much work to translate all perfectly. (Pretty sure there's more text in this TH soccer games than any of the fighters)

JeedUnit

« Reply #71 on: October 21, 2009, 01:45:50 AM »
I'm about halfway done with the Main Scenario, but the script is missing for the other half anyway. Can someone transcribe the rest of the text please?
Myeah, actually, I don't know who got lazy enough to only type up to match 08 but there is actually 21 matches in the main campain, so 17 matches are still missing. But there is hope, someone has recently translated every single in-game and recruitment texts of every characters (http://touhou.wikia.com/wiki/Touhou_Soccer_Moushuuden:_Character_Dialogue). So let's hope this guy will eventually translate the rest.

« Reply #72 on: October 21, 2009, 06:09:01 AM »
N-Forza, if you ever feel like translating some character stats again, please also include comments from this wiki:http://www25.atwiki.jp/thsmwiki/pages/1.html. If I remember correctly from my attempts at understanding it using online translators, they contain very useful informations about characters' strengths and weaknesses, how to use them etc.

N-Forza

« Reply #73 on: October 21, 2009, 08:46:51 AM »
Jeed: That's not recent, that was a while back, and it was available on the link Scooter Fox posted.

Scooter: I'm thinking about doing that eventually, but I want to get the basic stats up first.

N-Forza

« Reply #74 on: November 18, 2009, 06:28:15 AM »
Alright, stats, descriptions, and special move lists for every character are up.

Now can I please have some more scripts?

Xcross

« Reply #75 on: November 19, 2009, 09:15:17 AM »
This post is now on my favorites! I wish I knew how to get the scripts for it though...

N-Forza

« Reply #76 on: November 25, 2009, 10:16:15 AM »
Asking again for someone to make a thread on the Touhou imageboard asking for help, seeing as how a bunch of other translation projects have the same thing going on there.

I'd do it myself, but yeah, Japanese IPs are still blocked or something.

« Reply #77 on: November 27, 2009, 06:18:51 AM »
A helpful nameless fairy posted the extracted .csvs from the game at pooshlmer. He uploaded it to the board though, so I've put it on mediafire for now: http://www.mediafire.com/?jdzkqnkjog1

The story scripts are in a... somewhat messy order, but I don't think it can be helped since that's how it's stored in the game. Most of the scripts seem to say which "match" it's before or after as it's title though, so it may not be as bad as it looks. I don't know whether there's a way to repack these .csvs back into the game easily, but this should be sufficient for transcribing onto the wiki at least.

I'll probably finish with Touhou Labyrinth tonight (save a painful testing phase...) so I'll like to get started on putting this up on the wiki (and Meiiden too); NForza, which parts would you like to start work on? I suppose I'll either work on the main scenario if you want to do the subscenarios, or vice versa.

Of course, getting a hacker to figure out how to put translated files back into the game would be nice as well, but baby steps I suppose.

N-Forza

« Reply #78 on: November 27, 2009, 07:37:00 AM »
From what I understand, there's already people interested in doing the programming part, but of course they need something to put in there.

Thanks though. I don't really care what I work on, as long as there's something to do.

« Reply #79 on: November 27, 2009, 02:53:19 PM »
I'll work on the subscenarios then, since I already have some parts of it done locally.

« Reply #80 on: December 17, 2009, 03:16:39 PM »
Bumping this thread up since progress has been made on the patch. A menu patch is currently available here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?dmq2gjemd4c

Screenshots for the lazy:

The menu patch basically translates everything in the game except story dialogue and the commentary when you don't press anything before the match begins. A few other fragments here and there may also be untranslated: the "title" for each match and the save files come to mind. Parts of the story dialogue will be in english due to hijinks with an automated replacer, but they have not be formatted yet, so it's probably best to pay those no heed for now.

A fair amount of the translations were taken from the wiki. I've done some editing to some parts in which I felt the translation was slightly off, or I had to summarize/shorten in order to get it to fit. Some attack names in particular suffer heavily from this.

I'm planning on continuing with the story dialogue translations now the menus are more or less done, but right now I still need help with a few things:

1. Playtesting. My game hasn't been played enough to unlock most of the stuff inside, so I've not been able to check a fair bit of the text. If possible, I'd like people to try this menu patch out and inform me of any bugs, occasions where text flows out of the screen/textbox(screenshots please) and such. I'm especially wary of overflowing text in the match commentary, item descriptions and shot/pass/tackle/etc quotes since I was doing most of them relatively blind, and since the game doesn't use a fixed-width font, I can't be sure just how much space I had to work with for some of them.

2. Video editors. There's 2~4 shot videos with dialogue within them that I'd like to have edited with the english equivalents, if at all possible. They're in .mpg format and all ~10-20s long if it matters.

Please reply to the thread if you can help with the latter, found things related to the former, or have problems patching the game (and read the readme included).

NForza: Are you still able to do translations for the main scenario using the .csv files? I've been uploading some of my completed work on the wiki, but to be honest, I hate dealing with wikitables, so I've been putting it off now that I've been able to work on a patch directly. If you could translate direct off the .csv files I posted earlier, that would be great; if not, I'll try to figure something out (if you're still interested that is).

N-Forza

« Reply #81 on: December 18, 2009, 12:38:46 AM »
Wow, that looks pretty good so far.

I am still very interested in helping but I have no idea what a .csv file is. If you have some way to give me the Japanese text either through the wiki or a text file, I'll be able to handle the translation and maybe the formatting too.

« Reply #82 on: December 18, 2009, 03:31:26 AM »
Wow, that looks pretty good so far.

I am still very interested in helping but I have no idea what a .csv file is. If you have some way to give me the Japanese text either through the wiki or a text file, I'll be able to handle the translation and maybe the formatting too.

.csv stands for "comma-separated values". They are readable by any standard text editor (notepad run in Japanese language settings or AppLocale works fine), so you can use those as "text files" to edit fairly easily.

Here's an example of a set of strings that needs replacing, in Story01.csv line 5-11:
,1001,,305,1,1,なし,0,0,0,,,監督,,マネージャーはメリー君にやってもらう。,
,1002,,303,2,1,なし,0,0,0,,,メリー,,仕事はスコアメモ取ることくらいだけど、よろ\nしくお願いします。,
,1003,,305,0,1,なし,0,0,0,,,監督,,第一試合の相手は名無しの妖怪だけで編成され\nたチームだ。,
,1004,,305,0,1,なし,0,0,0,,,監督,,能力的には対した事ないが、油断するな。\nまずはパスワークを覚えて、試合の流れを掴む\nんだ。,
,1005,,01,0,1,なし,0,0,0,,,霊夢,,私たちのチームも名無し妖怪ばかりのチーム\nだけどね。,
,1006,,06,0,1,なし,0,0,0,,,中国,,私もいますからね~~~~,
,1007,,01,0,1,なし,0,0,0,,,霊夢,,あんたは\n「いてもいなくても差し支えないその他妖怪」\nでしょ。,
This is the first match briefing, of course. You can pretty much ignore everything except the third last value (the name displayed) and the last value (the dialogue displayed), and just replace them with your translations.

If you want to do the formatting as well, you can use \ns to signify a line break; use them at roughly every 40-45 characters (no exact amount since the game doesn't use a fixed-width font), and you have 4 lines x 40-45 characters to work with per string. If not, I'll handle them when I do editing.

As for which files to edit... the main scenario is basically split into 4 chapters of 5 matches each, with an EX match at the end. Story40-43.csv and 50-53.csv seem to be the story dialogue before each match (40/50 being for chapter 1's five matches, 41/51 being for chapter 2's five matches, etc). Story01.csv and Story61-63.csv carry the match briefings for each chapter. Story02-31.csv seem to cover any events that happen within the match, and events that happen directly after, as well as the opening and ending to each chapter.

So if you want to do the translation for say Match 7(Chapter 2 match 2), you'll start with the relevant strings in 41.csv and 51.csv, the briefing in 61.csv, then the events within and directly after the match in 12.csv. There may be some discrepancies; for example, the events right after Match 6 is actually in 41.csv instead of 11.csv. Each block of strings in the files are preceded by a comment stating when it is triggered though, so it shouldn't be -too- hard to figure out.

Story 100+.csv are all subscenario/travel mode dialogue so I'll handle those for now.

A couple of other things:
-You can ignore Chapter 1 Match 1-4 for now, my automated replacer hijinks has managed to fill most of those already using the wiki translations.
-Try not to use tildes, they look horrible in the font the game uses.
-Don't touch the first three lines of any of the files, or anything that starts with a ◆.
-If you need to use a comma in your translation, then enclose the entire translated string with double quotation marks. Similarly, if you need to use quotation marks in your translation, use the single ones. If you don't do this, it'll mess up the format of the files. For example:
,1007,,01,0,1,なし,0,0,0,,,霊夢,,あんたは\n「いてもいなくても差し支えないその他妖怪」\nでしょ。,
becomes
1007,,01,0,1,なし,0,0,0,,,Reimu,,"You're a 'Present yet absent\nout-of-the-way, etc. youkai', right?",

If you still need help with this, let me know.

« Reply #83 on: December 18, 2009, 03:45:41 AM »
MAJOR BUG

- Mima's Twilight Spark becomes unusable. On character's screen its guts cost is listed as 0 and the shot is inaccesible during the match (i.e. Mima has only a normal ground shot, you can't even choose Twilight Spark). My game version is probably 2-18-0 (I'm not sure, sorry).

MAJOR TEXT ISSUES

- Kana's description on the characters screen includes something that looks like a dialogue line at the end. This probably leads to:
- Kana doesn't say a word when she faces another character during the match.
- Flandre doesn't say anything when she enters her Border of Death.
- Yukari's (outfielder) line goes way out of the screen when she uses her special clear.
- Goalkeepers' special save command (for GKs like Letty, Lily White/Black, Yukari etc.) isn't translated.
- Rikako's description on the shop screen probably lacks a line break between second and third line, so the text goes way out of the window. The same text on the character's stats screen is, if I remember correctly, fine.

MINOR TEXT ISSUES

- Shrine Maiden's Sandals item doesn't fit into the item name window on the character's stats screen. It's also longer than the highlight on the item list.
- Heavy Defense Spikes item doesn't fit into the item name window on the character's stats screen.
- Excalibur item has a typo in its description, I believe it should be "Its", not "It's". ("(...) A famous sword said to be the strongest around. It's scabbard is important too. (...)")
- Magic Hands item has a double space instead of a single one between "people" and "use". ("(...) Don't worry about the rules, people  use katanas out there after all.")
- Yuki's description doesn't have a space after a comma. ("(...) She looks childish,but has real ability. (...)")
- The description of Lily's Scenario goes out of the window. One exclamation mark less and it'll fit.
- The first line of Marisa's Scenario's description goes barely out of the window.
- The first line of commentary on Yumemi's Strawberry Dancer is too long.
- Ran's shout when she uses her special dribble is a bit too long.

I didn't mention several instances where it's all readable, but doesn't look as good as it could, like when a text reaches exactly the end of the window or line breaks could be inserted in better places. I'm also not a native English speaker, so don't count on me to spot all typos. ;)

If you want screens for any of the mentioned problems, just let me know, I don't want to upload them right now because it's really, really late at my place. ;)

N-Forza

« Reply #84 on: December 18, 2009, 04:37:12 AM »
Thanks for the tips, but I meant formatting on the wiki. I was going to put my translations there, and then you could work them into the game.

I guess I'll start working on them soonish, once I have some free time then.

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
« Reply #85 on: December 18, 2009, 02:44:26 PM »
Just wanted to thank you guys very much for your work! Trying out the Menu Patch right now and it looks really good. I'm looking forward to the full translation. Keep it up.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 03:14:02 PM by Sakana »

« Reply #86 on: December 18, 2009, 04:29:21 PM »
whole buncha bug reports

Thanks a bunch. Most of these ended up being fairly idiotic misplaced commas/quotation marks, but they should all be fixed now (hopefully; I still can't test most of them). I'll hold off for awhile longer before posting an update though; I'm sure there's other errors as well.

A few things I forgot to note in the first post:

1. I have no idea what to do with the team name entry screen for Travel Mode. It seems like it'll take more hacking than simple replacing of the .csv files to change it to a proper english-entry screen. There is already a way to enter english alphabets, but thanks to the way it's spaced, it looks absolutely horrible when compared to the other club/team names.

2. Every "encounter" quote that involves a the opponent character's name does not have any punctuation at the end of the quote. This makes sense in Japanese, but looks kinda ugly in English. There doesn't seem to be any way to force punctuation after the name either; I may end up completely removing the references to the opponent character's name instead and rewrite the quotes to reflect that.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 04:38:04 PM by Deranged »

« Reply #87 on: December 19, 2009, 01:17:58 AM »
OK, next batch. :]

MAJOR TEXT ISSUES
- When Rikako uses her special clear, commentator says empty lines. [screen]
- Goalkeepers' 1v1 options (whether to expect a dribble or a shot, seen when enemy has the ball) are not translated. [screen #1] [screen #2]
- Messed up text in the commentary on Eirin's & Reisen's Lunarian Combination. [screen]
- Messed up text in the commentary on Hakurei Miko's and PC-98 Marisa's special one-two pass. [screen]
- I think she should be saying something more here: [screen]
- Part of the text missing in the commentary on Reimu's and Marisa's Touhou Combination [screen]
- Two dialogue lines (2nd and 3rd) seem to be merged into one during Eirin's and Sakuya's Game of Rising. [screen]

MINOR TEXT ISSUES
- Mima's first line when she enters Border of Death is too long. [screen]
- Lack of space before player's name when a goal is scored against you. [screen]
- Touhou Combination's name is a bit too long to fit in a technique choice screen during the match. [screen]
- Shikieiki's (Xanadu's) first line when she enters Border of Death is barely too long. [screen]
- When you have to choose which player you want to pass to, the text is too long: [screen]
- I don't know if it's a bug/typo, but the opposing team's name certainly wasn't 'Team Hakurei'. [screen]

And, as a bonus, a few things I omitted yesterday:
[screen #1] - one thing isn't translated
[screen #2] [screen #3] - lines on the bottom could be shorter
[screen #4] - red text barely fits

More will be coming in the next days if I have some free time - those damn matches take too long. ;)

« Reply #88 on: December 19, 2009, 02:20:21 PM »
Thanks again. Fixed most of them, although I have a few comments:

- When Rikako uses her special clear, commentator says empty lines.

This one is actually a bug present in the Japanese version. I've managed to put in some generic commentator lines for it though.

- I don't know if it's a bug/typo, but the opposing team's name certainly wasn't 'Team Hakurei'. [screen]

This one was a bug in the original game as well. There's no way I can fix it by just modifying the .csvs unfortunately.

I'll put up an updated version when I'm done with the sub-scenarios, which I expect to be around Christmas time, maybe a little earlier.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #89 on: December 20, 2009, 12:37:51 AM »
Working good so far.

I can't access the Main Scenario - it freezes after the random guy pops up during the first cutscene and goes "Become the Super Shooting Player" or whatever.  But this isn't a patch issue - it happens with the patch disabled too so I'm clueless.

Anyway though, the only text glitches I've seen so far has been: Wriggle's Border Of Death has no line; and I think it's either Lily White or Lily Black has a line that consists of "25" (lolwut).  ...And a number of text overflows but I haven't been paying them enough attention to remember T.T;