Author Topic: Touhou 13 ~ Ten Desires announced!  (Read 263013 times)

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
Re: Touhou 13 ~ Ten Desires announced!
« Reply #960 on: March 10, 2011, 06:54:38 PM »
I think Alice did the same on PCB too.

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #961 on: March 10, 2011, 06:56:23 PM »
Didnt alice do that in PCB?

fakeedit:
I think Alice did the same on PCB too.
God dammit stealing my words.

On the topic of the game getting livestreamed, well, thats just it. They livestream from reitaisai? Man oh man I must be behind.

« Reply #962 on: March 10, 2011, 06:59:32 PM »
Reimu: Hehehe! ☆

Elly:      Sorry, but you can't go any
             further down this road.

Reimu: And why not?

Elly:      This is only the trial version
             so it's not ready yet.

Reimu: That's a trite answer. (sweating profusely)

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Touhou 13
« Reply #963 on: March 10, 2011, 07:12:41 PM »
Well I'll be damned.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Barrakketh

• You're suddenly Director of Fixing That Shit!
  • Vice President of It's Your Problem Now.
« Reply #964 on: March 10, 2011, 07:39:00 PM »
It's also happened if you used a continue:

Genji:    But, I'm worried that your current
               skill may be no match against Mima.

Reimu: What?

Marisa: Kyahaha, he's right!
              You've continued
              xx times already!! [xx = the number of continues the player has used]
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #965 on: March 10, 2011, 07:47:57 PM »
Double digits?
You can continue up to NINETY NINE times?
woah

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #966 on: March 10, 2011, 07:50:54 PM »
I still haven't tried magical arena. I don't like fighting games but the 3d flying nature attack with ranged attacks more than melee kind of replaces the aspects about fighting games I dislike. As for the Touhou version. I think Gar-gar has a point where it looks like they kinda play the same. But I think that's just a trailer fault. I mean I think it's just showcasing all the girl's biggest nukes at maximum range basically. I rekon using your big nukes all the time wouldn't actually be an effective method of playing, and the unique feel of each character is more apparent in a real-game situation. Or so I hope.

"Concentrated Jesus"... Drake's expressions are the best.

« Reply #967 on: March 10, 2011, 09:58:58 PM »
Double digits?
You can continue up to NINETY NINE times?
woah

Actually, SoEW only gives you three continues.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #968 on: March 10, 2011, 11:22:24 PM »
Speaking of continues, I really hope 10D / TD replaces the stupid "continues = restart the whole damn level" system in MoF/SA/UFO with either the older or GFW systems. That single gripe ruined those games for me - seriously, going through the boring stage and mid-boss again just to "return" to a boss fight (likely on my last life)?! >:(
In an arcade-style game such as Touhou one should be able to pick up where (s)he left off, regardless of penalties. This isn't some home system platformer where levels can be restarted forcefully (and even then they usually have checkpoints).
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 01:35:55 AM by iPad Kernel Panic...? »
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

« Reply #969 on: March 11, 2011, 12:46:57 AM »
Actually, I like the recent format with continues :O.  It gives me such a feeling of accomplishment when I am able to finish a game without having to start in the middle as a continue :P.  This is my own opinion of course.

Drake

« Reply #970 on: March 11, 2011, 12:53:22 AM »
Honestly the main problem people have with the new continue system is that they think they can't clear a single stage from the beginning with only three lives.
This means either 1. You DO need practice on that stage or 2. You're actually trying to bruteforce through the game. In the case of number 2, restart the run for more lives, and then you get closer to 1ccing anyways. I like this system.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #971 on: March 11, 2011, 01:30:25 AM »
Honestly the main problem people have with the new continue system is that they think they can't clear a single stage from the beginning with only three lives.
This means either 1. You DO need practice on that stage or 2. You're actually trying to bruteforce through the game. In the case of number 2, restart the run for more lives, and then you get closer to 1ccing anyways. I like this system.

Of course, practice makes perfect.
I usually resort to #2 with arcade games, though, so I guess I'll try that strategy and hopefully 1cc them in due course. I may also lower the difficulty settings for this (I usually play on Hard or, in UFO, Normal), but where's the fun in that?  :V
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 01:35:20 AM by iPad Kernel Panic...? »
Bad command or file name

Drake

« Reply #972 on: March 11, 2011, 01:40:12 AM »
The only other argument I can think of is that it is slower for both unlocking stages for practice and seeing them for the first time when the game comes out, if you game over consistently enough. To which, it really depends on which stage you're on as well. I know when SA came out, it took me forever to even see stage 6 because stage 4 and 5 on Normal took me several hours to complete even once to get to the next stage. However, since it just came out I was new enough at the game to probably have not had more than three lives going into either stage on a full run, so I chose stage restarts instead of runs.

Because of this I can see how this can annoy people on a short-term basis when they haven't played the game much, but even still is fairly petty to complain about. In the long run, stage restarts on continue is better for you.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #973 on: March 11, 2011, 02:42:00 AM »
The only other argument I can think of is that it is slower for both unlocking stages for practice and seeing them for the first time when the game comes out, if you game over consistently enough. To which, it really depends on which stage you're on as well. I know when SA came out, it took me forever to even see stage 6 because stage 4 and 5 on Normal took me several hours to complete even once to get to the next stage. However, since it just came out I was new enough at the game to probably have not had more than three lives going into either stage on a full run, so I chose stage restarts instead of runs.

Because of this I can see how this can annoy people on a short-term basis when they haven't played the game much, but even still is fairly petty to complain about. In the long run, stage restarts on continue is better for you.

Hm, didn't look at the stage restart system that way beforehand. Given the full power starts, infinite tries, and a fresh set of lives (if coming in then less than three on that run), I could look at it as beneficial.

Maybe this system, increasing difficulty curves, the new derivative works policy, and the refusal to listen to fans' rabid Mima demands are ways ZUN is trying to weed out, contain, and narrow the Touhou fanbase and its increasingly vocal and commercial desires. I take it he's trying to retain control of his franchise and keep it from going too far, which makes sense from an artist's perspective.
Bad command or file name

« Reply #974 on: March 11, 2011, 02:49:45 AM »
Or ZUN was just drunk and didn't give a shit

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #975 on: March 11, 2011, 02:59:35 AM »
Or both, some people have the best ideas while drunk.
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

Barrakketh

• You're suddenly Director of Fixing That Shit!
  • Vice President of It's Your Problem Now.
« Reply #976 on: March 11, 2011, 03:05:43 AM »

One thing I'd like to see is stages being unlocked for practice when you first access the stage instead of after clearing it.
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #977 on: March 11, 2011, 03:10:25 AM »
I think the problem with stage restarts on continue systems is just that there's not really much of a difference over manually stage practicing each stage after your first continue. It seems kinda pointless. Plus if you can't quite 1cc a game, you can't really tell how close you are to doing a 1cc.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #978 on: March 11, 2011, 03:12:32 AM »
Yeah, unless you take replays of your mistakes to study what you did wrong instead of just saving them for bragging rights.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Iced Fairy

• So like if you try to hurt alkaza
  • I will set you on fire k'?
    • Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #979 on: March 11, 2011, 03:27:17 AM »
One thing I'd like to see is stages being unlocked for practice when you first access the stage instead of after clearing it.
This, pretty much sums up my opinion.

I don't care if you want me to bang my head up against a stage repeatedly until I get it right, but please don't make me waste my time with all the previous stages getting there.

« Reply #980 on: March 11, 2011, 03:33:35 AM »

or do like Crimzon Clover, where (iirc) you have access to stage practice to one stage beyond the one you've reached (though you still need to buy it with stars in the limiter shop). Though the first thing I did was buy the bgms for sound test (and the intro skip) :p

Or stage practice for the next stage could be also enabled if you beat the stage before it on stage practice too :p

I hope that the spellcard practice room has last words (or whatever replaces them) and is as fun (or more) than in IN. Though I also hope that we don't get to fight Reimu or Marisa in stage 4 (which was a "remake" of the same boss fight in LLS -- which imho also allowed the player to fight Marisa again, after SoEW, with the bonus that you could also play as Marisa against Reimu).

Wonder if we would have requirements like "get to 1% of the last boss' final attack with one credit on Lunatic and then die your last life there", or "enter the bgm room" :p
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #981 on: March 11, 2011, 04:54:08 AM »
Isnt this game supposed to be harder? I'd love to see this implemented, but sadly It's most likely not going to happen. Though I'm still waiting to see what kind of characters ZUN will put into this one.

In related news Chocolate Bar Japanese Dude for Ten Desires.

Ayuka

• Pursuer of cute things
  • Not obsessive in the slightest.
    • Neko Arrange
« Reply #982 on: March 11, 2011, 05:01:14 AM »
Isnt this game supposed to be harder?

Other way around. It's supposed to be easier. Whether or not it will be is a different story, but...
How hard it is doesn't mean that practice stages can't unlock before you beat the stage main-game, though. If anything, the harder it is the more the stages should unlock as you get to them rather than after you beat them.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 05:03:11 AM by Fragile »

« Reply #983 on: March 11, 2011, 08:03:27 AM »
Wonder if we would have requirements like "get to 1% of the last boss' final attack with one credit on Lunatic and then die your last life there", or "enter the bgm room" :p

10D will have achievements. One for entering the music room. One for starting the game. One for shooting your first bullet. One for blowing up your first fairy. One for dieing.

You heard it here first, folks.
All lies and all sin, all dreams and all majesty, Everything rots in this ruined hell

[The Perfect, Elegant Maid] [Pathos of the Hated People] [Music, Projects, and Art]

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #984 on: March 11, 2011, 08:05:55 AM »
10D will have achievements. One for entering the music room. One for starting the game. One for shooting your first bullet. One for blowing up your first fairy. One for dieing.

You heard it here first, folks.
I sure hope that isnt sarcasm.
Achievements would be cool I guess. It makes me wanna play a game more. *achievement whore*

Aba Matindesu!

• keep it gwiyoming
  • DASEU RAESISSEU
« Reply #985 on: March 11, 2011, 08:06:04 AM »
Oh wow, today's the release date and...

I hate you, Namazu and Tenshi. I really do.

e: hurr thought it was March 11, my bad.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 09:05:07 AM by Visullimexed »

teets mi hao 2 2hu teets mi teets mi hao 2 2hu

Drake

« Reply #986 on: March 11, 2011, 08:50:41 AM »

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #987 on: March 11, 2011, 09:08:26 AM »
Thanks alot, I just crapped my pants looking for a demo download. now I just lost 10 years of life from crushed heart/dreams/hopes/etc.

« Reply #988 on: March 11, 2011, 09:21:40 AM »
Convenient Australia (Victoria, at least) has a public holiday on Monday so we have two days to enjoy the demo of 10D.

Of course it's three stages and it'll lose it's appeal quickly. I suspect I'll have Lunatic memorised to the bullet by the end of Monday though.  :V

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #989 on: March 11, 2011, 09:40:43 AM »
Looks like it won't be released this weekend after all. Big Sight's been damaged by the earthquake so they're taking this weekend to assess how bad it is. No word on a new date as of yet.