Author Topic: This is the 9th thread dedicated to the recording of failures at playing Touhou.  (Read 149469 times)

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
Using save-states in mame is spineless. Not as bad as editing code to unlock stuff, but it's still spineless.
spine?less/ˈspīnlis/Adjective
1. Having no spine or backbone; invertebrate.
2. (of a person) Lacking resolution; weak and purposeless.
Going out of your way to evaluate your runs, find weaknesses and spend hours on bettering said weaknesses actively rather than just hoping for the best seems pretty much the opposite of this to me. :V If you find it more fun or rewarding to practice by playing full runs, good on you, but don't be calling people who want to focus on specific areas spineless. Especially in a chaining game like Dodonpachi, there's a lot of trial and error when trying to create a good chain - you're simply reducing the time between trials by using a state at the start of a stage or section. A lot of the time when learning, you'll be going for a chain in a certain stage and that only, and the rest of the game will be irrelevant for you until you've figured it out - you're wasting a huge amount of time trying to do this and going through 20 (or 40!) minutes of game to practice something that could be five seconds long.

The logic is pretty flawed, regardless; starting stage 2 of DOJ with a state in MAME would be regarded as 'spineless' while doing the exact same thing in the 360 port would not, despite no real differences in what's actually going on with the gameplay. I would argue that the only reason stage practice isn't available for the original versions is because it wouldn't really work in an arcade setting with people in line waiting for turns, hence why all the home ports, also official versions, include it (and the more modern ones also include boss practice, midboss practice and pretty much every conceivable set of options that could occur while playing).

In my opinion, if you've improved your game for a regular one credit run, you've improved your game, and you're better at it than the guy who hasn't. How you did it is pretty much irrelevant.

Spoiler:
Hum, I wonder if we've had this argument before. :V

On a similar note, spell practice is fun times~
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 11:45:06 AM by Sapz »
Let's fight.

Decided to do a Ran pacifist, but died on all the easy stuff.  Death on her first spell, death on SuppaTenko's Illusion as the card ended, death on Ultimate Buddhust, 2 deaths on Unilateral Contact with full bombs in stock.  >=(

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
...you're simply reducing the time between trials by using a state at the start of a stage or section...
And that's exactly the problem. Let's quote "spineless" again.
spine?less/ˈspīnlis/Adjective
1. Having no spine or backbone; invertebrate.
2. (of a person) Lacking resolution; weak and purposeless.
The crux of the issue here is the sheer number of extra hours required to practice the required portion, maybe as a ratio though that won't be my point of argument. Instead, let's look at the number of hours as an absolute (i.e. disregard the other value and take the initial at face value). You recall that scorerunner's stats and how many time he made it to 2-5 for DFK (or w/e it was; you showed "us" quite some time ago)? Yeah.

Of course, this is only half the debate. The other half consists of going on about DDP and how there are no ports, and leading it back into the original item; the dnh script. You can tell where this goes, so I'll save the trouble of spelling it out.

Spoiler:
Hum, I wonder if we've had this argument before. :V
Don't think so, I think only ~*~the farm~*~ has had it so far.

To keep things more relevant; relying on the RNG to go in your favour for scoring has been so much fun. Fucking Eye Grazing, how d(ry
Previous experiences like with FW should've told me to avoid this but noooo I think I should just take a Darwin Award for not learning from my mistakes.
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

Agent of the BSoD

• Takeminakata Invocation
  • Never forget
UFO normal run = THIS GAME SUCKS!
On stage 4 on Murasa's timeout spell. No lives left, and when the timer said 00.10 seconds left, I died.
I figured out how to play midi in games with a different device on Win7 ^^
TF2 Backpack
Embodiment of Scarlet Hair English Patch is almost completed.
^ I didn't forget about this. I don't know what you're talking about. >_>

DgBarca

• Umineko fuck yeah
  • Spoilers ?
Oh my Shinki
 :colonveeplusalpha:
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 01:58:58 PM by DgBarca »
[21:16] <redacted> dgbarca makes great work
[21:16] <redacted> i hope he'll make a full game once

OMG Death at 3rd non-spell on EoSD Final Stage -.-....Screw you Remilia, not even a chance to pick up point items after a spell.

http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=13088

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
So Phantasmagoria Trues apparently has a
Spoiler:
True Last Boss
and it took me completely by surprise.

However, by the time it was almost dead I still had two lives left so I figured I could still 1cc easily.

...of course I then had to die three times within like 10 seconds and game over.  :colonveeplusalpha:

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
Was all set to do a perfect run of EoSD Extra.

And then I died to Lavatein.
And then I died to Kagome, Kagome.
And then I died to Maze of Love.
And then I died to Starbow Break.
And then I died to QED as it was exploding.

:colonveeplusalpha:

I captured ExKogasa's first card for once, then proceeded to lose all my lives before reaching Nue.  Had a decent MarisaB Normal run going as well, but it tanked around stage 4/5 with me failing the run on Byakuren's last card.

EDIT: Gameover on Yuyuko.  On Normal.  Wow, what the fuck...
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 11:55:51 PM by chirpy13 »

After creditfeeding my way to stage 4 UFO lunatic I felt ready for some 1cc action on normal with Marisa A.
It ended in a complete and utter failure, highlights include summoning rainbow ufos during stage 6 twice by mistake, deathbombing Byakurens opener and dying during the last 0.2 second on both Murasa and Shou's final cards.

UFO is so much fun!!!

-edit- I got the 1cc! This time I had like 6 lives, and fatal K.O'd Byakuren with a master spark as she was exploding.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 10:15:39 PM by 633IDK »
"you never know, you may have the best strats in the world" - Zil

Immortal Momiji!

Lepetit89

• Deranged Collector
It's actually been about three weeks since then, but the biggest failure so far must have been one attempt at PCB Lunatic that ended prematurely in stage 4.
Everything up until that point had gone fine, but then I royally messed up against the fairies whose bullets disappear upon being shot down, the ones who attack some time after Lily. If I recall correctly, I died twice and the run ended at that point - not because I ran out of lives, but because my anger-management was also somewhat lacking, resulting in me smashing my laptop, causing the screen to break. I did shut the laptop because I didn't want to break the screen, but I didn't think far enough to comprehend that repeatedly smashing the laptop in its closed state isn't particularly good for the screen either.

Ever since then, I vowed to work on my anger-management (and also not to make mistakes as stupid as that one...)

Okay, this stuff is getting irritating. Playing Touhouvania 2 has me getting killed all the time. Even Alice proved a challenge because hitbox where? I dunno, it changes depending on wether i'm flying or not.

And then I keep thinking, whut? This stuff is harder than even Megamari and for all the wrong reasons! Am I the only one who finds Megamari to be a much easier game? At least it has a million times better controls (which isn't surprising. Megaman also has a million times as good controls as Castlevania imo so its not surprising.

UFO normal run = THIS GAME SUCKS!
On stage 4 on Murasa's timeout spell. No lives left, and when the timer said 00.10 seconds left, I died.

Yea I hate when things like that happen. EoSD Lunatic on stage 1, died right before all the bullets turned to score points. Yea the small delay after you beat the boss is when I died  :(.

I usually have the tendency to run into bullets even if I would of been fine staying still.

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
Yea I hate when things like that happen. EoSD Lunatic on stage 1, died right before all the bullets turned to score points. Yea the small delay after you beat the boss is when I died  :(.

I usually have the tendency to run into bullets even if I would of been fine staying still.
That delay of bullets turning into point items actually got progressively worse. In EoSD, they're near instantaneous, to a degree, but in say MoF, the delay is huge. I mean, it's a cool effect ZUN, but it's really annoying.
TF2 Backpack

MTSranger

• =.=
fck wtf that PCB normal run was so embarrassingly bad. I freaking died 10 times in stage 5-6.  :colonveeplusalpha:
(needless to say, I had perfected the first 4 stages... all set to my first scoring run...)

XephyrEnigma

• :|
  • XephyrEnigma
That delay of bullets turning into point items actually got progressively worse. In EoSD, they're near instantaneous, to a degree, but in say MoF, the delay is huge. I mean, it's a cool effect ZUN, but it's really annoying.

This. This, endlessly.
Iced-Fairy: "Danmaku is like soccer, except instead of hooligans you get fairies and the riot is before the game." 

My YouTube channel where I often screw about - Latest Upload: IN Border Team Easy Clear

AJS

• Danmakufu Scripter
Not exactly a failure on my part, but I was playing the Phantasm Romance Danmakufu script, using my USB keyboard (cuz my laptop keyboard sucks and doesn't let me move diagonally while holding down the Shot key >:\ ).

All was going well, until my keyboard died right in the middle of the third boss fight.  Apparently, there was some weird crap going on with my computer, cuz my regular keyboard didn't work either.  I could only sit there and watch as I lost all of those precious, hard-earned lives to relatively simple bullet patterns.

That messed up keyboard thing turned out to be some really nasty stuff going on with my computer........but no worries, it's all good now. ^.^

That didn't just bloody happen again!!!  >:(
Perfect run against Lunatic Shou. Except for VoPB in which I run into a fucking bullet!

Fantastic! Lets throw this into the bucket of 1DNB Shou runs. I'm afraid that i'll flood my apartment if I by accident kick that bucket over. Holy hell i've had many of those. Its becoming a quite annoying clich?.

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
IaMP Hard run with Suika. Rage quit on Remilia. I continued once and didn't even make it to her last spell, made it to second to last instead. Grrr... Darn she's hard.
TF2 Backpack

IaMP Hard run with Suika. Rage quit on Remilia. I continued once and didn't even make it to her last spell, made it to second to last instead. Grrr... Darn she's hard.
Card 1 - stay on one side, highjump before she charges, hit her with a jB as you land
Card 2 - hold down, spear will miss, 2a and f2a vortex = yay
Card 3 - either 7 balls (easy), sucks in pink stuff (stay under Remi, jB her a few times), or wave along the ground (stay away, not much reaction time either)
Card 4 - either shoot while flying over (graze along the ground), fire from the side in air (graze first wave, highjump through the second and jb), fire from the ground (highjump behind, do whatever to her)
Card 5 - 33b her to death, pretty much the only decent grazing attack for that card.

This replay should be fine if you want visuals, but it doesn't abuse the gungnir trick.

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
Card 1 - stay on one side, highjump before she charges, hit her with a jB as you land
Card 2 - hold down, spear will miss, 2a and f2a vortex = yay
Card 3 - either 7 balls (easy), sucks in pink stuff (stay under Remi, jB her a few times), or wave along the ground (stay away, not much reaction time either)
Card 4 - either shoot while flying over (graze along the ground), fire from the side in air (graze first wave, highjump through the second and jb), fire from the ground (highjump behind, do whatever to her)
Card 5 - 33b her to death, pretty much the only decent grazing attack for that card.

This replay should be fine if you want visuals, but it doesn't abuse the gungnir trick.
You can duck under the spear? I didn't know that.
Card 4 is where I died at. It seems that the giant balls are not blockable, but the smaller ones are. Makes it difficult when the big ones are in the front.

Also, yeah, I've seen his Suika and Alice replays many, many times. If I recall, he doesn't lose a life on the Suika run at all, but I can't remember if he died or not on the Alice run.
If I made it to the last card, I would've been good, but whatever. I'll have to practice as Suika more. She's a powerhouse.
TF2 Backpack

You can duck under the spear? I didn't know that.
Yes, but only with Suika because she has a very short crouching hitbox.  Anyone else you have to jump over Remi with, or use some sort of invincibility frames (eg Yuyuko 6b, maybe bombing [not sure if there's enough frames] etc) - not to be confused with things like Marisa's sparks which only put you in a graze and block state.  Spear will hit through it.

Critz

• Heartwarming ★ Miracle
I hereby declare UFO as non-canon in my opinion. No game that can deny you a 1cc after finishing S4 with full life stock, S5 with 5 or 6 remaining extends and still not be forgiving enough to accept shitty luck on S6 with that many resources is worth playing for me. On normal mode to boot, even though I can 1cc EoSD-MoF Hard by now. Oh, and also fuck you S6 Nue, fuck you Star Maelstrom and fuck you Air Scroll. And the fairies at the beginning - fuck you to hell.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 09:56:42 AM by Critz »

Tried PCB ReimuB some. Outside of a few 1DNBNBB runs of Extra, yet convincing me again that I'm probably not allowed to perfect the stage.

Also tried Lunatic with her. Failed almost everything because I pretty much never play this game due to me hating it so much. Game over on stage 6 spam.

Enigma... you must realize that the only problem with PCB is its lack of challenge  :V. Really though, you are probably about as good as I am so I can really not understand how you can game over on PCB.

Me almost never playing the game means I obviously fail a lot of the spellcards.

Yeah well. I'll let you off for this one. Its just PCB after all. Nobody plays that any more.

I do not get it. My capture rate for KKS since reinstalling the game is 0/27. Its a bloody stage 3 spell. I perfect basically any other stage 3 boss consistently yet i cannot seem to capture this spell. Why is it so impossible?!!

For me, it's the pink on pink.

I don't really know what it is for me. Its pink on pink. The screen is shaking. There is quite a lot of bullets and they always seem to do their best to block my path and suceeding at it.

I haven't been doing intense Byakuren practice for a long time but I have recently had my hands on Shou and I think its fairly safe for me to say that KKS is a harder spell than anything Byakuren or Shou has. Even LFO - At least that thing have something of a pattern. And that's a final spell.

Critz

• Heartwarming ★ Miracle
I hereby declare UFO as non-canon in my opinion. No game that can deny you a 1cc after finishing S4 with full life stock, S5 with 5 or 6 remaining extends and still not be forgiving enough to accept shitty luck on S6 with that many resources is worth playing for me. On normal mode to boot, even though I can 1cc EoSD-MoF Hard by now. Oh, and also fuck you S6 Nue, fuck you Star Maelstrom and fuck you Air Scroll. And the fairies at the beginning - fuck you to hell.

x2
http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=13201
Did. Not. React. Argh! A fucking splitsecond. A motherfucking splitsecond earlier and that last bomb would be enough. I feel like punching a baby...argggh!!!

Fuck you, ZUN. And you S6 Nue fairy that decided to collision-kill me...I'll see you in hell. I'll give you a fun eternity.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 10:45:31 PM by Critz »