Author Topic: Dolphin Rider Koishi - The End  (Read 310222 times)

KaiserKnuckle

• You better stop,
  • and think about what you're doing
    • Music interests and whatnot
Re: Dolphin Rider Koishi - Arc 6
« Reply #540 on: October 17, 2012, 05:53:50 PM »
Honestly, I have no words to say on what just happened. That is just how amazing you wrapped up this arc, Rou.

But now I'm wondering to myself as what is to happen this next arc.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Molten

• Just a lil' goblin
  • A sweet potato.
« Reply #541 on: October 17, 2012, 06:12:02 PM »
Pretty much what everyone else has said so far, you're amazing and I'm looking forward to the next arc, whenever it's coming!

KrackoCloud

• I don't mean to be greedy...
  • ... but white rice is my favorite food.
« Reply #542 on: October 17, 2012, 10:21:10 PM »
ALAS! Arc ends, another hiatus! Come back soon Rou!

LaserTurtle

• Master of the lurk
  • *sips tea*
« Reply #543 on: October 17, 2012, 10:27:23 PM »
I would like to say that your story is simply amazing. everything else's been said already. Hmph. I applaud your writing ability and dedication to continuing each part of the story, because if I was the one writing this, it wouldn't be nearly as good and would end up not even half-finished. Your skills are something you should be very proud of.
Off The Rails [complete!] 1  2 - Sharks jumped: Somewhere between one and all of them
Talking to yourself isn't a sign of madness. Expecting a reply is.
Stare too long into the abyss and the abyss stares back, and then it gets awkward until one of you breaks eye contact.

« Reply #544 on: October 19, 2012, 04:46:29 PM »
Don't know what to say...Everyone took all the good compliments already. :P Umm...Awesome work on this arc and all the others! Looking forward to the next one!

Prime32

• Munch-Munch Demon
« Reply #545 on: October 20, 2012, 11:55:51 PM »
My only complaint about the last chapter is that it didn't have a Theme Music Power-up. :V

« Reply #546 on: October 24, 2012, 02:02:54 PM »
Oh ya, I recently re-read the story, and it is still as engaging, if not more, as the first time i read it. That must mean something right?
anyhoo, i got to wondering, can the teardrops be destroyed?

also, Rest well Rou, you earned it. and give us a another awesome arc when you return~.

Joveus Molai

• Bear the Word, and the Word will bear you.
« Reply #547 on: October 24, 2012, 05:20:22 PM »
I know there's a version of DRK on fanfiction.net for people who want to more quickly go back to an older chapter, but in case anyone wanted to that here on the forums instead, I've compiled a table of contents of sorts for all DRK stuff up to and including Arc 6.

(Chapter names are included for those that have them--otherwise, they will simply be labled "Chapter X/Y/Z/etc")

ARC 1
Awakening
Retreat
Acceptance
Acclimation
Skirmish Part 1, Part 2
Plan
Defeat

ARC 2
Rematch
Vengeance
Song
Phoenix
Strongest
Debriefing Part 1, Part 2, Part 3
Cataclysm Part 1, Part 2

INTERMISSION
Reprieve Part 1, Part 2

ARC 3
Recon
Breakin
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17

ARC 4
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10

INTERMISSION
~Intermission~

ARC 5
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8

ARC 6
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10

I highly suggest you try and make the time to do a complete re-read of DRK. As I've posted before, you'll catch things you never noticed.  :3
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 05:36:47 PM by Joveus Molai »

« Reply #548 on: December 16, 2012, 06:28:19 AM »
Nothing I haven't already said to the author, but this take on Gensokyo is amazing as well as the OC's presented with the theme.

*Waits warmly for Arc 7*

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
Dolphin Rider Koishi - Arc 7 (In progress - updates weekly!)
« Reply #549 on: April 21, 2013, 10:22:52 PM »
What's that? Six months since the last update? We'd better do something about that. :3

(You know the drill by now - updates should be landing every Sunday unless something catastrophic happens. I'm sitting on about 25k of finished work, so I should be good for about a month. Enjoy!)

-----

“I said I’m fine, dad.”

Mokou held the phone to her ear with her one good arm - the one that didn’t send a jolt of pain up her shoulder every time she moved it. Technically she should have taken a sizable dose of morphine to help with that, but she’d never been a fan of medicine she didn’t produce herself.

“You don’t sound fine,” answered a gruff voice on the other end of the line. “You haven’t been getting yourself into trouble again, have you?”

“No! No, of course not.” Mokou sat upright in her hospital bed and immediately regretted it as another dull ache rushed along her spine. She held back a growl of pain for fear it would give her lie away. “I’m just having a sleepover with some friends for a few days.”

“A sleepover?” Mokou could almost feel her father glaring at her over the phone line. The silence that followed was almost as painful as her injuries, carrying on for what felt like forever.

At last, a grunt of resignation echoed through the line. “Well, alright. You’re a young woman now, so I can hardly judge how you live your life. Just give your old man a warning once in a while, alright?”

Mokou nodded. She’d have sent him a message earlier, but she’d only recently recovered enough to hold a phone without half of her muscles complaining about it.

“Sure thing,” she answered. “And...well, sorry for worrying you.”

“It’s fine, Mokou.” For a moment the voice on the line grew softer. “I’m just glad you’re alright.”

The Siren stuck her tongue out. She considered poking fun at her old man, but giving him more reasons to be annoyed with her seemed like a bad move.

“Anyway, I’ve gotta run.” Mokou said. “Goodnight, greyhips.”

As she folded her phone over, Mokou could already feel another pair of eyes locked onto her.

“Greyhips?” Sango said. “What sort of nickname is that?”

“Oh, shut up. I’m sure you’ve got a silly name for your old man, too.”

Sango rolled her eyes. “I wish. The only name my dad answers to is ‘sir’.”

“...Seriously?”

“Imagine having a dad that’s also your boss.” Sango puckered her lips, staring up at the ceiling. “You can imagine how awkward family dinners were.”

Mokou pondered the idea for a moment. ’Pass the salt, sir’. ‘May I be excused, sir?’ ‘So how was work, sir?’ She began to wonder if Sango’s relaxed nature was a subtle act of defiance.

“He never even let me help out after I joined the Pearl. The only reason he let me come out here was because no-one else fit the job,” Sango continued. “Most of the White Pearl are old fogies now, and they figured the Sirens would get on best with a girl my age. If it wasn’t for that, I’d be out doing patrol work miles away from any real action.”

Mokou leaned over towards Sango, ignoring the stinging pain in her spine. “Well, if it’s any consolation, I think you’re the friendliest dolphin I’ve ever met.”

Sango frowned. “That’s pretty faint praise.”

“I make a habit of being honest.” Mokou’s smile faltered slightly. “For real, though, you shouldn’t be so harsh on your old man. He probably doesn’t want you to get hurt, even if he’s too proud to admit it.”

“You think so?”

“Trust me, I’ve got some experience in that department. It took a lot of pestering for me to pull old greyhips out of his shell.”

Sango giggled at the nickname as if it were a joke all on its own. The tension in her shoulders began to fade.

“I suppose family is like that, huh?” she said. “Even if they don’t see eye-to-eye, they’ll always look out for each other.”

Mokou nodded. “Yeah, something like that.” Without thinking, she turned her attention to the curtain that split the room in half. “Even those two.”

Sango followed Mokou’s gaze, her eyes twinkling with understanding. There was no need to name names; both of them had heard the bickering echo through the hallway.

“I don’t understand what happened,” Sango said, a hand on her chin. “They looked like they were getting on so well...”

“They were still high from finding each other,” Mokou answered as she fell back into bed. “Now they’ve had a chance to get to know each other, and they don’t like what they see.”

“Shouldn’t we get them to stop fighting?”

Mokou shrugged. “It’s not our place to interfere. Besides, I get the feeling a chance to vent their frustrations is exactly what those two need.”

Sango seemed tentative, but finally nodded in acceptance. “Right. You humans have a saying about that, don’t you? ‘Blood is slicker than water’ or something.”

“It’s ‘thicker’, Sango-san.”

“Ohhh. I was wondering why it didn’t make any sense.”

-----

“Sakuyaaaa, where are you?”

Remilia groaned on the other side of the line. It was rare for the young girl to act her age, Sakuya thought to herself. She made a note to disappear more often.

“Apologies, milady. I’ve been...preoccupied for the last few days.” She rubbed at the side of her head, at the still-raw mark where Rin’s kick had struck her. The danger had passed, but every few minutes she would be struck by a dizzy spell that made it difficult to stand. Coming back to work in that condition was not an option.

“Patchy says she’s got plans for you when you get back. Something about burning you at the stake.”

“I’m sure she does,” Sakuya said with a chuckle. “How’s Flandre?”

Another grumble. “I haven’t seen her all day. She’s been working with that Kirisame woman every waking moment. I’ve been passing the time trying to teach Meiling how to play chess, but she’s having trouble grasping how en passant works.”

In the background, Sakuya could hear the door guard murmuring about how Remilia was making up rules as she went along. The look on her face had to be priceless right now. It was a shame Sakuya wouldn’t get to see it.

“Anyway, make sure to come back to the mansion as soon as you’re available. I’ve been trying my hand at making tea in your absence, but I’ve yet to make a brew as well-balanced as yours. What’s your secret?”

“If I told you that, you wouldn’t have a reason to employ me, would you?.” Sakuya stuck her tongue out, forgetting herself for a moment. “Goodbye, milady. I’ll see you soon.” She hung up, flopping backwards onto her bed and sighing.

Youmu’s eyes hadn’t turned away from her for the entire phone call. The swordsman was staring straight at her, her expression heavy with disdain.

And now we’re back to this again, Sakuya thought. Youmu had been like this since they’d been ‘admitted’ into the hospital. Her glare carried an overpowering tone of holier-than-thou, like a schoolteacher punishing a misbehaving pupil. It wasn’t the first time Sakuya had been given that look, but she hadn’t expected it from her own sister.

Sakuya had learned from experience that there were two ways she could react to this. She could ignore Youmu entirely, or stir up the swordsman’s emotions and start a fight. She knew that arguing with Youmu would lead to nothing but trouble - but putting down the goody-two-shoes was too cathartic for her to resist.

“Oh, come on. You aren’t still mad, are you?” Sakuya rolled her eyes. Youmu’s glare only grew more intense as she sat up in the bed opposite Sakuya.

“How can you talk like that, Miyo?” Youmu sounded hurt, almost offended. “You broke into the Institute’s offices illegally. You were ready to kill a woman in cold blood.”

“A murderer, I’d like to clarify.” Sakuya raised a single finger to emphasise the point.

“It doesn’t matter. Murder is still murder.” Youmu growled, a flame flickering in her eyes. “You were so much kinder when you visited me. Was that all an act?”

“It was because I knew you’d overreact like this.” Sakuya tried to box her ears with her pillow. “Look, can we leave this discussion for later? I’m getting a headache.”

She couldn’t hear Youmu’s response, but the curled-up brows and wild hand gestures got the point across. Of course there was no headache, though Sakuya didn’t doubt that if she listened to her sister for long enough all the blood vessels in her brain would burst in unison.

All that training’s made her brain gone soft, Sakuya thought to herself. She’s so obsessed with honour that she can’t bring herself to make anything resembling a difficult choice.

It was a logical line of reasoning from where Sakuya was standing. She didn’t understand why Youmu couldn’t grasp the idea - there were no complex moral questions or difficult concepts to understand. There was simply what had to be done.

The world’s not as black-and-white as she thinks it is. Sakuya sighed. But how do I get her to understand that?

“Look, Youmu...” Reluctantly, she pulled her head back out of the pillow and faced forward again. “I’m not going to claim I’m some pariah of justice. But right now, I can’t afford to be. The Black Claw isn’t going to play fair, so neither can I.”

Youmu’s glare was as intense as before. “So you’re willing to stoop to their level, then.”

“That’s not what I said.”

“But it’s what you meant.”

And just like that, the argument was over. Sakuya grimaced. Their fights never seemed to end in one side admitting defeat. As usual, both girls looked away and stared intently at anything that wasn’t each other.

Sakuya buried her face in her pillow. These fights felt like a sugar rush to her - they gave her a brief euphoria, only to send her crashing down soon afterward. Youmu was her sister, the one she’d spent years hunting down. Was this honestly the right way to treat her?

She wrestled with the point in silence, refusing to let Youmu see her hesitate. Now her head really was starting to hurt.

Forget it. I’ll think this over when I’m not stuck in a hospital bed.

The world went hazy, and Sakuya felt her consciousness slip away again. It was a welcome reprieve.

In her dreams, everything was so much simpler.

-----

The hideaway was horribly cramped. Over the last few days he had undertaken some research, examining the length of the building to find a spot where he could stretch his arms out without hitting a wall.

No luck so far.

Rinnosuke Morichika cursed. He owned penthouses with attics larger than this. It was like the last decade of toil and struggle had never happened, and he was back at the bottom rung of the ladder of life.

And if the lack of space wasn’t enough, the tedium had been wearing away at his sanity. He considered himself an educated businessman, but there wasn’t room here to store even a fraction of his collection of books. He’d turned to television to cope, but the plights of the common man felt horribly beneath him.

At last he retreated onto the internet, that delicious miasma of anonymity. He poked at the sites of the CIA and MI6, going as far as he could while remaining on the right side of the law. The secret services fascinated him - in his opinion, the only difference between their business and his was that they had the gall to claim they were a force of good. Rinnosuke would never resort to such rhetoric - he was out for himself, and so was everybody else.

But prodding at the black suits could only offer so much fun. Rinnosuke was not a hacker, and with nothing but a monitor and a keyboard there was only so much he could accomplish. There was a barrier between him and the rest of the world, a plastic bubble that was slowly suffocating him. He’d had no visitors other than a daily delivery of fresh food, and he hadn’t stepped out of the house in weeks.

The worst part was knowing that he had done this to himself. He’d made sure to keep this hideout a secret from everyone beyond his upper echelon of associates. It was a last resort, only to be tended to when Rinnosuke couldn’t afford to be found by the authorities.

He had been scared - no, concerned. Fear was not an emotion Rinnosuke would allow himself to feel. Even in the knowledge that another agent of ‘justice’ was sniffing at his trail, and that she was coming dangerously close to a breakthrough.

Sumire Raikoji, he thought to himself. It’s her fault that I’ve been reduced to this.

He hadn’t even cared about her to begin with. She wasn’t the first young gun to try and bring the law down on him. If he had just fed her a little misdirection earlier, she wouldn’t have been a problem.

But Rinnosuke had underestimated the young lawyer. Her senses were sharp, and her instincts unnervingly accurate. She had picked on tiny details, following them as far as they would go. She had put together the skeleton of a case against him - and at the rate she was working, the police might be out to arrest him within the fortnight.

She wasn’t working alone. There was no way a newcomer like Sumire could be so observant. She had an accomplice, someone with a few years of experience under their belt. They’d been clever enough not to investigate the case for themselves, sending an underling to gather the facts in their stead. Sumire was merely a pawn, but the king controlling her was out of Rinnosuke’s reach.

The reasonable plan was to wait. He knew that. If he hid for long enough Sumire would assume he’d fled the country, and eventually he would be forgotten. But that could take months, even years, and he would have to endure it in what was effectively solitary confinement. Perhaps his body and mind would survive, but cowering like a rat for so long would be a grievous injury to his pride.

Rinnosuke made a choice he’d been pondering over for days now. He pulled up a window on the computer, logging into a private server. It was something one of the tech-heads had installed months ago, but until now he’d never had a good reason to use it. His fingers were slow and careful across the keys as he entered his password, signing in under the username Kourin.

It was a beautiful system, now that he saw it. The server was indirectly connected to the email accounts of dozens, maybe hundreds of operatives. The mail it sent would be passed through half a dozen proxies, making it nigh-untraceable. It was a fast yet covert way to send an order across the city, even if he couldn’t make it in person.

Yes, a wonderful setup. A shame the engineer had to start questioning his morals by the time payday rolled around. They still hadn’t pulled him out of the ocean, Rinnosuke thought to himself.

With a firm resolve, he started to write up a letter. He chose his words carefully - just vague enough that in a court it could be argued that they were harmless, but strong enough that no-one could possibly miss his actual intent.

Time to teach you a lesson, he thought to himself as he pressed the Enter key. Don’t push out a pawn if you aren’t willing to play a gambit.

The email went on its way, traversing Gensouto faster than Rinnosuke could blink. He leaned backwards into his chair - at least, as far back as there was room for. With any luck, this would bring the investigations against him to a definite halt. He reached into a minifridge at his side, pulling out a bottle of champagne he’d been saving for a special occasion.

It slipped out of his hand when he heard the door knock.

Rinnosuke’s body went rigid, animal instincts flaring up. It wasn’t time for his daily grocery delivery. Marketers had explicit orders not to stop here. He’d warned his associates to stay away on pain of death. So who did that leave?

“Morichika. It’s me.”

Oh. Of course. Her. In the heat of the moment, Rinnosuke had forgotten she existed. His pulse slowed to a brisk pace as he tip-toed towards the door, looking out the peephole to be safe. He saw a woman in a long black dress, her expression caught in that fine line between boredom and contempt. He took a quick peek behind her, making sure that she hadn’t been tailed before finally opening the door.

“It’s been a while, Levi.”

The woman’s face didn’t even falter as he spoke her name. At least, it was the only name she had given him. She brushed him aside as she entered, finding one of the few chairs and lodging herself in it. Her gait had an unusual haste to it, he realised, as if something had left her impatient. Perhaps she was as displeased with the current state of affairs as he was.

“How’d you find me?” he asked. He tried to drop the question subtly, but it was honestly a pressing issue for him. There were maybe half a dozen men in the city who knew about this hideout, and Levi shouldn’t have known how to find any of them.

As always, Levi answered with a glare. She was a woman of many questions and few answers, refusing even to show herself to his business associates, but that was what Rinnosuke had found strangely alluring about her. She was probably a spy of some sort, but she had been hard to place - CIA? KGB? Or some other society he’d never heard of?

He could tolerate a little mystery in return for the funds Levi had offered him. She’d donated billions of yen to his causes, and the business had exploded as a result. In return she had asked for practically nothing, merely requesting the right to use his hired help now and again. Perhaps her superior wanted to get on Rinnosuke’s good side now so they could call in a favour later.

“...Well.” After letting the question hang unanswered for a while, Rinnosuke was wise enough to move on. “I’m guessing you had to work for it, at least. Sorry I’ve been so hard to find recently. A little preoccupied, if you know what I mean.”

Levi nodded, her head barely shuffling. Everything she did felt strangely subdued, like there was some primal force she was holding back. It had unnerved Rinnosuke had first, but he’d gradually been desensitised to it.

“Do you need my help?” she asked.

“No. Definitely not.” Rinnosuke shook his head violently. “I’ve got this all taken care of, trust me. In a few days I’ll be-”

“Under suspicion for the murder of a young lawyer?” Levi interjected. Rinnosuke stopped, gulping without realising it. He felt the hairs on the back of his neck rise up.

“Don’t worry. I was prepared for this.” One side of Levi’s mouth rose half an inch. “I have a simple, foolproof plan that’ll make sure the police never bother you ever again. And since I’m feeling generous, I’ll even do it for free.”

Rinnosuke’s heart leaped. From anyone else that offer would have been impossible, but Levi was just enough of an enigma for him to buy into it. He tried to hide his surprise, coughing and straightening his collar.

“Well if you put it that way, I can’t refuse. What do I have to do?”

Levi’s lip twitched again. “Oh, it’s just one little thing. It’s very simple, actually.”

He had just enough time to see her pull something metallic from her pocket.

Then came the flash.

-----

“Too slow!”

Jozu yelled as her fist came crashing down. Satori brought up her saber, smacking the broad side against the shark’s wrist to send her punch off target. It bought her just enough room to crane her neck to the side. The wind ran cold along her skin as the strike flew by.

Her sword arm was still extended, so Satori couldn’t counter with it. She brought a knee forward, ramming it square into Jozu’s stomach. The shark growled, but didn’t fall backwards more than a step or two. By the time Satori had managed to pull her arm back, her opponent was already going in for another attack.

What’s she going for? Satori tried to follow the tiny movements of Jozu’s muscles. Sweat ran down her face in beads. Her reactions were shot, so all she could do was predict the move before it happened. Normally that wouldn’t be a problem, but Jozu was a special case. The cacophony that was her mind left Satori nothing to take advantage of.

There wasn’t enough time. On instinct alone, Satori brought the blade up in front of her face. Time slowed to a crawl, giving her just enough time to see a smirk spread across Jozu’s lips. The fist curled downward, losing no momentum as it hurtled straight towards Satori’s chest.

It stopped less than an inch from her skin.

“If this was a real fight, you’d be dead by now.” Jozu smiled. She spoke of battle in the same way most people would discuss the weather. “Looks like I win again.”

Satori groaned. She pulled her helmet off, throwing it into the far corner of her cell before falling to her knees. They’d spent an hour sparring together, and for half of that she’d been surviving on sheer muscle memory. Initially she’d managed to take a bout or two from the shark, but the longer they fought the more dominant Jozu had become.

“What was the score again?” Jozu said, spinning her arm around in her shoulder. “Twenty-two to five?”

“Six.” Satori raised an extra finger, giving the shark a sharp glance. “And it’s hardly a fair comparison. How often am I going to fight someone with a defect like yours?”

“It’s a talent, not a defect.” Jozu stuck her nose up, arms folded as she sat down next to Satori. “It took years to get that much control of myself, and it’s the one thing stopping me from eating you right now.”

“Right, right.” Satori smirked. No matter how strong she was mentally, Jozu’s emotions were easy to toy with. There were times when she just couldn’t resist poking fun at the shark. A bit of relief now and again kept the edge off of her situation.

For a moment, they sat in silence. There was an unspoken bond between the two that made Satori feel comfortable simply by being close to Jozu. She wasn’t just a sparring partner, or even a bodyguard - she was a friend, the only one Satori felt she could rely on anymore. Especially now that her own family were out of the picture.

“Still, I’m surprised,” Jozu said, shattering the silence. “I wasn’t expecting you to ask for more sparring sessions after you heard the news. Hell, I was ready for you to just give up on the fight altogether.”

Satori nodded. It had been tempting to surrender, and she’d given it a lot of thought. She could still remember her superior’s words, the echoes of the tides as she spoke.

Your sister is lost, Komeiji. Her voice had been blunt and heartless. Perhaps that was what Satori had needed - a viewpoint unaffected by emotion. The Pearl has slipped tales of heroism into her mind, as they have with all of their recruits. They remain blind to the truth behind this war, and their master plants lies in their minds to keep them docile.

In all honesty, Satori had been ready for that answer. When she’d run into the Sirens at the orphanage, she’d glimpsed into their minds. All of them had bought into the belief that the White Pearl was the answer to the war, rather than what had started it in the first place. They’d passed the point of reason long ago.

“I almost gave in, I’ll admit.” Satori saw no need to act stronger than she was, leaning onto Jozu’s shoulder. “I said that I would kill her, but in the end I can’t turn my blade on my own sister. She doesn’t even know what she’s doing anymore.”

“So what are you going to do?” Jozu’s voice was pointed, almost more of a threat than a question. “You can’t stop fighting, but you can’t hide from her forever either. Sooner or later, you’re gonna meet her on the battlefield.”

Satori nodded. “I know. I’m not as naive as my sister is.” She looked down at the back of her right hand, where her violet Teardrop was lodged into the metal. “But I think I might have an idea. The Teardrop is the source of a Siren’s power, right?”

Jozu’s eyebrows rose. “So you’re thinking of disarming her. You realise that’ll be a lot harder than just sticking a sword in her chest, don’t you?”

The Siren winked. “That’s why I figured I could use some extra tutoring.”

The realisation washed over Jozu slowly but surely. Her lips formed into a tiny o, holding form for a few seconds before she let out a mighty sigh.

Moments later, she started to ruffle at Satori’s hair.

“Y’know, I’ve heard a lot of bad things about you humans. But you just might be alright after all.”

Now it was Satori’s turn to be embarrassed. She bowed her head down so the shark wouldn’t see her blush. “Says the woman whose race eats humans for lunch,” she countered.

“I told you, we don’t do it that often!” Jozu growled, her toying with Satori’s hair getting rougher. “You humans have just given us a really bad press, that’s all.”

Satori laughed so hard that it hurt to breathe. It felt inappropriate, but at the same time it was exactly what she needed. She looked over at the sword still resting in her hand, struggling to remember a moment when she hadn’t been training. Jozu had been her only source of relief, and even then she’d been careful not to fall too far from her stoicism.

To hell with it. Satori let her blade fall to the floor as her laughing spree continued. All work and no play makes me a dull girl.

Jozu flinched, letting go of Satori and stepping backwards. “Uh...are you alright?”

Satori felt tears welling in her eyes as she nodded. “I’m fine, Jozu. Better than I’ve been in a long time.”

-----

The morning came three hours too early for Nazrin’s taste.

It wasn’t the sunlight that woke her up - even in the brightest days her hiding spot was pitch black. It was the sound of the zoo coming to life that did the trick - employees running about, creatures calling out for food, and the first few visitors trickling in through the gates.

Nazrin didn’t want to move, but she didn’t have much of a choice. The familiar rumbling of her stomach forced her to rise up on all fours, her tail stretching and coiling around itself. A small yellow ribbon was wrapped around it, bouncing slightly as she stepped out of the darkness.

She looked out from underneath the cage. The usual stands were opening up across from her, selling junk food at obscene prices. They’d been easy picks on her first few days here, but the vendors were beginning to catch on. One of them was wielding his spatula as a weapon when he wasn’t flipping burgers with it, and his glare was permanently locked on the foot of the cage.

Nazrin growled, her throat almost as rough as her stomach. She slipped out under the side of the cage rather than opting for a head-on approach. A brick wall ran around the exhibit, and here there were enough holes in the structure for Nazrin to pull herself up. The cage’s inhabitant - a leopard slobbering on its breakfast - gave her little more than a bored glance before returning to its meal. One of the benefits of being so low on the food chain was that all of the real predators wouldn’t lower themselves to chasing mice.

The brick wall she was climbing looped around behind the stands. She found herself standing right behind her target as he gave his burgers another loving flip. The food on the grill was far too hot for her to handle, but he’d set aside some of it to cool down in the morning air. Stealing a whole patty was beyond her, but she could rip off a piece and run off with it.

She took a few careful steps backward. This was going to take a careful jump, and if she messed it up she’d either be a pancake or a mouse-kebab. She watched the human’s head bob about, waited for him to look down at his handiwork.

Then she leaped off the wall, landing neatly on the vendor’s head.

“The hell?!”

The man’s reaction was less than pleasant, as one hand reached up to grab at Nazrin. She slipped through its fingers, jumping down onto the stand itself. The human was too caught up with his headwear to see her move. By the time he’d caught on, she had already claimed her prize and started a dash back to her cage.

“You little piece of shit!”

For all the grease and warts clinging to his face, the human was much faster than Nazrin had anticipated. In three paces he’d covered the distance between her and the cage, blocking her with his spatula at the ready. She broke to the right, her tiny feet pattering across the stone as her heart raced in her chest.

The vendor chased after her with a new-found determination. She’d made a mistake in frequenting the same food stands - now the human considered her a personal enemy, and would follow her as far as he could. He swatted his weapon down at her, and the sound of it barely missing her sent another wave of adrenaline into her bloodstream.

Nazrin’s eyes bounced around her surroundings, looking for any sort of opening she could slip into. She checked for space beneath the passing cages, but unlike the leopard’s cage these ones were placed on the floor rather than propped up on wheels. The next building was a few hundred meters away, and there was only so long she could keep away from him for.

That left one option - jumping into an actual cage, but that would be escaping one predator to fall into the hands of another. She’d have to choose her living partner carefully.

Wolves, bobcats, mountain lions...why did I have to pick the meat-eating side of the zoo?!

Every option was worse than the one before it. Maybe hunters wouldn’t chase after Nazrin, but they wouldn’t turn down a free breakfast. All the while the vendor’s swings came closer, nipping at her tail more than once. Escape seemed all but impossible.

A foot popped up from behind one of the cages, and Nazrin ran straight into it.

“Whoa!” the foot’s owner cried. “What’s going on here?”

Nazrin’s head still spun from the impact. By the time she could see straight, she was already being picked off of the ground and lifted up by the human she’d run into. The chunk of burger fell from her mouth, uneaten.

“Hey, what’re ya doin’?” The vendor came to a stop, panting and gasping as the exertion caught up with him. “That little rat just tried to make off with my goddamn produce!”

Nazrin quickly looked over her saviour. A girl in her late teens, she wore a long-sleeved orange shirt to signify her place as a member of the zoo’s staff. Her short brown hair was ruffled about, as if she’d walked through a hedge on the way here. There was still a leaf caught in her hair, in fact.

“Hm. A stray animal, you say?” The employee reached down and stroked at Nazrin’s hand, her fingers surprisingly soft. The mouse nuzzled against them, the warmth alien and nostalgic all at once. “Don’t worry, sir. I’ll take care of this for you.”

“You’re gonna stick it in the incinerator, right?” The man spat as he spoke, eyes still locked on Nazrin. “That’ll stop the little rodent from pilfering my stand again.”

The employee closed her eyes for an instant, and when she opened them again they were filled with a newfound disdain. Her grip on Nazrin grew a little tighter.

“Sir, it’s our job to look after these animals, not execute them. If you’re willing to kill another living being that simply needed something to eat, I suggest you move your stand somewhere else.”

She turned on her feet before the man could answer, stomping away from the cages and towards the employee area. Her grip on Nazrin was tight enough to keep the mouse from slipping away, but all things considered Nazrin didn’t even want to escape.

She helped me, Nazrin thought to herself. This human just saved my life.

She had all but given up on humans after what had happened to her master. She’d thought that no-one would ever look out for her again.

Perhaps she had been wrong.

“You alright?” The girl ran her pinky along the length of Nazrin’s tail with a careful stroke. “Don’t worry. Mami-chan’s gonna take good care of you.”

And for what felt like the first time in forever, Nazrin believed that.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 03:32:27 PM by Gregorou Housekanken »

KrackoCloud

• I don't mean to be greedy...
  • ... but white rice is my favorite food.
Re: Dolphin Rider Koishi - Arc 7 (In progress - updates weekly!)
« Reply #550 on: April 22, 2013, 02:08:35 AM »
I haven't read yet but aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #551 on: April 22, 2013, 05:53:48 AM »
Not Kyouko but I'll take it. I swear I thought it was Shizuha at first though!

« Reply #552 on: April 22, 2013, 06:57:13 AM »
Woot, new DRK page~.
I think i should re-read the whole story again... i don't know who was Sakuya and Youmu are talking about....

LaserTurtle

• Master of the lurk
  • *sips tea*
« Reply #553 on: April 22, 2013, 10:16:14 AM »
heh heh heh...

hahahaha...

AHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Spoiler:
sounds of choking and gasping for air

More magical girl hijinks and drama!
Off The Rails [complete!] 1  2 - Sharks jumped: Somewhere between one and all of them
Talking to yourself isn't a sign of madness. Expecting a reply is.
Stare too long into the abyss and the abyss stares back, and then it gets awkward until one of you breaks eye contact.

« Reply #554 on: April 24, 2013, 11:02:20 AM »
Here we go again! /skipsclasstoread

In all seriousness though, the stage has been set once again, and the plot continues. Though, I wonder where our titular heroine is...?

« Reply #555 on: April 24, 2013, 04:04:45 PM »
Evil, evil I say, returning and not letting me know. Simply unforgivable.

Ok, I forgive you.

*Ahem* IT'S BACK! YAAAAAAAY!

Joveus Molai

• Bear the Word, and the Word will bear you.
« Reply #556 on: April 26, 2013, 11:16:50 AM »
Spoiler:
Mamizou as a new Siren? Interesting.... :3

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #557 on: April 26, 2013, 10:58:04 PM »
:D!

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #558 on: April 28, 2013, 06:59:58 PM »
?Whoa. That is one hell of a scar.? Mokou opened her mouth again, but nothing more fluent than that found its way out of her.

Koishi smiled, pulling her pants-leg back down. The mark on her leg had barely faded, but the crippling pain in her knee had been reduced to the occasional dull ache. Nitori had confirmed the mark would stay for life, but otherwise she was fully healed.

?They say every scar tells a story.? Youmu sat on the desk opposite Koishi, looking out the window of the deserted math class. ?I?ve never understood the claim, myself. All my scars ever told me was that my swordplay was lacking.?

?That?s just a lack of imagination.? Sakuya sat a full desk away from her sister. ?I?d have thought all those haikus would have rubbed off on you.? Youmu answered with an icy glare and an awkward silence.

At Koishi?s side, Sango slumped her shoulders. ?Aw, I don?t have any scars yet. Does that mean my rivalry isn?t cool enough, or something??

?It just means you have room to improve,? Koishi said, reaching up to stroke at the dolphin?s fin. Sango?s spirits were lifted almost instantly, and she let out a barely audible phwee in content.

The moment was cut short by the blackboard pulling open, giving them a view of the secrets of Room 495. Nitori stepped out from within, one hand still ruffling at her hair. In the other, she held a paper folder full to the brim with documents.

?Good morning, everyone. Thanks for coming in on such short-? She stopped mid-sentence as she looked around the room. ?Wait, where?s Komachi-san??

?She was preoccupied,? Mokou said, pointing a thumb out the window. ?Something about urgent police business. She didn?t hang around long enough to give any details.?

Nitori frowned. ?I see. I?ll have to bring her up to speed later, then. Thanks again for coming in on such short notice. I assume no-one?s broken anything since they checked out of the hospital??

No-one answered, mainly because no-one was sure whether it was supposed to be a joke. Nitori parsed the silence as a ?no?, starting up her briefing.

?So as I?m sure you?re all aware, all seven Teardrops are accounted for. Five of them, obviously, are ours. The sixth is with Satori-san. And the seventh...? She sighed, the folder flapping as her grip on it tightened. ?It wasn?t on Shou-san?s body when they brought her out from the fire.?

?So it?s missing?? Sakuya tilted her head. ?How can a Teardrop just disappear? Can?t we have Little Miss Dolphin over here do her usual work??

Sango puffed out her cheeks at the pronoun, but managed to maintain a professional air. ?We thought so, too, but the Teardrop?s gone quiet. I felt Shou-san making her wish just before the accident, but since then I haven?t been able to sense anything.?

?Is that normal?? Koishi asked. ?The Teardrop going silent, I mean.?

?Not in the slightest,? Nitori answered. ?The Teardrops may be hidden inside the Sirens, but they?re still artifacts in their own right. Even if the user dies, the Teardrop itself should remain at full power. The only theory I have right now is that it might have been damaged in the fire.?

She looked to Koishi, her expression cold and scientific. ?Koishi-san, you were the last person to see Shou-san. Did you notice any sign of the Teardrop??

Koishi peered upwards, trying to recall the scene of the blaze. It was still an unpleasant memory, but it was one she felt strong enough to examine on her own now. She?d never taken the time to look around Shou?s body, so the image in her head was blurry at best.

?...No, I can?t remember anything. Sorry.?

?Understandable,? Sakuya said. ?I imagine your mind was on other things at the time.?

Youmu folded her arms and grumbled. ?So now what?? she asked. ?We?ve lost our only lead, and now we know there?s no point in searching for the other Sirens.?

?Actually, you?re wrong there.? Nitori stepped behind the teacher?s desk, dropping her folder onto it and opening it up. ?We?ve still got one lead to chase up on.?

The Sirens peered over the desk, each looking at the array of papers that had slipped out of the folder. On top of them was a monochrome photograph of a dozen men and women in lab-coats. Rune-like symbols hung in the corner, words from a language no human could speak.

?This is from the Ravager project, isn?t it?? Koishi asked.

?That?s right.? Nitori?s voice grew solemn. She pointed at one of the shorter members of the group, her face almost entirely engulfed by a pair of wide-brimmed glasses. ?That?s me, right there. I was a slow bloomer, all things considered. I didn?t hit my growth spurt until I was well over seventy. But that?s not what matters.?

Her finger drifted slightly upwards, pointing at the scientist standing behind Nitori. ?This is what you should be looking at.?

The woman Nitori was pointing at was much less interested in the shot than her companions, staring off into the distance with a clipboard in her hand. Every curve and mark on her body was new to Koishi - every facial feature, every strand of hair, every little speck on her labcoat.

Yet in spite of that, Koishi couldn?t help but feel she had seen this woman before. At her side, Mokou?s face was twisted in a similar look of bewilderment, but the Konpaku sisters were simply staring blankly at the page.

Nitori looked out at the Sirens, waiting for one of them to speak on her behalf. When no-one did, she sighed and filled in the blanks herself.

?This was my work partner during the creation of Project 046. Her name was Leviathan.?

Koishi?s breath hung in her throat. Leviathan. The name the Mindcoil had used for its master.

?Levi was a strange one,? Nitori continued. ?She was a late addition to the project. It didn?t take us long to realise she was a bit...anti-social.? She slid the photograph away, and underneath it was another picture of the youkai. Again Leviathan stared away from the camera, with her hands in her pockets and an overwhelming air of wanting to be somewhere else.

?I imagine she was a wonder to work with,? Sakuya said, rolling her eyes.

?Actually, she was better than you would think.? Nitori pulled out a third picture, this time of Leviathan seated at a desk. A petri dish sat on top of a magic circle, and the researcher was examining it with intense care.

?When it came to the work itself, Levi was a genius. Better than me, in fact, and that?s something I don?t admit often. I heard she was juggling a bunch of personal projects along with her work on 046, but she never seemed tired for an instant.

?So I wondered - if Levi was so brilliant, why wasn?t she on the project to begin with? Why wasn?t she the first person Yukari Yakumo called on?? She bit her lip. ?So I did a little reading into her history. What I found was unpleasant.?

Another picture. This time it was a family photo, with a young Leviathan sitting in the arms of two elderly parents.

?Levi was a great scientist, but she was a daughter first and foremost. Her parents were in their twilight years, and working on the project would put her too far away from them. If she?d had her say, she would have never built the Ravager at all.?

Nitori clenched her teeth, adding the family photo to those she?d already discarded. ?Then the humans forced her hand.?

Koishi?s stomach dropped. The next picture was a battlefield, countless bodies strewn about. From this distance, it was impossible to tell one side of the conflict from the other.

?The War of Cataclysm struck her homeland around that time,? Nitori continued. ?The humans employed a scorched earth strategy, destroying the land as they swept through the country. While Leviathan?s family avoided the conflict, the lakes and rivers they called home were poisoned by the enemy forces. Her parents fell ill, and...?

Nitori didn?t need to finish the sentence. The following silence said everything for her. Koishi hung her head, holding back the urge to vomit.

?I think it took its toll on her,? Nitori said after a pause. ?Levi wasn?t just anti-social, she was verging on unhinged. She would snap at the slightest irritations and work for far longer than she should have. She would stay in the lab all night when the rest of us went to sleep. Her conviction was frightening, and there were rumours that some of her other products were even crueler than what we were designing.?

?So why didn?t you tell anyone?? Sakuya asked, her eyes quietly judging the kappa. ?Trusting someone like that with a weapon like the Ravager was just asking for a disaster.?

Nitori sighed, long and hard, as if some vital force was seeping out of her lungs. ?I ask myself that question every time I go to bed, Sakuya-san. But the fact is even if I had raised a complaint, no-one would have listened. Levi was the project?s star performer. The higher-ups would never risk losing her, no matter how unstable she was.?

Mokou scratched at her head. ?OK, I?m missing something here. You told us this was gonna be a lead, but how does this Leviathan chick connect to what?s happening right now??

Nitori managed a small grin. ?I was waiting for you to ask that.? She pulled away the picture of the battlefield, revealing the last of her papers. ?This should explain for you.?

The phoenix raised an eyebrow as she glanced over the last file, her face slowly engulfed by the revelation. There were a dozen pictures, starting with Leviathan in the top left corner and making gradual changes. They were simple shifts - a moved cheekbone or a tucked in lip - but as they piled up the face started to take on a very different look.

One that Koishi was much more familiar with.

?Nagae-san...!?

?Right.? Nitori nodded. ?Levi disappeared soon after the project was completed. I thought she had died during the conflict, but after what Koishi-san told me there?s no denying it.?

?That?s quite a jump, isn?t it?? Youmu said. ?The two don?t even look alike at a first glance. And I don?t know much about youkai culture, but I doubt Leviathan is the sort of name you only see once.?

?Maybe, but it?s not just the name I?m working from.? Nitori brought back the picture of Leviathan stooped over her research. ?This is the only woman I know who could have it in her to make something as dangerous as the Mindcoil. There?s no doubt in my mind, Youmu-san.?

Koishi gripped at her head. Their greatest enemy had been in front of her all this time, and she hadn?t even noticed. All those times the nurse had asked to talk with her, to discuss her problems - they?d all been lies, an excuse to get Koishi on her own. She felt betrayed at her very core.

?Kinda sucks that we didn?t figure it out sooner, though,? Sango said, one hand behind her head. ?I mean, she?s been missing since the fire at the orphanage. How else are we supposed to find her??

?I?ve been thinking about that,? Nitori said, cradling her fingers together. ?Levi?s been pretty thorough at covering her tracks, but there?s one loose end left for us to follow.?

Sakuya?s eyes lit up. ?Morichika.?

?Correct. The two of them have to be working together. There?s no other way to explain how Morichika?s business expanded so suddenly, or how the Claw managed to find you and Komachi-san so quickly.?

?So the plan is to find the gangster, and press him for what he knows?? Mokou smirked, smacking a fist into her palm. ?I like the sound of this.?

?Actually, I?d like to be the first to get my hands on him.? Sakuya smiled eerily. ?He did try to murder me, after all, so I think it?s only fair I get some sort of payback.?

?Sorry, but it?ll be none of you.?

A voice from outside the room silenced the Sirens instantly. The door slid to the side, and a disheveled Komachi lumbered into the room.

?Komachi-san?? Koishi reached out to put a hand on her shoulder. ?What ha-?

?It?s a long story. There?s no time for it.? Komachi?s eyes shone with desperate conviction as she turned towards the Konpaku sisters. ?I need you two to come down to the precinct with me.?

?What for?? Youmu asked. ?We have other things to worry about right now-?

?Not any more.? Nitori was the first one to put the pieces together. She gripped at her temples and growled. ?The Claw got to Morichika first, didn?t they??

Komachi nodded solemnly. ?The cops found him dead this morning. Took a bullet right between the eyes.?

For a few seconds, everyone stared at Komachi in shocked silence.

?Well,? Sakuya managed, scratching at the back of her neck. ?That changes everything, doesn?t it??

-----

By the time Komachi arrived on the scene, the officials had begun their departure. An unmarked van pulled out of the driveway, presumably containing the body of the deceased. Two cop cars covered it from both sides, accompanying it on the long journey to the city morgue.

Her eyes were locked on the van as it faded into a speck on the horizon. How many hours had she squandered trying to pin a crime to Rinnosuke Morichika? She had spent weeks working with Sumire, tirelessly investigating and planning their strategy - and someone had put all of their work to waste with a single bullet.

?Good riddance, I say.? Sakuya stood shoulder-to-shoulder with Komachi, her eyes following the lawyer?s. ?A poetic end for a man who made his fortune in blood money.?

Komachi?s blood boiled. Sometimes she struggled to believe that she and Sakuya were on the same side. She opened her mouth to argue, but to her surprise Youmu spoke up first.

?That isn?t how the law works, Miyo. He should have had a chance to repent for his crimes.?

?And do you think that?s what would happen?? Sakuya?s voice was harsh and cold. ?Morichika wasn?t the sort of man to be weighed down by guilt. Would prison really be a punishment for him??

Komachi growled. If there was one thing that bugged her, it was kids who thought they knew the law better than the lawmakers. Even if prison was less than Morichika deserved, once they started making exceptions it would be hard to stop.

The air hanging over the trio as they stepped onto the crime scene was painful. Komachi had assumed the sisters would have kissed and made up by now. If she known otherwise, she?d have asked Mokou to come along instead.

Here?s hoping they keep it to themselves, at least.

?Delivery boy called it in this morning,? she said, eager to focus on the task at hand rather than the morality of the deed. ?He showed up to bring Morichika his daily grocery supplies. There was no answer at the doorbell, and he saw the body from the window.?

?Does he have an alibi?? Sakuya asked.

?Airtight. His employers vouch for him. The neighbours are in the clear, too - most of them didn?t even realise the house was occupied. No-one with a motive or history with Morichika, either.?

The house itself was verging on claustrophobic. Komachi?s head nearly smacked into the ceiling as she moved into the doorway, and the corridors were too narrow for her to raise her arms. The lack of decoration verged on depressing, and she found nothing worth looking at until she reached the scene of the crime.

The air in the lounge was cold, as if something vital had ebbed out along with the death of its owner. Two chairs sat next to the door, facing each other. Blood had dried into the fabric of one of the seats, an ugly brown mark that no amount of scrubbing would remove. In the distance lay the shattered remnants of a champagne bottle.

?The killer was nice enough to leave the gun behind,? Komachi said. ?They?re checking it out at the precinct right now, but I wouldn?t keep my hopes up.?

Youmu furrowed her brow. ?Why?s that? Won?t there be prints on it??

?Of course not.? Sakuya answered. ?Unless we?re dealing with an absolute moron, they wouldn?t risk leaving behind something that incriminating.?

The swordsman growled. ?Then why would they leave it behind??

?To prove that they can.? Komachi buried her hands in her pockets. ?It?s a statement, Youmu-san. The killer wants us to know that we?re not gonna find ?em.?

That was enough to keep them quiet. Komachi basked in the sweet silence as she stepped across the broken glass, towards the back of the room.

?Anyway, onto the real reason we?re here.? She pointed at a low-tech computer was tucked away in the distant corner, the processor still chugging onwards.

?Morichika?s computer?? Youmu asked. ?Surely that?s the first thing the forensic team would have looked at.?

?Of course it was,? Komachi said. ?They?d have taken it down to the precinct if they could.? She reached under the desk, grabbing at where the tower should have been. Rather than grabbing the computer itself, she pulled out a wire that slipped into a hole in the wall. ?Problem is we?d have to take apart half the wall to do that.?

?Sounds philistine,? Sakuya said, pursing her lips. ?I expected something a little more refined.?

?Well it worked, didn?t it?? The lawyer tapped a button on the keyboard, and the screen flickered to life. A window popped up, demanding an ID and password from her. A counter on the bottom of the screen reminded her she had three attempts before the whole system locked itself down.

?And here?s the one thing keeping us from accessing Morichika?s files.? Komachi motioned to the computer with an almost dramatic flourish. ?We?ve got no clue about the ID or the password, and the precinct?s cracking technology is too hefty to haul all the way out here.?

Sakuya snorted. ?The entire Gensouto police force, outsmarted by a login screen and some drywall.?

?But why are we out here, then?? Youmu asked. She stared at the computer with a puzzled glance as she scratched her head. ?I doubt Miyo has any leads, and I...mother didn?t see the point in computers, so I?ve never even used one.?

Komachi reached into her pocket, pulling out a bright red pen drive. ?Let?s say I?ve got a little bit of extra help.?

She inserted the drive into a port on the side of the monitor. The pen lit up, and another humming noise echoed from inside the machine. A tinny rendition of God Save The Queen rang out from the speakers as a tiny figure walked onto the screen. Its long robe dragged behind it as it adjusted the crown on its head.

[WELCOME!] it declared, a bubble of text appearing above it. [THANK YOU FOR RUNNING PRINCESS KOTOHIME?S LOGIN-BUSTER.]

Sakuya?s lips curled upwards at the sight of the sprite. Youmu simply looked dumbfounded as the tiny Kotohime walked up to the login window, prodding and shaking at it. A progress bar ran along the bottom of the screen, building up gradually as the password began to fill itself in.

?It?s a little memento my hacker friend gave me a few months back,? Komachi said. ?A present for good behaviour, she called it. Really it just meant she was grateful I didn?t report her to the authorities for some of her more questionable deeds.?

?Impressive.? Sakuya folded her arms, smiling wryly. ?I imagine this little helper of yours is illegal??

?Absolutely,? Komachi answered, with brutal honesty. ?I?ll trust you two to keep quiet about it.?

Sakuya shrugged in acceptance, but Youmu looked conflicted at best. Her face flashed an angry red, but the swordsman clearly knew there was no point in objecting. She trudged across the room in a half-hearted search for evidence in order to put some distance between herself and her companions.

?Allow me to apologise on her behalf,? Sakuya murmured. ?It?s me she?s frustrated with, not you. Don?t worry, I?ll get her to listen to reason eventually.?

Komachi tensed herself. She hadn?t wanted to get involved in the sisters? dispute. She eyed the progress bar on the screen, silently willing it to move along faster.

?Don?t act like you?re comin? out of this smelling like roses, Sakuya-san. Maybe she?s stubborn, but she does have a point.?

?About what?? Sakuya stuck up her nose. ?That we should kindly ask Morichika?s corpse if it?s okay to look through his files??

Komachi looked back at the maid. ?You?re enjoying this, aren?t you??

Sakuya flinched. ?Excuse me??

?I saw the way you smiled when I pulled out my little gadget. You were going on about how all this snooping around was necessary back at the hospital, but when we actually do it you?re giddy about poking at other people?s shit.?

Sakuya?s brow dropped. ?Is it unusual for me to take pleasure in my work??

?If your doctor giggled every time he cut you open, how comfortable would you be around him??

That was enough to silence Sakuya on the matter. She sank into thought, eyes occasionally shifting backwards to the still-sulking Youmu.

?So what do you suggest?? she asked, looking genuinely puzzled. ?Should I try to keep my opinions on the matter to myself??

?Maybe try to remind yourself that even if he was a monster, Morichika was a person too,? Komachi answered. ?Getting that excited about meddlin? in someone?s affairs isn?t good, no matter how much they deserve it.?

Sakuya nodded, and Komachi could practically see her taking notes in her head. The girl was a little off in the head, Komachi thought to herself - if things had been slightly different, maybe Sakuya would have been an enemy rather than an accomplice.

Luckily, she didn?t have to dwell on that thought for long. Another painful beep emanated from the computer.

[CONGRATULATIONS!] the tiny Kotohime declared. [PASSWORD CRACKED. ACCESS GRANTED.] The princess bowed, waltzing off screen with a sultry step. Komachi couldn?t believe it was possible for a pile of pixels to look so smug. The login window disappeared, and half a dozen browser windows appeared in its wake.

?Eh?? Youmu approached the computer again now that it was usable. ?Why are there windows already open??

?He must have been using the computer just before he died,? Sakuya said. ?He didn?t get the chance to log off, I assume.?

?All the better for us, then,? Komachi said, as she started to skim through the windows. ?We?ll get a good idea of what he was doing in his last moments.?

The first few windows were nothing interesting: articles about secret services, government conspiracies and spy rings. Most likely they were what Morichika looked up as a pastime.

It was the final window that took the breath from Komachi?s lungs.

?Wha-?

Staring her in the face was a simple email applet, still logged in. One message sat inside Morichika?s outbox, already sent out to over a hundred users.

Sumire Raikoji is becoming a nuisance. I?d really appreciate it if someone took her aside for a little talk.

-Kourin

-----

Sumire took a deep breath, letting the smell of fresh coffee float into her nostrils. The one good thing this place had going for it was that the coffee machine knew how to do its job. She took a long sip at her drink as she lowered herself onto her seat, bringing her monitor back to life with the click of a mouse. She closed her eyes for a few seconds, letting the caffeine work its way into her bloodstream before she delved back into her work.

She?d spent the last hour putting together a clumsy spider map of Morichika and his associates. The man himself was in the center of the graph, with every other face connected to him by a long black tendril of a line. It was very similar to the map she?d been using for her earlier investigations on the man, in her attempts to bring him to justice.

As of this morning, though, she?d had to construct a map for a different purpose. The question wasn?t ?Who?ll be willing to testify?? anymore. It was ?Who?d be willing to kill the biggest kingpin in Gensouto??

Another long sip at the cup. It was difficult to even make headway on a case like this. Morichika was a man with many friends, but in his line of business trusting an ally simply meant he?d be willing to stab them in the front rather than the back. Any of his lackeys might have done the deed in the hopes of taking his place on top of the pile.

But could any of them have done the deed this precisely? From what she had seen of Morichika?s associates, most of them left the thinking to their superior. Could any of them have made it in and out of the safehouse without leaving a trace of evidence - and be so confident in the fact that they would leave behind the gun to taunt the authorities?

Sumire shook her head. This didn?t add up. There was a piece missing from the puzzle, a link to Morichika that she hadn?t managed to find. She quickly added a new cord to those already spreading from the victim, filling it with a giant question mark.

Yes. Keep going. A voice in the back of her head whispered in encouragement. She took a long swig at her coffee as she let her fingers fly across the keys.

Finances? This was another question Sumire had asked herself recently - Morichika?s operations had magnified considerably in the last few months, larger than he should have been able to handle. Had this new mystery figure been a new source of income for him? If so, had they killed him to put an end to the deal?

She scribbed down the word foreigner beneath that. She?d researched every big name in the Japanese underworld, but none of them had even acknowledged Gensouto of late. If there was a name she hadn?t considered, it had to be from outside of Japan. She wasn?t sure who?d be interested in such a backwater city, but whoever it was they?d been willing to invest heavily.

She pulled up a database of foreign entrants to the country. A recent law had enforced mandatory fingerprinting on all non-Japanese residents, so it would simply be a matter of checking recent visitors and their histories. It?d be slow and methodical, but if her suspicions were correct this would almost certainly lead her to her criminal.

Sumire?s brain felt like it was on fire. She was jumping from one link to the next without stopping for an instant. The coffee was partially responsible for that, but more than anything Morichika?s death had struck her hard and deep. The man she?d spent months of her life on catching, murdered seemingly out of nowhere? There was no way she would let that pass.

She was about to start on the search when her cell phone went off.

?What now?? she muttered. She?d already had enough bad news today. She picked up the phone and put it to her ear without bothering to check who was calling. ?Raikoji. Can this wait? I?m in the middle of-?

?Sumire. Where are you??

Komachi?s voice echoed with worry on the other end of the line. Sumire lost track of the rest of her sentence.

?Uh...I?m at work. Why do you ask??

?You might wanna take a trip down to the precinct. Right now. And stay off the main streets if you can.?

Sumire felt the bottom of her stomach fall out. ?Let me guess. There?s a price on my head??

The line went silent for a long while. That was as good as a yes.

?I?m sorry, kid,? Komachi said. ?I should have known you were getting a little too close for comfort.?

Sumire felt strangely numb. Even with all her prying into the lives of criminals, she had always felt disconnected from the grittier affairs. Now she was finally reaping what she had sown for months - an army of thugs who?d be all too willing to slaughter her.

?I figure the higher-ups are gonna play it quiet for a few weeks,? Komachi continued. ?They?ll try to cover up Morichika?s death for as long as they can. When word gets out, though, loyalty will probably start to falter. You shouldn?t need to hide for more than a month, two at the very most.?

Komachi?s voice was gruff from frustration. Sumire wasn?t quite sure who she was so angry at. Maybe their mystery hitman. Maybe Morichika. Maybe herself.

?What about the investigation?? Sumire asked, finding her voice. ?We?re still no closer to finding out who killed him-?

?I?ve got it under control.?

Five words were enough to shut Sumire up entirely. It was a big claim - almost impossible given the evidence they had to work with - but Komachi spoke it with such force that Sumire couldn?t help but buy into it. She nodded along, a weight falling from her chest as she did.

?Alright, then.? She gave her computer another glance, the massive question mark still taunting her. ?Whoever did it, make sure they get what they deserve, alright??

Komachi chuckled, low and dry. ?Trust me, Sumire, these people messed with the wrong woman. Now go hand yourself in before I have to figure out who killed you, too.?

?Yes, ma?am.?

Sumire hung up, the dialing tone feeling long and final. She heaved out a sigh as she slipped the phone back into her pocket, giving her computer one last glance before shutting it down.

?Good luck, Komachi. You?ll need it.?

She took the coffee cup with her, intent on getting her money?s worth as she made her way out of the court offices. By the time she?d arrived at the station, the drink was cold and rank.

?I?m really going to miss that coffee machine, aren?t I??

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #559 on: April 28, 2013, 08:50:04 PM »
Tch, that was an awfully nice update.

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #560 on: April 28, 2013, 10:28:38 PM »
That was quite the interesting update~

Wonder where this'll end up heading next.

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

« Reply #561 on: April 29, 2013, 02:24:21 AM »
Damn Rou, I was wrong about Rinnosuke.

... Or was I?

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #562 on: May 05, 2013, 04:24:19 PM »
All things considered, Nazrin fell into the flow of her new life surprisingly easily. Mami had tried to get her added to the local rat exhibit, but apparently the odds of her passing some unpleasant street disease to the other animals was too high. Unfazed, the zookeeper had taken in Nazrin herself, keeping the mouse in a little cage on her desk.

Of course it wasn?t the same as what she was used to. The pellets Mami fed her were probably a lot better for her health, but they lacked the distinct flavour that the old ones did. Her cage was a little smaller than she remembered, and her new owner had a much more hectic schedule than her old one. If she?d simply been given over, these little differences would have had her longing for her old home.

But that wasn?t an option now, and knowing that made her appreciate this new safe haven even more.

Mami was also strangely similar to her old master. She approached life with an immense vigor, never seeming to lose heart in her work. She tended to even the most menial of duties with enthusiasm, from feeding the animals to cleaning up their messes.

Shou had held that same passion, too, but she had rarely been given the chance to make anything of it. It was only in tending to Nazrin that she?d been able to show her compassion for other living things, the compassion that had led her to charge into a burning building and-

No. Stop.

Nazrin cut the thought short before she found herself mired in its grip. The past was over. There was no use lamenting. All she could do was start again from here.

?You alright in there??

Mami knocked on the side of the cage, curiously eying its inhabitant. The girl had an almost precognitive sense for reading Nazrin?s emotions, more accurate than most humans could even manage with each other.

?Hmm...I think you could do with some fresh air. Being stuck in that cage all day probably isn?t good for you.?

Mami grabbed a belt from a nearby closet and buckled it around her waist. Slowly, carefully, she picked up the small cage Nazrin called home and clipped it to the belt, checking thrice over that there was no chance of it falling away.

?I?ll try not to rustle you about too much. Thank me later, ?kay??

Nazrin nodded without thinking about it. A chance to see the world beyond these four walls would never go amiss. She curled her tail up as Mami pulled on a long jacket, hiding the cage from view so they wouldn?t get the attention of passersby.

Nazrin had expected more opposition, but as Mami stepped out into the crowd no-one even stopped to question why she was weighing herself down with a coat that was far too heavy for the warm weather. It wasn?t like the cage was even that well hidden - one side pressed right against the coat, so there was a huge bulge in the jacket. Nevertheless, Mami walked out without anyone even giving her a second glance.

In almost no time at all they were outside, the sun?s brilliant light shining through to catch Nazrin in the eyes again. At least it was only coming from one direction - Nazrin could only see forwards, the rest of her vision blocked by the jacket. Considering the trouble they?d be in if she was seen, she figured it was a fair compromise.

?Hmm...I wonder how everyone is today.?

Mami pondered to herself, making long hums as she barged through the crowd of visitors. Was she talking to herself, to Nazrin, to someone else? It was hard to tell. And who was the ?everyone? she was referring to?

The answer to that question came soon afterward, when Mami stopped in front of the nearest exhibit.

?Morning, girls! How?re you today??

She poked her head between the bars of the lioness cage, immediately earning the attention of its two inhabitants. Nazrin squealed, her panic senses flaring up, but the creatures made no attempt to approach. Instead, one growled in apparent content while her partner lifted her front paws as if to shrug her shoulders.

?Don?t tell me they aren?t feeding you right?? Mami frowned, looking at the unhappier of the two. ?You?ve still got that bug from earlier, don?t you? I?ll have to ask the doctor to give that another look.?

The young tigress nodded. A low, soft purr began to rise from her throat as she rolled back onto the floor of her cage, falling quickly into a nap.

?See you tomorrow, then!? Her work apparently done, Mami pulled away from the cage and moved on to the next, repeating this process with every exhibit she came across.

Nazrin watched Mami?s work in awe. This ability to read the feelings of animals wasn?t just a talent, it was verging on superhuman. Maybe it was one of those innate magical traits? She?d heard of humans tapping into their latent powers without realising it. No other answer really made sense to her.

She wasn?t the only one paying attention, either. A crowd was starting to form around Mami, the audience applauding her as she moved from one cage to the next. Nazrin imagined an employee like that had to be a big selling point to the zoo; no wonder Mami?s workmates were willing to cut her some slack.

Then, in the midst of cheering, another voice spoke up.

?She?s here, right? The girl that talks to animals.?

Accompanying the voice was the sound of other members of the crowd being pushed aside. The oddly business-like voice came closer, a path quickly opening up to make way for its owner.

As Mami turned around to face the source, Nazrin swore she heard the human gasp.

Standing ahead of the rest was a slender young woman in a close-cut black suit. Her short blonde hair was carefully kept in place, and even her fingernails had been preened to a sharp edge. She pulled a badge from her pocket and flashed it at the crowd.

?Agent Indigo, from the FBI. I?m here to ask you a few questions, ma?am. Is there anywhere private we can speak??

The FBI? Wasn?t that one of those foreign human police agencies? What were they doing here, and what could they possibly want? She looked up at her new master, hoping Mami?s expression would give her some idea what was going on.

To her dismay, Mami was sweating bullets.

?Uh...I?m not sure what you want, but you?ve got the wrong girl.?

?Really?? Agent Indigo stepped forward, her eyes shifting from bored to suspicious. ?Perhaps I?m paranoid, but I?ve never seen an innocent woman get so anxious about a simple questioning.?

As the agent stepped forward, Mami stepped back. Nazrin was pulled along, the cage rocking about as the steps grew more frantic. Her mind shook about along with it, the new routine she had fallen into torn apart in an instant.

?Now, let?s not make an issue out of this...? Mami tried to shift to the side, but every move she made was matched by the agent. Eventually she found herself pinned against the wall of the cage with no way to run.

?You?re the one making an issue, ma?am.? Agent Indigo pulled a set of handcuffs from her belt. ?Now come with me before I have to arrest you.?

Mami looked about. She could retreat no further, and she wouldn?t be able to outrun her assailant. There was no way for her to evade capture.

Or so Nazrin had thought.

?Well, sorry, officer.? Mami smirked. ?I?ve got an urgent appointment to make, so I?ll be going now.?

She ran a hand down her own body, and in an instant she was gone, and Nazrin had vanished along with her. Or perhaps ?vanished? was too strong a word - they hadn?t moved an inch, but they had completely disappeared from view. As Nazrin looked down on herself, she couldn?t even make out her own nose.

Almost immediately the crowd erupted into gasps and murmurs. Indigo cursed, lunging forward and grabbing at the space that Mami had previously inhabited. She closed her fingers on empty air as Mami plunged headfirst into the crowd. Caught by surprise, the audience crumpled as if they were made of paper.

Even when they had cleared the mass of onlookers, Nazrin was still carried along by her unseen companion. The cage rocked wildly, pushing the mouse into both its front and back faces. Even if she couldn?t see the bars anymore, her face hurt enough to confirm they were definitely still there.

Her mind was racing on almost as quickly. A million questions came to her, and she had no clue where to begin with them. And even then, could she ask questions like that of a human?

No. That was wrong. Mami wasn?t human. She?d just pulled off a vanishing act that would make any conjurer green with envy. She looked human, she acted human - but she wasn?t.

Mami kept running until they?d made it all the way out of the zoo, coming to a stop in a back alley near the entrance. She ran a hand up her body, her form returning as it moved upwards. As it ran up her waist, Nazrin reappeared as well, as did the cage bars that surrounded her.

?Jeez, that was close. Didn?t think she was on to me.?

Mami unclipped the cage and laid it down on a pile of cardboard boxes in the corner of the alley. She wiped a layer of sweat from her brow and leaned against the opposite wall as she caught her breath.

It didn?t take her long to notice the two beady eyes locked on her.

?Oh, right. You saw all of that, didn?t you??

Nazrin nodded. If she weren?t stuck in this cage, she would have taken on her youkai form and demanded answers herself. Mami sighed.

?I?ve got a lot of explaining to do, don?t I??

Mami reached backwards, patting a hand against the small of her back. A large, furry tail began to grow from it, with alternating rings of brown and white. She did the same with her hair, and two animal ears poked out from underneath.

?Name?s Mamizou Futatsuiwa. Tanuki youkai. Pleasure to make your acquaintance.?

-----

Nazrin couldn?t remember the last time she?d had a conversation with another youkai. It had never concerned her: even before the master had taken her in she had never been particularly social, and spending most of the day in a cage limited her discussion partners considerably.

Now she felt like her mind was full to the brim with questions. She batted at the door of her cage in a silent demand.

?Ah, sorry.? Mamizou murmured an apology, kneeling down and undoing the latch on the cage. The door creaked open, and the mouse scuttered out onto the murky gravel.

Nazrin closed her eyes, willing herself into her youkai form. She had never felt comfortable in it - she wasn?t used to seeing the world from so high up, and she felt a horrible chill run along her body. She looked down on her naked form, already missing her familiar coat of hair.

?We?d better get you into something less revealing,? Mamizou said. She reached into a nearby trashcan, digging out an old dress and flinging it in Nazrin?s direction. It was far too large for her and covered in tears, but at least it was relatively clean. Nazrin slipped it on without complaint.

?Sorry for dumping all of this on you,? the tanuki continued. ?There?s a camera in my room, so I can?t really flaunt this at will.? She pulled her tail around, stroking at it as the hair bristled. ?I thought it?d be best to put you in along with the other mice, miss...uh, do you have a name??

?...Nazrin.? The word creaked out of her throat, her vocal chords feeling rusty from lack of use. ?Just Nazrin.?

?Nazrin. Right.? Mamizou took a seat on the pile of boxes. She pulled a pair of reading glasses from her pocket and slipped them on, for seemingly no reason other than to look more studious. ?Is that your first name??

?No.? Nazrin shook her head. She couldn?t even remember her first name anymore. She?d thrown it away the moment Shou had taken her in. ?My master gave it to me.?

?...Ah.? Mamizou bit her lip, her tail drooping. She was smart enough not to press the point, falling silent to give Nazrin time to ask her own questions.

?How did you do that?? She pointed to her own ears and tail. ?I thought youkai weren?t able to hide their features.?

?They can?t, normally.? Mamizou nodded to herself, a smug grin rising to her face. ?Took me a lot of practice - not gonna say how much, because I can?t think about my age without feeling old.?

She laughed it off, but Nazrin?s beady eyes saw past the facade. There was something about this woman the mouse still couldn?t place, even knowing that she was a youkai now.

?You alright, Nazzie?? Mamizou stepped forward and looked down on the mouse, still half a head taller than her. ?You look pretty miserable. Did I do something wrong when I was taking care of you??

?No, nothing like that.? Nazrin shook her head, resting her chin in her palm and sighing. She slumped back and sat in the corner of the alley. ?It just felt good to know a human still cared about me.?

It was only when she thought on it that Nazrin felt the hole forming in her gut. She?d used Mami as a stand-in for her old master, only to find that the zookeeper was anything but human. The wounds she had sewn shut were beginning to open again.

Mamizou frowned, sitting next to Nazrin and running a hand along the mouse?s tail. ?Nice ribbon.? She stroked at the silky yellow fabric that was an order of magnitude cleaner than the rest of Nazrin?s outfit. ?A present from your master??

?No.? Nazrin paused. ?I think.?

?You think??

?I don?t remember where it came from.? Nazrin grumbled, frustrated with her own answer. ?I just woke up one day and I was wearing it. But...it reminds me of her.?

She brought her knees up and buried her face in them. She had been able to forget when she had to struggle to survive. She?d even been able to forget when another human had taken her in. But now the memories were flooding back, wracking her brain like a cannonball.

The smoke still hung in her nostrils. The flames lashed at her arms. And for an instant, as she closed her eyes, she saw her master?s lifeless body on the floor.

She?d have drowned in her own rumination if Mamizou hadn?t embraced her.

?It?s alright. You?re not alone anymore.?

Somehow, the tanuki understood even though Nazrin hadn?t said a word. Nazrin leaned into her, sniffling for a moment until the feeling passed.

?Feeling better?? Mamizou patted her on the head. It was condescending, but the sentiment behind it made up for that.

?I?m fine.? The mouse rubbed at her face, refusing to be seen with tears on her cheeks. She broke away from Mamizou and rose back to her feet, feeling revitalised as she took a long, deep breath.

?Still, I think you should appreciate how lucky you?ve been,? Mamizou said. ?A lot of the animals at the zoo would be jealous of the life you?ve led.?

?Jealous?? Nazrin?s tail swung about behind her. ?Why would they be jealous? They spend their whole lives being looked after by humans without a care in the world.?

Mamizou sucked in air through her teeth. ?So you don?t know, then? Well, if you?ve had a good owner all your life, I understand why you?d be in the dark.?

Nazrin felt a chill of foreboding echo through her bones. When she?d lived on the streets, before she?d been taken in by her master, a life at the zoo seemed almost like paradise. She would never have to scavenge for scraps again, and there would be attendants and doctors to tend to every need. Perhaps that thought had been too idyllic.

?It?s not that simple, is it?? she whispered, not sure if she wanted to know the answer to her own question. Mamizou replied with a slow, solemn shake of her head.

?It?d be great if the humans did their job. The problem is that a lot of them are just in it for the money. They don?t really care about the animals they?re looking after, and they cut corners whenever they can. I?ve seen some of the youkai go for days without being fed, and the medical care is almost as bad.?

?...I see.? Nazrin kept her response simple and neutral, unsure how she was expected to react. Sympathy for the other youkai? Guilt over how easy her life had been in comparison? Anger over how her people had been mistreated by their supposed caretakers? All of these emotions swirled about inside her, but they mixed together into a murky goop that flooded her brain.

?So that?s why you?re here, then?? she said, choosing to ask questions rather than ponder answers. ?To look after the youkai, because the humans don?t.?

?Got it in one.? Mamizou winked. ?It?s a tough job, but it?s not like anyone else is going to do it. The youkai can?t even cry for help - not without giving away the whole ?magic? thing, anyway.?

Nazrin nodded. The story added up, except for the one factor that had torn their little field trip apart.

?So who was that woman who wanted to question you??

Mamizou went quiet and motionless for a moment. Nazrin saw something dark flash over her eyes behind the glasses.

?It?s a long story,? the tanuki said, her ears flopping downwards. ?The short version is that I did something she didn?t like, and she?s never quite forgiven me for it. Rest assured, it wasn?t an interrogation she wanted to pull me aside for.?

The answer was nowhere near satisfactory, but the dullness in Mamizou?s eyes showed she?d said all she would on the matter. Nazrin sighed, taking little relief in the knowledge she wasn?t the only one with problems to contend with.

?So what will you do now?? the mouse asked. ?You can?t go back.?

?I can?t, can I?? Mamizou rose to her feet again, pacing up and down the alley as she sank into thought. ?Maybe if I...no, that won?t work. What about-? She snapped her fingers as her face lit up in revelation. ?That?s it!?

?What?s it?? Nazrin asked.

Mamizou teetered over to Nazrin, giddy from nerves and excitement?. ?Right, so this is going to sound a little crazy, but hear me out before you say anything.? She clasped her hands together.

?How would you like to help me organise a breakout??

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #563 on: May 05, 2013, 05:52:40 PM »
Oh lord.

This can only turn out awesomely.

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #565 on: May 12, 2013, 11:44:34 AM »
Ah, so that’s how it works.

Mokou looked up at the monitor in understanding, trying to commit everything she saw to memory. To her fellow Sirens it would have looked like an unintelligible batch of letters, but their true meaning called out to her alone.

“What’re you doing in there, Mokou-san?”

The wall shifted to the side as Nitori stepped into her own secret compartment. Mokou swirled around in the chair, making no attempt to conceal her deeds.

“Just studying, that’s all.” She pointed up at the symbols flashing on the computer screen. “Didn’t realise this computer of yours was so packed with info.”

“Most people would have asked for permission,” Nitori said.

“We’re teammates, aren’t we? What’s yours is mine.” Mokou shrugged. “Besides, be glad it’s me and not Sakuya-san. She’d have probably poked through your personal files in search of blackmail material.”

Nitori made no attempt to argue against that, instead looking up at the monitor. Mokou watched her face, noting that even the kappa needed a few seconds to comprehend what she was looking at.

“This is alchemy, isn’t it?”

“That’s what you call it?” Mokou said. “That doesn’t sound right to me. Gives me the mental image of an old guy in a stupid hat turning lead into gold.”

“That’s what they’re aiming to do, though,” Nitori answered, taking a seat on a nearby crate. “It’s the study of combining mundane chemistry with magical charms, and creating something greater than the sum of the two.”

Mokou nodded. She couldn’t deny that was exactly what she was trying to accomplish. The word still rubbed her the wrong way, though. It made it sound like she was cheating, as if alchemy was a shortcut used to skip all of the hard work. As she’d quickly learned from her study, it was a subject as complex as the two sciences that made up its base.

“Still, you’re already into some rather complex papers.” Nitori gave a small smile of approval. “You have a natural aptitude for this, Mokou-san.”

“It’s not an aptitude. I just did a lot of work. And when you’ve got your head around chemistry, the magical side of stuff looks a lot more reasonable.”

The discovery had surprised Mokou at first. She had figured that magic had no underlying foundation, that it was wild and unpredictable. The truth was the polar opposite of that - every charm, every spell, every incantation obeyed a long and strenuous line of laws and constants. She had only been able to take a quick primer in the time she’d had - to gain a full understanding of the subject, she’d need to put in years of study. Possibly longer than her measly human lifespan could handle.

“So what’s the news?” Mokou stood out of her chair and cracked her knuckles. “Any luck on Koishi-san’s side of things?”

Nitori shook her head. “She did a lap of the city with Sango-san. Still no sign of the seventh Teardrop.”

“And Komachi-san?”

“They drew a total blank. Not a scrap of evidence.”

Mokou let out a long, heaving sigh as she spun about in her chair. She’d been waiting in the wings, ready for deployment if anything arose, but ultimately nothing had.

“So we’re out of leads, then.”

Nitori nodded. “Sorry for keeping you around for nothing, Mokou-san.”

“S’fine.” The Siren twiddled her thumbs. “I’m not much of a detective, anyway. I’d prefer the forensics department.”

“I assumed that,” Nitori said, looking up at the jumbled mess that filled the screen. Mokou felt strangely empowered, watching the kappa struggle to follow what she had already learned.

“Anyway, I doubt you’ll have to wait around for long. The Claw will probably make a move soon.”

“Really?” Mokou brought the chair’s spinning to a halt. “What makes you think that?”

“They’re after the Teardrops, remember?” Now it was Nitori’s turn to act smug, waving a condescending finger in Mokou’s face. “Even if we’re stuck at a stalemate now, we have five Teardrops to their one. They’re on the back foot, and they’re going to have to do something drastic to reclaim them.”

“Drastic doesn’t sound good.”

“It’s not, but we’ll just have to be ready for whatever they throw at us.” Nitori stretched, a long yawn falling from her lips. “Still, it’s getting pretty late. You’d better head home before your family starts wondering why you’ve gone missing again.”

Mokou frowned. “But I’m just getting started. Can I at least get another half-hour?”

Nitori folded her arms and looked down on the Siren in disapproval. “And what exactly are you going to do with this knowledge?”

“What, you think I’m gonna start touting myself as some new-age alchemist?” Mokou laughed off the idea. “I’m not an idiot, Kawashiro-sensei. Even if I wanted to, I’m willing to bet the Pearl would clamp down on me in no time.”

Nitori didn’t reply, but the sharp glare she gave Mokou may as well have been a yes. Mokou pouted, taking offense at the accusation.

“Long story short, alchemy is still fifty percent chemistry. And you youkai have figured out a few fine details we humans are still pondering over.”

“So you’re going to plunder our work for your own benefit, basically.”

“Not quite.” Mokou smirked knowingly. “But let’s imagine some local laboratories receive an anonymous paper, listing recipes for a few new medicines. Stuff that’ll improve a lot of lives, and maybe even save a few. And so no-one can claim personal ownership, the recipes show up on the internet round about the same time.” She shrugged and leaned back in the chair. “Now, all things considered, would you really call that a bad thing?”

The question was enough to leave Nitori shaken, her disappointment shifting into uncertainty. Mokou stared straight onward, her expression never faltering.

After a long standoff, the kappa pinched the bridge of her nose and growled. “Alright, you win. But if I catch you taking the credit for any of these new discoveries-”

“You’ll pull my life force out of my butt?”

“We don’t do that!” Nitori snapped. “That’s just you humans being fanciful with your folklore.”

“Uh-huh. Sure.” Mokou turned back to the computer. “So am I getting that half-hour, or what?”

Nitori looked ready to vent steam from her ears. She put a hand on her hip, squeezing her side to vent her frustrations. “Just don’t break anything, understand?”

“Aye aye, cap’n.” Mokou gave the kappa a salute as she turned back to the computer, calling up the next set of equations with a few keystrokes. She didn’t even notice Nitori leave the room and close the door behind her; by then, she was already lost in her work.

“But how can-oh, wait. I see...”

-----

Sleep was not coming easily for Koishi tonight.

She had given time to every relaxation technique she knew. She’d counted sheep. She’d helped herself to a warm cup of milk. She even tried some cunning reverse psychology, lying in bed and doing everything she could to stay awake. None of it had helped her stay asleep for any longer than an hour.

She glanced over at her alarm clock. Five a.m. The first few glints of sunrise were creeping over the horizon. By now there was almost no point in trying any more. Conceding defeat at last, she pulled herself out of bed and shuffled over to her study desk.

“So where did I leave off last time...?”

She grabbed the closest textbook, turning to the page with the folded corner. Differential calculus equations flooded the paper, each as ugly and convoluted as its neighbours. Koishi picked up a pen and slowly worked through her backlog - if she wouldn’t be able to sleep, it only made sense to do something productive with her time.

A few minutes later, the door to her room creaked open.

“Koishi-san?” Sango said. “What’re you doing up this early?”

Koishi turned towards the dolphin, brushing away a strand of hair from her face. “Morning, Sango-san. Couldn’t stay asleep, so I’m trying to catch up on all the work I’ve missed.”

Sango eyed the sizable pile of jotters and notebooks strewn across the desk. “Looks like you might be there for a while.”

“Well, the work does sort of pile up when you disappear for a week at a time.” Koishi tapped the end of her pen against the desk as she wracked her brain for an answer. “Even with Kawashiro-sensei vouching for me, the other teachers think I’m some kind of truant now. Cirno-san’s the one giving me study sessions now so I can make up for lost time.”

Sango took a seat next to Koishi and looked on the textbook. “Let me see if I can-” The excitement dropped out of her voice the moment she saw the problems. “Uhhh, actually, that might be a beyond me.” She scratched her head. “I guess I can be your moral support, or something? Like a cheerleader.”

Koishi smiled. “Thanks, Sango-san. I appreciate it.” She turned back to the work, shuffling through the problems at a gradual pace. She gained speed after Sango brought her a cup of cocoa - even if the dolphin had used a little too much milk for her liking.

The two sat together in peaceful silence for a few minutes before Koishi spoke up. “Sango-san, what are you planning to do when this is all over?”

“Eh?” The question caught Sango off guard. “Uh...I guess I’d go home and live with my old pod again.”

“But what are you going to do with yourself?” Koishi turned to face Sango, her expression growing more serious. “You’ve spent your whole life training to be with the White Pearl, to take part in this war. What’ll you do after we win?”

“Well, I’ll...” Sango hesitated, staring at the wall as her mouth hung agape. “Actually, I never really thought of that. Everything else seemed like it didn’t matter, y’know? I mean, the whole world’s at stake here.”

Koishi nodded. Sango’s thoughts mirrored her own unnervingly closely. Her duties as a Siren had given her a new reason to live and act, but that couldn’t last forever. Beyond that her future felt distant and blank, and she had no idea what she planned to make of it.

“I guess it won’t help anyone if I get stuck moping about the future now,” Sango continued. “All we can really do is be as ready for it as possible. You’ve gotta focus on living today before you worry about tomorrow.”

“Hmmm...I guess that makes sense.” Koishi straightened her back, sitting a little taller than she had before. “It’ll just be strange going back to the way I used to be. Will I just have to take the whole thing to the grave with me?”

“...Probably, yeah.” Sango sighed. “Sorry, Koishi-san, but you know what’s at stake here. If humans ever became aware of magic again, it’d end badly for everyone.”

The same claim again. She’d heard Nitori say it a hundred times now. Humans couldn’t be trusted with the destructive power of magic. They’d already brought the world to ruin once before, after all.

Something about that belief made Koishi’s heart tremble. Were humans really as brutal and foolish as that? She thought of all the people she had met and helped in her time as a Siren. Many had seemed ill-willed at first, but had any of them been outright malicious in their intent?

Before she could come up with an answer to her own question, she was interrupted by a knock on the door.

“Does Koishi Komeiji live here?”

Koishi gasped. The voice was unfamiliar, and already it reminded her of the last time she’d let a stranger in. She turned to Sango with a silent nod, grabbing her Teardrop from the cabinet and tip-toeing towards the entrance. It was a good thing the pets were asleep at this hour - keeping them quiet was a complication Koishi didn’t want to handle right now.

The knocking continued, louder this time. “I need to ask you some questions.” The voice was feminine but deep, and it boomed with the authority of command. “I’m authorised to use force if I have to, Komeiji-san. Let me in.”

Koishi didn’t need to be a mind reader to catch the violent intent in her visitor’s voice. Sango pointed her into the living room, standing between her and the entrance.

What’s going on? The Claw’s never been this upfront before...

The frantic knocking fell suddenly silent. The atmosphere in the room was so heavy that Koishi struggled to breathe. It was as if all the air had been sucked from the room. Seconds felt like hours, and minutes felt like days.

The silence was shattered as the front door flew open, a mighty impact almost knocking it off its hinges.

“I warned you.”

The woman stepped into the hallway, her immaculate suit a stark contrast to her aggressive nature. As she appeared in the doorway, Sango leaped forward to swing at her.

“Hyaaa-”

The woman waved her hand once in Sango’s direction, and the dolphin froze in place. A small grey circle emerged around her feet, quickly forming a cylinder that encased her. Sango’s eyes glazed over, hanging in place without even breathing.

“Sango-san!”

Koishi’s brain fired on all cylinders as she lifted her Teardrop to the air. Before she could finish the incantation, a gust of wind blew the gem from her hand and sent it crashing to the floor.

“Ah-”

She leaped forward to grab it, only for a well-polished shoe to step on the source of her power. The visitor stared down on her with something resembling disappointment.

“I’d have thought the Sirens of legend would have been more capable of defending themselves.”

Her eyes shot into the back of Koishi’s head. The Siren’s brain was still churning, trying to come up with some sort of plan to turn the situation about.

The last thing she expected was for the woman to lift her foot and give Koishi all the time in the world to reclaim the Teardrop.

“Calm yourself,” the woman said. “I didn’t come here to fight you.”

“Then what did you do to Sango-san?” Koishi grabbed the Teardrop and jumped backwards, keeping a closer grip on it this time. The dolphin still hung in place, utterly motionless.

The woman looked back on Sango with a snarl. “I think you’ll find that your friend attacked me first. I simply acted in self defense. Don’t worry, it’s a simple stasis field. She’ll be fine as soon as it’s dispelled.”

Apparently considering that a suitable introduction, the woman lowered herself onto the couch and made herself comfortable. Even when she was at rest, she let off a pressure more intense than anything Koishi had ever witnessed.

“Nyaah!”

A cry rang out from the hallway as Rin dashed into the room, Utsuho flapping in right behind her. The commotion must have woken them up. It didn’t take them long to decide their opinion on the newcomer - Rin hissed and glared in her direction, while Utsuho perched herself on Koishi’s lap and held her wings outwards.

“Cute,” the woman said, smiling derisively. “Though I have to question why it took them so long to come to your rescue.”

Koishi wasn’t sure if that insult was aimed at her or her pets. Maybe it was both. She lowered herself onto the chair opposite her new guest, Rin jumping up onto her lap as soon as the chance arose. Their open hostility made an already tense atmosphere outright aggressive.

“Who are you?” she asked. “I assume you’re some sort of youkai.”

“Oh? Whatever gave you that idea?” The woman couldn’t have fit more sarcasm into her words if she had tried. “It’s good to see that Kawashiro remembered to teach her apprentices a thing or two.”

“You know Kawashiro-sensei?”

“Not personally, no. But I know of her, and I need a lackey to deliver a message for me.”

Already Koishi had been written off as a slave for menial labour. She considered complaining, then took one look at the statuesque Sango and thought better of it.

“You didn’t answer my question,” she said. “Who are you?”

The youkai smiled. “Stubborn, aren’t we? I suppose it is only polite to introduce myself.”

Seemingly satisfied, the woman stood up from her spot on the chair. She spread her arms outward, vanishing for a moment in a flash of light.

When she reappeared, nine golden fox tails swirled about behind her, and a pair of matching ears protruded from her head. The raw power that oozed from her was stronger than ever.

“I am Ran Yakumo, ruler of the beastfolk and successor to the legacy of Yukari Yakumo. It was my master who created the gem that you rely on to fend for yourself.”

Koishi felt like she had shrunk a foot. It wasn’t just a matter of strength - she was in the presence of a ruler, and Ran Yakumo acted every ounce as powerful as she claimed to be. Even the pets seemed frightened by the claim, Rin sinking a little deeper into Koishi’s lap and Utsuho hiding behind her master’s head. Koishi gulped down her fear, keeping her voice calm and even.

“So what’s your message?”

“A warning, if you will.” A brutal glimmer shone in the fox’s eyes. “Today, I plan to murder the youkai Mamizou Futatsuiwa.”

It took a few seconds for the initial bewilderment to pass. “And...why are you telling me this?”

“Is it not the White Pearl’s duty to keep magic from being discovered?” Ran frowned, as if her motives were blatantly obvious. “I want you and your companions on the scene, ready to handle the fallout when it happens. Do I make myself clear?”

Her words were blunt, leaving no room for objection. Ran took that silence as consent, and wore the confident smile of a woman who knew she was in charge.

“Good. Futatsuiwa is in hiding at the Gensouto Zoo. I will give you an hour to assemble the rest of your companions. Not a second more, do you understand?”

Koishi nodded. Ran’s smile grew wider, and with a wave of a hand she dismissed her ears and tails. She made a long and arduous motion of preening her suit, flattening out the creases her transformation had created.

It was only when Ran looked towards the door that Koishi found her voice again.

“Wait, Yakumo-san. I have a question.”

Ran turned back, her face as welcoming as a thunderstorm. “Make it quick.”

“This Futatsuiwa...” Koishi’s hands balled into fists. “Why do you want to kill her?”

“That is none of your concern,” Ran answered. “It is an affair between two youkai, and you’d do well to stay out of it.”

“No.” Koishi’s hand squeezed at her Teardrop, the gem letting off a faint orange light. “I can’t sit back and let you murder another living creature. Especially if you won’t tell me why.”

Ran’s eyebrows lifted. “Did I mishear you, or did you just threaten me?”

Every nerve in Koishi’s body told her to pull back, but her heart roared out in defiance. “I don’t care who you are. If I have to, I’ll stop you myself.”

The fox youkai flinched. For an instant, a vile scowl came across her, and Koishi tensed herself for the fox to lash out.

Instead, Ran let out a hearty laugh.

“My, aren’t we courageous? Perhaps my master had a reason for choosing you after all.”

She turned back to the exit, giving her tie one final straightening. “Speak with Kawashiro. She’ll tell you everything you want to know.” With those as her parting words, Ran Yakumo strode out the way she had entered, another gust of wind slamming the front door shut behind her.

The cylinder surrounding Sango vanished, and the dolphin finished the motion she had started five minutes earlier. “-aaah!” Her hand swung at nothing, and she stumbled forward into the wall. “What the-where’d she go?” She twirled about in search of the intruder, turning back to Koishi when her search turned up nothing. “Koishi-san, what just happened?”

Koishi had no idea where to even begin with answering that. In the space of five minutes an avalanche of facts had just come crashing down on her. All she could think to do was act.

“Sango-san. Call everyone. Right now.”

“Eh?” Sango’s eyes widened. “What for? What’s going on?”

“Does it matter?” Rin had already taken on her youkai form, pushing Sango along. “All that matters is that it’s a job for you professionals.” Utsuho was slightly less insistent than her fellow pet, staying in crow form and flying away to collect the phone.

“There’s no time.” Koishi was already headed for her room to change out of her nightgown. “I’ll explain on the way.”

As she darted towards the closet, she took one small glance at the math booklets lying unfinished on the desk. It was amazing how minor everything else seemed when lives were on the line.

-----

“You don’t need to sit that far away from me, you know.”

The hawk eyed up Nazrin tentatively from a distance. Her pale red eyes were full of childish curiosity, and her wings flapped eagerly behind her.

“I’m fine, thanks,” Nazrin replied, with her back on the opposite side of the cage. “Sorry if I’m feeling a bit uncomfortable around my natural predator.”

“Hey, don’t be like that.” The girl pouted. She seemed to be one of the youngest members of the flock, but she’d already said more than her fellow youkai put together. Maybe that was why she’d been chosen to speak on their behalf. “I’ve never even seen a live mouse before, never mind eaten one.”

“That’s no guarantee you won’t start now.”

The girl had no answer to that. She scratched at her forehead, her fingernails extending like talons. She bent her knees, staying firmly on the tree branch she’d picked out for herself.

“Anyway, name’s Tsukasa. I’m guessing you’re that mouse that’s been running ragged around the place all night?”

“I see my reputation precedes me.”

“Yeah, well, it’s not like we’ve got much to talk about in here. We were all taking bets on what all the fuss was about.” Tsukasa turned back to the hawks on higher branches. “Isn’t that right, everyone?”

There was no response. Tsukasa took the silence in her stride, turning back with another flap of her wings. “Don’t mind ‘em, they’re just anxious around visitors. So, what’s the big story you’re passing round?”

Nazrin’s jaw ached as she started to speak. She’d recited this plan so many times now she would probably be muttering it in her sleep. She wondered how the birds would react to it - she’d seen a variety of reactions from the various animals here. The larger animals had been anxious about how they would escape, while the smaller ones had been all too happy to go along with the plan.

“A breakout?” Tsukasa’s eyes twinkled. “As in, we all get to leave?”

Nazrin nodded. “Mamizou said she’s been planning this for a while. All the cages are sealed with an electronic lock, so she’s going to sneak into the security office and open them all at once.”

“And then we can escape?” Tsukasa looked up at the morning sky in wonder. She had probably never traveled far from her cage before. Her wings were flapping madly as she turned back to the flock. “Hey, everyone! Did you hear that? We’re going to get out of here!”

Again, none of the hawks paid the slightest bit of attention. This time Tsukasa let her emotions show, her toe-talons digging into the wood.

“Seems like your friends aren’t the most social folk,” Nazrin said. She wasn’t sure if it was meant as a simple observation or a snide comment, and came out as a fusion of the two.

“Yeah, well.” Tsukasa’s expression grew suddenly solemn. “They’ve not had the best of times here.”

Nazrin tensed. “How so?”

“Can’t say I know much. I’ve only been here a few weeks - got brought in from another zoo pretty recently. But the visitors...well, they’re not the nicest folk.” She pulled out one wing, revealing some missing feathers. “There’s always a group of kids that comes along and throws pebbles into the cage. They’ve got some good aim, that’s for sure.”

Nazrin stared for too long at the wounds. She looked up at the other hawks hidden away on higher perches. They had the same injuries Tsukasa was sporting, only worse.

“Shouldn’t the zookeepers be doing something about that?” Nazrin asked.

Tsukasa rolled her eyes. “They should, but they don’t. They’ll shove these kids out, but a week later they’ll be back and it’ll be the same all over again. And there’s like half a dozen of these little crowds who think it’s fun to play target practice with the birdies.”

Nazrin winced. She couldn’t imagine going through what these youkai had suffered. Yet from the dark look on Tsukasa’s face, the worst was yet to come.

“And then...well, there’s the reason I’m here.” The hawk looked up at the higher branches, at an unfilled gap where talons had left their mark. “There was another hawk here. Sora, I think her name was. One time, the kids threw a stone hard enough to break her wing.”

Nazrin gulped. She could already sense where this was going, and she braced herself for it.

“Of course, it was nothing a few weeks of medical care couldn’t fix. The problem was that sort of care cost a lot of time and money. And Sora was old - they didn’t want to waste all that effort on a bird that was going to die soon anyway.”

Tsukasa hung her head, as if to hide from her fellow youkai. “So they put her down and brought me in to replace her. You might have noticed the rest of the youkai aren’t too fond of me. That’s why.”

Already Nazrin regretted the question. This wasn’t the first horror story she’d heard on her trip across the zoo. Every visit led her to another story of abuse and neglect. The guilt hung ever-present in the back of her mind - why had she been spared, while her fellow youkai suffered? Had her master been one of the few exceptions to the rule?

She’d heard stories and legends of how the humans’ greed and jealousy had started a war that nearly ended the world. Only now did she start believing them.

“Hey...” Tsukasa filled the silence that followed, biting her lip and looking upwards again. “When this breakout happens, there aren’t going to be any humans around, right? I’ll probably just run for it, but my friends...they might want to get some payback.”

Nazrin shook her head. “Mamizou planned for that. She’s going to set off a fire alarm before releasing the locks so the visitors won’t be in any danger.”

“That’s good to hear.” Tsukasa brushed at her wing. “Even if it’d be good to fling a pebble back at one of those little jerks for a change.”

Nazrin nodded in understanding. This wasn’t the first time she’d been asked that question - bigger animals like the elephants had been afraid they’d lose control amidst the panic and crush innocent visitors as they fled. Others, like the wolves, simply wanted fewer obstacles between them and the exit.

Where would they go after they escaped? Nazrin didn’t know. But for most of them, anywhere had to be better than here.

“Well, I have a few more visits to make. It’s almost opening time.” Nazrin gave Tsukasa a small salute. “Keep on the lookout for when the doors unlock.”

“Understood.” Tsukasa saluted as well, but she used her wing instead of her arm. “Tell Mamizou-san that we’re in her debt.”

“You’re not the first person to tell me that tonight,” Nazrin said. She shifted back into her mouse form, slipping through the fence and out of the bird enclosure.

And I have a feeling you won’t be the last.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 11:45:50 AM by Gregorou Housekanken »

« Reply #566 on: May 12, 2013, 12:30:25 PM »
Man, i sure hope Mami doesn't end up like Shou.... rest her soul....
also, seems Naz is an omen of death, everyone she paired up with so far marked for death or dead.... or she could just be unfortunate....

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #567 on: May 12, 2013, 12:33:11 PM »
What I do think is that the seventh teardrop is going to make an unexpected appearance soon.

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #568 on: May 12, 2013, 07:22:14 PM »
SPOILERS

SEVENTH TEARDROP IS SANGO

SHE MADE A WISH TO BE A DOLPHIN GIRL WAY LONG AGO

erm, I mean

Damn, Ran is bad-ass.

« Reply #569 on: May 13, 2013, 12:07:43 PM »
Ahh, I feel that my questions regarding Mami are about to be answered.

and then later on we see Nitori has an insta-kill technique where she rips the opponent's soul out of their butt in a FATALITY-style.