Author Topic: PSN launches PS2 Classics section  (Read 2786 times)

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
PSN launches PS2 Classics section
« on: October 05, 2011, 12:37:51 AM »
Yup!  Finally, after a long time in waiting, Sony's announced that they are releasing some Playstation 2 games on the Playstation Network, exactly as they have been doing for PS1 games.  Each of them are a simple 10$ to purchase - the same as many of the 'more desired' PS1 classics, surprising a lot of people!  Pushing for Playstation-exclusive games, they've decided to rerelease some of the "rare and beloved PS2 exclusives".

What's the launch list?

-Odin Sphere (Video) ; the action RPG that launched Vanillaware into fame with the gaming community for its absolutely gorgeous visuals (It's all sprite-based but extremely lovingly so) and difficult gameplay.  Personally I didn't actually like it that much, but I know a lot of people that disagree there.
-gRiMgRiMoiRe (Video) ; Vanillaware's second game that flew under the radar comparatively.  A 2D Real-time-strategy that I admittedly don't know much about.
-Ring of Red (Video) ; Konami SRPG that hybrids real-time and turn-based strategy, also lots of mechs.  I hadn't even heard of this but it looks pretty good actually, if a bit slow.
-Maximo: Ghosts to Glory (Video) ; Capcom's 3D Platformer and sequal to the Ghosts & Goblins series.  Known for being as tough as its predecessors at times!
-God Hand (Video) ; HOLY SHIT IT'S THE MOTHER FUCKING GOD HAND.  I can't say enough about this game; one of the most beautiful, wacky, skillful, and obscenely difficult beat-em-up/action games of all time, made by the same team responsible for Viewtiful Joe and later Bayonetta.  You need this game in your life.

Well, so much for my spare cash this paycheque~

Drake

Re: PSN launches PS2 Classics section
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 01:18:02 AM »
i'm p sure sony specifically didn't include backwards compatibility solely for the purpose of getting people to buy ports of the ps2 games they already own

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Mr. Sacchi

• All shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.
  • Not postponed. Not in the end. Not for long.
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 01:35:52 AM »
I'm still begging for Rogue Galaxy to go into PSN one day.

That or Persona 3 FES.

Now I shall be adding Odin Sphere and God Hand to my list of "things to buy on PSN when I get the chance", right above "Fallout: New Vegas DLCs"

Which were pretty much anything I was gonna buy anyway.

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 01:41:42 AM »
meh- FUCKING GOD HAND

If I had the game before on PS2, I'd probably be a lot less willing to pay for it (I do still have my PS2, after all). But this is instead a nice way to get some new games that might be harder to find otherwise. (In the case of God Hand, I don't think I could find it at most stores around here; it'd have to be ordered online.)

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 02:13:59 AM »
Not a bad selection. Is God Hand really that hard? I remember playing Maximo but I didn't do well with it, personally...It's good to see they're finally putting forth the PS2 titles and give us a chance to play some of them.

What I really would like to see is a Ratchet and Clank HD remake collection, but I don't know how that'll be done since there's like six games before the PS3 ones. Also, has anyone seen Suikoden 3? It allows you to take your save data from the previous game, but I'm not sure how the PS3 will handle stuff like that.

Jes_Isaive

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 02:42:09 AM »

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 06:56:25 AM »
Not a bad selection. Is God Hand really that hard?
Very much so.  It's very easy to get surrounded, button flailing just gets you nailed and does little damage, and wasting your powerful moves too early will leave you wide open to demons; plus, the game has a visible scaling system that changes how dangerous the enemies are with how well you're doing (It's manipulatable, of course, by using taunts and such).  With that said, the game's got an excellently implemented dodge system, plenty of customization and options for going into combat, and honestly gives you all the tools you need to beat the game - it's just that you're going to actually have to pay attention to your fighting and learn your enemies to survive.

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 04:57:24 AM »
GOD HAND

...no Okami?

Thanks to GreenVirus for the Siggy.
My TF2 Backpack of DOOM

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 06:20:58 AM »
GOD HAND

...no Okami?
Nope.  I think for now they're looking for stuff released exclusively on PS2 to support, since they're doing a drive over here for "Only on Playstation" titles.