Author Topic: ITT Musical instruments we play  (Read 33388 times)

Slaves

• uHHH,
  • uHHHHHHHHHH,,,
Re: ITT Musical instruments we play
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2010, 02:13:56 AM »
And hair too.  :o

it's not nice to make fun of old people either, bully. >:I

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2010, 02:35:06 AM »
Primarily a clarinet player but in high school I also did tenor sax and flute (my senior year I was switched to flute despite being 1st clarinet because there were NO FLUTE PLAYERS wtf how does that happen?) and played recorder once for pit orchestra  :V

I was a gigantic band geek in high school, funny how I went to college at a school that didn't have any sort of music program, so I only recently picked up clarinet again after uh, 5 years or so and began toot-tooting away.

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2010, 02:45:55 AM »
I was a gigantic band geek in high school, funny how I went to college at a school that didn't have any sort of music program, so I only recently picked up clarinet again after uh, 5 years or so and began toot-tooting away.

You will be my inspiration :*

Yeah, I'm a bit dismayed myself of how big of a band geek I was in high school, yet having that part of my life completely drop to the wayside once I hit college.
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2010, 02:48:38 AM »
Slaves I am not OLD!

damn you kids and your synthesized musics.

Chinese drums are monotonous really, but damn, when there is a troupe with you eveyrthing you do feels supercharged. They should try that at the national football league, I think the players will play like it is the last day of their lives.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 02:50:18 AM by Alstroemeria-F »
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Barrakketh

• You're suddenly Director of Fixing That Shit!
  • Vice President of It's Your Problem Now.
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2010, 02:51:04 AM »
I ended up dropping band because I lost interest.  Didn't like the music we played, ended up not liking at least half of the members in high school (the amount increased once the seniors graduated), and didn't like the sax enough to put up with everything else.

Sadly there were no programs that covered strings since they comprised most of the instrumental music I listen(ed) to.
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2010, 02:53:59 AM »
I play the butt trumpet after a good meal =[

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2010, 03:00:05 AM »
You will be my inspiration :*

Yeah, I'm a bit dismayed myself of how big of a band geek I was in high school, yet having that part of my life completely drop to the wayside once I hit college.

It was a trade off for me - I'm glad I did my undergrad where I did (also having a scholarship that made it cheaper than community college helped make that choice for me too!) and I really didn't have a stable enough homework/study schedule to do a formal band program, but I really did feel like I was missing something the further out from high school I got :(

« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2010, 03:20:27 AM »
Violin for 11 and a half years.

Most glorious musical instrument ever created y/y

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2010, 03:37:51 AM »
Piano since I was 8, though I've been on a nearly two year break to focus on college. Interestingly, Touhou is what's making me get back into playing piano.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2010, 03:45:48 AM »
Played Piano cause I'm asian so my parents told me to :]

In high school I played percussion, but mostly xylophone since the other percussionists didn't really like it. In the end I was the best Xylophone player in my grade :] :] :]  (and in grade 12; the whole school, although some of the people who graduated before me we still way better :ohdear:)

dustyjo

« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2010, 03:48:40 AM »
I wish I never gave up piano ;_;

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2010, 04:42:58 AM »
This thread is really really making me want to get myself a new violin as soon as possible.
Remindingme of how I loved the thing.
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2010, 04:47:09 AM »
Quite the musical bunch we have here on motk, that is quite interesting to read.  Shame some people dropped it or stopped practising it. But yea I can understand some of them.

I play - surprisingly (not) - the guitar. Currently electric, but planning on buying a cheap acoustic as well. After a year of messing around I haven't really build up skills. Mostly because I don't pursue the instrument to put more effort into it. Hope to improve that though upcoming days of my life. Example of what I somewhat can:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IYC7sqCbME

Silent Harmony

• Everybody needs the Pharmarcy
  • Justice never dies!
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2010, 04:53:19 AM »
  • Started on piano for a couple of years (around 5-7). My sister was learning to play so of course I had to as well.
  • Played Recorder between 3rd-5th grade.
  • Picked up the Baritone/Euphonium in middle school (not my first choice) and stuck with it until I graduated high school.
  • Related to above: Played 4 years of Marching Band. Was part of the 2001 Class A State Champions. 8)
  • Played 3 years of Pit in drumline (Chimes, Bells, and Rack).
  • Have played Drums at my church for....5-6 years now.
  • Picked up Guitar last fall.

Yeah, I've been around music as far as I remember.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 04:56:43 AM by Mimeslayer »

1CC List (all shmups)
League of Legends / Battle.net: Harmony11(#1694)

« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2010, 05:27:08 AM »
All of this makes me want to buy a piano. Maybe not a grand piano like we used to own, but just a simple piano just so I can play some songs on it again.

Affinity

• hoho
  • ... but I have promises to keep.
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2010, 06:13:43 AM »
Piano... Grade 8, and after army, I would like to go on to better and greater things.  I compose a little as well.

And chinese orchestral music and their musicians are worthy of envy.

Paul Debrion

• Highroller
  • Back again for more!
« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2010, 06:18:16 AM »
I used to play the piano, but I haven't done so at all for at least three years now.
I'll come up with an evil scheme later. First, it's time to build a giant robot!

You can't have a good evil scheme without a giant robot!

Furienify

• Yeehaw!
  • Equestrian Fansubber
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2010, 06:20:33 AM »
I was supposed to be one of the band geeks too, it came with all the smrt kids. Except we could never afford it. ;_;

Lately though my boyfriend's been introducing me to piano. Love it. I want to play me some Touhous.

(there was also mandatory xylophone and recorder playing in Elementary school... man, I can almost remember Mary Had a Little Lamb's notes!)

« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2010, 06:22:53 AM »
My fellow clarinetists (and the rest of you too I suppose), I come and join you, bringing a song that damn if that's not an awesome bass clarinet solo near the end for your appreciation. Or something like that.

So yeah, clarinet~
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 06:27:07 AM by Arashi Kurobara »

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2010, 06:27:29 AM »
I can beatbox like a neophyte.

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2010, 07:16:08 AM »
Well, I can't drum for shit it seems beside the simple chinese styled one.

this sucks.

I personally want to get back into it, except when I do, neighbours are gonna scream their heads off.
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Kinzo the Astro Curious

• One small step for Desu; One giant leap for touhou-kind!
« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2010, 07:20:50 AM »
I joined the music club at the university to try and learn piano, but I really haven't had the time to book lessons. I've taught myself a little and can play some of a simple arrange of border of life... badly.

I was pleased to get something that sounded somewhat right out of the piano at least :V

but I'm sure I'm doing the hand wrong, and I cant play with two hands yet either. Nor can I read the key at the start of the music notes properly, I just sorta guess what its supposed to mean as it doesn't seem as simple as it did at first glance.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2010, 07:37:23 AM »
Bass, mandolin, guitar and banjo.

Started with bass just because. It's bad-ass. Then I started dating my first girlfriend as a freshman in high school, and wanted to impress her by writing her a song. I figured singing and bass alone would be a bit too sparse, so I wanted to go with something else. A mandolin is eight strings, but it's actually four pairs of strings. And while the bass strings go E, A, D, G, on mandolin the pairs of strings are G, D, A, E. Plus it's romantic. So I went with that. After a while I figured as long as I'm playing mandolin I might as well learn guitar, so I taught myself guitar. Later on down the road, I fell in love with the banjo, and bought one. Banjo is incredibly easy to play, too.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Zakenna

• fomer Internet tough guy
  • Ahh After 10,000 years I'm free!
    • polyvinylcrush
« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2010, 12:56:32 PM »
Similar story to Triangles, Primarily a clarinetist switched to Euphonium for marching band because didn't have any and needed one. Recently I've picked up the recorder for shits and giggles (can play a majority of the azumanga daioh soundtrack :D) I also picked up trumpet about a month ago and I'm making leaps and bounds in terms of progression there but still no where near where I want to be.  I also started practicing my clarinet again after Triangles posted that recording.

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2010, 02:16:52 PM »
I'm jealous to all of your who had money to have an instrument to play on.

With this, I never tried anything, so I don't really know if I have any kind of talent at all.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2010, 02:20:29 PM »
I'm jealous to all of your who had money to have an instrument to play on.

With this, I never tried anything, so I don't really know if I have any kind of talent at all.
Don't you have like music clubs at school or areas where you can practise/try out things you like. And you speak of money but aside from large instruments, I don't see much money going into them. Example, I got my first guitar (2nd hand) for 30 euros (later on sold for 50 :V)

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2010, 02:33:45 PM »
I mained trumpet before college, and my alts were flute, french horn, and mellophone. Trying to learn the guitar right now and pick up the trumpet again over the summer. It's been years since i've played seriously :<

What you played horn too? brofist incoming

Swap french horn for main and trumpet for alt and you well, have a very small portion of the instruments I can play =|

I uhh, mained the french horn (first chair from basically 6th grade on, concert band/orchestra) and trombone (jazz band) and mellophone (marching band).  I can play the trumpet, the tuba, the baritone/euphonium, the flute, the clarinet, the bassoon, and violin.  I can also play the drumset pretty decently.  Currently I'm looking to take up cello and piano, and maybe guitar =T

My senior year of highschool I took 7 music classes (and one english class).  They ran out of music classes to give me, and my senior band plaque basically just has every single class possible listed on it.  Then I went to college and that's the day the music died.

I miss music :(
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 02:39:34 PM by TheStupidOne aka TSO aka TeeEssOh aka BakaHime aka ? »

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2010, 03:11:47 PM »
Don't you have like music clubs at school or areas where you can practise/try out things you like.

We don't have music clubs at school (school clubs doesn't exist here), and I never heard about such a thing where you can try out things for free.

Ruka

• Lab Syndrome
  • "Even a failure produces valid results."
    • Ruka Sari Sari
« Reply #58 on: April 16, 2010, 03:15:28 PM »
I used to play keyboard type stuff in band during high school (xylophone, vibraphone, marimba, chimes) since I wasn't good at snares. I dabble into a little piano, but I can't coordinate my left hand to do the bass.

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #59 on: April 16, 2010, 05:50:18 PM »
What you played horn too? brofist incoming

Swap french horn for main and trumpet for alt and you well, have a very small portion of the instruments I can play =|

I uhh, mained the french horn (first chair from basically 6th grade on, concert band/orchestra) and trombone (jazz band) and mellophone (marching band).  I can play the trumpet, the tuba, the baritone/euphonium, the flute, the clarinet, the bassoon, and violin.  I can also play the drumset pretty decently.  Currently I'm looking to take up cello and piano, and maybe guitar =T

*FISTBUMP* And wow, talk about a lot of instruments. *_* I wanted to try tuba and baritone (along with any other instrument that had a trumpet-like mouthpiece), but I was dividing my time between colorguard, running the theatre sound board, and my primaries

I'm going to try and pick up trumpet and learn guitar harder over the summer.

My senior year of highschool I took 7 music classes (and one english class).  They ran out of music classes to give me, and my senior band plaque basically just has every single class possible listed on it.  Then I went to college and that's the day the music died.

I miss music :(

I only took three band courses my senior year, but I was splitting my time between band and theatre. :< And yeah, same story once I got to college.

We really should start an MotK band or two, seriously \o/ And it looks like we have a fair number of people who used to play instruments and are itching to start up again, so maybe we could even hold some kind of events or a thread so people can encourage each other to practice and share their progress.
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook