Author Topic: Questions, doubts, requests, answers - Public discussion thread.  (Read 170014 times)

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
Re: Questions, doubts, requests, answers - Public discussion thread.
« Reply #300 on: November 14, 2013, 04:57:40 PM »
Quests are generally open to all who wish to participate. For long-running games and established universes, you'll want to be sure you're solid on the necessary background info (a daunting task for the Purvisverse, to be sure!), but there are otherwise no barriers to entry.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Mr. Sacchi

• All shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.
  • Not postponed. Not in the end. Not for long.
« Reply #301 on: February 22, 2014, 12:03:12 AM »
The Purvisverse may be a daunting task to read through, but it is certainly fun, Barren Path (if you can even find it) is unnecessary and so is Ran's quest for the most part, if you wanna give Yukari quest a try, I'd suggest giving Maribel quest a priority read first, but make sure to read the entire series, fun reads (despite the occasional stupid mistake on the players parts,
Spoiler:
not asking Okuu about the flowers after we get her powers back, anyone?
) and you won't be lost whenever we/purvis reference something from a previous quest.

@e

... I just realized that question is months old I'm sorry.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 12:05:53 AM by Sacchi Hikaru »

Stifled Voices

• Nobody needs to say hello to me.
  • I try to speak, but I can't...
« Reply #302 on: March 01, 2014, 09:19:29 PM »
Have there been any sort of "games" where the creator makes an emerging story, offering up several choices at various points, that audiences can decide on before going through with the one of them, and when the whole thing's done, the game is ended and the resulting story moved into PSL? Is that allowed (because I want to make a story where during the development, I let the audience decide what should happen at various points, before ultimately going through with one of their suggestions, affecting the direction and end)? If not, how can I achieve something similar?

Also, do I have to do second person, or can I use third person? Can some games have choices that aren't just about deciding what the protagonists do but affecting the circumstances of the story (all under the GM's supervision of course)?

EDIT: Also, since my time is always in a crunch, an ASAP reply would be best (take your time though, I'm not forcing you).
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 01:05:47 AM by SoundsOfSilence »

O4rfish

• something seems fishy
  • paranoia 4 lyfe
    • Ask an Oarfish!
« Reply #303 on: March 02, 2014, 01:17:30 AM »
Just do it here, but how you want. Ignore commands that you don't like. Write however long you want for each post. Present specific options.
Good examples might include Captain H's Mokou Quest, Stuffman's Purplequest, and Arashi's Clan Moordor thread in Akyu's Arcade.
[9:49:09] <Purvis> Generally not, but your mother may be an exception.

Stifled Voices

• Nobody needs to say hello to me.
  • I try to speak, but I can't...
« Reply #304 on: March 02, 2014, 05:32:10 AM »
Thanks, my story/game is now a go.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 05:54:14 AM by SoundsOfSilence »

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
« Reply #305 on: June 01, 2014, 05:24:32 AM »
First time in this sub, and I never knew the hidden gold here.

Great sub-forum!

EDIT: Question. Are we able to make games that are not RPGs/roleplays, etc.? I find them to be in a similar format, and I want to (eventually) make my own forum game.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 03:41:19 AM by bigyihsuan »
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #306 on: June 02, 2014, 12:03:49 PM »
Sure, as long as they aren't spammy +postcount games. Pescau dun like those.

« Reply #307 on: July 03, 2015, 02:31:08 AM »
What I need to do to start a game ?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #308 on: July 03, 2015, 02:46:50 AM »
Just make up your concept and make a post. The more substance in your post, the betterer your response tends to be. Don't break any rules, obviously.

« Reply #309 on: July 03, 2015, 02:52:55 AM »
Just make up your concept and make a post. The more substance in your post, the betterer your response tends to be. Don't break any rules, obviously.
Ok thank you

Failure McFailFace

• Impor
« Reply #310 on: July 15, 2015, 11:21:39 AM »
I notice that there's no guide to the mafias anywhere. I want to participate in them, but there's no information about them anywhere except in their own threads.

I feel like that the new people are being left out because they don't know how the mafias work, what to do, where to communicate, etc.
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

Suwako Moriya

• Hey you with the pretty face
  • Welcome to the human race!
« Reply #311 on: July 15, 2015, 12:34:52 PM »
That's because no one actually knows how to play Mafia.

Your best bet is to read some games, as well as take a peek through some of the Basics articles on the MafiaScum Wiki.
The only thing this dimension does well is show its ass. We might as well applaud it! - Albert Burneko

Well, this game happened.

Failure McFailFace

• Impor
« Reply #312 on: August 05, 2015, 03:12:48 AM »
Any reason why "traditional" forum games aren't tolerated at all here, other than the reasons "lol spam lol" and "lol post count++".

That last point doesn't even apply here, since you guys don't even care about post count. I think you guys should forbid people from posting in here if you have X number of mod/admin-approved posts elsewhere (ie not Beyond the Border subforums)

Dormio Ergo Sum

• MotK's Official Idlebot
  • I don't bite... much.
« Reply #313 on: August 05, 2015, 05:40:13 AM »
"lol spam lol" is pretty much the reason why.

Failure McFailFace

• Impor
« Reply #314 on: August 05, 2015, 10:08:29 PM »
Would a "pass the picture/save file around and add something to it" game count as lil spam, or would it go under Akyuu's Arcade in the case for the save file?

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #315 on: September 17, 2015, 04:19:35 PM »
Is there an interest in a thread similar to Don't Roll To Dodge? Namely, a playthrough of Tactics Ogre: Knight of Lodis, but different people get to control different characters. I'd need up to 7 other people and will be able to update on a daily basis.

SlimeKid

• Radical!
« Reply #316 on: March 16, 2016, 05:44:48 PM »
Are there any normal guidelines to creating quests or games that are simple in their rules or their mechanics, but still have the ability to span for long amounts of times even with a basic sort of plot? Also, is it wrong to mimic ideas taken from other games? After looking at the Roll to Dodge game here, I like the idea of rolling a die and getting a success of a failure afterwards, and I'm trying to formulate and expand on some plot that I can use for a game I wanna make myself!

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #317 on: March 23, 2016, 05:38:26 PM »
No real guideline that must be adhered to. Just try not to have cybering in it and you oughta be cool.

As for borrowing ideas, it's generally cool as long as you don't pretend that they're your ideas.

« Reply #318 on: January 20, 2019, 01:26:22 AM »
With these games will there be a one where the story follows some random manlet going on an adventure while the players make bad moves and get him killed right off the bat for using "seduce" on Yuuka?

« Reply #319 on: February 08, 2019, 01:36:01 PM »
Hi, everyone!

Taking a read in some of the ongoing Quests (Koakuma and Alice, mainly) was an interesting and great experience, to say the least. By the end of it, two questions regarding them came up :

-It was mentioned that anyone is free to participate in Quests if they wish. If it's a character-related Quest, how does that work? The players take turns in "controlling" the main character (this is kinda what I've noticed in Koakuma Quest but I may be wrong) or do they take on the roles of other characters?

-Will there be a Remilia Quest sometime? Or there was one by now? I'd reckon that would be quite an experience to play through.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 01:37:34 PM by Mr.Ownage »
Achieve your mission without regrets.

Suwako Moriya

• Hey you with the pretty face
  • Welcome to the human race!
« Reply #320 on: February 08, 2019, 02:06:30 PM »
For character-related quests, the entire player base controls the same player character. Anyone is free to input actions for the player character, and if there is internal conflict, it is typically the players' responsibility to sort it out. The parser/GM/what-have-you may or may not let internal conflicts influence actions taken.

There was a Remilia Quest several years ago (note that this is Thread 1 of 3). There may be another one in the future, depending on who gets what inspirations for game ideas.
The only thing this dimension does well is show its ass. We might as well applaud it! - Albert Burneko

Well, this game happened.

Neovereign

• Greatest Fairy
  • Everything will be daijoubu... hopefully
« Reply #321 on: February 09, 2019, 04:42:25 AM »
Hi, everyone!

Taking a read in some of the ongoing Quests (Koakuma and Alice, mainly) was an interesting and great experience, to say the least. By the end of it, two questions regarding them came up :

-It was mentioned that anyone is free to participate in Quests if they wish. If it's a character-related Quest, how does that work? The players take turns in "controlling" the main character (this is kinda what I've noticed in Koakuma Quest but I may be wrong) or do they take on the roles of other characters?

-Will there be a Remilia Quest sometime? Or there was one by now? I'd reckon that would be quite an experience to play through.
The situation with my quests makes me feel like very few people enjoy them, (and maybe some even hate them). But lurkers speaking up like this have brightened my mood on it.
I haven't been coming up with many quest ideas because of the aforementioned, and a lot of work just goes to waste when that happens. If you enjoy my style though and want a specific character, I don't think it'd be out of the question to try one...

« Reply #322 on: February 09, 2019, 11:30:03 PM »
I want to take part in some of these quests, but I don't know if I should join an ongoing one. So, I might as well ask if there is any problem with doing so(The guidelines tell me to not post in games with closed pools that I am not active in, and I am not sure about how this exactly works).
heyo

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #323 on: February 09, 2019, 11:36:07 PM »
The "closed pools" thing applies/d mostly to Mafia games. Text adventures can be assumed to be open pools unless the GM indicates otherwise (and it is safe to assume they will make it obvious the game is a closed-pool game).
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

« Reply #324 on: February 09, 2019, 11:52:51 PM »
The "closed pools" thing applies/d mostly to Mafia games. Text adventures can be assumed to be open pools unless the GM indicates otherwise (and it is safe to assume they will make it obvious the game is a closed-pool game).
Thanks for the help. I will look at some games later.
heyo

« Reply #325 on: February 10, 2019, 05:01:55 PM »
The situation with my quests makes me feel like very few people enjoy them, (and maybe some even hate them). But lurkers speaking up like this have brightened my mood on it.
I haven't been coming up with many quest ideas because of the aforementioned, and a lot of work just goes to waste when that happens. If you enjoy my style though and want a specific character, I don't think it'd be out of the question to try one...

Oh, come on... please don't look down on yourself like that!  Your style is simply so thoughtful, so descriptive, and all-around amazing! So much so that it even got me praying "When will he be making a Remilia Quest? That would be so wonderful!"

On the other hand, I'd say timezones would be quite an issue, since (from what the site says) we are quite radically different zones (I'm seven hours ahead of you), so I'm not sure how we could have it work out if one were to be set in motion. Oh well... perhaps there would be a solution... somehow.

Neovereign

• Greatest Fairy
« Reply #326 on: February 10, 2019, 05:48:58 PM »
Oh, come on... please don't look down on yourself like that!  Your style is simply so thoughtful, so descriptive, and all-around amazing! So much so that it even got me praying "When will he be making a Remilia Quest? That would be so wonderful!"

On the other hand, I'd say timezones would be quite an issue, since (from what the site says) we are quite radically different zones (I'm seven hours ahead of you), so I'm not sure how we could have it work out if one were to be set in motion. Oh well... perhaps there would be a solution... somehow.
It's not like Quests are a real time thing like a conversation. You could be a day ahead and it would be fine.
The only problem here......
Is what I would do for the story/plot...

« Reply #327 on: February 10, 2019, 07:29:01 PM »
It's not like Quests are a real time thing like a conversation. You could be a day ahead and it would be fine.
The only problem here......
Is what I would do for the story/plot...

Hmm... I see your point. In that case (not a real time thing) it could work out, after all.

About the story itself, while I wouldn't want to influence your choice, of course, it could perhaps begin with us (Remilia) having a leisurely day at the mansion, when (near the beginning of the story or somewhat after that) one of the (mansion) residence reports a strange occurence, perhaps a strange incident or similiar, and we'd have to investigate? Or a sort of "free roam" around Gensokyo, getting to know more residents, places, and such? The challenge of sunlight being harmful would bring quite an unique experience as well.

Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing your thoughts about it.

Branneg Xy

• ^UP http://www.miyasuke.net/flash/yuyugohan.html ^
    • (FREE) LINKEDIN PROFILE
« Reply #328 on: February 11, 2019, 02:47:11 AM »
 :) Glad to see there is more interest and will to actively,besides passively/by reading, take part in the "Quests(CYOA and RPG) and Games"! Do not be afraid to ask or give advice,clarification,etc. in the current active threads,even if one decides to not yetwrite up any command for ,by starting and ending the sentences like this : // text to be written.  :)
 8) I agree,a "Remilia  Quest(possibly a Remilia/SDM one )would be quite an experience! (For Source,Ref.Inspiration,Enjoyment etc.) A new one particulary,since there was already one completed(in Mystia's Stored Games,on pages 6-7 so far ,3 Threads) https://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,13013.0.html which was fairly brief for that kind of Quest and at the same time very enjoyable and quite well-structured; precisely it was around 2 full thread and an half(1st one I participated,among the few,in starting by the 2nd one). It was GMed/Parsed by   https://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=2832    (at the time " Sourfang") :8 and it had a loose,defintely longer,unfinished sequel in " Hatate Quest" https://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,15094.0.html  :o .
^^^^ http://www.miyasuke.net/flash/yuyugohan.html  " 西行寺幽々子の強奪!!隣の晩御飯 " ->>>
" Yuyuko Saigyouji 's "Uslurpation" !! Dinner is Next ".
( Possibilities of ENGrish ) ^^^^ .

Neovereign

• Greatest Fairy
« Reply #329 on: May 02, 2019, 03:01:58 AM »
Although I always think it's fine and welcoming for anyone to join one of the ongoing quests, it seems like it might not always be too possible, unfortunately...
Again, I'd welcome others, but from a player perspective, joining one seems difficult.

Perhaps it might be best to wait longer times for if anyone has interest in it's beginning, then pick up to normal pace...